Does your luggage get scanned leaving ship?

Does anyone know if your luggage gets scanned when you leave the ship? The reason why I'm asking is because something was stolen out of our luggage. We used the luggage valet service which brings the luggage directly to the airport and then you receive it on your final destination. The luggage had to be scanned for someone to see the article. We're filing reports with the police, airline and TSA, but if Royal Caribbean scanned luggage we would need to go that route also. It's sad to have lost the article, but what really makes me furious is someone being shady, getting off and doing it again. Has this happened to anyone?

I bought some perfume duty-free on the ship and packed in my "to be checked" luggage. We did not use the valet but somewhere between my stateroom and my arrival in hometown the perfume was stolen. Lesson learned: don't buy perfume!

My dh talked to the airline baggage office and he said stuff like that is easy to grab (in the original box). This doesn't really help you but I don't think the luggage is scanned on the way out. There really isn't a point (unless they're looking for those pool towels and have embedded microchips to see them? LOL)

I've been doing searches and looks like a lot of people have gotten perfume stolen. So does that mean while our luggage sits out the night before the crew is rummaging thru our luggage all night?

I've been doing searches and looks like a lot of people have gotten perfume stolen. So does that mean while our luggage sits out the night before the crew is rummaging thru our luggage all night?

From what I have read, it's likely happening at the airport. :mad:

Were your bags locked? If not, they should be! Anytime your belongings are NOT in your possession, they should be locked...zip-ties are not locks.

No..it's never happened to us. We lock our bags. Anything of real value is in our possession at all times...it's not left in the hallway, or given to porters or checked on the airlines!

Luggage was thoroughly 'scanned' by drug sniffing dogs when arrived in Port Everglades after our Freedom cruise.

That would be Port Canaveral and they use drug and agri (fruits, etc..) sniffing dogs there.

Bags are not scanned when you leave the cruise ship. There is no benefit for RC to do so. Similar to going to an airport, you get scanned on your way in but not on your way out.

I personally always have my bags locked. It doesn't take much time for someone to unzip a bag, grab something, and zip it back up again.

Bags are not scanned when you leave the cruise ship. There is no benefit for RC to do so. Similar to going to an airport, you get scanned on your way in but not on your way out.

I personally always have my bags locked. It doesn't take much time for someone to unzip a bag, grab something, and zip it back up again.

What about customs? cache of cuban cigars, fake Rolex's, to name but a few.

People always advise to smoke them Cubans before leaving the ship. Why? just put them in your luggage if no one checks.

What about customs? cache of cuban cigars, fake Rolex's, to name but a few.

People always advise to smoke them Cubans before leaving the ship. Why? just put them in your luggage if no one checks.

OP asked if Royal scans bags when they come off the ship. RC doesn't but that doesn't mean that US Customs won't.

If your bags aren't scanned as they leave the ship how is it decided which bags and their owners are going to be directed to customs as you swipe your SeaPass card on disembarkation :confused:..The one time it happened to me I had done "Luggage Valet" (like someone trying to smuggle something off would use luggage valet ) in FLL..Claimed on my customs form the couple of bottles of liquor I had bubble wrapped soooo carefully and placed in the middle of my suitcase... As I swiped my SeaPass card (already depressed about leaving the ship) alarms went off :o and I was marched past everyone by RCI and taken to a holding area where to my surprise there were many other passengers. I unlocked my TSA approved locks as directed and had to unwrap my 3 bottles of Rum Jumby (so much for bubble wrap, almost like it was a signal for them) ..Was thanked and told what a nice job I did at packing :eek: and sent on my way...From what I observed this whole process as some of you might think did NOT seem random at all....The moral of my story because it could happen to you....Beware of the Bubble Wrap..:D

From what I have read, it's likely happening at the airport. :mad:

I agree

Luggage was thoroughly 'scanned' by drug sniffing dogs when arrived in Port Everglades after our Freedom cruise.

That would be Port Canaveral and they use drug and agri (fruits, etc..) sniffing dogs there.

Also agree -- most likely it was the at the airport.

Hmm, the dog sniffers are at every port, not just Port Canaveral -- as Quiltr posted Port Everglades has them too and I've seen them them / knew about them at other ports I've disembared as well.

Isn't it the Port Authority that calls the shots at the terminals? RCI unloads all that luggage to the PA. Does anyone know if the PA or US Customs aren't scanning before letting the dogs do their thing?

Ashland -- have no idea why you were 'pulled over' -- other than don't assume that everyone is an honest as you doing Luggage Valet -- that might be the exact reason they are -- thinking they will get away it. So maybe there's a random selection, and you were that one.

Also agree -- most likely it was the at the airport.

Hmm, the dog sniffers are at every port, not just Port Canaveral -- as Quiltr posted Port Everglades has them too and I've seen them them / knew about them at other ports I've disembared as well.

Isn't it the Port Authority that calls the shots at the terminals? RCI unloads all that luggage to the PA. Does anyone know if the PA or US Customs aren't scanning before letting the dogs do their thing?

Ashland -- have no idea why you were 'pulled over' -- other than don't assume that everyone is an honest as you doing Luggage Valet -- that might be the exact reason they are -- thinking they will get away it. So maybe there's a random selection, and you were that one.

That darn dog sat down next to my son's suitcase once. :(

They took their time going through EVERYTHING in his bag. It took about 20 minutes.

The funny thing is, that was the cruise that one of our bags got left on the terminal floor when we hopped in our cab for FLL.

When I raced back to get the bag, BECAUSE we had been held up there just half an hour before, they remembered me, and let me in to search for my missing bag.

Karma!

:)

If you used luggage valet service, the bags were first scanned by CBP, then most likely searched by TSA at the airport. Unfortunately, you are not going to know at which point your bag was opened. Many hands touched it.

Archived