Towel hogs

DrSch

Just got back from an amazing cruise on the Emerald. Had the greatest time.

But someone needs to take all of you that drop your towels off on chairs at 6 am, and then don't show up until noon, and make you walk the plank.

So, let me tell you some truths about the world:

1) You aren't better than anyone else on the cruise.

2) You are not nearly as important as you think you are.

3) Reserving a chair with a towel is essentially something I would expect from a spoiled little child, not adults.

4) Just because "every one else" does it, doesn't make it right.

The reality of the situation is, that if people would just use the chairs when they were actually at the pool, the turnaround would allow for everyone that wants to sit there, to have a place to sit. I mean, you don't leave your car in the parking spot near the mall, so that if you decide you want to go to the mall, you have a good parking spot... right?

Princess told me that the policy is that after 20 minutes, towels are supposed to be removed. On my next cruise, I am going to just take a chair with a towel on it, and remove the towel after 20 minutes.. The revolution has begun!!

I do this all the time. I'll wait 20 minutes or so, or ask someone nearby how long the chair has been vacant. Then the towel gets removed and placed on the ground nearby. That's it. Too bad if they come back an hour later. I just tell them to find another chair. I have never had an argument. What are they going to do? Complain? No one would listen. If everyone removed towels after 20 minutes or so we would not have this problem as no one would try to save chairs anymore.

I hate to treat "children" with a childish act, but here goes. Why doesn't some cleaver and creative c.c. member make up a printable copy of a hog or hog's face - either real or cartoon-like. Below the picture would be a caption that would say to the effect "Current Time is _______; after 1 Hour this lounge chair is being reserved by a Chair Hog in violation of Princess Policy. This notice brought to you by a conscientious c.c. member." I did give them an hour for the benefit of the doubt so that when they return and say they only went to the toilet for a few minutes or to get an ice tea, etc., we can just laugh at their childlike excuse for being a chair hog.

:) I like the idea of a movement to send a message to the chair hogs!

Might try it on our next cruise - after 30 minutes, I will move the items to

underneath the chair and if anything is said, I will say "Guess I didn't see

your items!" and go back to my book. If enough people do this, will it make a difference?

Wouldn't it be great if Chair Hogs would sometimes cop to their behavior on these boards? Hmmm....wonder why you never see a post saying, "I leave my towel on a chair for hours at a time and this is why..."?

Either no one on the CC boards EVER hogs a chair (which is unlikely considering the amount of people who post on these boards and the amount of chair hogs there obviously are), or they just don't admit to it because they know how FREAKING obnoxious it is but they just don't care!

Come on, SOMEONE reading this thread IS a chair hog! Post a reply and try to redeem yourself! I dare ya ;)

Hi There

Do the deck hands still walk about putting tickets on chairs with towels on them

yours Shogun

I did not see anything like that.

The people have gotten quite brazen about it.. They put their books and personal belongings on the chairs as well, and some use these huge clothes pins to hold the towels to the chairs

I am going on my first cruise and im dreading the towels on bed saga after what i have read here. The staff should monitor in some way and throw off the towels. I will complain if it happens, though i suspect it will fall on deaf ears.

Personally I hate the area around the pool. It's over crowded too much foot traffic, noisy and not enough sun. I think the problem stems from the fact that there is no place to keep your belongings if you just want to use the pool and passengers are just using the chairs for storage. If I plan on going in the pool I just put my shoes and towel along the side of the pool trying to keep them where nobody will trip which isn't always an easy task. There are times that I am in the pool for over an hour so why do I need a lounge chair. When I'm done I grab my towel go to sun deck to dry off. I can always find a place to sit there and it is usually quiet and not as crowded. The bar service isn't the best but I'm not being harassed to buy a drink every 5 minutes either. I do wish Princess would come up with a place to keep your belongings while you are using the pool but I guess that would just create locker hogs.

You think chair hogs are bad...

I'm now reading about table hogs who

race to reserve a table by the window

in Horizon Court before they even get

their food.

They put books or other objects on the

table to hold it while they stand in line.

Could you imagine if everyone did that?!

The chair hogs drove me to Sanctuary.

I would rather spend the $15 per day for

the week to have my own reserved chair

than deal with the hogs that get up early

in the morning, throw their towels on the

chair then go to the Horizon court for

breakfast and throw their books on a table

to reserve it before getting in line to get food.

their food.

Honestly, in Horizon court you need to send a child, friend or spouse to sit at the table while the other half of the party gets their food other wise you will be walking around for hours before you get to eat. The problem in the buffet is that they have too many large tables and not enough tables for four. There were many times that my family of four was forced to sit at a table for eight. That makes me feel like a hog.

Honestly, in Horizon court you need to send a child, friend or spouse to sit at the table while the other half of the party gets their food other wise you will be walking around for hours before you get to eat. The problem in the buffet is that they have too many large tables and not enough tables for four. There were many times that my family of four was forced to sit at a table for eight. That makes me feel like a hog.

Wow, it does sound crowded. :eek: Did you consider calling ahead for reservations?

Honestly, in Horizon court you need to send a child, friend or spouse to sit at the table while the other half of the party gets their food other wise you will be walking around for hours before you get to eat.

I have yet to see it that bad, but we probably

ate at different times.

I don't think there is a problem with a friend

or spouse sitting at a table to reserve it for

a group already on line.

But to put articles on the table before getting

in line seems to be the biggest problem.

I don't see it often so I am pretty sure it has

not become epidemic.

Please, someone at Princess, START ENFORCING THE CHAIR HOG policy! I literally got up to use the restroom while on the Crown and came back and someone had moved to my chair and refused to move. I was shaking at this confrontation and the guy next to me (who was half asleep at the time, but who had been there since 7am as had I) had to vouch for me. It was HORRIBLE.

Princess Deck Attendants, PLEASE PLEASE mark the chairs and MOVE STUFF.

When someone removed the towel and ball cap of a "Chair Hog" and occupied the chair, the owner of goods returned an hour later and created a rather violent scene. Without even leaning forward the new occupant of the chair summoned a waiter over and ask that he in turn summon security. Security arrived and made it most clear that the "Chair Hogs" had surrendered their chairs after 20 minutes. When the protest continued security warned the passenger of possible consequence and all returned to normal when the "Hogs" departed.

Please, someone at Princess, START ENFORCING THE CHAIR HOG policy! I literally got up to use the restroom while on the Crown and came back and someone had moved to my chair and refused to move. I was shaking at this confrontation and the guy next to me (who was half asleep at the time, but who had been there since 7am as had I) had to vouch for me. It was HORRIBLE.

Princess Deck Attendants, PLEASE PLEASE mark the chairs and MOVE STUFF.

That's one reason why we always tell the person next to us when leaving a chair how long we'll be gone & where we're going. It's not a sure fire way to keep a seat but works most times.

Just got back from an amazing cruise on the Emerald. Had the greatest time.

But someone needs to take all of you that drop your towels off on chairs at 6 am, and then don't show up until noon, and make you walk the plank.

So, let me tell you some truths about the world:

1) You aren't better than anyone else on the cruise.

2) You are not nearly as important as you think you are.

3) Reserving a chair with a towel is essentially something I would expect from a spoiled little child, not adults.

4) Just because "every one else" does it, doesn't make it right.

The reality of the situation is, that if people would just use the chairs when they were actually at the pool, the turnaround would allow for everyone that wants to sit there, to have a place to sit. I mean, you don't leave your car in the parking spot near the mall, so that if you decide you want to go to the mall, you have a good parking spot... right?

Princess told me that the policy is that after 20 minutes, towels are supposed to be removed. On my next cruise, I am going to just take a chair with a towel on it, and remove the towel after 20 minutes.. The revolution has begun!!

If this is Princess' policy, at least you can refer to it when the towel hog comes back to claim his/her chair. We have, on occasion, taken chairs when there has been only a towel on the chair. After all, I don't know if someone is trying to save it, or was being lazy and left the towel on the chair with the intent of not coming back.

their food.

I would say that is acceptable. I dont want to be walking around with food going cold while looking for a table. Also, its difficult sometimes carrying your items while trying to serve yourselves. I wouldnt race for a particular table, but if I see an empty one, I would put my things down and go get some food.

However, I do not agree with chair hogs leaving their towels on a chair for hours. I dont think I would personally move the items, but would ask a member of staff.

I would say that is acceptable. I dont want to be walking around with food going cold while looking for a table. Also, its difficult sometimes carrying your items while trying to serve yourselves. I wouldnt race for a particular table, but if I see an empty one, I would put my things down and go get some food.

However, I do not agree with chair hogs leaving their towels on a chair for hours. I dont think I would personally move the items, but would ask a member of staff.

I've never had a problem with this.....usually, the person getting food at he HC doesn't take long to go thru the line.

Archived