Rough Waters???

You can never predict sea conditions. Who would have planned that in NW Florida today we have had 4" of rain so far in the last four hours and tornado warnings all around us.

If you are subject to motion sickness (if your physician allows) pre-medicate with Bonine starting the day before your cruise. Get some Ginger Capsules at a health store. Taking ginger really does help and is one of the few extracts that actually can help control motion sickness if it occurs.

Eat a lot of those ginger candies the Yum Yum man offers every night when you exit the dining room. After 26 years in the Air Force I also believe sometimes it is mind over matter.

The difference between motion sickness in the Air Force versus the Navy? In the Air Force you look at your watch and in the Navy you look at a calender!:eek:

We've done that trip twice, once in December and once in April. Both times the weather was almost perfect. But as aliascheif says, there is no way to predict what the conditions will be more than a couple of days out. One thing we have found though on repeated cruises is that the two parts of the trip most likely to have sea states you'll notice are leaving Ft Lauderdale as you cross the Gulfstream, then if you return between the Yucatan Puninsula and Cuba. For some reason there is often a bit of sea action there.

If you are sensitive, you also might want to try Transderm Scopalamine (by presecription)...works wonders.

We did this cruise and had no problems.............but dh has a tendency to get sea sick (so I get stuck packing).

Seriously, before you get caught up in prescription stuff - why not pack a set of 'sea bands'. they don't cost much and can be used over and over.

they work based on acupuncture. worked for me on my very first cruise - never used them since, but dh has and swears by them. no meds, no fuss, no muss.

and re usable. the front desk also has sea sick stuff if you need it.

Now, let's move on to the bright side - an awesome cruise - with a tremedous viewing right on the ship - I loved the Panama. We had no issues - not even dh. - be prepared if you must but just go with the flow and you will have a wonderful time I am sure :)

It takes

I second the use of the sea bands. DH has been using them (the same ones) for years and no problems. Maybe it is mind over matter but we never leave home for a cruise without the sea bands and we have had 40 cruises since 2001 and no complaint from DH. And have crossed the Tasman Sea and survived a North Atlantic storm. Try them.

Barbara

Agree with aliaschief on the Bonine and the others with regard to the areas of choppiness on this particular cruise. We sailed on the Zuiderdam in Jan 2010 and had such a great time at all the ports of call, we have just rebooked the same cruise for this coming November.

I, too, am prone to "mal de mer." I always start taking Bonine the day before we board and take one tablet every morning and one every evening. Unless the seas get really rough (and there have been a couple of times on other cruises), I am fine and never miss a meal! :D

I also have my MD write me a prescription for Phenergan (promethazine), a prescription drug that alleviates or prevents motion sickness. Last time we cruised, I didn't need any of the pills (usually just get 10). Another time, I did need the pills -- glad I had them! Also, you can always visit the ship's medical clinic if the non prescription stuff doesn't work.

I really wouldn't worry -- go have a great time!

The posters who have suggested pre-medicating with Bonine (meclizine) have the right idea, but I would suggest taking it for two days before sailing and then the first day on board. If the Captain announces that the seas are going to be rough around a particular time during the day or evening, remember to take your medication at least an hour before rough seas are to begin.

We did an Antarctic cruise on Crystal, so rough during the transit of the of the Drake's Passage, that the ship had to turn around because the winds were well over 100 mph, and we lost three windows on a passenger deck (we returned to Ushaia, the windows were repaired and we sailed again the next night, still rough, but much better)---and I had no problem after taking the Bonine.

Go and enjoy yourself.

Ricki

I forgot one thing - ginger - very, very helpful. HAL offers it as you leave the MDR at dinner - it's a bit candied and very edible - I always get a couple just in case - it really can help settle your stomach if you hit rough waters. smooth sailing :)

I forgot one thing - ginger - very, very helpful.

Indeed.

I also bring my own packets of Ginger Tea to have w/ breakfast if I'm feeling a bit queasy...

(I just love that word, Don't you? ;))

...and I've found that a Grolsh beer helps settle an unhappy tummy.

However, the worst things you can do when you're feeling the seas is to eat heavy/rich foods and stick your nose in a book indoors - Get oudoors, take in the fresh air and look at the ocean. :)

I start with a half a Bonine (meclizine) tab before seas get rough, if this is when you want to be up & alert. They make me sleepy.....so always one at night if seas are rough, sleep like a baby!!

Always can take another tab or half doesn't cut it during the day. Bands or just applying pressure to the wrist area does seem to help. Watch the dose of Bonine (meclizine) if you are a small, or low weight, start small & increase as needed.

Doing the above always helps me.

Have fun!

One February the trip down to the canal was quite rough. Other times, nice and smooth. As stated above, you cannot predict sea conditions more than a day or so in advance.

I also recommend Bonine/meclezine. Works well for most folks and is less drowsy than other medications.

The Sea Bands are your best bet.

I have used the scopalamine....had a bad reaction to it.

That can be dangerous stuff & one should be very careful when using it..We used the patch on one cruise, but after that our Dr. advised us to use Meclazine..She was concerned about the side effects of the patch...Also after seeing a Friend overdose & having a serious problem we've never used it again..

We were doing an overnighter to the Dry Tortuga's with boats from our Sailing Club... One lady in the group was prone to sea sickness & decided to put two scopolamine patches on,:eek: instead of one, the correct dosage..

During the night her DH radioed everyone & asked that some of us try to stay nearby as his wife was hallucinating.. She was seeing pirates trying to come over the stern of their boat & pleading with her husband to get their gun & shoot the pirates...One in our group was a Dr. & was advising him over the radio about what steps he could take to try to calm her down.. The first thing he said was get those patches off her!.. They had quite a wild night.. Fortunately all she did was sleep for the next 24 hours but it was a bit scary..

Agree with the others that Meclazine seems to work & have not heard of any serious reactions to it...

Cheers....:)Betty

I did this in October of 2009 and the seas were smooth. I did a relocation from from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver on the old Westerdam in 1998 and I felt the seas between Ft. Lauderdale and Los Angeles were fine. Between LA and Vancouver it was not so rough but rather cold.

I also get seasick but spend a lot of time at sea. I find that the seabands work great. I have been in some very rough seas { 30 foot waves} and never had a problem. Ladies if you don't like the seaband look I cover with stretch braceletts. they come in casual and fancy

Archived