paying to upgrade after final payment

sportsmum

If I have made my final payment to my TA can I pay for an upgraded, different cabin?

Long story short- I requested my TA put through the final payment and asked if it affected my ability to get any price reductions. He didn't answer and put through the payment. I wanted the payment to go through if it didn't affect anything since the CND $ was doing so well. Then the price went down (day after) and he said I couldn't get the lower price because the final payment was made. I am spitting mad.

I can go to a full suite for just a few dollars more now. I can get the St thomas suite, aft for my C751. Is that a good switch?

I do not want to email him unless I know the answer since he does not answer my emails or his phone quickly. His excuse? I am on a cruise and I don't have an answering machine or use an 'out of office' response or I am sick or I didn't get it. Can you imagine this guy has awards?

Yes, I had used him before (twice) and all was well. This just burns me!!:mad:

Since it is well before final payment 'due' date- could I switch to another TA?

Thanks for any help.

If you haven't reached the final payment date yet, you should still be able to get the price reduction even if you have paid your cruise off in full. BUT, this could be some rule of the travel agent you booked with.

You can still upgrade if you pay the difference, that should not be a problem at all. Your TA will have to check to make sure the price you are seeing for the full suite is not in the form of a flash promo though as a flash promo is normally for new bookings only (that would be very rare though as most full suites do not drop in price or are in the flash promo category).

I don't think you can switch TA's now that you have made final payment, I honestly am not sure, but I doubt it. Hopefully someone else can answer that question for you.

Good luck on this one!

Just to add another thought, you can pay to upgrade no matter if it is after final payment date or before. If you are willing to pay the price difference and there is a higher cabin available you wish to upgrade to, you just pay the difference.

Just to add another thought, you can pay to upgrade no matter if it is after final payment date or before. If you are willing to pay the price difference and there is a higher cabin available you wish to upgrade to, you just pay the difference.
Isn't the price quoted when you want to upgrade the "current" price? Not the price at the time of booking? Often, the current price is higher than prices at the time of the original booking.

Since it is well before final payment 'due' date

This is a good reason not to pay in full until a few days before final payment date.

My TA requires final payment a couple weeks before Princess' final payment date. I paid it on 3/14, but Princess' date is 3/30. On 3/17, our cabin price dropped by about $50pp. I called my TA to get the price drop, but she said that since we had already 'paid in full', we couldn't get a refund/credit but that Princess would give us OBC. They gave us $75pp!! So, you might try asking your TA if you can have some OBC instead of getting the price drop.

Yes, you can get price reductions after final as long as you qualify. Yes, you can pay to upgrade at anytime up until they close the sailing to changes, usually about 48 hours prior to sailing. Princess allows the changes, your ta may not.

Thank you all!

I sure learned a lesson on this one. Stupid, stupid, stupid! I did ask for onboard credit and was told, no, in a strictly "avoid the answer' way.

I might as well go for a full suite, aft, for just a few dollars more than an aft cabin....if I can. Otherwise, I will find out how much he charges for a cancellation and maybe rebook the suite with some one else.....and get it all in writing!

I wonder if I upgrade and don't make the upgrade payment until later- does that mean I am no longer paid in full and can get further discounts?:D

Bypass the TA and call Princess with your information. Princess after all ahs the last word on this. I know you are trying to support your TA but is that being done in reverse. I would not make final payment 2 weeks sooner than what Princess requires just for that reason. Have heard about many TA's setting their own policies that do not make sense. Call Princess and see what they can do for you.

Archived