Princess Transfer from Civitavecchia to FCO Airport

Embracedbylife

We plan to take the train from port to airport after disembarking at Civitavecchia port in Italy. However, it's possible that we may change our minds on this after taking the train TO the port on embarkation day and after maybe being a little tired and not up for the busy morning getting out of the pier and to the train (hope that isn't the case but who knows).

That being said, can we purchase the Princess transfer from Ship to Airport last minute - like the day before the cruise is over or do we need to purchase this ahead of time? If we do need to purchase ahead of time is there an option to cancel the transfer up to the day prior like you can do with most shore excursion tickets (not all I know)? I'd rather not commit to the transfer until we know for sure that's what we want to do.

I don't think you can take a direct train from port to airport. It will require a train into Rome (Termini), and then Leonardo Express to the Airport. I think the the ship's transfer is a better idea, although more expensive. You might also look into a private group transfer on your roll call.

We plan to take the train from port to airport after disembarking at Civitavecchia port in Italy. However, it's possible that we may change our minds on this after taking the train TO the port on embarkation day and after maybe being a little tired and not up for the busy morning getting out of the pier and to the train (hope that isn't the case but who knows).

That being said, can we purchase the Princess transfer from Ship to Airport last minute - like the day before the cruise is over or do we need to purchase this ahead of time? If we do need to purchase ahead of time is there an option to cancel the transfer up to the day prior like you can do with most shore excursion tickets (not all I know)?

You can purchase the transfer on board at the excursion desk, but I would do it earlier in the cruise to be sure of getting spaces on the bus. After taking the train to the port, you will probably know if you would rather do the Princess xfer to the airport.

Sometimes they do allow cancellation of the xfers, but often they are sold with no refund allowed.

I don't think you can take a direct train from port to airport. It will require a train into Rome (Termini), and then Leonardo Express to the Airport. I think the the ship's transfer is a better idea, although more expensive. You might also look into a private group transfer on your roll call.

Although there is no direct train between Civi and FCO there is no need to go all the way to Termini. You can change platforms at a station en route to Rome. The trenitalia website will give you the exact details. The train option will save you a fair amount but it does take some considerable time.

Hi There

Done this trip a couple of times always took Princess bus,

a lot less stress, plus when at airport the Princess reps pointed us in the right direction for checkin etc.

yours shogun

I've purchased the Princess transfer from ship to FCO and in my personalizer it says non refundable.

You can usually purchase the transfers onboard. Just ask at the Purser's desk.

Thanks everyone! Good info dog regarding "non refundable"! We are all set with the transfer station between the port and FCO and the schedules to transfer - looks ok. Our concern now is really getting from the pier to the train station that morning so we'll gage it the day we walk to the pier to embark and it seems ok we'll take the train. If it seems too much walking or waiting for the shuttle to get to the gate we'll spring for the ship transfer. Thanks again for all the info!!

You are definately correct on the train change.

Yes, we are changing trains at Roma Trastevere which is a bit before Roma termini and will take the train to FCO from there. And as a back up if we miss this stop we'll just transfer at the next stop (Roma Ostiense) to catch the train to FCO. Although Ostiense is one stop further away, it's a back up plan nonetheless! :)

If you do take the train, be very careful with your luggage in the Rome train stations. We had our backpack (full of electronics) stolen in Oct 2010 while waiting for the train at Roma Trastevere.

Having said that, saved quite a bit taking the train, vice the Princess transfers. But not enough to cover our losses.

Our concern now is really getting from the pier to the train station that morning so we'll gage it the day we walk to the pier to embark and it seems ok we'll take the train. If it seems too much walking or waiting for the shuttle to get to the gate we'll spring for the ship transfer. Thanks again for all the info!!

The one time we wanted the train (to Rome, not the airport), we took a taxi from the pier to the station. Back then we were charged about 10 Euros for the taxi, more than the train cost us.

Yes, we are changing trains at Roma Trastevere which is a bit before Roma termini and will take the train to FCO from there. And as a back up if we miss this stop we'll just transfer at the next stop (Roma Ostiense) to catch the train to FCO. Although Ostiense is one stop further away, it's a back up plan nonetheless! :)

Exactly !!

We have made the train transfer a few times and it is quite straightforward. I recall that there are also platform lifts at Trastevere but not at Civi. The walk between the station and port gates is about 10 minutes on the level.

You are right to be cautious about the port shuttle from the ship to the port gates. You can wait some time as frequency can vary. On the other hand, you can disembark pretty early.

I think you are very sensible by seeing how you get on from station to ship before deciding on your end of cruise transfer. On board, they will be able to tell you the earliest disembarkation time at the end of your cruise.

Personally, for us the key is our flight time. This year, our cruise also ends in Civi and our flight is just before noon. We are not comfortablw relying on the train so are sharing a transfer with others, arranged on our roll call thread. Cost is much less than the exorbitant Princess transfer rate.

If you do take the train, be very careful with your luggage in the Rome train stations. We had our backpack (full of electronics) stolen in Oct 2010 while waiting for the train at Roma Trastevere.

Having said that, saved quite a bit taking the train, vice the Princess transfers. But not enough to cover our losses.

wow, did they take it off your back??? Or did you set it down? I always clutch everything I have extra tight LOl. and put my personal things (passport etc) that are ultra important in a fanny thing usually.

The one time we wanted the train (to Rome, not the airport), we took a taxi from the pier to the station. Back then we were charged about 10 Euros for the taxi, more than the train cost us.

I was told in another message board forum by someone else that there are no taxi's at the pier - only the transfer bus that takes you to the port entrance/exit and you have to walk to the station from there. Sounds like there were taxi's right there at the pier? Did you have any problems getting the taxi to take you to the train as most of them likely wanted to take you directly to rome?

I was told in another message board forum by someone else that there are no taxi's at the pier - only the transfer bus that takes you to the port entrance/exit and you have to walk to the station from there. Sounds like there were taxi's right there at the pier? Did you have any problems getting the taxi to take you to the train as most of them likely wanted to take you directly to rome?

It was several years ago, but at that time tehre were taxis right near the ship. No problem going just to the train station (except I felt 10 euros was high for that short distance) as the taxi can go right back to the prot for another fare.

We have done this twice, although not on Princess. We have simply advertised on our Roll Call for others who may want to go to the airport. After getting 1 or 2 couples to join us, we have made arrangements with RomeCabs to meet us at ship and take us to FCO. Much less stress and not much cost when shared with 1 or 2 more couples. A lot depends on when you have to be at the airport. It seems to me that I have not seen too many taxis waiting at the ship. Most were pre-arranged taxis and limos.

This is true 10 euro's a bit high but I think we'd pay that just to avoid waiting for the shuttle to fill up and walk the 4 blocks after that. We might in the end just pay for the princess shuttle bus to the airport, but we are exploring the train option if we have the energy :) I'm only 34 so I should hope to have the energy LOL. And I travel light so I'll just have the one carry on suitcase so that should be ok.

This is true 10 euro's a bit high but I think we'd pay that just to avoid waiting for the shuttle to fill up and walk the 4 blocks after that. We might in the end just pay for the princess shuttle bus to the airport, but we are exploring the train option if we have the energy :) I'm only 34 so I should hope to have the energy LOL. And I travel light so I'll just have the one carry on suitcase so that should be ok.

We are over 20 years older than you, although pretty fit and have no problem with the shuttle and walk option.

Our view is exactly the same as teacherman and that is how we organise our independent transfer, when not using the train

You just made my day, I'm almost double your age and would not do anything but take the train. I have done this several times both ways and prefer it over taking a bus. I fact I am going to the port in Oct and that's how I getting there.

Glad to make your day FLACRUISER99!! We would prefer the train no question over the princess bus to the airport - i hate being in a bus with 50 other people, and am not looking to join up with others to share a car service. From what I've heard it's pretty easy to get the shuttle bus to the port exit, and since we are the only ship in port that day, I am hoping the bus will fill up quick and get us outside the pier in good time. So that was really my big concern.

We'll be taking the train from Rome to the port on the day of embarkation so we'll have a good feel for it that day in anticipation for our return to the airport on disembarkation day. I have all the train schedules down pat too so it's likely not going to be a problem - and it's encouraging that others do it easily too! :) I'm even going to purchase our return train tickets before leaving the station that first day so we have them for coming back.

I'm actually pretty encouraged now to stick to our plan of taking the train to the airport! it saves a lot of money and we are very able to walk and stuff so maybe we'll just go for it!! Being prepared is half the battle I think so there are no suprises!

Archived