Booking shore excursions pre-cruise vs. onboard to use SBC?

sable1

Hi Everyone,

I seem to recall one very helpful post sometime last year which I have tried to find again, without any success.

We have some SBC we would like to use for a shore excursion. I understand our credit card will be charged if we pre-book before the cruise. I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience in booking then re-booking once on board to use the SBC?

I did contact O and they said we may lose the tour if there are others on a waitlist.

Whenever we have sailed on O before, there have been lists delivered to the cabin listing tours that are still available. Just wondering what other's experience has been.

The tour is for Zip lining and don't know if this is one that would be a sellout.

Thanks for your feedback.

Joanne

We have only pre booked one tour & that was for Murmansk

Most of the Caribbean tours they still have space in our experience

A lot of people do private tours so I guess you could take a chance & book first day aboard to use your OBC

Sorry not much help

Lyn

For Alaska, everybody is getting a thousand dollar ship board credit per cabin, in addition to prepaid gratuities from travel agents, etc. As we are not drinkers or spa users, that leaves either the boutique or shore excursions. Princess lets you book the excursions online and you pay for them onboard, so you can use a shipboard credit for the excursions. Most other lines, including Oceania have you pay in advance when booking online, so the OBC would not be utilized. I sure wish they would change the policy, so there would not be a run on the excursion desk upon embarkation. I remember the lines for specialty dining reservations before they went to an online system and how much stress that took off of embarkation. Sure wish they would do the same thing and allow for prebooking of the excursions with payment from the OBC while onboard.

For Alaska, everybody is getting a thousand dollar ship board credit per cabin, in addition to prepaid gratuities from travel agents, etc. As we are not drinkers or spa users, that leaves either the boutique or shore excursions. Princess lets you book the excursions online and you pay for them onboard, so you can use a shipboard credit for the excursions. Most other lines, including Oceania have you pay in advance when booking online, so the OBC would not be utilized. I sure wish they would change the policy, so there would not be a run on the excursion desk upon embarkation. I remember the lines for specialty dining reservations before they went to an online system and how much stress that took off of embarkation. Sure wish they would do the same thing and allow for prebooking of the excursions with payment from the OBC while onboard.

I agree with you. We would like to use OBC to book excursions in advance, too.

Since we have booked a suite for Alaska, I am guessing we would be among those who could book shore excursions first, either online in advance or else because we will be boarding earlier. :) :D

Hi Everyone,

I seem to recall one very helpful post sometime last year which I have tried to find again, without any success.

We have some SBC we would like to use for a shore excursion. I understand our credit card will be charged if we pre-book before the cruise. I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience in booking then re-booking once on board to use the SBC?

I did contact O and they said we may lose the tour if there are others on a waitlist.

Whenever we have sailed on O before, there have been lists delivered to the cabin listing tours that are still available. Just wondering what other's experience has been.

The tour is for Zip lining and don't know if this is one that would be a sellout.

Thanks for your feedback.

Joanne

Sable1,

Which cruise are you on? My wife an I are going to do a private zipline tour in Puerta Vallarta. We are on the Marina, SF to Miami, 26 February, 2011.

Rick and Martha

I agree with you. We would like to use OBC to book excursions in advance, too.

Since we have booked a suite for Alaska, I am guessing we would be among those who could book shore excursions first, either online in advance or else because we will be boarding earlier. :) :D

If you book them online, you have to pay for them at the time, so the OBC won't apply. As far as boarding early, there are loads of people in suites and concierge class cabins, so that would be quite a line at the excursion desk, even without those who may board later.

I had a very large SBC on the T/A on Regatta in March '10 and waited until I boarded to book the one excursion I was interested in...but I went straight to the Shore Excursions desk to book it as soon as I boarded and had no problem in obtaining it...LuAnn

If you book them online, you have to pay for them at the time, so the OBC won't apply. As far as boarding early, there are loads of people in suites and concierge class cabins, so that would be quite a line at the excursion desk, even without those who may board later.

Right about using the OBC for online booking. I was just expressing my wishes, with hopes that the policy will change so we can use the OBC for that.

Since the Regatta is so small, I would hope that the lines would not be all that long at the excursion desk. Maybe some people will be diverted to other lines such as to make spa appointments? :D

This would be a good policy to change. Mr. FDR does read these boards and sometimes responds to good suggestions, so maybe we will hear from him. I don't want to appear ungrateful, as the SBC is a wonderful gift (I booked the cruise before this was even given), but it would be nice to go straight to lunch upon embarkation and explore the ship and not have to go straight to the excursion desk. ( I do have to admit that if this is the biggest problem of the cruise, I will be very happy - sometime, even I have to laugh at myself).

They usually have tour registrations forms on the desk or in your cabin

I do not think I have seen a line up first day on the small ships but it may be different with the Alaska tours

You can always ask to be put on the cancellation list ...people sometimes change their minds once they get on the cruise

Wish we got a large OBC to worry about ;)

Enjoy

Lyn

Thanks for replies. Will just book on board. Unfortunately, we are in "steerage" and won't be able to board early. But last year when we had the very large SBC, we were able to book al the tours we desired after boarding. Keeping fingers crossed this time.

LuAnn, we were on Regatta last year with you which is where we did our first zip line and loved it. Aren't you the one whose bags were stolen?

Rick, we are on Regatta April Trans Canal. Enjoy the Marina.

Mr. Del Rio, why don't you change the policy to allow SBC to be used for pre-booking shipboard tours as suggested here and other cruise lines do. Last year on Regent Navigator to Alaska, were able to pre-book the included tours and it was wonderful. How about it?

Happy cruising everyone. Are we getting together after sailing?

Joanne, the chocoholic

Thanks for replies. Will just book on board. Unfortunately, we are in "steerage" and won't be able to board early. But last year when we had the very large SBC, we were able to book al the tours we desired after boarding. Keeping fingers crossed this time.

LuAnn, we were on Regatta last year with you which is where we did our first zip line and loved it. Aren't you the one whose bags were stolen?

Mr. Del Rio, why don't you change the policy to allow SBC to be used for pre-booking shipboard tours as suggested here and other cruise lines do. Last year on Regent Navigator to Alaska, were able to pre-book the included tours and it was wonderful. How about it?

Joanne, the chocoholic

Perhaps there is a bottom line reason for the way they do it. One thing about Regent since the excursions are included it doesn't matter when you book as far as payment goes.

I am sure there is a bottom line to having people pay in advance - use of the money immediately. Also, many will still book excursions in advance so the credit may not be used or used to make purchases on the ship. It makes perfect business sense - I really can't blame Oceania for this, but it would be great if this policy was changed.

Perhaps there is a bottom line reason for the way they do it. One thing about Regent since the excursions are included it doesn't matter when you book as far as payment goes.

You also are paying for them whether you use them or not and for the liquor as well.: Not necessarily a positive!;)

Joanne, the chocoholic

Yup! I'm the one with all new clothes the entire cruise!! :o That was a great cruise wasn't it??? LuAnn

Archived