Prices escalating - OUCH!

TedC

Regent 2011-2012 Winter Collection catalog arrived this week showing higher prices.

One cruise I know about will be $1700 higher per person for an H. Another is up $3000 PP!

I think higher prices go into effect April 1 (April Fool's Day - but I'm afraid it's NOT a joke!)

If you're even thinking about booking a cruise do it prior to April 1.

Regent 2011-2012 Winter Collection catalog arrived this week showing higher prices.

One cruise I know about will be $1700 higher per person for an H. Another is up $3000 PP!

I think higher prices go into effect April 1 (April Fool's Day - but I'm afraid it's NOT a joke!)

Ted,

I don't believe the new catalog is showing increased prices. Instead, the prices appear to have increased because the catalog prices don't include what Regent calls "Bonus Savings." For example, the October 10, 2011 cruise from Athens to Rome shows a per person fare of $9299 for a Cat. H suite on the website. The catalog on page 93 shows the fare as $10999, an apparent fare increase of $1700. However, if you look at the reverse side of the paper showing your mailing address that was part of the catalog package, you'll see that there is a "Bonus Saving" of $1700 per person for this cruise which brings the fare down to $9299, the same fare shown on the website.

Similarly, the February 25, 2012 cruise from Rio to Ft. Lauderdale cruise shows a fare of $12499 on the website, $15499 on page 87 of the catalog, and $12499 after applying the "Bonus Saving" of $3000 per person. In other words, as in the first example, what appears to be a fare increase of $3000 is due to not including the "Bonus Saving" amount in the fare shown in the catalog.

I assume Regent doesn't include "Bonus Savings" discounts in the catalog fares because they can increase fares by reducing some or all of the "Bonus Savings" without the necessity of reprinting many catalog pages to show fare increases. They can simply change the reverse side of the mailing label sheet to reflect a decrease in "Bonus Savings."

Some cruises may increase in price on April 1st but not necessarily all cruises. Regent provides the opportunity for quarterly fare increases but usually doesn't increase fares on a particular cruise four times a year. It's my impression that cruises that are selling well are more likely to have fare increases than cruises that are not selling as well. For example, our recent Cape Town to Ft. Lauderdale b2b cruises had between 500 and 600 passengers and did not have any fare increases. On the other hand, our Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale cruise this October was basically sold out last fall and has had a significant fare increase.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Is the "new" brochure for 2012? The last brochure we received was in January for this year. When we want to see prices, we go to the website (hopefully it is up to date). Unless things have changed, you not only need to book by April 1st to avoid a possible increase, but must also pay it off.

Is the "new" brochure for 2012? The last brochure we received was in January for this year. When we want to see prices, we go to the website (hopefully it is up to date). Unless things have changed, you not only need to book by April 1st to avoid a possible increase, but must also pay it off.

TC2,

Surprisingly, the catalog is for the 2011 - 2012 Winter Collection which has been on the website for many months. I don't understand your last sentence. It seems to say that you need to pay the total fare before April 1st to avoid a possible fare increase. AFAIK, you might have to pay the entire deposit before April 1st to avoid a fare increase but not the total fare.

Dave

We booked a cruise in Feb. 2011 sailing Nov. 2011. Actually a repositioning cruise and when we got our "book" (what an expense for Regent!) today from Regent the cost had gone up approx. $4000/person. We are Seven Seas Society Members, got a discount. Thank goodness!

We booked a cruise in Feb. 2011 sailing Nov. 2011. Actually a repositioning cruise and when we got our "book" (what an expense for Regent!) today from Regent the cost had gone up approx. $4000/person. We are Seven Seas Society Members, got a discount. Thank goodness!

From looking at the "book", it appears you are on the Nov 20 Rome to Ft. Lauderdale. As another poster stated, Regent has increased the prices in the book so that they won't need to reprint the "expensive" book and provided and insert that shows discounts on a per suite basis. Yours shows a $3400 discount per suite. The insert also states prices may be increased on April 1. Not sure if this is meant to be an April Fools Day Joke?? The difference for the fare you booked and the book value should be $1700 or half the insert discount.

We just this week booked a cruise for 2012 and on the insert it shows a $4000 discount per suite and the price in the book is $2000 higher PP than our price or the web price. We'll all need to wait and see what occurs on April Fools Day!

TC2,

Surprisingly, the catalog is for the 2011 - 2012 Winter Collection which has been on the website for many months. I don't understand your last sentence. It seems to say that you need to pay the total fare before April 1st to avoid a possible fare increase. AFAIK, you might have to pay the entire deposit before April 1st to avoid a fare increase but not the total fare.

Dave

I'm going back to a couple of years ago when cruise lines were adding fuel charges. We had a certain date to pay our cruise in full, or, we would have the surcharges added. It seemed that cruise increases (or decreases) could be added or subtracted to your account until the cruise is paid in full. Really hope that I am wrong on this.

P.S. What is "AFAIK"?

I'm going back to a couple of years ago when cruise lines were adding fuel charges. We had a certain date to pay our cruise in full, or, we would have the surcharges added. It seemed that cruise increases (or decreases) could be added or subtracted to your account until the cruise is paid in full. Really hope that I am wrong on this.

P.S. What is "AFAIK"?

OK, now I understand your last sentence. The fuel charge situation a few years ago was unique. I remember you could avoid the fuel supplement by paying for your cruise in full by a certain date. Now, Regent's terms and conditions specify that they may impose a fuel surcharge even if the cruise fare has been paid in full.

To the best of my knowledge, once a full deposit has been paid, neither Regent nor any other cruise line imposes a subsequent fare increase unless the full cruise fare has been paid. Once you have paid your deposit, you have a contract with Regent for the quoted price regardless of any future fare increases. The only exceptions are fuel supplements and increased taxes or official fees because the contract specifies that these may be imposed at any time.

AFAIK = As Far As I Know :)

Dave

I think I agree that this is Regent just saving money on printing their glitzy brochure. I'm guessing since we have not got a "book" from Regent recently (we actually get more mail from Oceania, lol!)

The issue seems to be, will they be in a position to withdraw their "special special early" discounts on April 1st, or will they extend most of them, as they did the last couple of years. If they do withdraw them, it means that they are doing very well. My guess is that the offers will get extended, but I'm just guessing. I know for our 2009 Rio cruise, I took the risk and waited until after the March deadline to book, and we, in fact, got further discounts after we booked.

I wouldn't worry about Regent raising their agreed price after you have laid down a discount--that won't happen, except, as someone pointed out, for the fuel surcharge. I guess as a Canadian I can't have it both ways--our $$ is soaring because of the international price of oil.

Rallydave: good to hear that you booked another Regent cruise:)

Giving Destinations one more try and then we'll decide if we continue booking Regent or go to another cruise line. Really loved the food and the on board service on all the Regent cruises we have been on have been excellent. Also found a Regent cruise where the bottom line cost for the cruise which both DW and I liked (without air) is actually just a little less than $300 per day per person.

A real bargain for Regent and too good to pass up. Really expect the cruise will see a significant increase on April Fools Day.

Thanks,

Getting us back on topic. . . . . I did compare some Silversea prices for 2012 against Regent. Quite surprising that Regent was a bit less $$$ (on European itineraries). And, for those of us that are not thrilled with Regent excursions, there will be on board credits on ALL Silversea sailings (from $500 - $1,500). They do a great job on managing excursions. If only I had found something that we were interested in.

Seabourn 2012 - early 2013 itineraries will be out "very soon" (don't know what that means). Want to see what they are offering before we make our 2nd 2012 booking. Seabourn generally has the best prices. . . . but, airfare has skyrocked and costs almost as much as the cruise.:eek:

I made a mathematical mistake (oops!!!)...We saved $2000 total (according to the "book") by early booking and SSMembers...:o

Archived