What I don't like about the Marina and Riviera

gillianrose

If there was one thing I did not like on the Marina, it would have to be the closeness of the tables/chairs in the Terrace Cafe. I'm considered a small-framed person and I was often challenged getting into/out of the chair I was occupying because the person behind me had his/her chair out so he/she could sit comfortably. Never had this problem on any of the three R ships.

On the Marina, we just learned to go early and sit near the outside aisles. This way, we didn't have to worry about our chair being bumped too much or working our way around tables/chairs that "blocked" our passage. I'm sure we would all complain if there weren't enough tables/chairs for the extra capacity of the ship so O did the best they could.

I missed the sliding hand-held wand in the shower. Luckily, the cabins are warm or we would get cold when turning off the water when shampooing. I know it saves water...

Here's one--I understand that Marina has music piped into the library. IMHO that's a no-no. Libraries need to be quiet. I have truly enjoyed the library on Regatta (its one of my favourite places). I don't think I'm going to enjoy it half as much on the Marina when I do the TA in November. Can someone turnoff the noise?

The 'noise' that I would have liked to have turned off in the library was the slamming of the door leading to the outside....it was far more grating and disturbing than any other sound I heard.

IMHO, the music was very low, peaceful, and added to the calmness of the library...(except when that dang door slammed).

I didn't like it when I got to the library and someone was sitting in 'my' chair...that just wasn't nice...:p

I agree with the difficulty in getting around the chairs in the Terrace Cafe. You almost had to plan your route to get to a table.

The shower wasn't the most pleasant either...I don't like having to turn off the water to lather....but then, that's just me.

Marina is a beautiful ship...I'm still basking in the wonderful memories!!! :D

What do you mean by "having to turn off the water in the shower when lathering". You can't be serious or are you? The showers on the R class ships were small but you didn't have to turn the water off.

It has a rain shower head as well as a sprayer

The sprayer is waist high & not too friendly for rinsing your hair

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2601204450101934561UprZOI

The water can shoot over the glass door if not careful

I turned off the rain shower to shampoo my hair

you can step aside slightly but the showers are smaller than on the R-ships

I kept banging my arm on the grab bar

It is a whole other experience showing on Marina than the R-ships ;)

Lyn

Thanks Lyn. A picture is worth a thousand words. I know what you mean now. I had no showering problems with the R-ships. I can't believe the Marina shower is smaller than the R showers. This should be a shampooing experience. I guess I'll have to shave my legs in the bath tub (lol).

Not nearly as bad as the constant chatter/laughter of many passers-by (often loud) in the "public" corridors of the library.

Sorry to hear about the music (ick!) and chatter from passers-by in the library, which was my favorite public place and my retreat from the world on my Nautica and Regatta cruises. Oh, well, I have no sea days on my upcoming Marina cruise plus I now have a much larger cabin, so I guess I will retreat there!:)

I cannot wait to experience Marina!

Sorry to hear about the music (ick!) and chatter from passers-by in the library, which was my favorite public place and my retreat from the world on my Nautica and Regatta cruises. Oh, well, I have no sea days on my upcoming Marina cruise plus I now have a much larger cabin, so I guess I will retreat there!:)

CintiPam,

Despite all that may be wrong with Marina, she is a great ship and I know you will enjoy her. It helps that you are going with an open mind, without prejudice and with the right attitude.

Bon voyage!

CintiPam,

Despite all that may be wrong with Marina, she is a great ship and I know you will enjoy her. It helps that you are going with an open mind, without prejudice and with the right attitude.

Bon voyage!

We are actually surprised by the negative comments on this thread. We were under the impression that Marina was designed with substantial past passenger input (They invited quite a few to the shipyard to "toy" with different designs and get opinions).

Our question is whether newbuilds (of any line) are usually a step down from the existing fleet (to save cost). For example, Silversea's newbuild Spirit has a narrowish standard cabin (one source of complaint), a one-storeyed (instead of the previous two-storeyed well tiered) theatre, and a main dining room that cannot sit all passengers "in camera" (unlike their previous ships). A poll http://boards.cruisecritic.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=3885 showed half the folks considered it a step down while the other half a side-way development compared to their older ships.

A poll here on this Oceania column http://boards.cruisecritic.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=4597 seems to indicate even worse response to the newbuild Marina with the majority of voters not preferring it!

We were very surprised at the O poll results. Our experience on Marina was excellent, especially since the small ship atmosphere and warmth were evident even with double the size and population. We greatly enjoyed the new specialty restaurants, and loved Barista. The shower issues, library music, table-crowding, etc., seem to be simply constructive criticisms. Marina is a fine ship with an outstanding staff. We are looking forward to her Christmas cruise as well as to our Nautica cruise in 2012 (though I'm sure we'll miss Jacques and Red Ginger.)

If there was one thing I did not like on the Marina, it would have to be the closeness of the tables/chairs in the Terrace Cafe. I'm considered a small-framed person and I was often challenged getting into/out of the chair I was occupying because the person behind me had his/her chair out so he/she could sit comfortably. Never had this problem on any of the three R ships.

On the Marina, we just learned to go early and sit near the outside aisles. This way, we didn't have to worry about our chair being bumped too much or working our way around tables/chairs that "blocked" our passage. I'm sure we would all complain if there weren't enough tables/chairs for the extra capacity of the ship so O did the best they could.

I missed the sliding hand-held wand in the shower. Luckily, the cabins are warm or we would get cold when turning off the water when shampooing. I know it saves water...

We have not followed up on the Marina that much before (in calculations that is). Now that you mentioned, we took a cursory look at the numbers:

The R ships are 30277 gross tonnes with 684 passengers or 44.3 tonnes/passenger (roughly the ballpark for mass market large ships). Now the Marina is 66084 tonnes for 1250 passengers, or 52.9 tonnes/passenger, an increase of only 19.4%

Then look at the standard (majority) balconied cabins, the R ships are 216 sq.ft. while the Marina is 282 sq.ft., an increase of 30.6%. Moreover, the proportion of larger cabins (suites) on Marina is higher than on R ships (including the addition of a new class of many Oceania suites). This means the various cabins take up an even larger (and disproportionate) fraction of space on the Marina, leaving substantially reduced per passenger public space (which was tight on the R ships to start with). That is one reason why the tables have to be squeezed in close together. (On Silversea ships, a row of two tops will have "gaps" of 1.5 to 2 ft., on R ships, it used to be 8 inches, so imagine for the Marina).

As for the shower, it is not practical for a 282 sq.ft. standard cabin to have both tub and shower. We mentioned in an earlier posting on this board that Silversea's Cloud/Wind at 295 sq.ft. have only a combo tub-shower, and only the Shadow/Whisper at 345 sq.ft. can properly have both. In that thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1355895&page=4 posting #78, we suggested having two types of standard cabins, one type with combo tub-shower while the other a good sized rain forest shower. Oceania's mistake lies in trying to get in too many features without allowing for adequate space (want more passengers per space to increase revenue).

It is natural for cruise ship designers, as wanted by cruise lines, to increase passengers/revenue to the maximum possible, while trying to look generous. This game can only go so far, after which "squaring the circle" becomes an obvious problem. People usually try to squeeze the most betting on succeeding, but as the margin of tolerance is reduced, sooner or later, something has to give!

P.S. the tonne is a measure of volume (100 cu.ft.), not weight.

Both the Marina and Silver Spirit skimp on public space to make room for more passengers, they are both constructed at the Fincantieri shipyard. We don't know whether their similarities in trend comes from the shipyard architect. We prefer Yran & Storbraaten, marine architects of Oslo, who designed all four earlier Silversea ships plus many others.

P.S. the tonne is a measure of volume (100 cu.ft.), not weight.

Both the Marina and Silver Spirit skimp on public space to make room for more passengers, they are both constructed at the Fincantieri shipyard. We don't know whether their similarities in trend comes from the shipyard architect. We prefer Yran & Storbraaten, marine architects of Oslo, who designed all four earlier Silversea ships plus many others.

I'm afraid I must beg to differ that Marina skimps on public space to make room for more passengers. HAving sailed on the Inaugural Passage, i can tell you that there is more public space on Marina than on the R ships. Yes, there is a problem with crowding of tables in Terraces and on the back deck, but not from a lack of space but rather from a furniture scale perspective. The tables and chairs in these 2 areas are just a little too large for the space especially when one is trying to accommodate as many passengers as possible.

There is definitely more seating spaces through out the ship. The Grand Bar area while yes it is a walkway has numerous living room type seating areas and the pool deck has 3 rows of loungers on each side on the main deck and another row on the upper deck. There are numerous little areas with plenty of seating both inside and outside.

We are actually surprised by the negative comments on this thread. We were under the impression that Marina was designed with substantial past passenger input (They invited quite a few to the shipyard to "toy" with different designs and get opinions).

Our question is whether newbuilds (of any line) are usually a step down from the existing fleet (to save cost). For example, Silversea's newbuild Spirit has a narrowish standard cabin (one source of complaint), a one-storeyed (instead of the previous two-storeyed well tiered) theatre, and a main dining room that cannot sit all passengers "in camera" (unlike their previous ships). A poll http://boards.cruisecritic.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=3885 showed half the folks considered it a step down while the other half a side-way development compared to their older ships.

A poll here on this Oceania column http://boards.cruisecritic.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=4597 seems to indicate even worse response to the newbuild Marina with the majority of voters not preferring it!

This poll you are referring to is not very accurate as there are people voicing their opinion without having set foot on Marina. I don't know how one can make a comparison without having experienced both the Marina and the R ships. I know what the "rules" are for expressing an opinion, but when you look at the poll results you will see the names of individuals who have voted who you know have not experienced both types of ships and are making up their minds based purely on size or some other preconceived notion.

CAG: You seem to miss the point.

First, the poll cited specifically asked only those who have been on both the R ships and the Marina to vote. We have to trust (no alternative) that the voters are honest. We didn't vote, saying that because we had not been on the Marina.

Second, the Marina surely has more (total) public space than the R ships, but since it has double the passengers, it has less per passenger public space. Space is space, and if you increase the overall per passenger space by 19%, while you increase the per passenger cabin space by 30%, the remaining space has to come from somewhere, namely the per passenger public space.

Just to note we have been on Marina & the small ships

The Marina does have a lot more public space but some areas that are not really well laid out.

The Library is not a dedicated room like on the small ships but sort of little spaces off the hallway leading to Barristas & the aft elevators

A little distracting for those trying to read there

I found it a bit of a chore in some spots to access the books with the reading chairs in the way. The lighting is some of the bookshelves is not very good

There does not seem to be anyone re shelving the books they just get piled up on the table or stuffed into the open corners of the shelves with the art works

Maybe for the Riviera they could extend the Library & the computer room across the width of the ship instead of lengthwise making 2 rooms

A simple change

Yes the Grand Bar hallway does have some lovely seating options

The Sanctuary is not so peaceful as the name implies. The door bangs every few minutes with the traffic flow.

Maybe one of those automatic doors they have on some of the other spots (deck 15 near Horizons) would work better there.

Hopefully these can be resolved with little planning

Just my personal observations & opinions

Lyn

Just to note we have been on Marina & the small ships

The Marina does have a lot more public space but some areas that are not really well laid out.

The Library is not a dedicated room like on the small ships but sort of little spaces off the hallway leading to Barristas & the aft elevators

A little distracting for those trying to read there

I found it a bit of a chore in some spots to access the books with the reading chairs in the way. The lighting is some of the bookshelves is not very good

There does not seem to be anyone re shelving the books they just get piled up on the table or stuffed into the open corners of the shelves with the art works

Maybe for the Riviera they could extend the Library & the computer room across the width of the ship instead of lengthwise making 2 rooms

A simple change

Yes the Grand Bar hallway does have some lovely seating options

The Sanctuary is not so peaceful as the name implies. The door bangs every few minutes with the traffic flow.

Maybe one of those automatic doors they have on some of the other spots (deck 15 near Horizons) would work better there.

Hopefully these can be resolved with little planning

Just my personal observations & opinions

Lyn

You are right about the Sanctuary Lyn, we loved reading there but that door drove us crazy, a perfect place for auto door. Agree about the Library too.

Glad you all could enjoy the Sanctuary. During the MV the wind was whipping through that area, and I never saw anyone sitting there, so the door noise problem was never realized. Operable windows for the upper portion of those windows would solve the problem. Glad I don't have to replace those poor, wind beaten palms!

CAG: You seem to miss the point.

First, the poll cited specifically asked only those who have been on both the R ships and the Marina to vote. We have to trust (no alternative) that the voters are honest. We didn't vote, saying that because we had not been on the Marina.

Second, the Marina surely has more (total) public space than the R ships, but since it has double the passengers, it has less per passenger public space. Space is space, and if you increase the overall per passenger space by 19%, while you increase the per passenger cabin space by 30%, the remaining space has to come from somewhere, namely the per passenger public space.

Meow,

while the numbers themselves are interesting, you have to actually be in the spaces to see that there is more than enough room onboard. The public areas are quite spacious from my experience and never seemed crowded.

In fact, at some times, in some spaces, it seemed as though there was too much space. Maybe its more about intelligent design than just basic numbers. And the architects were indeed the same ones that did the Silversea and Seabourn ships - Y&S from Oslo.

Glad you all could enjoy the Sanctuary. During the MV the wind was whipping through that area, and I never saw anyone sitting there, so the door noise problem was never realized. Operable windows for the upper portion of those windows would solve the problem. Glad I don't have to replace those poor, wind beaten palms!

I had the same experience, the wind was always whipping through the space. Oddly, the Patio on the opposite side never seemed as windy.

One of the staff said they were going to redesign the windows on the Riviera and re-work the ones on Marina to alleviate this. Hopefully it works.

Meow,

while the numbers themselves are interesting, you have to actually be in the spaces to see that there is more than enough room onboard. The public areas are quite spacious from my experience and never seemed crowded.

In fact, at some times, in some spaces, it seemed as though there was too much space. Maybe its more about intelligent design than just basic numbers. And the architects were indeed the same ones that did the Silversea and Seabourn ships - Y&S from Oslo.

You may well have a point, but we were replying to statements from previous posters who presumably had been on the Marina and expressing their opinion. We have not been on the Marina (and don't have the money to try in the foreseeable future), so we have to go by what we read on this board.

There are a lot of circumstances that we aren't aware of that can color one's perception. For example, the maiden voyage of the Marina seemed to have a lot of uncrowded public spaces (except for the Terrace Cafe). But, we don't know how many guests were on that voyage. Yes, we have all heard that it was sold out. But we really don't know how many cabins were not occupied by guests. By this I mean there were a number of cabins that were taken by workers who were on the ship finishing this and that. There were some staterooms that were not finished and therefore not habitable. Since there was nobody on our cabin crawl who could furnish an inside or oceanview cabin to view (although many people said they were originally in those categories on a guarantee basis, it seems that they were all upgraded into other categories), one would assume that these were among the cabins being occupied by ship-finishing workers. We were in a B1 veranda cabin and a couple cabins down from us were workers. One couple was at the reception desk, upon embarking, calmly telling them that when they entered their veranda cabin, they ran into a "very important pastry chef" who was at home in the cabin that they had just been assigned.

I would say that well over 50 cabins were not occupied by guests. Does anyone have a more accurate number? And whether the people represented by these unoccupied cabins made the public spaces seem more spacious is questionable. But IMHO, the Marina's public spaces really did seem expansive, especially on deck 6 (where on some days, they even served tea at 4 pm!!!).

Archived