A Few Galveston Questions

daisy7113

The nearest airport is Houston Hobby, about 30 miles. Bush International is 70 miles form the island.

The cruise terminal is one block from downtown and the Historic Strand District.

For info on the island go to galveston.com

There is always lots to do on the island - we are getting ready for Mardi Gras now.

Texas is awesome! Well, I am partial! LOL There are some nice ocean front restaurants in Galveston. Moody Gardens is a really great place to visit. They have an amazing aquarium! There is also a water park called Schlitterbahn. It's indoors, so you can use it year round. Hope you enjoy your visit! :D

Am contemplating the Carnival Magic out of Galveston in November 2011. Which airport do you fly in to and how far is it from Galveston/cruise terminal? Have never been to Texas...is there a lot to do near the cruise terminal?

One word of caution - getting from either airport down to Galveston can be a hassle because vans like Super Shuttle don't make the trip. If you come in the day of the cruise, you can use the ship transport; otherwise you may need to rent a car or arrange for a taxi.

One word of caution - getting from either airport down to Galveston can be a hassle because vans like Super Shuttle don't make the trip. If you come in the day of the cruise, you can use the ship transport; otherwise you may need to rent a car or arrange for a taxi.

I believe the Super Shuttle is making the trip to Galveston. Go online at www.supershuttle.com and you can enter an address in Galveston and it gives you a quote. There are several people on the boards here that are making reservations through Super Shuttle andt he prices have been very reasonable. I just checked online and you can get a Super Shuttle van for $100 from the airport to the cruise terminal.

I believe the Super Shuttle is making the trip to Galveston. Go online at www.supershuttle.com and you can enter an address in Galveston and it gives you a quote. There are several people on the boards here that are making reservations through Super Shuttle andt he prices have been very reasonable. I just checked online and you can get a Super Shuttle van for $100 from the airport to the cruise terminal.

$100 per person? I think people are used to SAS shuttle say from FTL to the port of Miami for $15 per person, and it too is about 30 miles.

We are used to cruising from Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral and finding transportation from airport to hotel or port hasn't been that difficult. But, are you saying that TX doesn't have independent shuttles or services that take you to and from? We are not ones for renting a car so we do rely on the services...but don't want to pay an arm and a leg either. What to do?

With a couple of days only

There is plenty to do in Galveston/Kemah/Nasa area

Special events just about every weekend in Galveston in fall:

Dickens on Strand (1st weekend in Dec)

Lone Star Biker Rally (early weekend in fall)

Art Walk

Loft Tour

Oktoberfest

Greek Festival

Food Fests

Artists Festival

Wild Game BBQ Cook-off

Running and Triathlon Events (many)

Two Convention Centers

Others (see galveston.com for your dates)

and less than half an hour away:

nasa space center

kemah board walk

galveston proper:

1894 grand opera house (a must see tour)

www.thegrand.com

live music and theater events first class broad way etc.

ghost tours

old town galveston - on strand and post office streets

(lots of shops, bars, ice cream parlors, old army surplus store, fine restaurants)

winerys

many live theater venues music, ballet, broadway

museums

antiques and art Galleries

horse drawn carriage rides

fishing fishing fishing (piers, charters, and beach)

galveston historical foundation properties

victorian homes

moody gardens – a special family place - (lots and lots to do)

with Imax Theater, aquarium, rain forest, lots of traveling special events, music concerts, etc.

schlitterbahn water park

airplane museum (a treasure)

restored tall ship schooner Elisa (wonderful)

1900 storm and pirate jean laffite documentary films at port

walks and shelling on the beach

shopping

bars and live music

dolphin watch and port tour

turtle rescue farm behind San Luis Resort

tour pf carved damaged trees from IKE storm

kite flying on beach

free ferry ride

maritime museum

sea wolf park – wwII submarine and destroyer

many historical and Victorian homes

bishops palace (wonderful)

moody mansion (wonderful)

ashton villa (wonderful)

oil drilling rig museum

large souvenir shop over gulf water

duck tour (amphibious boat)

see galveston.com/ interact and discover / cams (for profit)

see galvestonhistory.org (nonprofit)

seee moodygardens.com (nonprofit)

see thegrand.com (non profit)

You need to decide if you want to stay on

1. Gulf of Mexico Beach Area (many hotels)

2. Historic Old Town Strand – Terminal Port Area (Tremont and Harbor House)

3. Bayside Area (2) Moody Gardens Hotels

Tremont and Harbor House are 2-3 blocks to terminal.

Everything is close though!

All hotel/motels are just two or so miles from terminal anyway.

To get bearings of island

Look at FREE internet map

See Galveston.com

Interact and Discover

Maps:

Galveston (B&W)

Galveston (Color Hi-Resolution)

Click on

We live in Galveston!

Feel free to ask more questions!

We are used to cruising from Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral and finding transportation from airport to hotel or port hasn't been that difficult. But, are you saying that TX doesn't have independent shuttles or services that take you to and from? We are not ones for renting a car so we do rely on the services...but don't want to pay an arm and a leg either. What to do?

Orlando to Port Canaveral is about same as Houston Hobby to Galveston

See Jet Blue and Southwest and yes there are shuttles

• 3 weeks later...

The Super Shuttle is running from Hobby to Galveston. I just made reserv. for 3/24th. The faire for a town car was $90.00 plus tip for two people. A van is $100.00 for up to 6 people I think. The Hotels shuttle service was $135.00 + tip for two people. The instructions say that someone will be in the baggage claim area with our name on a sign (:

$100 per person? I think people are used to SAS shuttle say from FTL to the port of Miami for $15 per person, and it too is about 30 miles.

It cost us $15 for a cab from the cruise port in Ft. Lauderdale to the airport, which is just a couple of miles! Anyway, the Super Shuttle is $100 per van, not p/p. You can check it out online at www.supershuttle.com.

We will be on Voyager April 10. We are staying near IAH. RCCL charges $47pp each way. How do we hook up with other people to share a van thru Super Shuttle? In other places they fill the van with individuals. Not so in Houston to Galveston?

Also, we can't find any rental cars for the return. We will be flying home the next day from IAH. So if we had a car we could do some sightseeing & also use the car for transfer. The only car agency I found was Enterprise & it said they are closed on weekends. No others drop off at the pier. Help??? It's much easier going to Pt Canaveral, Miami & Ft L. Even Tampa is easy. I'm from the west coast & even Los Angeles with a transfer is much easier.

We selected LaQuinta South near the airport with airport shuttle from 5am & the price was reasonable. All we need is clean & safe with somewhere to eat nearby. But I can't get any ratings on this hotel except from LaQuinta itself. Strange.

We will be on Voyager April 10. We are staying near IAH. RCCL charges $47pp each way. How do we hook up with other people to share a van thru Super Shuttle? In other places they fill the van with individuals. Not so in Houston to Galveston?

Also, we can't find any rental cars for the return. We will be flying home the next day from IAH. So if we had a car we could do some sightseeing & also use the car for transfer. The only car agency I found was Enterprise & it said they are closed on weekends. No others drop off at the pier. Help??? It's much easier going to Pt Canaveral, Miami & Ft L. Even Tampa is easy. I'm from the west coast & even Los Angeles with a transfer is much easier.

We selected LaQuinta South near the airport with airport shuttle from 5am & the price was reasonable. All we need is clean & safe with somewhere to eat nearby. But I can't get any ratings on this hotel except from LaQuinta itself. Strange.

Could you please give me the address of the LaQuinta where you're staying? I'm confused as you're calling it "South" and IAH is in the far north central part of the Houston area. Both IAH and HOU (Hobby, the airport that Southwest uses and is locared in the southeast area much closer to Galveston) are in not very good neighborhoods (understatement!), so you'll need to be aware of your surroundings.

Yes, Enterprise is the only car rental in Galveston since Ike and they are closed on Sunday.

Have you called the local Houston Super Shuttle to inquire if they are serving Galveston, etc.?

Could you please give me the address of the LaQuinta where you're staying? I'm confused as you're calling it "South" and IAH is in the far north central part of the Houston area. Both IAH and HOU (Hobby, the airport that Southwest uses and is locared in the southeast area much closer to Galveston) are in not very good neighborhoods (understatement!), so you'll need to be aware of your surroundings.

Yes, Enterprise is the only car rental in Galveston since Ike and they are closed on Sunday.

Have you called the local Houston Super Shuttle to inquire if they are serving Galveston, etc.?

The hotel is called LaQuinta South & it's located at 15510 JFK Blvd, Houston 77032. We chose it for price, an airport shuttle that starts at 5am (we are also staying over the night after the cruise because airfare was much cheaper the next day early), it has free wi-fi & breakfast. I know areas around ports & airports are usually a bit sketchy which is why I'm concerned. However, in looking for other hotels with shuttles we found a bunch on JFK Blvd. Clarion is at 15615 JFK, Comfort is 15555 JFK, Country Inn is 15558 JFK, Hampton is 15831, Sheraton North is 15700 & they all offer free shuttles to/from the airport. I just hope there is somewhere within a block to get food also.

I will call Super Shuttle & see if they can take us to the port for less than $46pp as RCCL charges. Usually anything is less than cruise line bus transfers.

The hotel is called LaQuinta South & it's located at 15510 JFK Blvd, Houston 77032. We chose it for price, an airport shuttle that starts at 5am (we are also staying over the night after the cruise because airfare was much cheaper the next day early), it has free wi-fi & breakfast. I know areas around ports & airports are usually a bit sketchy which is why I'm concerned. However, in looking for other hotels with shuttles we found a bunch on JFK Blvd. Clarion is at 15615 JFK, Comfort is 15555 JFK, Country Inn is 15558 JFK, Hampton is 15831, Sheraton North is 15700 & they all offer free shuttles to/from the airport. I just hope there is somewhere within a block to get food also.

I will call Super Shuttle & see if they can take us to the port for less than $46pp as RCCL charges. Usually anything is less than cruise line bus transfers.

OK, yes, JFK is the road going north from the toll road to IAH. There are several motels and off-site airport parking places along there. I know that I've seen an assortment of fast food places and a waffle place along there. Maybe something like a Denny's. You won't starve, but it's not gourmet!:D At least you have no illusions about the neighborhood, etc. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading your posts. We have never gone out of Galveston either. We always cruise out of Pt Canaveral.Ft Lauderedale or Miami. Ft Lauderdale and Miami are so close to terminals. Pt Canaveral is about 1 hr 20 minutes. It is so easy.

Texas seems so hard. HOw long is it from Hobby airport to Galveston hotels? How early is the first plane to take when leaving the cruise to airport after the cruise?

Any good suggestions on a hotel that isn't a fortune?

Does anyone have any suggestions on Gluten Free places? I have Celiac and have to eat GF. ? Don't want to ask too many questions at once

We are thinking of Magic too.

The Carnival Magic will be drawing many of out-of-towners to Galveston. While most of us who regularly sail out of there drive to the port, it is accessible by air ... but be prepared for a long (and expensive) ride to the terminal from Bush Intercontinental (IAH). Other comments notwithstanding, it's 90 minutes to two hours away, and the most economical option is a cruise line transfer ... yes, there's a wait, and it's tedious; but you'll likely spend close to $100/pp each way using other means. Personally, given the limited cruise itinerary, I'd opt for Florida ... easier and more economical.

By contrast, Hobby International (HOU) is about 40 minutes from the port ... a straight shot down I-45. However, access is limited. Southwest and JetBlue are the major players, and flights are frequent. The next-best selection is Delta, although you'll be changing planes in Atlanta ... not my favorite thing to do. AirTran also flies in, but requires that same change. American Airlines (via Dallas) and Frontier (nonstop from Denver) have limited service, as well. Shuttles run around $35-$45/pp each way, and are easy to find. As a bonus, the airoprt just underwent a major facelift ... looks great, and it's really easy to get to baggage claim from the gate.

All the information about what to see and do in the area is posted above ... very accurate and detailed. It's a nice change of pace from the Florida mayhem ... so if you can fly into Hobby, like the Western Caribbean, and love new ships, you'll have a great experience in Galveston!

We are looking into Southwest Hobby Houston. 40 minutes isn't as bad as some. What is the earliest flight you would take leaving? Do you know any GF places to eat?

Thanks for your advice. Sorry Texas is very new to me. Only been to Dallas years ago.

The Carnival Magic will be drawing many of out-of-towners to Galveston. While most of us who regularly sail out of there drive to the port, it is accessible by air ... but be prepared for a long (and expensive) ride to the terminal from Bush Intercontinental (IAH). Other comments notwithstanding, it's 90 minutes to two hours away, and the most economical option is a cruise line transfer ... yes, there's a wait, and it's tedious; but you'll likely spend close to $100/pp each way using other means. Personally, given the limited cruise itinerary, I'd opt for Florida ... easier and more economical.

By contrast, Hobby International (HOU) is about 40 minutes from the port ... a straight shot down I-45. However, access is limited. Southwest and JetBlue are the major players, and flights are frequent. The next-best selection is Delta, although you'll be changing planes in Atlanta ... not my favorite thing to do. AirTran also flies in, but requires that same change. American Airlines (via Dallas) and Frontier (nonstop from Denver) have limited service, as well. Shuttles run around $35-$45/pp each way, and are easy to find. As a bonus, the airoprt just underwent a major facelift ... looks great, and it's really easy to get to baggage claim from the gate.

All the information about what to see and do in the area is posted above ... very accurate and detailed. It's a nice change of pace from the Florida mayhem ... so if you can fly into Hobby, like the Western Caribbean, and love new ships, you'll have a great experience in Galveston!

All good information and agree on most! BUT

We live in Galveston and can "drive" easily to Bush up HW45 to HW59 and left to Bush in a rough hour.

Where everyone gets this 2 hour deal I am unaware.

This again is only the drive.

There certainly are other considerations at airports.

We just cruised out of Port Canaveral in January with bad weather, tornados, and shuttle problems, and we almost didn't make cruise

because of all factors. Shuttle was biggest problem.

We made it barely ! HEY ?"+* happens!

It was also when new Carnival Ship almost hit our RCL ship in port

during our muster drills.

What an experience that was!

How the port let that happen is beyond me?????

Attitude was the difference between a possible conceived ordeal

and the real actual adventure.

Yes there "were" 2 hour trips to Bush Airport from Galveston

when the HW 45 highway at NASA ONE flyover major construction and wrecks caused problems for a few months.

Folks that construction is over! :D

This rough 1 hour also is conditioned on no wrecks, not using 45 north of Houston (use 59 north which is easier) and no rush hour traffic.

But that rush hour is and wrecks can be in any city !

To quote galveston.com (the official website of Galveston)

"Directions from Bush Intercontinental to Galveston (54 Miles)"

"Directions from Hobby to Galveston (31 Miles)"

At 60 miles an hour ..............an easy calulation for the drive only!

And if you want to drive faster!!!!!!!!

Major ship cruising in Galveston is on weekends anyway with less traffic.

Any weekend crusing does not encounter rush hour traffic.

Any cruising traffic should be mid morning or middle of day anyway,

whether it is during week or weekend.

Unless you are international travelers, use Hobby Airport!!!!!!:D

Between expansion of Southwest's routes , new Frontier service, Jet Blue, Air Tran and others, access is pretty easy from US in the west, northwest, middle of, northeast, southeast and any where around US to Hobby!!!!

We have had our personal possible major problems in Europe with strikes and weather.

Our worst experiences in US have been in Florida at FT Lauderdale, Miami and recent January experience.

Being happy does not mean that everything is perfect.

It means you have decided to look beyond the imperfections.

We love crusing for the adventures and our friends,

regardless of the imperfections and hassles!!!!!

They .....the imperfections and hassles

regardless of nature and extent

come with the territory

from where ever you cruise out of .

See ya'll on the ship:D

Maybe MAY also on spur of a moment

The reply above is very helpful for me! We are leaving from IAH on Saturday and plan on taking a taxi. I'm stressed about how long it will take, since our flight lands at 11:15am. Seems like I've been planning worst case scenarios though. BTW, taxi fare for 3 of us will be approx. $150 one way. We are taking a shuttle on the way back because it's cheaper and we won't be pressed for time.

On the way there though, I want to deplane and head straight for the taxi so we don't waste any time!

I understand about driving from Bush to Galveston ... but the majority of those flying into IAH would not have a car at their disposal. Enterprise is the only facility still in Galveston post-Hurricane Ike ... and it's closed on Sunday! Folks would have to fly in on Saturday, pay whatever it costs to rent a vehicle (plus a one-way dropoff charge) ... just doesn't make sense. Hobby is accessible from pretty much everywhere, thanks to Southwest. Lots of folks fly in from California ... good schedules, and it's closer than Florida. But some of the less popular starting points (Pacific Northwest and Upper Midwest, for example) require plane changes and layovers in both directions. It's a straight shot to Florida from most of those places. JetBlue has great flights from the eastern US, so that area is covered, as well. If the itineraries were something special, a bit of inconvenience would be tolerable ... but by virtue of its location, Galveston offers pretty much the same old, same old ... so getting to and from the cruise terminal is a major consideration.

I understand about driving from Bush to Galveston ... but the majority of those flying into IAH would not have a car at their disposal. Enterprise is the only facility still in Galveston post-Hurricane Ike ... and it's closed on Sunday! Folks would have to fly in on Saturday, pay whatever it costs to rent a vehicle (plus a one-way dropoff charge) ... just doesn't make sense. Hobby is accessible from pretty much everywhere, thanks to Southwest. Lots of folks fly in from California ... good schedules, and it's closer than Florida. But some of the less popular starting points (Pacific Northwest and Upper Midwest, for example) require plane changes and layovers in both directions. It's a straight shot to Florida from most of those places. JetBlue has great flights from the eastern US, so that area is covered, as well. If the itineraries were something special, a bit of inconvenience would be tolerable ... but by virtue of its location, Galveston offers pretty much the same old, same old ... so getting to and from the cruise terminal is a major consideration.

You are correct!

Bahamas to Hondurus isn't so bad and understand the cruise lines are considering additional destinations. Time will tell?

Not much different though from other same departure ports. Same oh Same oh!

One reason why we love transatlantics in and out of "Galveston".

Easy to get on or off living in Galveston .

Have visited mary ifferent countries in Europe, North Africa, Islands in Atlantic and Bahamas and Miami.

And we did MSC TA from Italy thru MEd/Atlantic/Carrib to Ft Lauderdale,

and have gone out of florida every now and then!!!!!!!

Whats wrong with the cruise ships transfer shuttles.

Or use Roll Call Members Only and get together with others,

thru Cruise Critic finding common travelers and times and groups going to same! We have done this in in US and Europe and has worked very well.

Works well for transfers and with excursions.

Or use the limos, cabs or other. There seems to be many threads about these alternatives on Gulf Coast Departures.

Or come in early and enjoy Galveston, Kemah, Houston, San Antonio

for what it does have.

Use Roll Call Members Only and get together with others.

We have always cruised out of Florida, Pt Canaveral,Ft Lauderdale and Miami. We have done a dozen cruises out of those 3 ports. Honestly have never had any problem with those 3 ports. We always cruise Jan Feb or March and November. Just wondering if the fog is as bad as some say in Galveston. .

Does anyone know about Gluten Free Places to eat? I know plenty of places in Florida. I am worried if we go in a couple days early, I can't find anywhere to eat. I don't like salads. I eat GF because I am Celiac. Not because I want to.

I also read the car rental is closed on Sunday. Do you return them on Sat nite late or? We want to spend 2 days before the cruise and see the area.

We have always cruised out of Florida, Pt Canaveral,Ft Lauderdale and Miami. We have done a dozen cruises out of those 3 ports. Honestly have never had any problem with those 3 ports. We always cruise Jan Feb or March and November. Just wondering if the fog is as bad as some say in Galveston. .

Does anyone know about Gluten Free Places to eat? I know plenty of places in Florida. I am worried if we go in a couple days early, I can't find anywhere to eat. I don't like salads. I eat GF because I am Celiac. Not because I want to.

I also read the car rental is closed on Sunday. Do you return them on Sat nite late or? We want to spend 2 days before the cruise and see the area.

We have cruised out of Galveston many times and never had a problem!

Fog is a problem everywhere and can be a problem but that is mother nature! Its not the fog lies in here and stays. Its a mother nature weather thing.... just like ice, snow, earthquakes, storms, volcano ash, and hurricanes. Strikes happen in Europe all the time. Fog happens on the west coast, gulf coast, florida coast and the atlantic coast.

Make your plans and buy insurance.

Gluten Free is a universal issue and should be available.

Look at Mosquito Cafe web site and email them.

I believe they will be GF and would know of others.

Call or email Enterprise in Galveston and discuss rental issues.

Archived