Wine woe on Wind

Silver Spectre

Back on the Wind after a few years, ship is great, apart from the non-working carbuncle on the pool deck.

But, asked for a bottle of New Zealand Sav Blanc to be told that there was non on board and that central purchasing had decided to move to brands from other new world providers, such as SA. Tried them all and none are satisfactory.

Not a happy bunny.

Interesting - there was no NZ Sauvignon Blanc on board the Shadow when we left Sydney last month. However, following complaints, the Head Sommelier went shopping in Brisbane and returned with enough to last us the rest of the cruise. Good customer service. Thank you Paolo.

If this is indeed a policy decision by Silversea, I do hope that they review it and re-stock the ships with this fine white wine.

Back on the Wind after a few years, ship is great, apart from the non-working carbuncle on the pool deck.

But, asked for a bottle of New Zealand Sav Blanc to be told that there was non on board and that central purchasing had decided to move to brands from other new world providers, such as SA. Tried them all and none are satisfactory.

Not a happy bunny.

I wrote to Helen Fine in London regarding the very poor choice and quality of wines on a recent Spirit cruise. The reply was much as you have said, with Chile much in evidence. They have only one Australian chardonnay which is also a poor example. Their wine buying committee either has no palate or is so financially constrained that choice is limited to poor quality wines.

I am beginning to wonder if the all inclusive arrangement is becoming a cop out for poor quality. :mad:

P.S. I am convinced I could do a better job from my local Tescos.

I wrote to Helen Fine in London regarding the very poor choice and quality of wines on a recent Spirit cruise. The reply was much as you have said, with Chile much in evidence. They have only one Australian chardonnay which is also a poor example. Their wine buying committee either has no palate or is so financially constrained that choice is limited to poor quality wines.

I am beginning to wonder if the all inclusive arrangement is becoming a cop out for poor quality. :mad:

P.S. I am convinced I could do a better job from my local Tescos.

I am very disappointed to read this. We will be doing a first Silversea cruise of the Western Med in the summer and were hoping for some French and a diverse selection of Italian whites.

Is it possible to take a couple of our own 'special' bottles on board?

On Whisper in Dec. there was a very nice selection of French reds and some Italian whites. I had a different bottle of Bordeaux each night until DW and I arrived at two favorites. Since we were in SA the selection of Chilean wines was broad and when we got to Argentina the selection reflected it. I know something about wine and was very satisfied with the overall experience.

Not a happy bunny.

Hope the lack of NZ Sav blanc is not a policy decision of Silversea.If so perhaps someone in authority could explain,preferably not the person responsible for the non working carbuncle design that has ruined the pool area on the Wind.Please do not do the same to the Cloud on its forthcoming refurbishment!!

Hope the lack of NZ Sav blanc is not a policy decision of Silversea.If so perhaps someone in authority could explain,preferably not the person responsible for the non working carbuncle design that has ruined the pool area on the Wind.Please do not do the same to the Cloud on its forthcoming refurbishment!!

Have been told that the carbuncle will be removed at the next refit, and there is insufficient budget to 'Wind fit' the Cloud in the upcoming dry dock.

What exactly is a carbuncle? I did a googly search and got a photo of a very nasty looking pimple. You must have an alternate definition!

Back on topic ... I've noticed that wine quality on all-inclusive ships (and even resorts) seem to be the first thing to drop when the bean counters want to save a couple of bucks. I've had a time on Seabourn when the wine wasn't what I liked, but the hotel manager did like yours did in Australia and sourced something good at the next port.

It is a fact that in the 'new world,' Australia produces the largest number of good quality chardonnay wines. It is a fact that New Zealand produces the largest number of good sauvignon blanc wines. Some of each should be on the list.

To get French wines of similar quality one usually has to pay a lot more, which SS obviously won't do as demonstrated by a couple of stinkers they serve.

Italian ship, tried the Chianti? Don't bother, it's not recommended by their own staff!

I have spoken at length to the sommeliers on all my cruises and they admit that a lot of 'good' wines, which I and others have enjoyed, are no longer available.

Two or three years ago I doubt that local purchases would have had to be made as a result of complaints. Perhaps complaining is the only way forward.

There are a couple of jewels which I'm not identifying in case they run out and are not replaced before my next cruise! ;)

Have been told that the carbuncle will be removed at the next refit, and there is insufficient budget to 'Wind fit' the Cloud in the upcoming dry dock.

Thanks thats good news.Sort the NZ Sav blanc shortage and we can celebrate on the Cloud in July and August.

It is a fact that in the 'new world,' Australia produces the largest number of good quality chardonnay wines. It is a fact that New Zealand produces the largest number of good sauvignon blanc wines. Some of each should be on the list.

To get French wines of similar quality one usually has to pay a lot more, which SS obviously won't do as demonstrated by a couple of stinkers they serve.

Italian ship, tried the Chianti? Don't bother, it's not recommended by their own staff!

I have spoken at length to the sommeliers on all my cruises and they admit that a lot of 'good' wines, which I and others have enjoyed, are no longer available.

Two or three years ago I doubt that local purchases would have had to be made as a result of complaints. Perhaps complaining is the only way forward.

There are a couple of jewels which I'm not identifying in case they run out and are not replaced before my next cruise! ;)

I just posted a review of the Spirit where I highlight the financial tradeoffs the cruise line has made, and how I believe it will devalue their brand. The quality of the wines served is definitely a tradeoff they made, and it will have repercussions.

I just posted a review of the Spirit where I highlight the financial tradeoffs the cruise line has made, and how I believe it will devalue their brand. The quality of the wines served is definitely a tradeoff they made, and it will have repercussions.

How long can they use the description 'Fine Wine' in brochures and web sites before falling foul of advertising standards?

It gets worse, there is no Cloudy Bay on the 'posh' list. In fact, the selection is much smaller than I remember from a previous voyage, and way down on the Whisper or Shadow.

Then a real treat, a wine tasting. We were allowed a whole two wines, both red. When the question was asked about a white, the head sommelier had the cheek to answer 'oh the whites were tasted on the last cruise'.

I admit I'm a big supporter of SS. Taking that into consideration, I think the complaints about the wine are overdone. Please read my previous post as I found plenty of good selections. As far as NZ SB we had Monkey Bay and it was delicious, but we thought the Santa Rita from Chile was excellent as well. I don't put a lot of emphasis on the names, ie. Villa Maria or Kim Crawford, even Cloudy Bay; taste is what matters and learning new labels is fun. I repeat the selection of Bordeauxs was outstanding particularly because they were included!

I admit I'm a big supporter of SS. Taking that into consideration, I think the complaints about the wine are overdone. Please read my previous post as I found plenty of good selections. As far as NZ SB we had Monkey Bay and it was delicious, but we thought the Santa Rita from Chile was excellent as well. I don't put a lot of emphasis on the names, ie. Villa Maria or Kim Crawford, even Cloudy Bay; taste is what matters and learning new labels is fun. I repeat the selection of Bordeauxs was outstanding particularly because they were included!

It's all down to taste, one man's ranked Bordeaux may well be another man's rank Bordeaux!

Gee newlondon

I would hardly class ..Villa Maria, Kim Crawford as fine wines

in the $ 12/14 dollar range down-under....nice but not fine, Monkey Bay

very average,I am looking forward to a bit better than this on the Wind.

Regards M.P.

Hi Wripro, You may be absolutely right, but remember today fares are substantially discounted, so why should we expect everything to be the same. I still maintain that the wine is satisfactory; and part of the fun is dicovering new labels that we can have at home. Insisting on the same as 10 years ago without paying the same premium is wishful thinking.

Economics still control experiences unless one has more money than God!

Archived