Pot smell in hallway one night

oratheeexplorer

I probably wjould have gotten down on hands & knees with my nose pressed to the timy gap between the door & deck & breathed in real hard - trying to get any second-hand smoke;).

Of course at my age, while I wouldn't have any problem getting down to there, I'd have a real problem getting back up:D.

You might have a problem getting back up, but you probably wouldn't care!!:)

That was my next question.... been there, done that??? :confused:

Pot was very common in high school and college where I live....if you would go to a party, it was there. Even if one didn't smoke it, the fumes were inhaled by all.

How do you know what pot smells like ?:p

How does anyone NOT know what pot smells like??;)

I would never smoke or take it on a ship, but there are Caribbean islands (not all of them, but St. Vincent comes to mind) where it is legal, and, frankly, it is openly smoked on all of them. It was being smoked by the locals on at least 3 islands this winter, openly and right next to us on beaches, and we were offered it twice.

All it takes is an officer walking by to get caught, so it wouldn't be the smartest move to do drugs on a cruise ship. I've seen people disembarked in handcuffs and turned over to the FBI in a foreign port. There have been several cases recently on RCCL ships where passengers or crew were caught. It's not unusual these days for a random inspection to be done with a drug-sniffing dog. You're not in the US, and some countries are pretty darned strict.

Thank you Pam for your reply.......you always have so much information to share......obviously some of the others who have replied are a little defensive to the subject.......as I do believe "to each his own", I do not appreciate their stupid comments......again, thanks for always being so informative!

When we left Jamaica two years ago, there was a dog right there as we got on, and then the dog came on and they went up and down hallways. We assumed it was because we were all offered pot, everywhere we went.

All it takes is an officer walking by to get caught, so it wouldn't be the smartest move to do drugs on a cruise ship. I've seen people disembarked in handcuffs and turned over to the FBI in a foreign port. There have been several cases recently on RCCL ships where passengers or crew were caught. It's not unusual these days for a random inspection to be done with a drug-sniffing dog. You're not in the US, and some countries are pretty darned strict.

Apparently some lines may be more tolerant than others. We were on a cruise a few years ago where the CD announced on the final night at sea that if you picked up any Cuban cigars or anything else on the islands you'd better go to the top deck and consume it before we get to port in the morning because there would be dogs sniffing your bags. Also, I have a friend who was on one of the music theme cruises, he said it was openly smoked at an aft location on one of the upper decks and those gathering there referred to the activity as a "safety drill".

For those who say it does not hurt but only the user. Image walking by those rooms or sitting on your balcony and inhaling those fumes. You then go back to work and they do a drug test on you. You fail and try to say it was in the next room on my cruise to the Carribean. You know the one that stopped in jamacia. Yea right and they will believe your story why? Has it happened? I don ot know. could it happen? Would you bet your job on it not?

For those who say it does not hurt but only the user. Image walking by those rooms or sitting on your balcony and inhaling those fumes. You then go back to work and they do a drug test on you. You fail and try to say it was in the next room on my cruise to the Carribean. You know the one that stopped in jamacia. Yea right and they will believe your story why? Has it happened? I don ot know. could it happen? Would you bet your job on it not?

Wow... this is a reach. I have been in business for a while now and from time to time had to deal with drug testing employees. You will not test positive on a drug screening for having inhaled the fumes from walking down the hallway or sitting on the balcony next door, it's impossible.

And YES, I would bet my job on it.

Geez folks... let's light(en) up here. :) The OP asked an innocent question about whether pot smokers could be evicted. The short answer is "yes". No need to get all bunched up about the subject. We've only smelled pot on one cruise, and surprisingly it was on Celebrity, which does NOT allow smoking in the cabins or balconies period. These folks toked on their balcony occasionally, and we were initially shocked (but not bothered). Not sure if they were caught, nor did I care.

We were on the Crown Feb. 5 through the 12th.......one night coming back to our room between 10:30 and 11:00 pm, we walked through 2 spots in our hallway that smelled real strong like pot..........so if these people get caught, do they kick them off the ship? That's what I heard they would do......
:) we were on a princess cruise and while getting off the ship customs had a young man in handcuffs for having drugs of some type that were found in his cabin.He was shaking and crying... we suppose someone turned him in....better off getting caught in the USA then in another country...just wondering:rolleyes: how many crew members are selling or taking drugs...:confused:

Regardless of your opinions about the use of drugs, all cruise lines have zero tolerance towards their use or possession aboard any ship in order to stay in business and adhere to the law.

The cruise lines have billions of dollars invested and must comply with the laws of all countries where they sail.

even though it is legal in many states for medicinal use the transport of any drug is illegal..we have friends who are going on a trip to Alaska with us. he has been diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor and smokes pot for pain control..it is illegal for him to transport drug from CA to Alaska.

If medicinal marijuana is legal in both Alaska and Canada why would it be a problem on a cruise that hits only those two countries? Assuming your friend has a legal medical prescription.

If he has a prescription to take other controlled substances like a pain med, will the cruise line take the medicine away from him? If not, why would that take the prescribed Marijuana?

Hi All

seems that many here take the view if its not hurting me not my business,

all I am going to say not I view I agree with,

"All that is needed for the forces of evil to succeed is for enough good men to remain silent"

yours Shogun

Hi All

Have seen sniffer dogs at work on three cruises, once I think it was St Thomas all the passengers coming of a windstar ship got the once over from a dog.

Another all the bags getting loaded were getting sniffed.

Then there was a dog onboard one day while in port but it was only a training excerise.

yours Shogun

my job is the testing of drugs and there are low thresholds that cover second hand smoke.

but on a ship and then a few days later will show negative, no way will you be positive by walking by a room unless you are the one with a straw in the door all day and night

If medicinal marijuana is legal in both Alaska and Canada why would it be a problem on a cruise that hits only those two countries? Assuming your friend has a legal medical prescription.

If he has a prescription to take other controlled substances like a pain med, will the cruise line take the medicine away from him? If not, why would that take the prescribed Marijuana?

Well, after reading Michael Kays' post, I looked it up. A search will show you that indeed, transporting across state lines is illegal. I found the answer on several sites...here's one: http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/legal-advice/transporting-medical-marijuana-legality

Archived