Floating mall/monster of the seas

anyone else out there fed up when others describe rci ships as a floating mall? or Oasis---the monster of the seas or i don't want to cruise with shrek? so silly my 02 cents

I do notice that people do say these things frequently! I loved Oasis! I don't particularily like the 7 day itinerarys as I find them too short! This class of ships would be perfect for transatlantics as they are self contained resorts! Maybe someday!

After spending 10 nights on Celebrity Century (eak too small!) I look forward to my next cruise on a Voyager class "monster" :D I miss the promenade!

We have sailed the Crown Princess, and, just recently, the Freedom of the Seas; having seen the Promenade, I must admit that I prefer the 3 story atrium. As I recall, the Princess ship had more exterior views, and easier access to outside decks -- you actually felt like you were on a ship, no matter where your location.

I can't understand why a cruise line would go to the trouble of building a high capacity ocean-going vessel, then make every effort to corral its passengers indoors. Most of the time I felt like I was in a huge, slowly-moving apartment block.

I'm not knocking RCI, or its crew, or its offerings -- all were excellent. It's just that, to me, there seems to have been a revolution in cruising -- more glitz, lots of one-upmanship, and less ocean. If cruise lines can attract more business by evolving in that direction, then more power to them. I can't help but wonder, though, how long it will be before they build themselves right out of the market...

You really think they will "build themselves out of the market"? The stategy for the new Oasis class was to carry more passengers and give more options to the passengers which they have accomplished. Look at the bookings, each sailing is nearly full/is full to capacity.

Corraling passengers inside also is a marketing tactic, its where 95% of where extra sales are made.

I do agree that their was a "less ocean" feel on our recent Allure cruise, however I blame ourselves for this. We booked a Boardwalk view & did spend alot of time on the balcony but we would of preferred our normal oceanview balcony, to us that would of added in the ocean alot more.

I for one am glad the RCL has given us so much to choose from in the different classes. We can really tailor our cruising needs now towards individual ships weather it be a romantic cruise, cruising with friends or bringing the adult children and grandchildren along. I am looking forward to seeing what the Sunshine class has to offer, hopefully they will really change this class up & offer more inovative features.

We have sailed the Crown Princess, and, just recently, the Freedom of the Seas; having seen the Promenade, I must admit that I prefer the 3 story atrium. As I recall, the Princess ship had more exterior views, and easier access to outside decks -- you actually felt like you were on a ship, no matter where your location.

I can't understand why a cruise line would go to the trouble of building a high capacity ocean-going vessel, then make every effort to corral its passengers indoors. Most of the time I felt like I was in a huge, slowly-moving apartment block.

I'm not knocking RCI, or its crew, or its offerings -- all were excellent. It's just that, to me, there seems to have been a revolution in cruising -- more glitz, lots of one-upmanship, and less ocean. If cruise lines can attract more business by evolving in that direction, then more power to them. I can't help but wonder, though, how long it will be before they build themselves right out of the market...

I am not sure how you can say that RCI is trying to coral people inside. Yes, the Royal Promenade is an indoor section of the ship. However, Central Park and Boardwalk are outdoors. And the addition of the Aqua Theater provides a whole new array of outdoor entertainment.

Also, the fact is that the weather on a cruise is, unfortunately, not always perfect. The Promenade is a very welcome indoor venue when the weather is uncooperative.

I have no reason to deride those that like the Oasis class. I can see that it is particularly suited to families. As for the Shrek characters, they are absolutely not annoying and you could possibly go all week without seeing one.

Now .. I do think that Oasis has a flaw that is off-putting to some of us. With each generation of ship, RC has tried to make it so you can't believe you are on a ship at sea. That you can climb a wall or go ice skating on a ship is compelling. But at some point, and I think the Oasis reaches that point, they have made the mistake of actually succeeding at losing the reality that you are really on a ship at sea.

But wait .. that's why I go on a cruise. I want to be at sea. I want to constantly be reminded that we are sailing on the open ocean. Once you lose sight of that, you're really just going to an almost all-inclusive resort that has entertainment features, a sports deck, and small rooms. That's not what I want to do on vacation several times a year. I want to be on a cruise.

So I don't criticize those who like Oasis .. go for it. But I'll book our next cruise on the Radiance class.

I do notice that people do say these things frequently! I loved Oasis! I don't particularily like the 7 day itinerarys as I find them too short! This class of ships would be perfect for transatlantics as they are self contained resorts! Maybe someday!

After spending 10 nights on Celebrity Century (eak too small!) I look forward to my next cruise on a Voyager class "monster" :D I miss the promenade!

It would be intersting to see if RCL could sell the one of these big Girls as truly just a destination. Suppose they depart from a centrally located economical port and cruise to nowhere. Save fuel and port charges and just enjoy the ship. What do you think?

I am not sure how you can say that RCI is trying to coral people inside. Yes, the Royal Promenade is an indoor section of the ship. However, Central Park and Boardwalk are outdoors. And the addition of the Aqua Theater provides a whole new array of outdoor entertainment.

Also, the fact is that the weather on a cruise is, unfortunately, not always perfect. The Promenade is a very welcome indoor venue when the weather is uncooperative.

True comment about the weather; I admit, it is nice to have something to do indoors. However, after taking about 15 minutes to tour the shops, the only options are eating and drinking, occupations that would be much more pleasant if one had a view of the passing scenery (even if it is only a vast expanse of ocean).

The FOS had no outdoor eating venues, no opportunity for "al fresco" dining; when cruising, we love to have our breakfast outdoors, something we could only do by taking our plates and running the gauntlet of passengers entering the Windjammer cafe, then past the elevators to the pool deck, where there are a few tables.

At night, the pool deck was like a ghost town; only once was there a poolside evening activity. Everything seemed to revolve around the Promenade. Hence, my comment about keeping folks indoors. The Aqua Theatre and Central Park may be good alternatives. Even so, big is not necessarily always better (but that's only my opinion).

True comment about the weather; I admit, it is nice to have something to do indoors. However, after taking about 15 minutes to tour the shops, the only options are eating and drinking, occupations that would be much more pleasant if one had a view of the passing scenery (even if it is only a vast expanse of ocean).

The FOS had no outdoor eating venues, no opportunity for "al fresco" dining; when cruising, we love to have our breakfast outdoors, something we could only do by taking our plates and running the gauntlet of passengers entering the Windjammer cafe, then past the elevators to the pool deck, where there are a few tables.

That was our feeling as well after our cruise on the Mariner. We loved eating outdoors on our other cruises...that is something we very much missed on the Mariner.

Don't get me wrong...there were plenty of other things to do on the Mariner, and it is a beautiful ship, but we too like to have some connection to the ocean while we are on a cruise, and the promenade (which is pretty much the focal point of the Voyager and Freedom class ships) does not provide that, at least for us.

My favorite area of RCI ships is the Solarium. Oasis Class has the best ocean views of any Solarium in their fleet.

No. Now that I've experienced Oasis for myself, what anyone else thinks doesn't doesn't matter so much any more. My opinions are based on my experiences. I love that monster!

I agree 100%.

People are entitled to their own opinions so I take what others say with a grain of salt. Most that are knocking these ships have never stepped foot on one. As far as the comments about the Dreamworks experience. We spent two weeks on Allure in January. I can count on less than one hand how many times I experienced any Dreamworks characters.

I agree ... they ARE floating malls but what's wrong with that? A lot of people LIKE malls! I really enjoyed the Oasis and seeing all the wonderful offerings on board, but now that I've experienced small ships and luxury cruising, I'm not interested in any vessel over 80,000 tons.

To the OP:

Hit the back button...you will discover threads for no less than 4-5 dozen cruise lines and every imaginable itinerary, ship size, amenity offered (or not!) etc...literally something for everyone! I do hope you find a cruise that suits YOUR needs perfectly there!

I like the Royal Promenade, it a cool place and worthy of the praise it gets. But it does in fact bear a passing resemblance to a mall. Shops/eateries on both sides, big open airy space; I can see why some would say that. What I can't see is why it would be stated as a negative.

I totally agree. I was awe struck when I first boarded Oasis. Sure, it looked mall-like on the RP, but that's a good thing. It's not an insult. To heck with the naysayers. Who wants a bunch of whiners on board anyways? ;)

I get the similarities between a mall and the Royal Promenade; they are large indoor spaces that have venues like shops and restaurants. But the RP isn't a mall. If I want to shop and buy a lot of clothes or electronics, I wouldn't go on a ship.

The Royal Promenade is genius to me. The deck that has no views, the life boats would block any view if there were windows. RCI could pack another 100-200 interior and obstructed view cabins there if they wanted. Their competitors surly would. Instead RCI created a open and airy venue to house shops, cafes, guest services and hold the parades. During inclement weather it is a huge venue that allows the passengers to stay out of the rain and wind. On my February cruise we had a big dance party one night.

I also do not subscribe to the idea that the RP detracts from the cruising experience or somehow makes the ship interior focused. How much time do we actually spend there? I use it mainly to transverse the length of the ship. Without the RP I would be walking down narrow, single story hallways. Unlike many real malls, I do not find the RP claustrophobic. Other ships have shops and a purser’s desk, they just cram them into smaller spaces.

Oasis class ships are so innovative and offer a cruising experience unmatched by any other ship. RCI is a master at crowd flow. I love the neighborhood concept. Until my Allure cruise I was always ready to leave by day 7. On Allure I wanted to stay on board another week. I was still discovering new things up until the morning we left. Allure felt empty compared to my cruise on Explorer, which holds nearly half as many passengers.

I laugh at all the people who criticize Oasis & Allure even though they have never sailed them, especially the ones who think they are superior because they refuse to board them. They can stay on their flat earth society barges and leave Oasis & Allure for those of us that enjoy them.

Ditto!!

My favorite area of RCI ships is the Solarium. Oasis Class has the best ocean views of any Solarium in their fleet.

The Solarium is our favorite spot on these ships. Mr. Chew likes to sit back in the shaded area and I like to sit right in the middle of the front. It's like flying over the water ...

I love Shrek, but only the "real" one ... not some dude in a costume who doesn't speak (that's a little creepy!) The only time we saw him was when he & Fiona came out to give the prizes at the Love & Marriage show ... but it's just not the same when they don't speak.

I did see some dragons one afternoon when I was doing my 5 miles around the jogging track. One end goes around below the Aquatheater and I guess they had to make an exit.

We think that Royal has handsdown the most beautiful ships ... no matter what size!

I think RCCL is suffering from a poor advertising campaign lately. The old "Get Out There" was much more effective at making an RCCL cruise seem fun and exciting. This new "Nation of Why Not" sounds like snobbery, stuffiness, and brings to mind a giant lumbering beast grinding through the ocean.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against RCCL, we just came back from a wonderful cruise on the Jewel of the Seas, (By far our favorite ship of the fleet) I just am totally not impressed by the new ad campaign. They need to come up with something more lively and exciting to promote the cruise line.

As for the big ships suffering from an image problem. I think that is in part true. We sailed on the Mariner and loved it, it was a wonderful ship, well organised. Then later we sailed on the Freedom and they might as well change the name to "Waiting in line of the Seas" or "Overcrowded of the Seas" we had to wait for everything it seemed. That ruined the big ships for us, since we have had fantastic service and experiences on the smaller ships.

Will we ever try the big Oasis class ships? Probably, but only after the price drops. For the price of a 7 night on Oasis we did an 11 night on Jewel with money left over.

I have heard good things about how well they manage the crowd on the Oasis class ships, which is encouraging.

The beauty of cruising is that there is something for everyone! We have been on larger and smaller ships, and last month cruised the Allure and absolutely LOVED it! It is a beautifully designed ship with indoor, outdoor, park-like, mall-like spaces! It never felt crowded, in fact in may areas it felt empty and private! We never saw the characters but if I had lille ones n board, I would have sought them out...something for everyone!:)

Archived