Buffet of Room Service for Dinner on Golden Princess

apollobeach

The Room Service menu is very limited. If you see something you like there, the food is good. I would probably do the Horizon Court myself. Lots of choices, and almost always something that catches my fancy. I'm sure you will be able to find something. No one ever goes hungry on a cruise ship.

We will be traveling on the Golden Princess to Hawaii. If we decide to not eat in the Main Dining Room should we chance the buffet for dinner or simply order Room Service?:)

Not sure what you mean by "chance the buffet" :confused: Anyway at dinner the buffet serves some of the same items as the main dining rooms. Room service menus, except in full suites, are very limited to items like sandwiches, salads and pizza.

My wife and I were on the Golden last month. We had dinner in the Horizon Court buffet about 5 times during the cruise. We thought it was a nice break from the main dining room. It's a lot less hectic than breakfast and lunch. There was always a nice selection of food items, including a few that were on the MDR menu for that night.

Other choices for a lighter dinner would be Prego Pizzeria and Trident Grill. Both are up on Deck 14 by the pool, and are open until 11pm. The International Cafe, on Deck 5 in the Piazza, is also open til 11pm. It has salads, soup, panini sandwiches, and wonderful desserts.

Room Service has a limited selection, mostly salads and sandwiches. There are a few new hot items. The Chili with Chips was quite good. But I didn't like the Lasagna at all. It was runny, and served in a soup bowl. Weird.

We will be traveling on the Golden Princess to Hawaii. If we decide to not eat in the Main Dining Room should we chance the buffet for dinner or simply order Room Service?:)
On longer cruises, I've done both. I'm perfectly happy with soup and a chef's salad from the room service menu; the salad is excellent. We've also ordered lighter entrees the night before in the dining room and had them the next night as an alternative or change.

FYI, they are adding more hot items to the room service menu. I forget what they're adding but they sounded good. Not sure when they'll be available.

I was actually quite surprised at how good the dinner buffet was. We had a late spa treatment one night and missed dinner so decided to try the buffet. So many wonderful choices and everything we selected was great. It was around 9PM or so and seating was readily available. :p

The Room Service menu is very limited. If you see something you like there, the food is good. I would probably do the Horizon Court myself. Lots of choices, and almost always something that catches my fancy. I'm sure you will be able to find something. No one ever goes hungry on a cruise ship.

And besides, there's the fellowship of other cruisers in the Horizon Court.

My problem with ordering room service is that if you’re not staying in at least a Caribe deck balcony or a mini suite the room is not comfortable for eating a large meal. It's fine for coffee and a danish in the morning or for cocktails and finger food before dinner but for any other meal I would eat at the buffet if I didn't want to go to the MDR. The above post was my first look at the room service menu. It does look good for lunch.

Eating at the buffet isn't really chancing it. There are some of us who eat there more often than any of the dining rooms on board. :D

Nice variety of meals and good food turnover, items are not always piping hot, but generally well prepared and often the same selections as the dining room. We like to eat at the buffet, the IC, the grille and the pizza regularly and enjoy the dining room on certain occasions as well. We'll also order room service if we truly want to relax (and having a mini suite makes this extra easy with more space). It always amazes me when cruisers are unaware that these other options exist, and don't take advantage of the variety of choices.

We were on the Golden in December and probably ate dinner in the Horizon about half of the time. This was our first experience with Anytime, and didn't really care for it. Most of the time we checked out the dinner menu for the dining rooms and made our decision based on whether there was any must-eats. We did make it to the dining rooms on all three formal nights.

The buffet is a pretty good alternative to the MDR. I find that on very port intensive cruises that more often than not we are eating in Horizon Court. There is usually something for everyone. On our last cruise we decided to skip formal night and headed to the buffet about 8pm. There they were.......lobsters - Word must have spread quickly because within 15 minutes of the first lobster being brought out a huge line formed. It was like Christmas Eve at Walmart. Not sure how often that happens but it was the best meal we ever had at Horizon Court.

Archived