Just off the Adventure of the Seas

Just off the Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean out of San Juan. We call it the “Grannies Gone Wild Cruise” since we took our family of five and our two mothers, AKA the Grannies. We were in 3 balcony cabins on deck 7 on the Starboard side. Important note – the ship was always docked with the port side facing the island where we were in port, which was somewhat disappointing to us. We went to Curacao, Aruba, Dominica and St. Thomas. The ports were fabulous and the ship was great! Dominica and St. Thomas we have visited before, however we were newbies to Aruba and Curacao. Picking our favorite port out of this cruise would be impossible! If you have any questions about the ship or the ports, I’m happy to answer them.

In Curacao we booked an excursion to the beach. Great snorkeling and beautiful scenery. The name of the beach was Playa Porto Mari. In Aruba we took a cab to the Amsterdam Manor resort and paid a fee to use their beach and facilities. Both were great choices!

We will be leaving for this route on the 10th of April- How was the menu for the meals in the MDR?

The meals were excellent. Lobster night was superb! We were on the Freedom last year and felt like the food in the MDR was much better on this ship. The service was fantastic too.

In Curacao we booked an excursion to the beach. Great snorkeling and beautiful scenery. The name of the beach was Playa Porto Mari. In Aruba we took a cab to the Amsterdam Manor resort and paid a fee to use their beach and facilities. Both were great choices!

Just an FYI. To save a few bucks you can catch the city bus (just across the street from the pier) for $2.30 per person round trip. Very easy to do.

Just an FYI. To save a few bucks you can catch the city bus (just across the street from the pier) for $2.30 per person round trip. Very easy to do.

We actually took a cab there and then took the bus back. The bus was easy and cheap! Plus it was just a short ride back to the port.

We will be on AOTS for the first time January 2012. Did you go to Portofino's? If so, did you find it worth the cover charge? What was your favorite part of the ship? :)

We did not go to Portofino's, but we did go to Johnny Rockets. Best part of the ship was the back. It actually is all open so you can look out over the wake. Here's a panoramic pic I took of my mom in that area. I can't remember what deck it was on though. 196709_1792529545813_1616885757_1771971_1198297_n.jpg

This ship was very similar to the Freedom of the Seas, which we were on last year. However the Freedom didn't have this area, so it was a nice change. My other favorite would be the Blue Moon Lounge, which is the same as the Olive or Twist Lounge on the Freedom. It overlooks the whole mid and pool area of the ship. It was a great indoor place for sail away.

Keith - we didn't visit either of those - sorry. We did play Trivia and Bingo. Enjoyed both. The ice show was excellent too. Additionally, they had nice big band music one evening in the Promenade. This was good since we had "the grannies" with us. It was very enjoyable for them. I just noticed you were on the Carnival Victory a month before we were in 2009. Did you do the port a day itinerary? We loved it! However, it didn't leave much time to explore the ship!

I don't remember seeing that band name in the Cruise Compass or hearing them play. However, since we had the grannies with us this year, the activities we looked for on the boat were different - didn't do much of the music scene at all.

Same deal on the water slide. We saw it on the day we boarded when we were checking out the ship. Didn't go to that area again after that. From what I could tell it looked decent. The seas weren't rough, but we did feel some good rocking when the captain was operating at full speed ahead to get us to the next port. Nothing major though.

did you see teens onboard?

Yes, however it was Spring Break for us and we were there with our teens. Obviously not all schools are on break at the same time. Our teens felt like there weren't near as many as they've seen on other ships when we've gone in late May/early June. Not enough "action" for them I guess. LOL

Keith - we didn't visit either of those - sorry. We did play Trivia and Bingo. Enjoyed both. The ice show was excellent too. Additionally, they had nice big band music one evening in the Promenade. This was good since we had "the grannies" with us. It was very enjoyable for them. I just noticed you were on the Carnival Victory a month before we were in 2009. Did you do the port a day itinerary? We loved it! However, it didn't leave much time to explore the ship!

It was not the port intensive one. It was actually a short 4 day cruise. The ship was being used as a floating hotel for the Summit of Americas held in Trinidad and Tobago that year so a local travel agency chartered it for a short 4 day cruise.

One other question LilLee... what dining time did you have?

Did you have my time dining? If so...how was it?

Yes, we did My Time Dining. Absolutely loved it! As a matter of fact, this was the best experience we've had in the MDR of all the cruises we've been on. Food and service were both excellent!

Archived