Skywalkers .. What Went Wrong

dfields1814

I am very disappointed that Princess is removing Skywalkers. It is one my favorite places to read during the day. They say it is to increase the fuel efficiency. That may be the case. But I think more of a major factor in this decision is that they have all this space not generating enough income. I have been up there after 11:00 PM on numerous occasions on various cruises and it is dead up there. Sometimes we are the only ones there.

So that begs the question: Why doesn't such a nice place generate more people and income? IMHO opinion the blame rests with the DJ or whoever programs the DJ's musical choices. All the DJ had to do is check out the demographics of the cruise. If 80% of the passengers are retirees and most of those people are in their 70's and 80's and you play rap and hip hop, quess what is going to happen! I am sure there are a few in that age group that like rap/hip hop. But I would be willing to bet there are a whole lot more that do not. On the other hand if the cruise has a number of younger passengers then by all means play that music if it will bring in people to Skywalkers.

I was on a cruise that had a salsa theme in Skuwalkers from 10:00 to 11:00. Skywalkers was packed. You could hardly find a seat. Then at 11:00 the DJ started playing rap and hip hop. Within 15 minutes I would say 80% of the people had left and with them left potential income. To me you don't have to be a Phi Beta Kappa to figure that out.

So I hope this new Five One club they are making doesn't have this problem. IMHO if they persist in doing this they will have the same problem Skywalker's has... no people and no income

Honestly? If the main attraction for an entertainment venue during the day is it being a nice place to read? It's probably underutilized...

I am very disappointed that Princess is removing Skywalkers. It is one my favorite places to read during the day. They say it is to increase the fuel efficiency. That may be the case. But I think more of a major factor in this decision is that they have all this space not generating enough income. I have been up there after 11:00 PM on numerous occasions on various cruises and it is dead up there. Sometimes we are the only ones there.

So that begs the question: Why doesn't such a nice place generate more people and income? IMHO opinion the blame rests with the DJ or whoever programs the DJ's musical choices. All the DJ had to do is check out the demographics of the cruise. If 80% of the passengers are retirees and most of those people are in their 70's and 80's and you play rap and hip hop, quess what is going to happen! I am sure there are a few in that age group that like rap/hip hop. But I would be willing to bet there are a whole lot more that do not. On the other hand if the cruise has a number of younger passengers then by all means play that music if it will bring in people to Skywalkers.

I was on a cruise that had a salsa theme in Skuwalkers from 10:00 to 11:00. Skywalkers was packed. You could hardly find a seat. Then at 11:00 the DJ started playing rap and hip hop. Within 15 minutes I would say 80% of the people had left and with them left potential income. To me you don't have to be a Phi Beta Kappa to figure that out.

So I hope this new Five One club they are making doesn't have this problem. IMHO if they persist in doing this they will have the same problem Skywalker's has... no people and no income

I'm disappointed also, as it's one of my favorite places day or night. Although usually we don't find it crowded (and the dj has always taken requests when it's not crowded--probably why we like it so much), on our last cruise it was packed the few times we went up there (it was a port intensive cruise so we weren't up there as often as usual).

I'll miss it!

I heard that it was structural damage that caused the decision but I can fully agree that the type of music will determine if the place will be underutilized in the evenings. The same thing hold true for MUTS. The types of concerts and movies played during the day surely aren't aimed towards the audience I see at the pool when we cruise.

Hi All

Another vote for Skywalkers, will be missed,

however I think it was just to remote from where the main passenger flows were, as such a lot of cost for no benifit, so it had to go.

At the end of the day Princess needs to make money, and we want the lowest fares possible.

yours Shogun

IMHO this would have been a great place for a coffee bar for all of us who enjoyed sitting, reading and watching the scenery. I will be the revenue would have been worthwhile.

Very good idea, it could be a quiet sanctuary for people that want to relax, read, have a beverage and look out at the views. They could make it an unpaid adult area and during the quiet time hours have no music and if anyone is getting noisey ask them to leave. Since the libraries are getting so small this might be a very good idea. They could even set aside one half during the day for reading/silent area and the other half for quiet conversation. They could also maybe have a snack delivery menu during this time. Of course when they are in port or doing scenic cruising it would have to be an open venue for all, since this area can get quite crowded at that time.

I really love the Skywalkers cocktail party in the evenings for the plat./elite/suites such a nice quiet area to mingle with other passengers. Even when it is crowded it is not loud and you can have conversations without yelling.

Maybe the design on the Grand wasn't going to be easily remedied without a complete removal and then it would have been rebuilt and taken too much time. I also noticed it looks like it will be sailing out of southampton if I understand correctly and that's probably why the have the "Leaves" tea area.

If it is going to be in that area maybe they didn't want that back pool covered so it would get more natural heat from the sun?

It is not being removed just for fuel economy, the 5% saved will take a long time to get back compared to the cost of removing the structure. The main reason it is being removed is because of stresses being put on the superstructure. Grand was the first to have Skywalkers fitted, subsequent ships in the same class also have it but the design is slightly different with lighter materials.

The One5 club is a new design of club for Princess. If the new design (I mean decor etc) works then I am sure other ships will get it as well.

Skywalkers (and all nightclubs on cruise ships) are always very underutilised during the day. Hopefully with the new one being easier to get and with a greater passenger flow through the nearby area that may change with more events planned during the day.

Will I miss it? Yes. But it certainly wont be any sort of deak breaker if I was comparing cruises on other Princess ships in the UK.

It is not being removed just for fuel economy, the 5% saved will take a long time to get back compared to the cost of removing the structure. The main reason it is being removed is because of stresses being put on the superstructure. Grand was the first to have Skywalkers fitted, subsequent ships in the same class also have it but the design is slightly different with lighter materials.

The One5 club is a new design of club for Princess. If the new design (I mean decor etc) works then I am sure other ships will get it as well.

Skywalkers (and all nightclubs on cruise ships) are always very underutilised during the day. Hopefully with the new one being easier to get and with a greater passenger flow through the nearby area that may change with more events planned during the day.

Will I miss it? Yes. But it certainly wont be any sort of deak breaker if I was comparing cruises on other Princess ships in the UK.

Most of the nightclubs are on the dark side and people want to have light during the day. Skywalkers didn't have bar or beverage service during the day unless there is a special function. When they have an area with floor to ceiling windows they need to promote it and try having more services available and it may be utilized.

I suspect that those people in their 70's and 80's are in bed after the show. Not all, but a good portion of them are not going to feel like going dancing at 11:00 at night - no matter what music is being played.:)

Pardon if I missed the comment. Does this apply to all ships with Skywalkers? Reason I ask is the Caribbean Princess and Crown Princess have different placement, and I would definitely understand the Caribbean Princess having it removed, but the Crown does not have it hanging over the edge, more toward the center of the ship. Just curious. :p

As far as is known right now, the removal of Skywalkers is happening only on the Grand Princess, and there are no plans to remove it from any others.

As of right now it's only the Grand that is having Skywalkers removed.

I like skywalkers but for a lot of people the biggest problem with it was the shadows it created over the aft pool all day. Didn't bother me as I like the main pool. But that was always the biggest thing I've heard

You are right about skywalkers. We have been there on several occasions to find it empty and the DJ playing music he likes (young), but not what the guests like to dance to so everyone leaves. They usually cant go wrong with 60,70 & 80's music.

You are right about skywalkers. We have been there on several occasions to find it empty and the DJ playing music he likes (young), but not what the guests like to dance to so everyone leaves. They usually cant go wrong with 60,70 & 80's music.

Are we the only people who ever ask for specific songs or genres? We've never found the DJ to turn us down (of course, we don't ask if the place is full--oh, wait, yes we do make a request or two if we're in the mood for a particular song). In fact, usually when they look at our age (now this is when there is just a few of us in there) they automatically put on music we enjoy.

As far as is known right now, the removal of Skywalkers is happening only on the Grand Princess, and there are no plans to remove it from any others.

This is my understanding as well... The position of Skywalkers on the newer ships (beginning with Diamond/Sapphire Princess) was much more structurally friendly and opened up the aft pool deck.

Thanks. Go bears Beat WSU!

In answer to your question... only the Grand-class vessels have a Skywalkers nightclub.

Princess claims they are removing Skywalkers from the Grand because it weighs too much and they can save a lot of fuel (and money) by removing the weight from the ship.

You claim that they are removing Skywalkers from the Grand because it's not very busy and doesn't make much revenue.

I can truly understand spending millions to remove the space in order to save additional millions (eventually) on fuel.

Buy how can you justify your theory of spending millions to remove a space that generates little revenue and replace it by an empty space that generates no revenue at all?

Princess claims they are removing Skywalkers from the Grand because it weighs too much and they can save a lot of fuel (and money) by removing the weight from the ship.

You claim that they are removing Skywalkers from the Grand because it's not very busy and doesn't make much revenue.

I can truly understand spending millions to remove the space in order to save additional millions (eventually) on fuel.

Buy how can you justify your theory of spending millions to remove a space that generates little revenue and replace it by an empty space that generates no revenue at all?

oooo... logic! :p

It's my understanding that the Grand was the first ship with a Skywalkers and they used fairly heavy materials to build it. With the Golden and later ships, they used lighter materials and then changed the design. According to a report I read, removing Skywalkers will remove 211 tons of weight; the less weight, the better fuel economy.

I think we should reserve judgment until we see what the new lounge is like. It could be better than Skywalkers. Anyone know? If Princess makes this change and it helps keep my fare down, I'm all for it. If Skywalkers is that important to you, there are all the other Grand-class ships to choose from.

I think we should reserve judgment until we see what the new lounge is like. It could be better than Skywalkers. Anyone know? If Princess makes this change and it helps keep my fare down, I'm all for it. If Skywalkers is that important to you, there are all the other Grand-class ships to choose from.

My only hope is that it doesn't look like Club Fusion. I absolutely hate the layout of that lounge.

I always thought the space was not promoted properly. We also thought that it would be an excellent place for cards or reading during the day. We have often thought it would be a more comfortable place for card players, rather then using a table in the buffet all day. It can be frustrating trying to find a place to seat for lunch and having the tables occupied by card or game players.

Archived