Marina vs R ships

Paulchili

Marina vs R ships  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Marina vs R ships

I have to agree with you there ...those chairs are very heavy :eek:

Lyn

...and they are not the only heavy chairs on the ship. In fact, the majority of the chairs in common areas are very large and heavy (but very stylish).

...and they are not the only heavy chairs on the ship. In fact, the majority of the chairs in common areas are very large and heavy (but very stylish).

I agree..

I thought of that afterward

True, Paul, but at least when I was in Horizons, the stewards were very helpful about moving those chairs if a guest wanted to join (or leave) a grouping.

112206.jpg

In fact, I was tardy to tea one day and they dragged one the entire breadth of the ship so that I could sit with the Cruise Critics. :D

True, Paul, but at least when I was in Horizons, the stewards were very helpful about moving those chairs if a guest wanted to join (or leave) a grouping.

112206.jpg

In fact, I was tardy to tea one day and they dragged one the entire breadth of the ship so that I could sit with the Cruise Critics. :D

I should make a point of cruising with you and enjoy all the perks while in your company :D

Extremely uncomfortable. !!!!

It might be what the designers think is chic...

but the seating leaves much to be desired...

I found the oversized chairs in the reception area equally uncomfortable (but they look great!). They made me think of Lilly Tomlin's character - Edith Ann.

In fact, I noticed that the wait staff from Red Ginger routinely "borrowed" the pillows from those chairs to accommodate the diners in Red Ginger (who obviously seemed uncomfortable without them) :D, making those remaining chairs in the reception area even less user friendly. Maybe they just don't want you to "loiter" there :)

Funny you should mention Edith Ann!! One night in Martini's, I am so short that I was terribly uncomfortable sitting on the couch (the pillows were missing but later on, I heard that they were picked up in Miami). I sat myself all the way back with my legs straight out and mentioned that I was playing Edith Ann! Guess more than just I thought of that character in conjunction with the furnishings that were so deep. It all looked beautiful and I bet it was much better after the pillows were put on the backs of the couches.

Bobi

Funny you should mention Edith Ann!! One night in Martini's, I am so short that I was terribly uncomfortable sitting on the couch (the pillows were missing but later on, I heard that they were picked up in Miami). I sat myself all the way back with my legs straight out and mentioned that I was playing Edith Ann! Guess more than just I thought of that character in conjunction with the furnishings that were so deep. It all looked beautiful and I bet it was much better after the pillows were put on the backs of the couches.

Bobi

Unfortunately, the couches were still uncomfortable after the cushions were put back on. The couches throughout the ship are extremely uncomfortable but nothing is as bad as the seats in the lounge. Reminds me of the seats in college were you are taking a intro course with 200 other students.

but nothing is as bad as the seats in the lounge. Reminds me of the seats in college were you are taking a intro course with 200 other students.

Make that a low budget community college :D

They are really uncomfortable - worse than airplane economy seats with no elbow room (at least there is legroom).

Make that a low budget community college :D

They are really uncomfortable - worse than airplane economy seats with no elbow room (at least there is legroom).

Seems that the powers that be went for looks and not comfort. This is the problem of so many designers.;)

One cannot accurately call the Marina Lounge a "lounge" .. It is nothing more than a lecture hall.... extremely poor design.. extremely poor planning...

And yes.. it is extremely uncomfortable...

But then again.. it does fit in with the "new mainstream" look and feel of Marina....

But then again.. it does fit in with the "new mainstream" look and feel of Marina....

So are you saying that the Marina is "mainstream" or meaning "mass market"?

Would it fit better (for theoretical discussion at this point, though never say never) for Silversea to sell its 540 passenger Spirit to Oceania (it will be more luxurious than the R ships overall, and with fewer passengers), and for Oceania to sell the 1,200 passengers Marina to say Holland America (should be an improvement over the Prinsendam)?

edited-

and for Oceania to sell the 1,200 passengers Marina to say Holland America?

meow,

As you know, I like and respect your different point of view.

Now, however, I fear for your safety - a statement like that on this board may get you tarred and feathered (or worse) :eek:

What I am saying (in my humble opinion.....) is that after sailing on the much anticipated Marina, I feel (and felt) that she no longer has the feeling of the "R" class ships... Her look and feel are much more "mainstream".. if I did not see the Oceania logos, I could have been on one of the new Celebrity ships... that was the look and feeling that I got...

Marina does not have the intimacy that the smaller ships have.. there are many, many spaces on Marina that have a very cold feeling.... i.e. the entrance to the Grand Dining Room... (It looks as though the designers didn't know what to do with the entry, so they opeted to just do nothing.....)

I was quite underwhelmed with the design and feeling of Marina....

I apologize for referring to the main theater as a lounge. Having recently gotten off the Regatta that word was in my head for the equivalent space. And how much nicer the lounge on the R ships is than that travesty on the Marina. That and the GDR are the two failings in design on the Marina imo. Otherwise I found the ship beautiful and worked for me. I would sail on her again just for Jacques and Red Ginger, not to mention the PH suite which is spectacular.

I apologize for referring to the main theater as a lounge. Having recently gotten off the Regatta that word was in my head for the equivalent space. And how much nicer the lounge on the R ships is than that travesty on the Marina. That and the GDR are the two failings in design on the Marina imo. Otherwise I found the ship beautiful and worked for me. I would sail on her again just for Jacques and Red Ginger, not to mention the PH suite which is spectacular.

Wripro, other than the seats being a bit short in length, what do you mean by stating that the Marina Lounge is a travesty? I never have sailed on any other line, so I have no comparisons and I ask this question with all sincerity.

CintiPam,

It is a travesty because it is not a lounge, it is more like a high school auditorium. It even has little desks you pull out from under the railing to put your drink on. It has no design and no character and the seats are completely uncomfortable. This was obviously a venue that was created in order to seat as many of the 1250 passengers as possible without regard to ambience. It wouldn't be so flagrant of the rest of the ship weren't so beautiful.

CintiPam,

It is a travesty because it is not a lounge, it is more like a high school auditorium. It even has little desks you pull out from under the railing to put your drink on. It has no design and no character and the seats are completely uncomfortable. This was obviously a venue that was created in order to seat as many of the 1250 passengers as possible without regard to ambience. It wouldn't be so flagrant of the rest of the ship weren't so beautiful.

I have to mostly agree with this sentiment.

Aside from the fact that it is unsuitable for Trivia (by all accounts a very popular activity), its sight lines are not good for shows either; the uncomfortable seats were mentioned already, especially the lack of "elbow room" (the seats are too narrow and too close together). I much prefer the lounges on the R ships for seating, though the stage is too small for any sizeable productions.

About the only good thing is the adequate leg room - hardly enough to make it a success (again, in comparison to the rest of the ship, it's severely lacking).

CintiPam,

Winpro, as much as I loved the Marina, I have to agree with you about the lounge. It does have the feel of an auditorium. :( We did enjoy the dancers and singers though.:)

I have to mostly agree with this sentiment.

Aside from the fact that it is unsuitable for Trivia (by all accounts a very popular activity), its sight lines are not good for shows either; the uncomfortable seats were mentioned already, especially the lack of "elbow room" (the seats are too narrow and too close together). I much prefer the lounges on the R ships for seating, though the stage is too small for any sizeable productions.

About the only good thing is the adequate leg room - hardly enough to make it a success (again, in comparison to the rest of the ship, it's severely lacking).

Interesting to see your thread continues to create debate, Paul! We sailed with you on the Colonial Crossing and booked a future Regatta cruise - just to check an R again and be sure that our vote would be in the right box. However, having had now several months without a single water melon and duck starter (ooh - just saying it...) we have felt obligated to book another Marina cruise in September as well.

I do hope you appreciate the trouble people will go to to make sure their vote is thoroughly thought through....! (this time we cannot stretch to a PH3 with an extended balcony and have a gty C grade - which we rather hope might just morph into a B something or other....)

By the way - we were entirely happy with the Marina lounge - for lecture and shows (albeit the latter often being very full and causing us to sit right at the back)

best wishes to you and yours!

Interesting to see your thread continues to create debate, Paul! We sailed with you on the Colonial Crossing and booked a future Regatta cruise - just to check an R again and be sure that our vote would be in the right box. However, having had now several months without a single water melon and duck starter (ooh - just saying it...) we have felt obligated to book another Marina cruise in September as well.

You are forgiven :D;

and yes, I do appreciate the trouble you are going through to check the right box (by booking a cruise after cruise, just to make sure you get it right :)).

I do miss the food on the Marina.

Fair winds and following seas to you both,

Paul

PS We too will sail on the Regatta (in September) and it will be interesting to see how she "feels" after the Marina.

Archived