can you take food OFF the ship?

meab

just wondering - if we want to pack a picnic lunch to take ashore, is this ok? i know there are restrictions on what you can bring on, but wasn't sure if you're free to take food off the ship as well. we are traveling with small children, so we pretty much always need small snacks and water with us!

The only thing you can take ashore is something prepackaged. Most ports have very strict food laws. Snack bars or small cereal boxes are OK. If you need these kinds of snacks you should bring them with you.

Edited by Ma Bell

No bags are checked when getting off the ship in any of the ports, I always bring water and often snacks when getting off if I do not plan to be back on the ship in time for lunch. You need to carry water on these warm Caribbean Islands!

There ARE ports where bags are checked as you leave the ship...I have even seen "Sniffer Dogs" walk among the passengers as they are going off the ship in S. America. There frequently are reminders in the daily program not to take fresh fruit, fresh vegetables off the ship. So it's not accurate to say that bags are never checked. Stick wit prepackaged foods like granola bars and don't take a chance.

And unlike bringing alcohol onboard which is against policy, taking food (except the mentioned prepackaged food and beverages) is against the law of the country that you'll be visiting, and you COULD be fined. Do I know anyone who has been fined? Nope. But why do it? All the ports have places where you could get food to go, so you could have your picnic.

No bags are checked when getting off the ship in any of the ports, I always bring water and often snacks when getting off if I do not plan to be back on the ship in time for lunch. You need to carry water on these warm Caribbean Islands!

There's no problem with water, but I have seen people stopped many times with food. They do often have dogs that sniff peoples bags.

Don't try to take food off the ship in NZ or OZ. The dogs are right there sniffing everyone as they stand in a row for inspection. As others have said it is best only to take bottled water which is often available as you leave the ship.

just wondering - if we want to pack a picnic lunch to take ashore, is this ok? i know there are restrictions on what you can bring on, but wasn't sure if you're free to take food off the ship as well. we are traveling with small children, so we pretty much always need small snacks and water with us!

On a recent Caribbean itinerary there were constant reminders not to take food off the ship or bring food onto the ship. Bottles of water are permitted and so are prepackaged snacks (cookies, pretzels, crackers - brought from home) as stated above. You can fill your own bottles with water or purchase water on the ship. You can bring things like bags of coffee, candy, cakes, and snacks onto the ship but nothing fresh like a sandwich and especially no fruits or vegetables can be taken on or off the ship. The rules were the same in Europe.

thanks for the responses. looks like we'll have to stick to packaged cereal and water. no problem, but i remembered many years back getting sandwiches from room service and taking them ashore with us in the caribbean when we went hiking "off the beaten path".

thanks for the responses. looks like we'll have to stick to packaged cereal and water. no problem, but i remembered many years back getting sandwiches from room service and taking them ashore with us in the caribbean when we went hiking "off the beaten path".

Things have changed. There are foreign invader species that countries are trying to avoid. Just look at all the insects that have come to the US and are now causing havoc in our country. Agricultural laws have really been tightened.

Ok, lets put this in proper perspective. Yes, there are rules and the rules say you are not supposed to take any food off the ship. However, on Caribbean cruises there is nobody that is going to check passengers embarking from a ship (they do use metal detectors and x-ray packages when you come back aboard). So if you want to take food off the ship, just pack it securely where it will not be noticed (such as in a backpack) and you will be fine. As to water, we can asure you they have plenty of water on all the islands and most of the time you will find bottles water ashore is cheaper then what they sell on the ship. Plus if you buy it ashore it will be cold.

Hank

Ok, lets put this in proper perspective. Yes, there are rules and the rules say you are not supposed to take any food off the ship. However, on Caribbean cruises there is nobody that is going to check passengers embarking from a ship (they do use metal detectors and x-ray packages when you come back aboard). So if you want to take food off the ship, just pack it securely where it will not be noticed (such as in a backpack) and you will be fine. As to water, we can asure you they have plenty of water on all the islands and most of the time you will find bottles water ashore is cheaper then what they sell on the ship. Plus if you buy it ashore it will be cold.

Hank

Wow. Horrible advice. Many Caribbean countries have LAWS (not rules) against bringing undeclared fresh foods into their country. In addition to risking harm to the country you are visiting, you are risking being fined and detained by local authorities.

I got held up an hour in Australia because the dogs sniffed my purse. Security almost took my purse apart. There was no food in it but there had been. A friend got fined $300. for taking food and saying he didn't have any when asked.

Hank

Unbelievable

When we were on Eclips March 5th western Caribbean Day 2 in Cozumel they were making people with fruit take it out of their bag, how they knew they had this I have no idea, I just saw a lot of un loading of fruit! We however went to the Tequila Factory on our tour and the bottles were wrapped in bubble wrap and in the Factory bags, big bold letters with their name, it went throught the X-ray and they let us keep it! We thought for sure they would want it back, we got worried so reported it and said no you will get it back last day anyway just keep it!.. Maybe cause it was wrapped?

Rich and Pat

When we were on Eclips March 5th western Caribbean Day 2 in Cozumel they were making people with fruit take it out of their bag, how they knew they had this I have no idea, I just saw a lot of un loading of fruit! We however went to the Tequila Factory on our tour and the bottles were wrapped in bubble wrap and in the Factory bags, big bold letters with their name, it went throught the X-ray and they let us keep it! We thought for sure they would want it back, we got worried so reported it and said no you will get it back last day anyway just keep it!.. Maybe cause it was wrapped?

Rich and Pat

Hi, I rarely ever buy booze but I did purchase a bottle of tequilla

a long time ago on a cruise to the Mexican Riveria. They took it from

me when I re-boarded the ship (I had been a tour). They normally

do check for stuff and normally they do take it. You were the

exception;)

Oh, I did get it back before the end of the cruise:)

Edited by Lois R

Hank

I'll agree with the others that this is REALLY REALLY BAD ADVICE. Break the local laws, price a hefty price. Seriously.

• 1 year later...

Hi - I know this isn't okay when leaving other countries due to produce laws and possible introduction of certain species and diseases. I get it.

However, what about an Alaska specific cruise? Would it be okay to take food off the ship in that situation? We're going to have at least one time where we're going off on our own and I don't think we'll be near any food for the whole time (8-10 hours) we're gone. I'd love to be able to take a sandwich and apple and not have to just have a clif bar for the day.

I'm not familiar with Alaska laws surrounding produce - I would assume it'd be okay since most probably wouldn't survive in that climate?

A quick Google search found this:

The U.S. Dept. of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) requires that travelers entering the United States from a foreign country declare all fruit, vegetables, plants and plant products, meat and meat products, animals, birds and eggs. This includes agricultural products of U.S. origin. Fruits, vegetables, meats, and birds taken out of the United States cannot always be reentered into the country.

You will be coming from Canada so the above would apply.

I wouldn't take anything but sealed, pre-packaged, commercially prepared food. YMMV.

A quick Google search found this:

The U.S. Dept. of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) requires that travelers entering the United States from a foreign country declare all fruit, vegetables, plants and plant products, meat and meat products, animals, birds and eggs. This includes agricultural products of U.S. origin. Fruits, vegetables, meats, and birds taken out of the United States cannot always be reentered into the country.

You will be coming from Canada so the above would apply.

I wouldn't take anything but sealed, pre-packaged, commercially prepared food. YMMV.

Actually, rules going from Canada to the US (and from US to Mexico) are different. Lots of food can go from Canada to the US, though some fruit has an issue (more so with Mexico than Canada). It's definitely different when you share a land border than with island countries or countries on other continents.

http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/agri_prod_inus.xml

I'm aware of regular rules via car between the US and Canada, but wasn't sure of rules from ship to shore.