Marina is Glorious!

JimandStan

JimandStan,

[/quote

We LOVE our Oceania Suite! We're in 11083, and our veranda wraps around the stern on the Starboard side. The hallways at the aft end of the hallway on deck 11 goes out to a crew only deck, which has a staircase up to the outside section of The Terrace, so the two Oceania suites have the only stern access on deck 11.

Do you know that your suite was actually completed while the ship was sailing in the middle of the atlantic? Due to construction delay, the owner's suite(s) and a few OC were completed by Italian carpenters who sailed with us all the way to Miami....... what a working holiday! I believe the 2 aft OC's could not accommodate guests until Miami.

You may be the first occupants of your suite.

The other OC's are indeed bigger, but they don't have your location. Enjoy.

We met one of the people who had originally booked these cabins. He had been notified 3 days before sailing that the facilities would not be ready and he would be placed in a PH. He was quite livid in spite of the fact that O was handling the situation with the class one would expect from them. His entire trip was complimentary.

Yes to the string quartet; one of the best I have heard aboard Oceania. They play occasionally in the GDR for such things as a special brunch, and initially played every evening in the atrium on Deck 5. However, last night they moved to the Grand Bar sitting area on Deck 6 before dinner. This made enormous good sense, as there is no obvious place to sit on deck 5 in the desk areas, the GDR is on Deck 6, and the Grand Bar area is a popular gathering place for before dinner drinks with comfortable and plentiful seating. Jerry Blaine, the Martinis Bar pianist, also plays before dinner; they solved any copnflictr by staggering their times. Big improvement and I hope is now standard.

Yes to the string quartet; one of the best I have heard aboard Oceania. They play occasionally in the GDR for such things as a special brunch, and initially played every evening in the atrium on Deck 5. However, last night they moved to the Grand Bar sitting area on Deck 6 before dinner. This made enormous good sense, as there is no obvious place to sit on deck 5 in the desk areas, the GDR is on Deck 6, and the Grand Bar area is a popular gathering place for before dinner drinks with comfortable and plentiful seating. Jerry Blaine, the Martinis Bar pianist, also plays before dinner; they solved any copnflictr by staggering their times. Big improvement and I hope is now standard.

Thanks Don

I hope they are staying on for the next cruise :D

Will look for them in the GDR bar instead of the Atrium.

Lyn

Yes, it's true, the bar was set up beautifully when we got into the room.We were having about 20 Cruise Critics up for a sail away party that afternoon, so it was a great relief.

Happily, Oceania has also started stocking the OVO suites with glassware enough for a small party, so our butler only had to deal with canapes and mixers.

Tonight, we're booked into La Reserve, and we've heard such glowing reports that it feels like a real occasion. It looks so beautiful as we pass it from the outside,and because it has proved so popular, they keep adding extra nights of availability.

We have a cunning plan. We're going to "fish" amongst our fellow diners at La Reserve for a chance to see a deck 12 Oceania Suite.Wish us luck. We'll let you know-J&S

Looking forward to seeing your post about La Reserve as we have booked it for our June sailing on the Marina! :D

Where arre Jim & Stan? How did you like La Reserve?

We had a slight misunderstanding about our night in La Reserve.

They are holding the Suite Passenger "Patio Dinner" in La Reserve, so although we had dinner in the room (and it was fabulous) we have not yet experienced the wine pairing dinner.

As Hondorner has mentioned in another thread, Stan has Privee booked for tonight (some old friend of his turns 50), and we are off (as soon as I close this) to meet the cellar master. We're going to to try our own hands at wine pairing.

FYI there has been a buzz in the Martini bar that Specialty Restaurant Reservations are much easier to obtain for ALL kinds of passengers, than was the case on the R ships. IMHO, this might be partly the result of the TREMENDOUS increase in quality and service in the GDR.

Red Ginger has become a huge passenger favorite, and Polo is now ridiculously good.

Oh my, I've gotten lost in all my good food memories, and forgotten our appointment!

More later~

As Hondorner has mentioned in another thread, Stan has Privee booked for tonight (some old friend of his turns 50), and we are off (as soon as I close this) to meet the cellar master. We're going to to try our own hands at wine pairing.

enjoy the dinner

Happy Birthday JIM :D:D

Glad to hear about the specialty reservations

I suspected Oceania was testing the waters with the limited reservations

Lyn

FYI there has been a buzz in the Martini bar that Specialty Restaurant Reservations are much easier to obtain for ALL kinds of passengers, than was the case on the R ships. IMHO, this might be partly the result of the TREMENDOUS increase in quality and service in the GDR.

Red Ginger has become a huge passenger favorite, and Polo is now ridiculously good.

All of the above is good and welcome news - thanks!

Happy Birthday Jim!

Happy Birthday, Jim!

Have you discovered if there are any differences between the Deck 11 and Deck 12 Oceania suites?

A maiden voyage passenger reported that noise from the scraping of chairs at Waves could be heard in Deck 11 PH's. Do you hear noise from the Terrace Cafe' veranda in your Oceania suite?

Thank you.

Jerry Blaine, the Martinis Bar pianist, also plays before dinner...

Wow, Don, wonderful news. Leslie Jon and Jerry Blaine both on Marina now; sure hope they stay onboard at least through June!:D

BTW, this will be our fourth Oceania cruise and Leslie has been the CD for all of them!

Wow, Don, wonderful news. Leslie Jon and Jerry Blaine both on Marina now; sure hope they stay onboard at least through June!:D

I think they go for 6-8 weeks then get a break

They may then go to another ship as other CD's take their break

Lyn

Hi, Please take a minute and rate your cabin. I keep hearing the shower head is quite low? Thanks and we look forward to your impressions.

The aft Oceania Suites (we are in 11083) are just about the same size as an owners suite on the R ships. I say "about" because the verandah although huge, is not as deep as in an R ship Owners, and the closet is set up as a true walk in, without the dressing area.

The living and dining rooms are spectacular. They share an enourmous glass wall with a breathtaking view of the wake.

We find the room to be exceptionally quiet. The Verandah, in particular has a very secluded atmosphere, because of its huge length.

The Bathroom is amazing, and has a huge oversized porthole window over the tub. Therre is more storage than any couple could ever use. The towels are huge, plush and thirsty. Everyone is raving asbout how good they are.

There is also an illuminated magnifying mirror (concierge rooms have this too, I don' t know if the others do).

The shower is a more capacious version of the ones that are in the standard cabins. I'm 6'3 and the shower head is fine for me. The water pressure is superb.

Right now, there is not a soapdish in our shower, so I'm reduced to balancing the soap on the plumbing handles, and leaving the shampoo on a handy counter near the sink, but I have been assured that shelves for those showers are on the ship, and will be installed as soon as is practical.

There are several Oceania corporate types onboard, who probably envisioned this trip as something of a vacation. In fact, they are working 20 hour days sorting out the details of introducing a ground breaking class of ship.

Although some guests are already pining for R ship intimacy, the consensus is that the Marina is a masterpiece.......and she really is.

Archived