fco to pier is cruise transfer the best?

elaine5

There are many discussions of FCO-Rome FCO-port and Rome-port transfers here, with all sorts of options. The summary- cruise ship transfers are rarely the cheapest and most convienent way to do it. Most here would not fly in the same day as sailing if all possible. Too many chances of issues, and you arrive beat, on the first day of your expensive cruise. Plus Rome is a superb place to visit!

IIRC, the Leonardo goes FCO to Rome, not to the port. FCO-port trains go thru Rome, with change in trains.

Cheapest no, that would be the train, about $15/pp. Fastest, probably not, it depends on the transfer. Frequently you have to wait until enough people show up to fill the bus. Best is hard to say, it depends on you. Really the biggest negative to the train is luggage.

Kirk

Cheapest - maybe train, but you will have to drag your luggage and change trains. I really wouldn't recommend this when you are tired from your trip.

RomeCabs or similar company - reliable company to pre-arrange transport. Fastest as they meet you as you step outside customs, help you with your bags and bring the car to you. Most expensive option.

Cruise Transfer - cheaper than romecabs, but you either have to wait around or hurry. Again, if I am tired an hungry, not the greatest option.

there is a train from airport to ship port,, i think it's called leonardo express? not sure of the name, but it would cost much less..

Not exactly true. The Leonardo Express goes from the FCO airport directly to the Rome Termini Station. From there, it s a long walk to the tracks where the regional train leaves from Termini and goes to Civitavecchia. Once in Civiatavecchia you have to get the 4 blocks from the station to the port entrance (with your luggage) where you can then get a free internal bus from the entrance to your pier. Of course all this takes at least 2 hours (with waiting time for trains). Me thinks it does make more sense to take the ship transfer at that price (cheaper then private transfers) which only takes about an hour.

Hank

Its OK Bruce, I have done worse with conversions :) We very seldom recommend anything run by cruise lines (transfers, tours, etc) because most things done by the ship are overpriced, overcrowded, and always make me feel like I am in a herd of cattle. But the transfer from FCO to "Civ" is one exception. Taking the train is a bit less money, but takes at least twice as long..plus you have to handle your luggage during the train transfer and getting to the port from the "Civ" train station. Without luggage (or with not much luggage) it is easy enough for most folks to roll their luggage from the station to the port (about 4 - 5 blocks) but its still a hassle and not worth the trouble. If you have a larger group (4 or more) it might make more sense to book a private transfer.

Hank

thanks. PPs have confirmed what I thought--only other reasonable option is private transfer. We will take the ship's transfers at $64. We, also, would not usually fly in the day of--but that was the only day we could get FF tickets. But, we got trip insurance with 3 hour missed cruise connection coverage. We get in at 11AM. Ship said latest arrival for transfer was 2:30. We will take carry-on luggage. So, if we are past 2:30, we are outside of 3 hours and insurance will kick in for us to spend the night in Rome, have a nice pasta dinner and train to Livorno to pick up the cruise. Luckily, it's an easy port to get to via land train if we miss the boat.

Archived