Princess Visa Card - worth it?

Embracedbylife

Charge $20,000 with Princess and get $500 OBC

Charge $20,000 with your current card and get $200.

How are you doing better with your current card?

Sorry I must have used the wrong "then" / "than" in my sentence! LOL. What I meant to say is I'd do better with Princess than I would do with the other card.

If I used the Princess card, I'd get 6,500 points that can be redeemed for a $50 Lotus Spa credit or, should I spend another $1,750 with Princess within 5 years, $100 off my next cruise.

You can also redeem 5000 points for $50 OBC.

You can also redeem 5000 points for $50 OBC.

OK if you say so. Doesn't list that, though, in the rewards brochure I downloaded yesterday, where the minimum redemption level for an OBC is 10,000 points.

OK if you say so. Doesn't list that, though, in the rewards brochure I downloaded yesterday, where the minimum redemption level for an OBC is 10,000 points.

Yes, you can get $50 OBC for 5,000 points - I just did it yesterday. The rewards are listed on the Princess VISA website on the Rewards Redemption page. Maybe the brochure just listed some samples or is out of date?

It is Barclay.us card. I have had it for about a year. I have pristine credit...ie over 800. The interest rate is sky high. When I called to have it lowered they told me they did not have any programs right now that I would fit into to get it lowered. So, I transferred it to a lower card. The most lucrative cards I have for points are United (you can redeem for flights and hotels) but there is a yearly fee (140 I believe) but with that comes a companion ticket free (BOGO) so it sort of evens out. I also have a GM Card so if you ever plan to purchase a new vehichle again and it is a GM or Pontiac vehichle it gives you your best chance at a good deal. You negotiate your best deal with the salesman and then you present your "rebate $" I had 3,600 bucks on my rebate on my truck when I bought it for my husband the last time. I have about 2,400 now but not intentions on a new vehicle. But glad it is there if I need it. I currently have my Mom on Chase Sapphire. It has some great rebate options. Oh, and Southwest too. Too many years they jerked me around. It is my pleasure to charge it and pay if off and still get the benefit.

But that is my two cents. I am not sure the princess/barclay card is really worth it because it takes so many points....but it sure looks cool! ;)

Did you not have such great credit when you applied? My rate is slightly over 10%... not bad for a rewards card.

Thanks everyone! I did try a search but came up with a lot of info on Visas for immigration versus Visa cards, so it was hard to search for it. But thanks again!

I've used mine since I started cruising Princess in 2008. I've always redeemed the points for OBC's. You get $500.00 for only 40K worth of points. Las month I only had 25K left so that got me $250.00. I combined this with my Military Vet bennifit to give me my $500.00 OBC.....:):):)

Bob

While I have the Princess card, and am generally happy I do have a big complaint.

A few weeks ago I bought British Airway busniess class seats for our cruise next October. Used their US website, and purchased in US dollars. Princess Visa / Barclarys charged me a 3% foreign transaction of several hundred dollars.

Absolutely no way to know in advance that this was going to happen.

Hey Shepp,

I received my rewards statement from Discover yesterday. I can redeem my $60 for $120 Princess certificate. Can this be used toward the price of a cruise I already have booked, OBC, or is it only good for booking a future cruise? It would not be worth it to me toward a future cruise since I am not sure when I will be going again. I would like to use it toward the price of my Alaska cruise or as OBC on this cruise.

Thanks

Hey Shepp,

I received my rewards statement from Discover yesterday. I can redeem my $60 for $120 Princess certificate. Can this be used toward the price of a cruise I already have booked, OBC, or is it only good for booking a future cruise? It would not be worth it to me toward a future cruise since I am not sure when I will be going again. I would like to use it toward the price of my Alaska cruise or as OBC on this cruise.

Thanks

If you have booked your cruise through the TA associated with Discover and paid for it using the Discover card, then you can use it even if you've already paid in full. You just mail the hard-copy certificate in to the TA after you return from the cruise and they'll send you a check for the $120.

If you've booked a cruise and haven't put down final payment, you might also look at transferring the booking to the Discover-linked agency, taking possible cancellation costs into account, and send them the certificate to help pay off the balance. Either way, you'll get an actual $ credit for the reward, not an OBC.

I booked my next cruise through Princess, hunted around for a better deal, and concluded that transferring the booking to the Discover-linked agency was the best deal, but YMMV.

So it sounds like you'd need to charge $20,000 to get $500 worth of onboard credit? I think I might do better then with my current card that offers $100 for every $10,000 spent.

So for $20,000 you get $200 instead of $500 onboard credit? Seems like it would be better to take the credit and do whatever you want: an excursion, massage, nice wine, and a something to stock your home bar with!

BTW - my tablemate last cruise bought a $5000 piece of art on the Princess Visa, got 5000 bonus points and has a bottle of Dom Perignon waiting for him on his next cruise for free! (15000 points to get that)

Archived