Sailing tomorrow...no credit cards

martyap

We are in San Juan and leave tomorrow on the Millie.....thought I lost my wallet at the hotel In san juan so I called the two credit card companies and stopped both cards.....found the wallet an hour later but it was too late to reverse my action

Cruise and tips have been paid in full and we have a nice onboard credit.....used my ATM card today to get plenty of extra cash if needed when we check in tomorrow.

What should I expect...I called X today and they were not completely sure....rep said they might take $500 cash to put into my account towards any onboard charges.......honestly.....we probably will not even go past our $315 OBC.

Any advice would be appreciated.......thanks

Because this sort of thing can happen my DH and I each have a different credit card with us. That way if a wallet or purse is lost or stolen we have a credit card that can still be used. Glad you found your wallet and that you had your ATM card with you. That's one we usually leave at home.

Mary Lou

We typically specify our onboard account as a cash payment one and are normally allowed to charge up to $500 before a cash payment is required. On our last two X cruises we didn't even use up the large OBC we got from our TA so we didn't have to put any cash down since we never had a negative or owing balance. We plan to do the same for our next cruise that we sail on next week as we have both a X Passage OBC and one from our TA.

We are in San Juan and leave tomorrow on the Millie.....thought I lost my wallet at the hotel In san juan so I called the two credit card companies and stopped both cards.....found the wallet an hour later but it was too late to reverse my action

Cruise and tips have been paid in full and we have a nice onboard credit.....used my ATM card today to get plenty of extra cash if needed when we check in tomorrow.

What should I expect...I called X today and they were not completely sure....rep said they might take $500 cash to put into my account towards any onboard charges.......honestly.....we probably will not even go past our $315 OBC.

Any advice would be appreciated.......thanks

Just use your atm card for your onboard account . We do it all the time.

A bit off topic, but related and maybe will help someone reading this thread.

You learn a lot when you've been pick-pocketed, which is what happened to me when I was in Lisbon, Portugal. What I do now...

1) Never carry my passport with me. I have copies of it which I carry and I leave the passport in a very safe place. This is usually in a safe in the hotel but could be elsewhere. This advise was from the Lisbon police.

2) Have a 2nd credit card account with a different account number. I also have a different ATM card for a different bank. These backups stay with my passport in that safe place.

When I was pick-pocketed in Lisbon, fortunately we were staying with relatives who were able to lend us money to cover the rest of our trip. If that hadn't happened I have no idea of what we would have done.

Enjoy your cruise martyap!

You learn a lot when you've been pick-pocketed, which is what happened to me when I was in Lisbon, Portugal. What I do now...

1) Never carry my passport with me. I have copies of it which I carry and I leave the passport in a very safe place. This is usually in a safe in the hotel but could be elsewhere. This advise was from the Lisbon police.

2) Have a 2nd credit card account with a different account number. I also have a different ATM card for a different bank. These backups stay with my passport in that safe place.

When I was pick-pocketed in Lisbon, fortunately we were staying with relatives who were able to lend us money to cover the rest of our trip. If that hadn't happened I have no idea of what we would have done.

It's not really off topic and thank you for posting your experiences as we are headed for Spain and Portugal this fall.

On my recent Celebrity cruise I did not use a credit card for anything establishing my desire to use a Cash Account on the Online Check-in and at embarkation. As others have mentioned I was allowed a $500 limit WITHOUT ever having to fork over a single penny, settling my account in cash on the last night of the cruise, just a tad over $400.

On my recent Celebrity cruise I did not use a credit card for anything establishing my desire to use a Cash Account on the Online Check-in and at embarkation. As others have mentioned I was allowed a $500 limit WITHOUT ever having to fork over a single penny, settling my account in cash on the last night of the cruise, just a tad over $400.

Now why couldn't the two stupid celebrity reps I spoke to yesterday give me these logical and sensible responses......they made me feel that I would require lots of cash at embarkation and scared the crap out of me......we used our ATM to take out more cash than we wanted to carry......maybe X reps should be mandated to read CC boards daily! Thanks everyone

Now why couldn't the two stupid celebrity reps I spoke to yesterday give me these logical and sensible responses......they made me feel that I would require lots of cash at embarkation and scared the crap out of me......we used our ATM to take out more cash than we wanted to carry......maybe X reps should be mandated to read CC boards daily! Thanks everyone

I am booked on a 9-night B2B on the Celebrity MILLENNIUM in December. I called Celebrity Reservations as well as the Captains Club and asked if I would be allowed the same courtesy on this next cruise as I was with the one I just did this past December. I was told that Cash Account passengers were in general allowed this $500 tab limit and if it was exceeded only then would they call you down to put money on it.

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!!!!!

To put it simply, most of the reps have never set foot on a cruise ship, let alone experience ANY of the problems that they are confronted with by cruisers. For that reason I have begun to use a travel agent. I found one who sails on Celebrity ships and can cut through the crappola when that is necessary. Besides that, there is usually an OBC for me; way more than Celebrity is willing to give those who book directly with them (thus saving them a travel agents' commission.)

I am booked on a 9-night B2B on the Celebrity MILLENNIUM in December. I called Celebrity Reservations as well as the Captains Club and asked if I would be allowed the same courtesy on this next cruise as I was with the one I just did this past December. I was told that Cash Account passengers were in general allowed this $500 tab limit and if it was exceeded only then would they call you down to put money on it.

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!!!!!

This has been the way our cash account has been handled on all of our X and RC cruises and we've never had to put cash down, even when we hadn't had OBC, until we've paid off our balance at the end of the cruise.

We also carry an extra credit card as we have had the experience of our main credit card being compromised while we were on our cruise and had a heck of a hassle (our identity was actually stolen in the US, and caught by the credit card company who put a hold on our card). Luckily for us our son had his card with him as well.

Martyap, glad your cards weren't stolen after all and so sorry to hear of your experience. Have been closely following your cruise connections emails and all your great help so hate to see you having issues! Looking forward to meeting you onboard.:)

I cruise X all the time. I always use debit card issued w. checking act. Go over to bank & get one if you do not have one, should be issued immediately. When checking in, just present it. They take imprint just like CC. No need to run around with large amounts of cash.

OK, if Celebrity does not require a down payment of some sort at the time of check in, like most every lines does, how do they stop people from getting off the ship without paying? For me, back in my earlier days of cruising, X always asked for $250 at embarkation, and once you got close to using up that amount, they put a hold on your charges until you put more on account.

OK, if Celebrity does not require a down payment of some sort at the time of check in, like most every lines does, how do they stop people from getting off the ship without paying? For me, back in my earlier days of cruising, X always asked for $250 at embarkation, and once you got close to using up that amount, they put a hold on your charges until you put more on account.

You have to have your cruise card scanned as you disembark the ship and if your onboard account isn't settled, an alarm will sound and ship's security will prevent you from leaving the ship. I've seen it happen.

We are in San Juan and leave tomorrow on the Millie.....thought I lost my wallet at the hotel In san juan so I called the two credit card companies and stopped both cards.....found the wallet an hour later but it was too late to reverse my action.....
Thank you so much for posting this message. It is a good reminder to the rest of us not to keep our credit cards together so that if one is lost or stolen or misplaced or needs to be canceled for any reason, we still have another credit card to use. In fact, I removed one of my credit cards from my wallet right after reading it.

Sorry about your experience and hope your credit card company was able to help you out.

Archived