New to Oceania - Questions About Dining on Regatta

Wannaknow

I know you have to make reservations for the specialty restaurants - but on other days do you have to reserve the GDR or the Terrace Restaurant - or do you just walk in?

Can you get a table for 2 or 4 alone if you like? If you want to be seated with other people - how many people are seated at those tables? (i.e. tables for 6 or tables for 8?)

I assume for breakfast/lunch - you just walk in? Is that correct?

Thanks for your help - we would appreciate any info.

I know you have to make reservations for the specialty restaurants - but on other days do you have to reserve the GDR or the Terrace Restaurant - or do you just walk in?

Never

Can you get a table for 2 or 4 alone if you like? Always If you want to be seated with other people - how many people are seated at those tables? (i.e. tables for 6 or tables for 8?) Both, I believe..

I assume for breakfast/lunch - you just walk in? Is that correct?Yes

Hope you enjoy Open Seating!:)

Can you get a table for 2 or 4 alone if you like? If you want to be seated with other people - how many people are seated at those tables? (i.e. tables for 6 or tables for 8?)

I assume for breakfast/lunch - you just walk in? Is that correct?

Hi,

Have sailed on Regatta 3 times. Yes you need reservations for Polo and Toscano but you just line up for the GDR and it is your choice if you want to eat at a table for 2 or 4 or 6 or more. Your choice.

Absolutely your choice!

We tend to have dinner in the GDR most evenings because we like meeting new people and the more varied menu. On some cruises we haven't eaten in Polo or Toscana once, on others we've dined there several times.

We tend to come in for dinner around 7:45-8:15 and several times we had to wait for a table (no more than 10 minutes), sometimes we ended up eating alone because there weren't others arriving at around the same time in order to create a larger table. But usually, we can share -- which is our preference.

Terrace is even more casual ("Tapas" in the evening). Again, you can share if you wish but it's a bit harder to do in Tapas because there is no maitre d' setting up a table. You can walk up to another couple and ask if they mind you joining them, or invite someone else to join you. But our experience is that unless you plan on meeting someone there, you may well end up eating alone. Which is fine if that's what you want to do so! And it's fine even if you didn't want to do so!

You'll get the hang of it very quickly ...

When you reserve for Polo and Toscana, you can say you would be happy to share, that way you are more likely to get extra time there. We were only guaranteed 1 night in each but ended up once in Polo and 4 nights in Toscana. You make your reservations on the ship at breakfast in the terrace or through your butler if you are in a penthouse cabin.

When you reserve for Polo and Toscana, you can say you would be happy to share, that way you are more likely to get extra time there. We were only guaranteed 1 night in each but ended up once in Polo and 4 nights in Toscana. You make your reservations on the ship at breakfast in the terrace or through your butler if you are in a penthouse cabin.

If memory serves (and often it doesn't!), I recall reading something on an earlier thread about being able to reserve the alternate restaurants up to 60 days out. Do you happen to know if this is true? We are new to Oceania (obviously :)).

If memory serves (and often it doesn't!), I recall reading something on an earlier thread about being able to reserve the alternate restaurants up to 60 days out. Do you happen to know if this is true? We are new to Oceania (obviously :)).

Depends on your cabin cat.

Top suites can book after final payment

Peons B and below can book 45 days out

You will get your quota so do not worry

Yep, just walk in. On our recently concluded cruise we ate at Polo twice, Toscana not at all, and MDR most nights -- most lunches -- and many breakfasts! I am always puzzled when folks consider MDR a consolation prize -- the food there suits us well, but to each his own I guess. A couple evenings we ate at Tapas on the Terrace just to eat quickly/lightly -- we like to relax and listen to the string quartet and TotT allowed us to get there for the 7 p.m. set!

As you can tell, we are a bit weird! ;-)

Thanks everyone. We cruised a long time ago on Princess & it had "as you wish" dining - which, on Princess, mean't no dining at all. We couldn't get into the DR or any of the 4 alternate DR's except for twice on our 7 nite cruise. By that I mean we had to eat before 5 or after 8:30 on 5 nites. We ate in the buffett instead :eek:.

So LHT28, "open dining" is a scary thing for us but something, if it works, we would very much enjoy! We are Category 3A. Does that mean we can make reservations 45 days out?

Toranut97 - you are not weird. You are the same as we are and we , of course, are not weird:).

Thanks everyone. We cruised a long time ago on Princess & it had "as you wish" dining - which, on Princess, mean't no dining at all. We couldn't get into the DR or any of the 4 alternate DR's except for twice on our 7 nite cruise. By that I mean we had to eat before 5 or after 8:30 on 5 nites. We ate in the buffett instead :eek:.

So LHT28, "open dining" is a scary thing for us but .

Your open seating experience on Oceania will be very different from Princess - you will have no or little problem getting seated promptly.

There are times when you have to wait a little longer when most people like to dine (I am thinking 8 or 8:30). We dine early and always get our choice of tables immediately. The system works very well.

No need to make reservations for the GDR, just show up. They will ask if you want to share a table or eat alone. Your choice. It you share a table, they will ask " would you like to share a table of 4, 6 or 8. The tables for 2 are very close to each other, you can always start a conversation with the table next to you. As to Polo and Toscana keep in mind their menu does not change for the entire voyage. You can make reservations on line before the cruise starts, otherwise you have to wait until you are on board. As to the number of times you can get it, it depends on the length of the cruise and what cabin you are in. Get to know the maitre d, sometimes a picture of a US president helps out. Enjoy, just got back from a 35 day crusie with O, every meal and venue was excellent.

So LHT28, "open dining" is a scary thing for us but something, if it works, we would very much enjoy! We are Category 3A. Does that mean we can make reservations 45 days out?

If you are concierge deck A3 cabin cat I think it is 60 days out you can book

If you go the the Already Booked section log onto make dining reservations & it will tell you the rules

I would not worry about the open ding we go 6:30 to 7 pm & always get a seat

some night people want to dine in GDR more than other nights EG captain's reception

Enjoy

Lyn

If you are concierge deck A3 cabin cat I think it is 60 days out you can book

If you go the the Already Booked section log onto make dining reservations & it will tell you the rules

I would not worry about the open ding we go 6:30 to 7 pm & always get a seat

some night people want to dine in GDR more than other nights EG captain's reception

Enjoy

Lyn

Oh! I never thought about the Captain's reception. Is it on the 1st nite or ...? Would be fun to do that. Haven't cruised in a long time.

Archived