GTY's, when have you been getting assigned??

BluexMoon

When did you find out your room assignment?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. When did you find out your room assignment?

• 75 days or more before sailing
    • 60-74 days before sailing
    • 45-59 days before sailing
    • 30-45 days before sailing
    • 15-30 days before sailing
    • 1-15 days before sailing
    • At the pier

It's a little hard to do because each time there has been a different result.

Once, booked 3 months out, found out cabin at the pier

Second, booked 15 months out, found out cabin 1 week prior

Third, booked 3 months out and found out 1 month prior

I have found out at the pier on every cruise that I have booked as a quarantee except the one I am taking next week. (My PVP apparently assigned our cabins when we booked the first week in January.) On the other cruises our baggages tags were the gray TBA's and our documents showed either TBA or GTEE.

I leave in 2 weeks, but my docs say guarantee. However, I was able to find my cabin assignment via k-method several weeks ago on Carnival site. It is also on the back of my sign & sail page (encrypted in a code after the booking number) My PVP & Carnival still say I haven't "ooficially" been assigned a cabin.

only booked once as guaranteed (relatively new cruiser) and found out at the pier - upgraded from guar OV to cat 12 suite - nice thing to find out at pier! Booked for Miracle 5/22/05 w/ kids/spouses - 3 rooms Guar OV - don't know rooms yet but TA says that getting docs w/ TBA is a good sign of a good upgrade anytime. So I'm all for that again but don't know if our previous upgrade was partially due to our traveling alone on that cruise? Maybe better chances when not connected to other family parties? Can't wait regardless of room, though!:D

I have been watching gaurantees cabins since last August. This is when Carnival stated cabins will be set at 6-7 weeks. It depends on when a person books- seems if they booked after final payment they dont get a set cabin until on the pier. I also see that if its a holiday sailing not until you get to the pier. Average is 45 days.

There is a post here telling people how to check their room assignments using various methods-- i think there is 4 differnt ways.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=96045

If a person gets a cabin before final payment is due I would say the agent picked the cabin for them.

If you got documents there is only one place in all those pages that you will see a cabin number. Every page will have TBA or GTEE on it.

When you are assigned and when you know you are assigned are two different things. If you book a guarantee, Carnival usually won't tell you until you are at the pier. But there are methods to find out as most people here know. Both times I've had a GTY I've done the K method, both times it worked about 60 days out, and both times I was not informed by Carnival until I arrived at the pier.

Carnival changed its policy regarding assignment of guaranteed cabins last August. They now often (not always -- if a ship remains unsold, assignments occur later) make final assignments far in advance. We did NOT use any trickery or 'method' to find out our cabin 8-1/2 weeks in advance -- it was posted in our profile on Carnival's website. It was on our documents when we received them 5 weeks before sailing.

While I'd guess there are still occasionally passengers who don't learn assignments until arrival at the pier, I suspect many poll respondents who registered 'at the pier' were recalling experiences prior to last August's policy change. One way or the other, please tell.

What is the "k" method? I know the modify booking method, and the add services/gifts methods. Does the "k" method stand for one of them?

I believe it is where you key in random room numbers with your booking number. Very tedious. I may be wrong.

hmm, sounds like your agent assigned a cabin number- ws it upgraded compared to what you booked? I know Carnival did a 2 category upgrade so I wonder if this is what you got instead.

Booked a balcony guarantee for the March 12th Glory sailing. Read about the K method here last week (a week and 1/2 before sailing) and didn't have time to check it out. My cruise docs were at home so I couldn't look at them. So, I thought I'd call my PVP and see what he said about my room assignment. He said they hadn't assigned it yet and this was very good indication for me that I would get upgraded because there is probably some big group booking rooms and I had a good chance to get upgraded..yada, yada, yada. He told me I could call him the morning we leave and he could tell me my room number then. I don't really need to know then...I'll be getting on the boat by then. I went home, looked on back of S&S doc and there was a room number. I typed it in with my booking number using the gift method and it appears that is my room. No upgrade, and has been assigned since I got my docs.

Wonder why the PVP couldn't just tell me the number. It makes me think they are probably told to say all this because I'm sure some people throw fits when they don't get upgraded even though they booked guarantee. Doesn't matter to me...I got a room I would have actually booked and paid less money for it (since guarantee)....more money for the bar bill! :)

Actually- not a lot of agents know about the secret to looking at the back of the sign and sail page. We shouldnt know it either--if you got a fabulous cabin and were downgraded how pi$$ed would you be? very-- tahts why it isnt done. But its very rare that once a cabin is set in the documents does it ever change but it does happen.

Our one and only cruise experience to date (there will be more):

Paradise out of Long Beach, 4 day cruise.

Booked in March for a Sept cruise - booked a 4a Gty.

Rec'd doc's about 6 weeks out, perhaps a little less.

Rooms was on the docs, an upgrade to the top deck but still inside.

Had a great time.

Does booking through Carnival PVP or local TA make any difference? We used a local TA, and at one point after the cruise we were discussing what we liked and didn't like about the trip (There was a problem with one of the hotels). I commented on the upgrade, and said something to the effect of "Thank you if you had anything to do with it". She just smiled and nodded.

I'll do the Gty again next cruise (sometime in 2006) - like someone else said it's more money for the bar bill.

Archived