Sydney Opera House from Diamond Princess

RickEk

Cruising by the Sydney Opera House is a great sight especially when combined with the bridge. The Diamond sails past these landmarks at night which makes it extra special. It is my favorite sailaway
I was thinking the same thing, that with the Opera House on one side and the bridge on the other, is spectacular. I loved looking at the bridge and see the little groups of "ants" walking up and over it. Whoever they are, they're much braver than me.

I'd add Istanbul as you sail past the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sofia; Gibraltar as you sail around it and through the Pillars of Hercules; and St. John's, Newfoundland. Cruising in Antarctica is amazing and it's a shame most cruise ships will no longer be able to sail there although I understand the reasons why. Cruising into the polar ice pack in the Arctic is also an amazing experience.

I was thinking the same thing, that with the Opera House on one side and the bridge on the other, is spectacular. I loved looking at the bridge and see the little groups of "ants" walking up and over it. Whoever they are, they're much braver than me.

Mrs Hansi and I have done the bridge walk and it's spectacular! and I don't like heights!!

Hi Hansi and Bill.

Bridge walk prices vary depending on day and time.

Mon-Frid daytime.. $198.00 adult $138 child.

Sat-Sun.. $208.00 adult $138 child.

Mon-Sun night.. $188 adult.. $128 child.

Twilight Mon-Sun.. $268.00 adult. $188 child.

Exclusive Dawn 1st Saturday of each month..$298 Adult...$198 child

My favourite sailaways are Sydney and Auckland.

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

We love a good sailaway and this post got me thinking--which ports are the best? Venice is the one dramatic, breathtaking sailaway we've done but I think I'd like to add Sydney, S.F. and NYC to our list. Does anyone have other favorites?

Sydney, San Fran, N.Y.,Dubrovnik & Vience are my favorites :)

We love a good sailaway and this post got me thinking--which ports are the best? Venice is the one dramatic, breathtaking sailaway we've done but I think I'd like to add Sydney, S.F. and NYC to our list. Does anyone have other favorites?

Sydney, San Fran, N.Y.,Dubrovnik & Vience are my favorites :)

I haven't been to as many spectacular places as y'all, but I would agree that San Francisco and New York are among the best sailaway ports in the United States. I also liked San Diego...

Hi Hansi and Bill.

Bridge walk prices vary depending on day and time.

Mon-Frid daytime.. $198.00 adult $138 child.

Sat-Sun.. $208.00 adult $138 child.

Mon-Sun night.. $188 adult.. $128 child.

Twilight Mon-Sun.. $268.00 adult. $188 child.

Exclusive Dawn 1st Saturday of each month..$298 Adult...$198 child

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

I am happy just watching these climbers, for free, from outside the Opera House.

Just wondering what the issue is with cruising to Antarctica? Love reading your posts. Your knowledge is impressive and so helpful.
There is the Antarctica Agreement, which is agreed to by all countries with an interest in Antarctica, that is in place to preserve to environment. It's a cooperative effort. Because of recent accidents with ships sinking or having accidents, it's been agreed to limit ships sailing in the area to certain fuel types. Even if they are not using heavy fuels but have them onboard, the danger to the environment is too great so they've been banned after this year. This affects just about all major cruiselines so the only ones who will sail there in the future will be the small expedition ships.

When we were cruising Antarctica, they couldn't even wash windows for fear of something getting into the water. The ship's laundry was closed as well. Even unanticipated issues can have an effect on the environment. The ship I was on, the Amsterdam, experienced catabatic winds of well over 100mph that caused the ship to list about 10 degrees for a couple of hours until we could round Paulet Island and get out of the wind effect. Deck chairs and cushions went overboard. Not a good thing.

Archived