Concierge Guests Viewed As Potential Thieves?

nononsense42

So VERY well put!!! You must work in communications. I've been waiting for someone to explain the different between a hotel and a cruise ship.

Thanks, but I just write software for a living. Although the software I am currently working on lets one system talk to another system, so I guess that is communications. :D

The removal of items to prepare for new guests has happened on every cruise I've been on. Usually it's very subtle and you don't notice it much. It happened on my last cruise on the Equinox. I don't recall if they took the bino's or not. It's just something I expect and don't give a second thought to. These poor stewards work hard enough and I don't blame them for getting a headstart. OTOH, it was not a good way that the steward handled your questions. I'm sure he was never supposed to imply that items were removed because people stole them. Although, I bet some people do take items as souveniers. I think this is just a case where the worker could have had more tact. I'd just let it go and remember the good parts of the cruise.

Just off Constellation 2/26 - 3/12. CC2 cabin. Nothing was removed on the last night...binoculars, umbrellas, robes, notepads...

Nothing.

Maybe our stateroom attendant trusted us, I can't say.

- Respectfully - Dragline

On a week-long cruise, you are paying for seven days. Whatever ammenities are in the room on day one when you arrive should be there on day seven when you leave. It's that simple. Reason to get all worked up? No, can't understand that. But removing items is just poor customer service and leaves the customer with a sense of being rushed out the door because they are no longer important. It is not something I would care enough to ever start a thread about, but since one is here I will post my opinion. As a human being of course I care about the hard work the room stewards need to do the last day (all days for that matter). But as a paying customer that should not be my concern, that is what the ship's management should be handling. I choose Celebrity for many reasons, with customer service being one of the primary. They exceed 95% of my expectations. This happens to be within the 5%.

I agree. However, reality sets in. If you had to make a choice which of the following options would you choose:

1. Current procedure - Cabins receive minor prep the evening before disembarkation including removal of items such as binoculars and information folders and inventory/sealing of mini-bar.

2. Procedures are delayed until after you disembark, however this means that embarking passengers (including you a week earlier) don't have access to their cabins until a couple hours later than the current time. As a result boarding is delayed and it is likely that luggage delivery will have a similar delay, in part because the assistant stewards who deliver the luggage are instead helping the stewards prep the cabins.

3. Procedures are delayed until after you disembark and the current schedule is maintained, however in order to do so the cruise line increases staff resulting in an increase in cruise prices.

Personally, I'd pick #1 - it just isn't a big deal to me if I don't have mini-bar access, the information folder for the cruise or a pair of toy like binoculars after dinner when it is dark out.

So what are binoculars used for on the last night of the cruise?

Peeking into cabins on neighboring cruise ships on the last morning???:eek:

I've tried that but all I could see was a bunch of dock workers pointing at me and laughing as I stood out there in my shorts.

I agree. However, reality sets in. If you had to make a choice which of the following options would you choose:

1. Current procedure - Cabins receive minor prep the evening before disembarkation including removal of items such as binoculars and information folders and inventory/sealing of mini-bar.

2. Procedures are delayed until after you disembark, however this means that embarking passengers (including you a week earlier) don't have access to their cabins until a couple hours later than the current time. As a result boarding is delayed and it is likely that luggage delivery will have a similar delay, in part because the assistant stewards who deliver the luggage are instead helping the stewards prep the cabins.

3. Procedures are delayed until after you disembark and the current schedule is maintained, however in order to do so the cruise line increases staff resulting in an increase in cruise prices.

Personally, I'd pick #1 - it just isn't a big deal to me if I don't have mini-bar access, the information folder for the cruise or a pair of toy like binoculars after dinner when it is dark out.

You have that one right. Boarding can be delayed until the 2PM suggested time and then there's no reason to open the buffet for people arriving. You better have some lunch before boarding. I can just hear the screaming about no proper food until dinner and no luggage on time for the first evening.

On a week-long cruise, you are paying for seven days. Whatever ammenities are in the room on day one when you arrive should be there on day seven when you leave..

Agreed, however---If day one is on a Sunday when you arrive then day seven is the following Saturday, not Sunday. By this way of thinking day eight would be a bonus day.

I posted previously on this thread, but let me recap one of the points I was trying to make.

Those boarding on a certain day are getting the benefit of service that was done before they boarded, just as those on the next cruise benefit from the prep done while on your cruise. You are still getting your full cruise.

As Larry and others have noted, if the ship waited until the other passengers were all off before they started the prep, you would have late boarding, no lunch, etc etc.

Quit whining!

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

On my first cruise back in 1983 on Commodore's La Boheme, we were not allowed to board until 2:00 and there was no lunch. In fact, I don't even remember snacks being provided to hold us until dinner. Back then, you had three seatings--early/late--and you had to appear at your assigned table every meal during your time frame. It was always a choice of early meaning breakfast would be at 7:00 and dinner at 6:00 or late which had a more convenient breakfast time but no supper until 8:30.

And on departure day? After having tipped our room steward (who was excellent--back then they came into your cabin to tidy up, refill the ice bucket every time you left--over the recommended amount, giving him laurels on the comment card, he banged on the door at 6:00 a.m. to get us up and out so he could get started turning the cabin for the next week.

Thank you, I'll take embarkation at noon, lunch, and the bums rush the last night over the in the early days. If they took anything out of our cabin the last night on the Eclipse, I didn't miss it.

Tucker in Texas

I understand what you are saying, but preparation for new guests should not involve removing everything of value from the stateroom because of concerns it will be taken. I take issue with that.

Having Celebrity assume I'm a thief is what negated everything........ read the subject line please.

You can imagine my shock when he spoke of them being stolen from the staterooms.

The removal/non-removal of items would never be an issue for me.

However, and since no one else has addressed this, if the steward did indeed mention that binoculars are removed because "guests stole them" the steward is 100% wrong in verbalizing this to a passenger.

What goes on and what is known in the back of house, remains in the back of the house.

The steward could have just as easily replied that his actions were SOP or he was required to do so, etc. etc....period.

Agreed, however---If day one is on a Sunday when you arrive then day seven is the following Saturday, not Sunday. By this way of thinking day eight would be a bonus day.

I guess it would be, if you were allowed to stay all day. On a seven day cruise you board at noon-ish, get to your cabin at one-ish, and on the day you depart you need to leave at nine-ish. So to be completely technical and admittedly boorish, you actually are onboard less than seven days.:)

I've always received responses to every complaint I've emailed to Dan Hanarahan or other top management at Celebrity.

I've searched these forums and everywhere else I can think of, but can't find Dan Hanrahan's email address. Is that something you're willing to share, please?

The removal/non-removal of items would never be an issue for me.

However, and since no one else has addressed this, if the steward did indeed mention that binoculars are removed because "guests stole them" the steward is 100% wrong in verbalizing this to a passenger.

What goes on and what is known in the back of house, remains in the back of the house.

The steward could have just as easily replied that his actions were SOP or he was required to do so, etc. etc....period.

Perhaps the steward was was told that by his supervisor during training that the reason to remove/lock items on the last date was because guests have stolen these items. However the supervisor didn't tell him what to say when a guest asks why. Remember for most english is their second language and they may have difficulty, so it would make sense for the steward to state what his boss told him, without realizing that it may not be something that should be said to a guest.

Perhaps Celebrity could put a note in the dailys on the last full day to explain that during dinner, items will be removed, the mini-bar will be locked, with the "offiicial" Celebrity explanation. It would also give guest the option to speak with guest services if there is a reason to deviate from this process. That way it isn't left to a Steward to answer a question he/she may not really understand, other than that's what my boss tells me to do and it's to prevent items from being stolen.

"I guess it would be, if you were allowed to stay all day. On a seven day cruise you board at noon-ish, get to your cabin at one-ish, and on the day you depart you need to leave at nine-ish. So to be completely technical and admittedly boorish, you actually are onboard less than seven days. "

And that's why they call it a 7 NIGHT cruise, or a 10 NIGHT cruise...go ahead, look in a brochure...they don't guarantee you 7 full days. Just as a hotel has a check-in time of 3pm, and a check out time of 11 am, you don't get a full 24 hours there except under unusual circumstances.

The special bag they have in Concierge cabins...please tell me these are meant to be taken home as I've always kept mine.

If not, I have unwittingly become a Concierge thief. :(:o

Its a gift to you and you are suppose to take it!

Den

Here's my recent experience with sailing in a concierge class cabin. I took 3 such cruises last year. There is a notice in the daily paper stating that the mini bar will be locked and its contents inventoried. Our bathrobes have never been taken and I would be very upset if they were as I use mine the last morning. "Inferior" quality towels have never been substituted.

I don't recall that the leather noteholder has ever been taken, nor have the flowers gone away. Sometimes they were replaced; sometimes not. I don't use the binocs, so can't comment on that and I don't use umbrellas on board the last night, but I specifically recall seeing ours in the bottom of the closet when I was packing up the last night of our last cruise.

I'm sailing for the first time in a non concierge class cabin in May. It will be interesting to see what that experience is like. Since all balcony cabins are the same size on the S class ships, did not see the point of paying extra for CC.

Archived