My First Cruise

firstcruiseoct11

My husband and I have been given an amazing 10 year anniversary gift.....a cruise vacation!! This will be our first cruise and we have no idea what to expect or what we need to do. We are leaving Oct. 8, 2011 from New Orleans, LA on the carnival ecstasy. My husband is not as excited as I am. He says he doesn't really want to be stuck on a boat for 5 days! I've tried to explain that we won't be on the boat the whole time and when we are there will be plenty of things to do.

I need any advice that anyone is willing to give!!! :confused:

Congratulations and welcome to cruise critic.

Tell your husband, he will not be stuck on a boat for 5 days. Most days, the ship will be in port and you can get off and take a tour or just wander around.

Some sections of Cruise Critic to check out:

The Port of Call section. Here you can learn about the ports you will be visiting.

The Roll Call section. Here you can meet others sailing with you. Often a Meet & Greet is planned on the ship. To join, Click Boards at the top of this page, Scroll down to Roll Calls, click on your cruise line, Click on your ship. Find the thread for your sailing.

welcome to cruise critic

tell your husband -- once he does his first cruise -- he will be hooked -- see new ports without living out of suitcase -- so much to do on the ship

after spending years living out of one suitcase per person touring everywhere via plane, cae, train, bus for at least 3 weeks at a time -- i got fed up and booked a back-to-back cruise for 14 days -- yes i heard those words -- "i don;t want to be stuck on a ship" -- 14 days -- 12 new places to see -- didn't have to unpack every nighrt anf pack again in the morning -- finding time to do laundry -- hunting places to eat good food, etc

to make a long story short -- he was sold!!

now have over 110 cruises

WOW!! Over 110 cruises! That is awsome. I am very excited!! The other concern is he is not really a beach person. So I am trying to find a perfect excursion for us. Since the cruise was booked all I have been doing is thinking about it and doing research. I think I'm hooked already!!

Welcome, what are your ports of call. You might go to the Port of Call section as Paul suggested and using the search function find lots to do that have nothing related to the beach. We are not beach or pool people and we have never had a problem finding things to do on or off the ship.

Kirk

Welcome, what are your ports of call. You might go to the Port of Call section as Paul suggested and using the search function find lots to do that have nothing related to the beach. We are not beach or pool people and we have never had a problem finding things to do on or off the ship.

Kirk

We stop in Progreso and Cozumel. I have been looking at the zip line, snorkel, and 4 wheeler excursions. So hard to make a decision.:confused:

My husband and I have been given an amazing 10 year anniversary gift.....a cruise vacation!! This will be our first cruise and we have no idea what to expect or what we need to do. We are leaving Oct. 8, 2011 from New Orleans, LA on the carnival ecstasy. My husband is not as excited as I am. He says he doesn't really want to be stuck on a boat for 5 days! I've tried to explain that we won't be on the boat the whole time and when we are there will be plenty of things to do.

I need any advice that anyone is willing to give!!! :confused:

You are on my cruise and we are celebrating being together 10 years and married 2!!!

My husband says the same thing! I am super excited. You should visit the roll call board and talk to us.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1333100

Definitely research your ports! A guidebook is a must! My hubby isn't a 'beach' person, either, unless he can rent jetskis or waverunners or something "motorized!" Almost every public beach has rentals, so he's happy and I can sit in the sun and read!

Pack as you would for any vacation to a hot climate....you'll be in swimsuits/shorts 80 % of the time, so don't overpack for daywear.

Carnival isn't as strict with dress codes as some lines, so whatever you'd wear to a nice restaurant for dinner is fine for the ship.

Do bring binoculars...you'll be surprised at all the things to see at sea!

Archived