Which room for Wheelchair?

I have fibromyalgia and will be bringing a fold up wheelchair with me just in case. I will not need it in the room, but if I have a bad day or there is too much walking I will need it outside the room.

I was just speaking to the access dept with royal. They suggested that I get a regular room (balcony, oceanview or interior) and that the wheel chair would fit in the room by the door when folded up.

This confuses me - when I look at any of the room pictures there is not space beside the door. On one side is the closet and the distance to the opposite wall is only the width of the doorway. That doesn't seem that it would not be a hinderance while going in/out of the room.

They do not have anywhere else on the ship to store it.

I would like the opinion of people that have been in the rooms on the adventure of the sea for any of the above class sizes.

Thank you.

If you book a D catagory, you'll be able to squeeze it into the cabin somewhere....folded, it will fit thru the door and in the cabin.

A JS would give you PLENTY of storage space...the walk-in closet is huge! But, you'll pay for that space..they can be pricey...and the bathroom has a tub...don't know if that would pose a problem getting in and out.

I wouldn't book anything smaller than a D, tho.

Be careful if you book a Junior Suite. Not sure of your needs or restrictions, but standard balcony cabins have a shower, and the Junior Suites have a tub. Not sure of one will be easier for you.

There should be enough room in a standard cabin to store a folded wheel chair. Have you tried to get an accessible cabin. That will give you more space and grab bars in the bathroom.

Good luck

My fold-up chair fits either beside the wall next to the bathroom - not the in the entrance way but the side toward the room or next to the chair/couch in the room. Not a lot of room, but we make do.

The access office seemed to feel that I don't need the accessible room.

That is fine with me so long as the room I have is not made smaller by having the wheelchair right in the room.

They weight 42 lbs or more and are quite large even when folded.

We are cruising for the first time and I have no idea what the rooms are like except for the pictures online. We are looking at the Adventure of the Seas.

We will only be able to afford a basic cabin as we have to fly from toronto to san juan to get the cruise.

Personally, I would think if you're bringing a wheelchar on board, you qualify for an accessible room. They are significantly larger than the same category standard room (in order to accomodate the chair).

Also, regarding your other question about luggage, in order to save closet space I completely unpack my suitcases and stow them under the bed.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

The access office seemed to feel that I don't need the accessible room.

It is not for them to determine if you need the accessible room - they are not permitted to ask why. Check the disabled cruising section of these boards for advice.

and that the wheel chair would fit in the room by the door when folded up.

Not really. We've tried that in a regular balcony cabin. Huge hassle. Aside from the chair (a junior size foldable) not fitting through the door - even when folded as tight as possible and parked we were fighting our way around it to get to the bathroom.

My wife is partially paralized on right side (leg, arm, everything) and can walk with a cane but not the distances of the ship or ports so everywhere outside the cabin she uses a chair. Also has terrible balance and falls frequently. We tried an accessible cabin this last time and it was a world of difference. Not the least of which she could get in chair and just roll out the door - which had an automatic opener so she could come as go as she pleased.

The bathroom was also a huge difference because the shower had a flip down seat that she could use and a hand held shower head. Also plenty of grab bars around the toilet. We had worried about the typical too high toilet situation found in many handicap hotel room but height was no worse than regular cabins (still too high).

I agree with the statement that if you need to be using a wheelchair then you qualify for an accessible cabin. That said, good luck, they book up way too fast. Might be good to have a doctor statement to fax if questioned.

Personally, I would think if you're bringing a wheelchar on board, you qualify for an accessible room. They are significantly larger than the same category standard room (in order to accomodate the chair).

Also, regarding your other question about luggage, in order to save closet space I completely unpack my suitcases and stow them under the bed.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

The OP may "qualify" for an accessible cabin but if the accessible features of said cabin are not needed, i really hope the OP stays with a standard cabin and leaves the accessible cabins for passengers such as myself that DO require those features.

If the OP is not going to be using the wheelchair in the room and is able bodied, then a standard cabin should work just fine.

If i werent totally wheelchair bound, there is no way I could take an accessible cabin knowing I might have knocked someone out of cruising that needed that particular cabin. Thats just me though :)

We usually book a standard (not handicap) inside cabin and my wife's folding manual wheelchair fits just fine. Often it fits at the foot of the bed, or perhaps between the coffee table and small sofa. In front of the hallway door is not the best because it can block the bathroom door and closet. You could even leave it parked in the hall.

Do put your name on the chair in several places. If you are flying, get some extra airline luggage tags for this.

If needed, you can also get a walker from the ship's doctor for a deposit ($50 I think), fully refundable when you return the walker.

I have fibromyalgia and will be bringing a fold up wheelchair with me just in case. I will not need it in the room, but if I have a bad day or there is too much walking I will need it outside the room.

I was just speaking to the access dept with royal. They suggested that I get a regular room (balcony, oceanview or interior) and that the wheel chair would fit in the room by the door when folded up.

This confuses me - when I look at any of the room pictures there is not space beside the door. On one side is the closet and the distance to the opposite wall is only the width of the doorway. That doesn't seem that it would not be a hinderance while going in/out of the room.

I would like the opinion of people that have been in the rooms on the adventure of the sea for any of the above class sizes.

Thank you.

Hi, I'm a 23 year Fibromyalgia sufferer, and after 8 cruises, I think I've gotten things down pretty well. I DID rent a wheelchair once, and parked it at the foot of the bed, but it did cause some difficulty getting around the cabin. Booking a handcap cabin is the best problem solver. Although I didn't use the wheelchair, I had peace of mind just having one near. Always book midship nearest elevators. Cruises are the BEST vacations for Fibromyalgia sufferers, because of the fact that our day changes by the hour! Best of luck and enjoy your time away !

Thanks for the advice Casper - I was torn between the two arguments on the forum here.

I have never cruised before and have some dear friends that cruise all the time and will be going with us.

It will be our 30th wedding anniversary in 2013 - Yes I said 2013. It will take us that long to save for it. I am not able to work and do not qualify for any financial aid. My wonderful husband is holding down two jobs and we have two children in University who are more or less paying their own way.

This is a dream cruise for us and probably a one shot deal so we want to get it right!

Thanks for the advice Casper - I was torn between the two arguments on the forum here.

I REALLY hope you dont think I was trying to argue :o If you really feel you need the handicap accessible cabin then by ALL means book one!

I just hate to see someone knocked out of cruising because one of the very few accessible cabins on the ship is taken by someone that really didnt need it but just needed a little more room is all. I am not saying that is the case here at all. If you can benefit from the features of a HA cabin though, please book one. :)

Enjoy your cruise! Fibromyalgia is rough......I have watched my mom suffer for 15 years now and she is my main cruising buddy so I do understand where you are coming from a little :)

Thank you.

On Js or above you can roll it in with plenty of room, We had an E1 and although I couldn't roll in room I did find room to place it. We have always had a JS and after the E1 deal we will never sail anything less than JS unless they have a HC room... Vacations are meant to relax, I sure wish they would control the true HC people and make a Dr sign waiver so you can book a HC room. For those of the many that book it for space be ashamed of your selfs, there are needy people that sail too!!!!!!!

You can be assured that we will make a decision on room choice based on what everyone else's needs are. Hmmm I don't think that makes any sense now does it?

With fibromyalgia you have to be prepared at all times for a flare up. Somedays when my back is bad I can barely sit to use the toilet - its more like a fall. With limited movement in my right arm at times a hand held shower nozzle would be very beneficial. If there is alot of walking several days in a row - for sure I will need to use the chair.

Can I say that these things will happen for sure? No, they just show up when they please. I would be stupid paying so much money and not be prepared for the worse.

So IMO after paying all that money and knowing what the "worst" it can get for me is - I think it would be prudent to be prepared. Especially when I have never cruised and have no idea of the environment and the effects it will have on my fibro.

And in reference to the doctors note - my doctor will have no problem giving me one and thank you for the tip - I will make sure I have one in hand when booking.

Thank you to all who replied to this post - you have helped me to make a better informed decision.

I will make sure I have one in hand when booking.

You will not need a letter from your Dr :) Once you book the room, you will be sent a Special Needs form likely via email that will have you sign your signature saying you need the HA cabin because of a disability. It will also have you check off the specific "needs" that you need in the cabin.

It is real important to get that form back to the Special Needs dept as soon as possible and certainly at least 30 days before your cruise.

If you are having a difficult time w/ RCI access dept, simply have your travel agent call and book you an accessible room. It's that simple.

Then you are not subjected to all the intrusive questions. My son is disabled and we always need to use an accessible cabin if we travel w/ him. My travel agent always handles it and it is never a problem. Things are not as easy if you book direct w/ RCI.

A good option for you might be a promenade inside cabin; less expensive and comes in HC accessible. (or a standard inside for that matter if you are on a budget). We sailed in them and found them acceptable when using a WC.

As far as availability, it's usually the balcony cabins (in my experience) that book up first.

It sounds like you are a good candidate for an accessible room; especially if you are booking a less expensive, smaller room; there really is not much room for a wheelchair. Plus, getting it in and out of the doors is a major hassle.

If you want my TA's info - email me lilackitty at yahoo dot com

Best of luck

Things are not as easy if you book direct w/ RCI.

Well they sure have been for me so far. I dont use a TA and never will. The perks they offer are just not worth me not having full control over my reservation.

I only have three experiences so far but I have never had an issue booking an accessible cabin through RCI directly.

In fact, i have never even had to go through the Special Needs dept to book one. Only through a PVP who goes to Special Needs and has the room released.

No intrusive questions or anything. I just make sure i get them my Special Needs form back ASAP though.

Well they sure have been for me so far. I dont use a TA and never will.

I only have two experiences so far but I have never had an issue booking an accessible cabin through RCI directly.

In fact, i have never even had to go through the Special Needs dept to book one. Only through a PVP who goes to Special Needs and has the room released.

No intrusive questions or anything. I just make sure i get them my Special Needs form back ASAP though.

They may have improved since my experience - years ago got the runaround. Been booking w/ same TA ever since and *knock on wood* we've been good.

I respect everyone's choice to book w/ or w/out a TA. There are good ones and bad ones, I just got really lucky. :p

I just returned from a Voyager cruise. My daughter has fibromyalgia and she did quite well. She carries with her a thick foam cover for the bed. If you don't have one, you can ask your cabin attendant to get you an egg crate in case your bed is not comfortable. She took a heating pad and they held that and her clothes steamer. If she would have carried the heating pad on instead of in her luggage, she probably would have had it to use. I guess they were afraid of causing a fire. They returned those items the day before departure. Because of the ship movement and the dark cool room, we slept great. Don't take any water as they poured out the water we had in our thermos. Maybe bottled water is ok! The Evian bottled water they have on the ship runs around $4.00 per bottle. It's good that you are looking into things early. Have fun!

Archived