Do meds need to be in their original containers?

bunchesofun

I was wondering if meds need to be in their original containers. Not so much as for the cruise itself, but if there were an emergency and you had to fly home. Would they make an issue of meds in a pill case not the original bottles? I take five and I'd rather bring a pill case with them all counted out.

I it is always safer to bring medications in their original container with the prescription label. Instead of bringing the whole bottle, count out the number you will need (plus a few extra).

As a general rule, always try to avoid situations which can potentially cut your cruise short.

I think it cant hurt, and in fact I am finally thinking better to bring them in original prescription containers. Honestly I have always brought mine in dosette containers, and I have never had a problem either boarding the ship, or entering the US, or leaving, and re entering Canada, however I have read a few queries such as yours, and am beginning to think, better to bring the original, pill bottles, or at the very least a pharmacists list of your meds. :)

As a police officer, I can tell you that getting caught with controlled substances is illegal, unless you have a prescription. That bottle with your name on it is your proof. Without it, you are in possession of illegal narcotics unless / until you can prove otherwise.

As a police officer, I can tell you that getting caught with controlled substances is illegal, unless you have a prescription. That bottle with your name on it is your proof. Without it, you are in possession of illegal narcotics unless / until you can prove otherwise.

I was afraid of that. And as I take Ritalin that's especially important. Thanks for the reminder.

I have a pill container that I purchased from the catalog of a well known travel outfitter. It looks like a trifold wallet and 16 separate compartments. If you normally use a daily pill dispenser, it works the same way. You just set it up before you go. I carry it on and I have never been questioned about it. I highly recommend it, as it lays flat and doesn't take up near the room that multiple pill bottles do. It's even color-coded, so if you have morning and evening pills, they can be separated.

SueB

I was wondering if meds need to be in their original containers. Not so much as for the cruise itself, but if there were an emergency and you had to fly home. Would they make an issue of meds in a pill case not the original bottles? I take five and I'd rather bring a pill case with them all counted out.

No.

DON

I was afraid of that. And as I take Ritalin that's especially important. Thanks for the reminder.

You're welcome. It's always better to be safe than sorry. Chances are, no one will see your medication but why take the chance of having your vacation ruined?

A 60 year old person carrying a 7 day pill container is not in possession of illegal narcotics. To accuse someone of that is simply wrong. I carry a bottle of pills, none are even meds, just vitamins and stuff.

If a person wants to inspect them go ahead, but if you cannot identify a "controlled substance" than you shouldn't even be looking. I don't have to prove anything to them.

In Canada, I was able to get 'blister' packs. This allowed me to have all my meds in one place, organized by the pharmacist. The pills were sorted according to the time I had to take them.

I went through airport security, ship security and no one even said boo.

Enjoy your cruise

A 60 year old person carrying a 7 day pill container is not in possession of illegal narcotics. To accuse someone of that is simply wrong. I carry a bottle of pills, none are even meds, just vitamins and stuff.

If a person wants to inspect them go ahead, but if you cannot identify a "controlled substance" than you shouldn't even be looking. I don't have to prove anything to them.

If your meds are not controlled substances then you have nothing to worry about. All I'm saying is if they are ( hydrocodone, xanax, valium, etc.) I would not recommend carrying them in anything other than their original container. No where in my post did I accuse anyone of carrying illegal narcotics.

DH and I are both law enforcement also (in Florida). It doesn't matter whether it's a narcotic or not, if it's a prescription medication it is illegal to carry without a prescription (which you must have proof COPY OF SCRIPT OR PILL BOTTLE), and someone CAN be arrested for that, so it doesn't really matter what anyones opinion is.

As the other LEO said chances are it wouldn't become a problem or even come up.... but why even take the chance.

As for your vitamins, if I wasn't positive I would call poison control and confirm that what you have is not a prescription medication, therefore you would have no problems.

The officer is correct. The law dictates that you must carry proof with the medication, or it is considered in possession of a controlled substance. I suggest you carry a copy of the prescription with the medication. All pharmacies provide a paper receipt that is usually perforated, or may be cut down to a smaller slip (generally 3x6 inches at most). This receipt has the medication name, dosage, and your name on it.

At the very least you should have a list of what meds you take with you. Think of the worst case of something happening to you and the medical staff needing to know what meds you are on so they can treat you properly. If you can't speak and there are no bottles - then what ?

DH and I are both law enforcement also (in Florida). It doesn't matter whether it's a narcotic or not, if it's a prescription medication it is illegal to carry without a prescription (which you must have proof COPY OF SCRIPT OR PILL BOTTLE), and someone CAN be arrested for that, so it doesn't really matter what anyones opinion is.

As the other LEO said chances are it wouldn't become a problem or even come up.... but why even take the chance.

As for your vitamins, if I wasn't positive I would call poison control and confirm that what you have is not a prescription medication, therefore you would have no problems.

Thanks. He's just trying to stir the pot. Not sure why he thinks the OP is a 60 year old either. ( Not that age has anything to do with unlawful drug possession!) :cool:

Our bags were searched based on items we claimed as souvenirs and they checked all the pill bottles we had to make sure they matched our id's so I wouldn't travel without them in the correct containers. I wouldn't want the hassle of having to deal with it if they inspect your stuff.

I never carry them in original containers, and have crossed more than 100 different borders. However, I would make an exception for narcotics and other controlled substances. Actually, I did carry narcotics big enough for an elephant when I was subject to kidney stone attacks, and did not have a prescription, but I realize now that this was really foolish. Normal meds - I carry in a large pill case. Arrested in Florida? Death by lightning is more likely.

Bill

I put all DH's meds in a weekly container in the carry-on.

Except the narcotics...those I keep in the original bottle on my person.

You hit the nail on the head. I always pack my meds in a weekly container, but always keep the narcotics in their regular bottles.

Never had a problem, don't expect to.

Our bags were searched based on items we claimed as souvenirs and they checked all the pill bottles we had to make sure they matched our id's so I wouldn't travel without them in the correct containers. I wouldn't want the hassle of having to deal with it if they inspect your stuff.

There it is. It would only have to happen one time to ruin your trip.

What we have done is use the pill counter and have the pharmacist run off copies of our labels. The real fun begins when you bring in legally prescribed US drugs into a country where they are illegal.

The real fun begins when you bring in legally prescribed US drugs into a country where they are illegal.

Great! How do we find out? We go to Europe in 2 months & was planning on taking my percocet (in the original Rx bottle) in case my medical condition acts up while on our trip. I don't want to be arrested in Italy or Spain because my legal US Rx is illegal there. :(

What we have done is use the pill counter and have the pharmacist run off copies of our labels. The real fun begins when you bring in legally prescribed US drugs into a country where they are illegal.

I would imagine that would be a similar situation to when people from other countries (say Canada for instance) bring medications that are over the counter there (Tylenol 3, for example) into the United States - and are prescription here. Actually, I wonder how those situations are handled :confused: Sorry, off topic.

When DH and I travel - we just put all of our medications in a pill container. Vitamins, prescription, and narcotic - but we do carry a small binder, similar to a weekly planner, that has our printed prescriptions in it. It fits nicely in my purse.

Stirring the pot... you got that right Frank12

Try and arrest me for carrying my meds in a travel container.

Just.. Try... I'll get you my pretty....

Really? I mean really? pffft.

just couldn't resist. ;)

Archived