First Time on Oceania - can anyone explain itinerary on Day 1 w/ arrival time of 6am?

LauraS

• Administrators

This is my FIRST Oceania cruise (Marina on Aug 26th), very excited.

I'm confused about the way the itinerary is presented on my guest statement:

Aug 26 Fri Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy Arrive 6:00am Depart 8:00pm

This is the first time I've seen "day 1" presented with an arrival time. What does that mean exactly?

If departure is 8:00pm, what time do I have to be on board? My plane arrives at FCO at 7:45am.

Laura

This is the first time I've seen "day 1" presented with an arrival time. What does that mean exactly?

If departure is 8:00pm, what time do I have to be on board? My plane arrives at FCO at 7:45am.

Laura

Hi, Laura, I guess that 6 AM is when the Marina cruise before yours arrives in Civitavecchia on disembarkation day. Passengers are asked to disembark by 9 AM at the latest.

When you get your lovely blue personalized booklet about a month before the cruise, it will tell you when you may board. In the past, higher-priced cabins could board at 11 AM and the lower-priced cabins at 3 PM. We usually board around 4 PM to unpack and attend the boat drill around 5 PM or so. We always arrive a couple of days early, and want to fit in as much sightseeing in the embarkation port as possible. Others like to arrive for lunch, which will be available until 4 PM.

Laura

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/westernmediterranean/mna110826/default.aspx

This itinerary doesn't show an arrival time. Only departure at 8PM. You can be on board anytime from 11 am to 6 pm, 11 if you are higher up 1pm or 3 pm if lower down in the ship. Last call around 6pm

Laura

I agree with PAM that is the time the last cruise arrives in port

as long as you are onboard by 6-7pm you should be OK

As others have stated it depends on the cabin CAT what time you can board the ship

Enjoy your cruise

Lyn

By the way, if you have the later boarding time but would like to board earlier, just show up. If the check in process is busy with concierge and suite passengers, you may have to wait a few minutes, but they will usually work you in as soon as there is a lull in the line.

This may not work at every port -- I once saw the port officials in Miami keeping the later-boarding group waiting until closer to the time they were supposed to board. Even so, that group was on board around 2 PM, even though their papers said 3 PM. In Barcelona, we had a 3 PM boarding time and had no problem boarding at Noon, with no line.

I haven't sailed from Rome (yet), but by the time you get out of the airport and get to Civitevecchia, it may be approaching 11 AM or so, and if it were me, I'd go straight to the ship and board. Others, like Pam, might want to take a taxi ride around the port city first and board by 6 PM.

The muster drill is sometimes 5 PM even when sailing is scheduled much later.

By the way, if you have the later boarding time but would like to board earlier, just show up. If the check in process is busy with concierge and suite passengers, you may have to wait a few minutes, but they will usually work you in as soon as there is a lull in the line.

Really? So there's no need to book a higher priced cabin to get onboard and dine early and make all the shore excursion and spa and dining appointments I want without having to resort to paying for an upgraded cabin?

I can cut in line and make those appointments before the higher paying passengers if I'm speedy enough, right?. Wow, makes great sense to do that. Why would anyone ever consider paying for the privilege of access to the ship at earlier hours.

Take that, suite passengers! I am going to save so much money!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...Why would anyone ever consider paying for the privilege of access to the ship at earlier hours...

Probably because that "privilege" is at the bottom of the list when considering a suite, right down among "priority luggage service" when they seem to bring all the luggage within a brief time frame, regardless.

At every place I've embarked, the strict enforcement of the boarding priority depended on the local personnel manning the check-in process. I've been in line next to the "fast lane" for suite people and have been called over to "their" position in order to be checked in expeditiously. If there are no suite guests in line, they aren't going to let a couple of operatives sit on their thumbs while they force us peons to sit and wait...:cool:

• Administrators

So, I consider myself lucky to be in a concierge verandah, but not a suite. Where does that put me?

Thanks,

Laura

So, I consider myself lucky to be in a concierge verandah, but not a suite. Where does that put me?

Thanks,

Laura

Laura-

The short answer is that you are required to be on the ship at least TWO HOURS before the sailing time (otherwise it can interfere with the ship's paperwork and there are some rather stiff penalties). Check the "General Information" pages of your brochures, people!

In Europe, because many passengers are, like you, arriving at the port after a long flight, Oceania does not typically enforce the boarding times, but if you arrive before noon, you may have to wait to board the ship.

After 1PM, you will likely be able to walk right on as soon as you have registered, but you may have to wait in the Terrace Cafe (Oceanias' version of the Lido Restaurant) if the Concierge Rooms have not been made up yet.

As CintiPam pointed out, if you arrive later in the afternoon (say after 3PM) you will likely be able to walk right onto the ship and get right into your room, but the downside of arriving that late is that the lunch service ends at 4PM.

All of this will be confirmed in writing at about 90 days out when you will receive a personalized "blue booklet" which will also contain your pre-printed baggage tags.

Hope this helped! Have a great cruise!

Really? So there's no need to book a higher priced cabin to get onboard and dine early and make all the shore excursion and spa and dining appointments I want without having to resort to paying for an upgraded cabin?

I can cut in line and make those appointments before the higher paying passengers if I'm speedy enough, right?. Wow, makes great sense to do that. Why would anyone ever consider paying for the privilege of access to the ship at earlier hours.

Take that, suite passengers! I am going to save so much money!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are always in an inside cabin. We did get to board early. However, the benefits for the higher levels were in place. They got to go to rooms early. Make reservations early etc. I think for everyone's convenience including the port and the cruiseline, if it makes things flow well, they let you on the ship where you then wait until the time for your level.

It does indeed depend on the pier people. We had 2 concierge cabins booked and one inside where the kids would stay. My TA was told that we could all board together but at the pier the personnel was adamant that ONLY suite/concierge pax could get on, all others waited in what was a long line!

-------------------

Helen

It depends on the port personal

I think

We were on the same cruise as MS UNDERSTOOD boarding in Amsterdam

We had to wait until 3pm to board

Just got on in SFO Feb 26th we were on board at 2:30 pm after standing in line for 1 hr

Sometimes they let you on early sometimes not

We usually go to the port around 2 pm & if we are lucky enough to board early that is a bonus

If you are not in the top suites do not even show up before 1 pm or you may find yourself sitting in the terminal for a long time :D

Lyn

It does indeed depend on the pier people. We had 2 concierge cabins booked and one inside where the kids would stay. My TA was told that we could all board together but at the pier the personnel was adamant that ONLY suite/concierge pax could get on, all others waited in what was a long line!

-------------------

Helen

Yes, part of what is paid for in the Suites is Early Boarding. Why should others be given this perk unless, of course, there is no one waiting to board.

You get what you pay for!;)

Yes, part of what is paid for in the Suites is Early Boarding. Why should others be given this perk unless, of course, there is no one waiting to board.

You get what you pay for!;)

I would agree with you for the most part

But when people are traveling with young teens who are in a regular cabins it is unlikely any parent would leave them in the terminal for 4 hrs while they board the ship early

I think some exceptions can be made for families with children (there are not that many)

Lyn

We sailed from Civitivecchia twice now. The first time we arrived at 1 pm and were able to go directly to our cabin (and it was lower level cabin). The second time we arrived at noon and were allowed to board. We had lunch at were allowed access to the cabin at 1 pm. The time you are allowed to board has to do with the port. In Miami we were held in a holding area until 2 pm. We have only sailed the "R" ships so I do not the drill for the Marina.

I would agree with you for the most part

But when people are traveling with young teens who are in a regular cabins it is unlikely any parent would leave them in the terminal for 4 hrs while they board the ship early

I think some exceptions can be made for families with children (there are not that many)

Lyn

Lyn,

So right. I did not take families with children into consideration since, fortunately, we have not had children on out Oceania cruises.;)

Thanks,

Laura

Hi Laura,

Everyone is giving you very good information but not answering your question re the Concierge Level cabins and boarding time!

According to the brochure and my experience in both the Concierge and PH suite Levels, you are ok to board starting at approximately 11 am. You won't be able to go to your cabin until after the PA announcement (they start with the suites at about 1 pm) after lunch but you can still be on board and enjoy lunch on the Terrace with only your hand-carry luggage to bother with. You also will have priority luggage delivery and get your bags very soon after you get into your cabin.

Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise!!

Billie

The muster drill is sometimes 5 PM even when sailing is scheduled much later.

Actually, I was wondering about this, Don. Our Rome embarkation this Nov sails at 10 PM, and the first port (Livorno) is the very next morning at 8 AM. So unless they're going to have an 11 PM muster drill, it's not going to be after sailing but before the first port! Do they not care if some people are not onboard yet, by the time of the muster?

Now, I can understand why people would like to be on board early, to get settled and take advantage of included meals aboard ship. If we depart from somewhere a bit more common, like Miami, we do the same thing. But in this case, we're in ROME!!! Even though we're flying in several days early, we want to maximize our time in the city. Hmmmm... comparing time in exotic ROME, having a local ristorante dinner, where we only get to visit for a few days per DECADE, vs. spending the same time onboard the same ship we're going to be on for the next 3 weeks?

You bet I'll choose Rome every time, and get to the ship as late as is reasonably wise! :)

Chris, remember that if you are touring Rome, you should allow at least a couple of hours (or more) to get to Civitavecchia before boarding -- you don't want to take a chance that your transportation breaks down on the way to the port, causing you to miss the sailing! Then, take into consideration that when embarking, you must be on the ship at least two hours before sailing -- in this case, 8 PM. They might even have an earlier deadline on the final documents.

Now, factor in that if you arrive at 8 PM on the dot, you won't have much chance to refresh and get to the dining room in time for dinner. You could order room service, I suppose...

Personally, I would plan to arrive at the ship no later than 5 PM, letting me tour in Rome maybe up to 3 PM. Even then I would be nervous about the transportation from Rome; some people who are more nervous than I am deliberately book a night in Civitavecchia to be sure they don't miss the ship.

I haven't sailed from Rome (yet); maybe someone else who has had such a late departure time could give better advice.

When we checked in for the non-Libya cruise in Barcelona (November 2005) we were in a suite. I saw a couple waiting to board that we had met on the train to Girona the day before, so I said, "Come on with us" ... not realizing that they were not suite passengers. They came with us and were able to board -- this was around 11am. So it can happen -- and no, I wasn't trying to encourage someone to break the rules!. I just had not thought about the fact that suite passengers can board earlier. (That wasn't always the case.)

I agree that no parent would want to leave their children in the terminal alone in a foreign city. Maybe that agent (who seems to have been a real stickler) felt that if the children were old enough to stay in a room by themselves, then they could stay in the terminal until it is time for them to board. I'm not a parent, but no child or teenager in my "custody and control" would have been left there alone!

Archived