i'm going to start booking last minute only

SG81

i just checked the price for our May 7th cruise on the Liberty and it's less than what i paid 2 weeks ago. Past guest rate for balcony is currently $699, which i think is pretty good. i think i'm going to start booking last minute from now on. Good idea or bad?

If you can make travel arrangement, ie time of work at a minutes notice-why not.

On the other hand, no time to enjoy looking forward to the cruise already booked.

If the price goes down on your cruise, can you not talk to your travel agent, mentioning the price change and perhaps get the discount?

by the way-I LOVED Liberty-a fabulous ship. Have a great time.

i just checked the price for our May 7th cruise on the Liberty and it's less than what i paid 2 weeks ago. Past guest rate for balcony is currently $699, which i think is pretty good. i think i'm going to start booking last minute from now on. Good idea or bad?

Thats why we book Early Saver. We sail in 8 days and all year long our cruise has gone up. In past 2 days it has gone down and each cabin we booked gets a 90.00 OBC. We can get the price drops up to 48 hrs. before sailing.

If you don't mind a choice of "left-over" cabins, and you can get good airfare, go for it! I find prices tend to go up for most of my cruises the closer I get - but I travel only during high season. (school vacations)

If you can make travel arrangement, ie time of work at a minutes notice-why not.

On the other hand, no time to enjoy looking forward to the cruise already booked.

If the price goes down on your cruise, can you not talk to your travel agent, mentioning the price change and perhaps get the discount?

by the way-I LOVED Liberty-a fabulous ship. Have a great time.

i booked on Carnival's website and paid in full at time of booking, so nothing can be done now. i kinda like booking sorta last minute and just going, but i get what you mean about the weeks or months leading up to it. and thanks btw!

With ES being available I don't know if booking late has any benefit to speak of...

:)

Thats why we book Early Saver. We sail in 8 days and all year long our cruise has gone up. In past 2 days it has gone down and each cabin we booked gets a 90.00 OBC. We can get the price drops up to 48 hrs. before sailing.

i do think ES is the best way to go, but i never know that far ahead of time what months i can take off from work. plus, i go with my gf and who knows if we'll even still be together that far ahead (ya that sounded bad i guess lol)

If you don't mind a choice of "left-over" cabins, and you can get good airfare, go for it! I find prices tend to go up for most of my cruises the closer I get - but I travel only during high season. (school vacations)

i though booking within 40-50 days of the cruise was kinda last minute since i see a lot on here are booked with months to a year before they sail, but i guess not :(

Im a fan now of late booking, where I can pick the deals and not stuck with a date with higher prices, when it is cheaper 2 weeks later.

Not to mention the restrictions. Iv sworn off ES myself. btw you usually cannot match last minute gty rates if you choose to book ES ... thats why ES is not always the best choice. No downgrading allowed to the gty rate.

The only price drops I have seen is with the Pack N Go rate, and there is a restriction to ES. I tried to UPGRADE to a balcony pack n go rate and even pay for it and they wouldn't let me. Last minute travel is starting to look better and better (since I can drive to most ports).

The only price drops I have seen is with the Pack N Go rate, and there is a restriction to ES. I tried to UPGRADE to a balcony pack n go rate and even pay for it and they wouldn't let me. Last minute travel is starting to look better and better (since I can drive to most ports).

Exactly my point.

A tricky way of lowering prices last minute so ES cannot price match.

That's what I plan to do also. Why? I drive to port, I can move my vacation time around fairly easily, and we don't try to cruise with family or friends.

I got burned last year with my RCI cruise when 3 weeks before sailing they were discounting balcony cabins to the same price I had paid for an inside. I tried to switch to a balcony cabin or get on board credit, they said no way m'am, those fabulous prices are for new bookings only. Grrrrr!

So this year I'm looking at 2 cruises, one on RCI and one on Carnival. I am checking prices, talking to travel agents, but I really don't want to book until 3-4 weeks before. If those ships are full I'll be mad at myself, but there are many ships in the Med this year, even if I have to drive to a port further away, I will probably find something good.

I think it's fundamentally unfair that prices on cruises are going the way of the airlines and if they play those sorts of games so will I.

Thats a fine idea, as long as you have the flexability to cruise at the drop of a hat, and last minute airfare doesn't kill the savings. I get 6 weeks vaca a year, but can't just call in to work and say I'll be gone for a week starting tomorrow. But if you can do it, go for it. I just say a trans-atlantic on Costa last week, balcony, 14 nights $599pp.:eek:

i though booking within 40-50 days of the cruise was kinda last minute since i see a lot on here are booked with months to a year before they sail, but i guess not :(

Heck yeah! If you see a great deal at the last minute then book it. I am like you I can't commit that far ahead.....not because of time off but I might find something even better and cheaper somewhere else. ES does not give you that flexibility.

I love Early Saver. I am a planner so it works for me.

Same here. As soon as I know my school vacations for the next year, I book the itinerary I want. Yesterday I just booked for next President's Week - got a pretty good price, imho.

I'd rather book early and be able to have the exact cabin I want. I guess if that doesn't matter to someone, they can book whenever they want.

The times we have booked late we don't just choose any old cabin.....it has to be a balcony cabin in a nice location. You will be surprised how many cabins are left a few months before sailing.

My last few cruises have been last minute and I got some great deals.

I sailed RCCL 5 night for $250 PP and then sailed the Legend for 7 nights for $430 PP. Since we were already in Tampa I we booked the Legend right before we boarded the Radiance. I bought a one way ticket to Tampa and then used points to fly home.

The majority of my cruises have been booked 2-4 weeks in advance and I've gotten some good deals. However, I do think waiting til the last minute can be hit or miss. I wanted to book a last minute 3 day Bahamas cruise on the Sensation last year. They said only 4 cabins were left and an inside room for a solo was almost $900! :eek: I passed! If the ship is almost full the price will go way up. I booked ES for the first time for my next cruise and hoping for the best with some price drops.

Archived