What to do in Napier, NZ

bobhsv

This is so good and the guides are very informative. You can do it in about 2 -3 hours. We have a friend who we met a few years ago on the Queen Victoria and he now does the walking tours. The local Tourist office will have all the info you need and here is a link

www.artdeconapier.com

We have very limited time. Ship docks at 12 noon and leaves at 7 pm.

Thanks

If you rent a car or hire a driver...You can get a nice shot of the ship from Bluff Hill just above the port. Te Mata Peak gives 360 degree views of the area. There are also many wineries. We met a very nice lady on CruiseCritic who gave us a private tour that cost us lunch and a tank of gas. It was incredibly nice.

Bluff Hill

https://picasaweb.google.com/rocky.grimes/AustraliaNewZealand#5409754429436399554

Te Mata Peak

https://picasaweb.google.com/rocky.grimes/AustraliaNewZealand#5409754579043616178

I am thinking of doing a cycle ride which visits some vinyards. I read about it on cruise critic (but I cannot remember the name of the company)the only concern I have is I know I am only physically able to cycle on the flat, any sign of a hill and I will have problems......Perhaps the tastings will give me the courage to attempt the hills!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Napier in February. I guess all of this comes down to the rest of your itinerary. We try not to do full day tours (I know you are only there for seven hours) in each port.

The downtown area is quite nice and we spent a few hours in the downtown area including the art deco are.

If you have full day tours in other ports prior to and after this stop you may want to consider spending a leisurely afternoon in the downtown area.

Keith

Thanks Keith,

We actually booked a tour the other day, for the afternoon, which includes the town plus countryside. It was the only one I could find, that didn't just go to wineries alone. We are finding this time round that the cruise ships have prebooked a lot of tour operators, particularly around Bay of Islands. Also in Dunedin, there are 2 ships in that day, so we are going to do it the Princess way. Times change fast.........wasn't like that a year ago....more ships doing the Tasman I guess.

Anyway thanks again.

Jen

Jen, you are very welcome.

We just can't say enough for how much we enjoyed all of the ports we visited in February. This was the second time we've been to New Zealand and we thought it was better than ever and look forward to returning again.

Keith

I am thinking of doing a cycle ride which visits some vinyards. I read about it on cruise critic (but I cannot remember the name of the company)the only concern I have is I know I am only physically able to cycle on the flat, any sign of a hill and I will have problems......Perhaps the tastings will give me the courage to attempt the hills!!!

Fom the port in Napier it is a flat walk around the base of the hill to the CBD. Just a 1 km pleasant walk following the shore. The city was partly destroyed by an earthquake in 1931 and many building were rebuilt in the art deco style. If it's your taste in architecture then take a tour. It's of some significence, evidently, in the world of art deco.

I lived there for 45 years and must admit I didn't really take a lot of notice :-)

Except for the 3 hills which combine to form what we always called "the Hill" which separate the port area from the rest of Napier, it is all completely flat right out to Taradale which is approx. 20 minutes away by car. There you will find some very nice wineries, one of which is the Mission winery which has an interesting history re the monastary brothers who worked the winery up to about 20 years ago. To see others you would need to travel to Havelock North (in one direction) and Esk Valley (in another). Neither are more than half an hour away.

It's a pretty little city and the shopping is almost all in one long street. Along the shore there's a nice walk with various attractions and some excellent cafes and restaurants. Sadly, the beach is only for looking at, it's extremely dangerous due to the strong rip.

Woodley, you could easily do the Taradale cycle thing, it truly is very flat, and as well as the wineries there is a delightful shopping centre there with cafes and great gift shops. (do you have cycling guides to accompany you? I guess you would have to really .... )

Have great fun on your cruise everyone!

Edited by sophienfred
spelling

• 5 months later...

:)

Thanks

We also have only limited time 12noon to 7pm what I would like to know if anybody has visited the Prison it is meant to be the oldest prison in NZ:confused:

:)

We also have only limited time 12noon to 7pm what I would like to know if anybody has visited the Prison it is meant to be the oldest prison in NZ:confused:

A couple of years ago we did a tour of the prison with Princess' organised tours. TBH it didn't really impress me that much. But if you like that kind of thing...prison history, details of how they kept and treated criminals years ago etc, you will enjoy it! I just found it a little dry...

Fom the port in Napier it is a flat walk around the base of the hill to the CBD. Just a 1 km pleasant walk following the shore. The city was partly destroyed by an earthquake in 1931 and many building were rebuilt in the art deco style. If it's your taste in architecture then take a tour. It's of some significence, evidently, in the world of art deco.

I lived there for 45 years and must admit I didn't really take a lot of notice :-)

Except for the 3 hills which combine to form what we always called "the Hill" which separate the port area from the rest of Napier, it is all completely flat right out to Taradale which is approx. 20 minutes away by car. There you will find some very nice wineries, one of which is the Mission winery which has an interesting history re the monastary brothers who worked the winery up to about 20 years ago. To see others you would need to travel to Havelock North (in one direction) and Esk Valley (in another). Neither are more than half an hour away.

It's a pretty little city and the shopping is almost all in one long street. Along the shore there's a nice walk with various attractions and some excellent cafes and restaurants. Sadly, the beach is only for looking at, it's extremely dangerous due to the strong rip.

Woodley, you could easily do the Taradale cycle thing, it truly is very flat, and as well as the wineries there is a delightful shopping centre there with cafes and great gift shops. (do you have cycling guides to accompany you? I guess you would have to really .... )

Have great fun on your cruise everyone!

Thanks heaps sophienfred for some really helpful info. :)

• 2 weeks later...
You must try the best ice-cream ..hokey-pokey is the famous NZ flavour . There's a shop along the esplanade where you can get some.

Everyone likes Hokey Pokey.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JspHqoegTkc&feature=pyv

Hokey Pokey is a NZ tradition. And for the Rugby World Cup, Tip Top Ice Creams have bought out a special Hokey Pokey Triumph Ice Cream - which is addicitive!

David - the ad is wonderful (so Toyota and so Kiwi!):D :cool:

There are two different companies one is Fishbikes (they never answered my questions) the other is Takarotrails.co.nz her name is Jenny and I also said I am small and not sure if I can make their longs tours.

She said they would drop us off closer to the wineries to make it a shorter ride and flat land.:)

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks Keith,

We actually booked a tour the other day, for the afternoon, which includes the town plus countryside. It was the only one I could find, that didn't just go to wineries alone. We are finding this time round that the cruise ships have prebooked a lot of tour operators, particularly around Bay of Islands. Also in Dunedin, there are 2 ships in that day, so we are going to do it the Princess way. Times change fast.........wasn't like that a year ago....more ships doing the Tasman I guess.

Anyway thanks again.

Jen

Jen,

Do you remember the name of the company? I would like to do a non-wine tour, too. We arrive at 7Am and depart 2PM. Not much time!

Jen,

Do you remember the name of the company? I would like to do a non-wine tour, too. We arrive at 7Am and depart 2PM. Not much time!

Hi,

It was hawkes bay scenic tours. http://www.hbscenictours.co.nz There is a section on front page for cruise ships. Most fit in with the odd times, and are reasonably priced.

Jen

Another option could be:

www.absolutedetours.co.nz

I am booking a tour with them that picks up at shipside and returns well before sailaway time.

Ok this tour visits some wineries + the chocolate factory + the Ice cream place.

They have other options and are cheaper than Hawke Bay Scenic tours

cheers

Thanks

Ship provides shuttle to the city i-site where you can buy tours from local operators [all authorised], some ideas would be.

1] Take the ART DECO society guided wlaking tours.

2] take a longer tour in a clasic Packard car from the 30's out to wineries etc, book by the hour.

3] visit the marine aquarium about a 20 minute walk from the i-site.

4] Visit the wineries this place is famous for, need a guide and car etc, plenty of options.

5] Take a cycling tour with one of a nunber of comapnies [flat land makes it easy]

6] Try the DUCK tour!

7] Get out past CLIVE and see the Te Mata peak, a great viewpoint over the vineyards.

8] Spend the day in the open air pools just up the road.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
Hi,

It was hawkes bay scenic tours. http://www.hbscenictours.co.nz There is a section on front page for cruise ships. Most fit in with the odd times, and are reasonably priced.

Jen

We did this company's Discover Hawkes Bay Sightseeing Tour off the Oosterdam (7 Apr 2015). Basically it was exactly as advertised on the company's website and was an excellent tour. Also, it was cheaper than comparable tours offered by the cruise ship. John Hanlon (driver/guide) was very accommodating and knowledgeable about the history of the community. Also, his booking procedure was easy, he promptly responded to emailed questions, and the pre-tour information provided (i.e. where to find the port shuttle and meet for tour, etc.) was excellent. There was a lot of sites/information packed into the 5 hour tour. The mini van was comfortable too.