Credit Card Holds HAL

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1327906

Planning ahead for Oosterdam :), I was surprised to read this thread on HAL re credit card holds.

Has anyone experience of this credit card hold with HAL at the rate of $60US pppd for up to 25 days? This would be $3,000 USD for a couple for 25 days. Note it says the bank may not release this hold for 30 days! What about the rest of your travels, after the cruise?

We had a small hold on MSC, from memory, but $3,000US! After all, you have already paid for your cruise in advance.

This would be a deal breaker for me and it is not because I can't afford it!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1327906

Planning ahead for Oosterdam :), I was surprised to read this thread on HAL re credit card holds.

Has anyone experience of this credit card hold with HAL at the rate of $60US pppd for up to 25 days? This would be $3,000 USD for a couple for 25 days. Note it says the bank may not release this hold for 30 days! What about the rest of your travels, after the cruise?

We had a small hold on MSC, from memory, but $3,000US! After all, you have already paid for your cruise in advance.

This would be a deal breaker for me and it is not because I can't afford it!

Dont panic.

They do not charge your card.

They are just asking your bank that if you run up that much ..

Will it be met?

A phone call to your bank before you sail is all that is needed and they will look after you.

All that will be charged to your card is what you choose to spend on board.

All the cruise lines do it.

Princess do a nightly run on all accounts to make sure that what you have charged each day will be met.

We found that out the hard way , where on one day we had not spent anything,and they asked the bank if they would meet the $10 service charge for that day. The bank ignored such a petty request and Princess cancelled our cruise card.

That led to a big sort out and ended up with Princess apologising to us.

You may recall I posted re the letter the front desk sent us,

where it said they apologised for any incontinence it had caused us...

they could not even spell inconvenience.:eek:

Yes they do put that hold on your credit card, even with children, which I thought was a bit rude. For 14 days they were going to hold $3360 for our family. They do tie up that amount of money on your credit card, even though you haven't spent it. And that is correct that it can take upto 30 days for them to release your funds back onto your card. You don't actually get charged, but it is a hold they put on your card.

The way we got around it was to take US dollars and pay this at the front desk. I just kept topping up our room account with cash.

This is not the full story regarding "holds" (which are more properly called "authorisations"). I checked this out with my bank before we went away for 4 months and got quite a shock.

This is the way my bank (ANZ) credit card works.

When I buy something (say $200 groceries at Woolies), it goes through the CC machine and I think that I have been charged that amount immediately . Not so - if you rush home and look at the balance of your CC account on the Internet , you will see that it shows that you owe nothing - but that your credit limit has been reduced by $200. The shop must present this transaction (usually later in the day) for it to finally find it's way onto your CC account as an amount owed by you. IF - for some reason, the store does not present for payment - then your account continues to show zero owing , but credit limit has been reduced.

So - if your CC has a credit limit of say $5000 - and the cruiseline asks for an "authorisation" of $4999, then they will get that authorisation and you will now have a credit limit of $1 left to spend. If they then present for payment only a small amount (after all you are not a big drinker and didn't spend much money on your cruise - lets say only $500) , the cruiseline will present for payment of that $500 - BUT there will still be an authorisation of $4499 outstanding for which they have not presented for payment. Hence your CC acount will now show that you have an amount of $500 to pay -- BUT you will still have only $1 left in available credit. My bank keeps these unpresented authorisations active for 12 months!!!! Hence for 12 months my available credit on my CC would only be $501 ( after I have paid the $500) bill.

Be careful

Barry

This is not the full story regarding "holds" (which are more properly called "authorisations"). I checked this out with my bank before we went away for 4 months and got quite a shock.

This is the way my bank (ANZ) credit card works.

When I buy something (say $200 groceries at Woolies), it goes through the CC machine and I think that I have been charged that amount immediately . Not so - if you rush home and look at the balance of your CC account on the Internet , you will see that it shows that you owe nothing - but that your credit limit has been reduced by $200. The shop must present this transaction (usually later in the day) for it to finally find it's way onto your CC account as an amount owed by you. IF - for some reason, the store does not present for payment - then your account continues to show zero owing , but credit limit has been reduced.

So - if your CC has a credit limit of say $5000 - and the cruiseline asks for an "authorisation" of $4999, then they will get that authorisation and you will now have a credit limit of $1 left to spend. If they then present for payment only a small amount (after all you are not a big drinker and didn't spend much money on your cruise - lets say only $500) , the cruiseline will present for payment of that $500 - BUT there will still be an authorisation of $4499 outstanding for which they have not presented for payment. Hence your CC acount will now show that you have an amount of $500 to pay -- BUT you will still have only $1 left in available credit. My bank keeps these unpresented authorisations active for 12 months!!!! Hence for 12 months my available credit on my CC would only be $501 ( after I have paid the $500) bill.

Be careful

Barry

You are right, but from what I found out about HAL it takes them about 30 days to release that hold. Very annoying.:eek:

For the time you were away, you would have needed a very big credit limit on your card if you were wanting to use it.

On this occasion - we finished up taking a LOT of cash, in cash and on prepaid cashcards. This was because we had no way of paying off our CC bill each month. Our bank didn't tell us anything about "releasing" any holds. They said that if the company didn't present for full payment of the authorisation, it held them for up to 12 months, thus limiting the credit available for that period..

Barry

All the cruise lines do it.

There is a difference between the way HAL do it, and others do it though.

As you say, Princess does it for that day's spending, as do others. The distinction with HAL is they do it in advance for a high amount per day, and for all cruisers as well. As mentioned, for a group of 4 that means 4 times as much. And even if you won't spend anywhere near that amount, they still reserve that amount upfront.

The way other lines do it is normally not (or less of) a hassle - I've seen amounts that exceed people's credit limits requested by HAL. And even though they're not going to spend anywhere near that, they have issues because HAL provides that you will.

On this occasion - we finished up taking a LOT of cash, in cash and on prepaid cashcards. This was because we had no way of paying off our CC bill each month. Our bank didn't tell us anything about "releasing" any holds. They said that if the company didn't present for full payment of the authorisation, it held them for up to 12 months, thus limiting the credit available for that period..

Barry

Just goes to show that you need to carry different forms of money. It must have been a nightmare for yourselves to try and sort out.

There is a difference between the way HAL do it, and others do it though.

As you say, Princess does it for that day's spending, as do others. The distinction with HAL is they do it in advance for a high amount per day, and for all cruisers as well. As mentioned, for a group of 4 that means 4 times as much. And even if you won't spend anywhere near that amount, they still reserve that amount upfront.

HAL wanted $60 USD per day even for our children. I couldn't imagine our children spending that money per day, given that they couldn't charge their card (we had the cards stopped as a charge card), and I wouldn't imagine that they would be lining up at the bar for a few drinks. HAL don't think their policies through when it comes to children.:confused:

if you cruise with Hal and you wish to pay by cash how much cash do you need to put down

Can I Use My Credit Card On Board?

Our cashless society is designed to make your life on board as simple as possible. Once you have registered your credit or debit card(s) (Visa®, Mastercard®, American Express®, and Discover®) you will be able to use your onboard account for shipboard purchases. Your credit or debit card number(s) will be securely sent to the ship in preparation for your cruise. Upon embarkation, we will seek an initial authorization on your card(s) for USD $60 per person for each day of your cruise. For cruises longer than 25 days, the hold is USD$30.00 per person, per day. (Please note, this authorization will not be placed against your credit or debit card(s) until the day of sailing.) At the end of your cruise, you will receive a final statement, and your card(s) will be charged only for the actual amount of your purchases. Refunds for purchases of onboard products and services will be credited to your onboard account whether purchased prior to or during your cruise. Please have the credit or debit card(s) you registered with you and available for the duration of the cruise in case our shipboard staff needs additional information.

Please inform your credit or debit card issuer in advance that your card will be used on a Holland America Line ship. This will help prevent delays in obtaining the authorization(s) throughout your cruise. Some banks may keep the authorization in place for up to 30 days. Please contact the credit or debit card issuing bank with questions regarding the length of time such authorizations remain on your account.

If you do not want to use a credit or debit card, the ship will collect a cash deposit from you at time of boarding in the same amount (USD $60/person/day). ***Note - With the cash option, you MUST bring enough cash to cover the $60/person/day account deposit. Failure to do so may forfeit your right to board. Any excess deposit will be refunded to you at the end of the cruise. Traveler's checks may be cashed at the front office to make your deposit. Personal checks are not accepted on board.

When you board the ship, your account will have been activated and you may make purchases immediately by showing your guest identification card and signing a receipt.

if you cruise with Hal and you wish to pay by cash how much cash do you need to put down

Basically enough to cover the tips that are allocated to your account and spending. Each day the tips are added for each person, and if you don't have enough extra cash paid on your account, you won't be able to use your charge card.

Just ANOTHER thing for "young players" to be aware of ! :D I'm not young - but I still get caught out by many things that I wasn't aware of :D

Barry

We all get caught out with many things. The pace of this world is changing so quickly and it is that hard to keep up with everything.

That is what is so good about Cruise Critic, a great source of information.

"If you do not want to use a credit or debit card, the ship will collect a cash deposit from you at time of boarding in the same amount (USD $60/person/day). ***Note - With the cash option, you MUST bring enough cash to cover the $60/person/day account deposit. Failure to do so may forfeit your right to board"

HAL requests $60pppd account deposit (to 25 days/$30pppd over 25 days) and threatens that failure to do so may forfeit your right to board.

David,

I use my credit card with a small limit, $4,000, when I travel overseas, so my loss is limited, in case of fraudulent use.

In HAL's case, with a hold on the card of $3,000, I would only have $1,000 available to spend for up to 30 days after the cruise.

One of the disadvantages of having a credit card that charges no annual fees and no transaction fees on currency conversions is there is no "bank manager", just fees if you go over your limit.

"If you do not want to use a credit or debit card, the ship will collect a cash deposit from you at time of boarding in the same amount (USD $60/person/day). ***Note - With the cash option, you MUST bring enough cash to cover the $60/person/day account deposit. Failure to do so may forfeit your right to board"

HAL requests $60pppd account deposit (to 25 days/$30pppd over 25 days) and threatens that failure to do so may forfeit your right to board.

HAL didn't make us put that much money on the account, and we were not denied boarding. We just kept topping the account up with cash.

HAL didn't make us put that much money on the account, and we were not denied boarding. We just kept topping the account up with cash.

Yes, I noticed that.

Personally, I can't imagine them denying people, without the requested deposit amount, boarding, as it would be a public relations disaster.

But, what upsets people, is having the threat there in the first place.

One of the disadvantages of having a credit card that charges no annual fees and no transaction fees on currency conversions is there is no "bank manager", just fees if you go over your limit.

I don't have a CC like yours Marion, but I'm still charged a fee if I go over my CC limit.

I have to say I'm surprised about the $$ HAL wants to pre-authorise on your cruise, I would expect at least the daily gratuity as a minimum but $60 extra per day per adult is a lot.

We usually cruise on Princess and I have to say that I've never had a problem spending $$ on my CC after disembarkation so I don't know how much they pre-authorise but it is an interesting issue.

David,I use my credit card with a small limit, $4,000, when I travel overseas, so my loss is limited, in case of fraudulent use. In HAL's case, with a hold on the card of $3,000, I would only have $1,000 available to spend for up to 30 days after the cruise.

There should still be no problem.

It can all be sorted out, as we have done, with a free call to the 0800 number of your banks CC, and telling them what is happening.

They will extend your credit limit for the duration of your cruise.

Your bank does not want to embarrass you.

Just phone them on the free line and discuss.

We leave tomorrow to fly to Hawaii, part of our trip is cruising with NCL...their policy if you want to pay in cash is ... $100 US per person per day as a deposit!

They also have the 30 day hold. I have not been able to find out what amount this pre-authorisation will be for.

Archived