Oy yoy yoy....eurodam final night calamity...

LarryF

We had a fantastic time on our March 25 sailing on the Eurodam and I plan to write a detailed review when I get time; However, there was on big disappointment I wanted to post now in case others are similar to me.

We had open seating dining which we have had for the last 8 years or so on Princess. My main reasons for choosing open seating are so we can dine when we wish to dine and secondly I don't like dancing waiters and all the fanfare that sometimes happens at traditional dining.

That being said, it was to my great surprise that on the last night of the cruise they do not have open seating and you are assigned a specific table at a specific time. We were given this information at dinner the evening before and were asked whether we preferred early or late seating. The next day I tried to make reservations at the Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind, but they were completely full. So, I decided one night of traditional dining wouldn't kill me and went to dinner with a positive outlook. The room was very festive when we entered and everyone was wearing a chef's hat which I wore as well...hey, when in Rome...:rolleyes:

The disappointment started with the fixed menu. There were only two things that appealed to me on the menu; those being Lobster Bisque and the Lamb Chops. What I really wanted was to order from the everyday menu ....my choice would have been the Onion Soup, Caesar Salad and NY Sirloin Steak. I had these items earlier the week and they were all wonderful.

The waiter took my wife's order first, but cut her off abruptly halfway through her giving her order when he quickly excused himself! And where did he go? Why of course he had to join all the dancing waiters! Oh what fun!:D

About 10 minutes later the waiter returned and took everyone's order. When I asked the waiter if I could order from the everyday menu he replied that I could not and could only order from the chef's fixed menu. He wasn't rude, but his answer was quick and decisive. Still keeping my cool, I ordered the bisque and chops and knew those dishes would probably be as good as all the food had been all week.

In fact, the bisque was very good and it was pretty much the same bisque I had in the Pinnacle Grill earlier in the week. The two Lamb Chops were good; however, the meat on the bones were about the size of a quarter! :eek:

Well I took that in stride and decided that I would order a good dessert. Shortly after clearing our plates, party number 2 started! It was the baked Alaska dance! Everyone grabbed there napkins and started twirling them to the rhythm of the music. I felt like I was at the final game of the NBA championship...what's up with the napkins?:confused: I can't believe I've been missing all this excitement all these years in personal choice dining. :rolleyes:

And then the fun really began...nobody at our table liked or wanted Baked Alaska. We were allowed to order from the normal dessert menu, but not until everyone else in the room was served there Baked Alaska.

Dinner began at 8pm and it was now twenty minutes to 10pm. We all ordered out desserts as the dining room began clearing out. Most of us also ordered coffee. The dessert was served at 9:55pm and we all gulped it up as fast as possible so we could make the 10:15 final show. At 10:10pm we still had not been served our coffee and our dancing waiter had disappeared. I think he may have od'd on the Baked Alaska! :D So, everyone at the table got up and made a mad scramble for the Theatre!

It really wasn't as bad as I make it out to be, but my point is that when we chose to have open dining, there should have been a disclaimer that there will not be open dining on the last evening and everyone will be assigned a table at early or late seating times. Had I known this I would not have hesitated to make reservations at one of the specialty restaurants that evening.

So now there is no excuse for the rest of you that prefer open dining, you have been officially notified by me!

Happy cruising...

i am sorry that you didn't know that the open seating would not be in place when they have the master chef's dinner on the last evening -- i know that i have posted it quite a few times -- also i have made mention that there isn't alternative choices

years ago when this "dinner" was first introduced the menu had only 5 entree choices -- everything else was also limited

now the last number of years we prebook the pinnacle or tamarind -- depending on the ship -- for the last night of the cruise

Those of us who have been on HAL cruises or this board for a long time know about the Chef's Dinner. As far as I know, there is no other way to hear about it than from a fellow cruiser. I've never seen it mentioned in any of the HAL literature. It's great to read the amazement of someone just discovering the tradition, and a lot of new cruisers are probably MOST grateful to be forewarned...others will look forward to the evening. Either way, you've performed a public service. It will be new information for many new HAL cruisers. Thanks for a great first post

i am sorry that you didn't know that the open seating would not be in place when they have the master chef's dinner on the last evening -- i know that i have posted it quite a few times -- also i have made mention that there isn't alternative choices

years ago when this "dinner" was first introduced the menu had only 5 entree choices -- everything else was also limited

now the last number of years we prebook the pinnacle or tamarind -- depending on the ship -- for the last night of the cruise

I need to read your posts more often!:) Most people would never know though, because it's just not something you would think about asking...

Larry

Those of us who have been on HAL cruises or this board for a long time know about the Chef's Dinner. As far as I know, there is no other way to hear about it than from a fellow cruiser. I've never seen it mentioned in any of the HAL literature. It's great to read the amazement of someone just discovering the tradition, and a lot of new cruisers are probably MOST grateful to be forewarned...others will look forward to the evening. Either way, you've performed a public service. It will be new information for many new HAL cruisers. Thanks for a great first post

I applaud those that enjoy the festivities of the Chef's dinner...I'm just an old fuddy duddy too set in my ways!

What initially turned me against traditional dining was on our first HAL cruise in 2003 on the Zuiderdam. One evening the waiters marched in to music that sounded like a **** War march. :eek: I'm sure it was some kind of Danish or Austrian tune, but visions of death camps came to mind and it kind of ruined my appetite! I was very pleased to hear very up beat festive music at the dinner our last evening of this cruise!:)

We agree with KK, we did this dinner once and decided never again. Did not enjoy the food and the service was impacted by this. For awhile it sounded like they were going to do away with it bu sounds like it is still around. We always make reservations at the Pinnacle for the first night and the last night of the cruise. Like to begin and end vacation on a high note!

I'm glad the OP started this thread, because I knew nothing about this last night dinner tradition. I've cruised on other lines where they have the singing, dancing waiters and the Baked Alaska parade, but never encountered the restricted menu at this Chef's Dinner.

We'll be doing two b2b cruises on Eurodam later this year, so I suppose we'll have two Chef's Dinners.

Do they have a vegetarian choice on the menu for the Chef's Dinner? If not, we'll need to make alternative dining arrangements in advance.

Was that a formal night?

I really don't like the Baked Alaska parade. It just seems so outdated and I like tradition!

The Chef's Dinner is never on a formal night. It is usually on the last night of the cruise.

I agree with TravelMatron. Also think your thread is a public service :D , since I also dodge all this specialness.

Problem: people can skim down a forum page and overlook a dozen "Master Chef Dinner" threads but "Oy yoy yoy" and "last night" are great potential tags!

I like fixed dining ("vive la différence!") and I feel guilty when I slope off to the Pinnacle on the last night. But, not guilty enough to eat in the MDR. I just have to tip a night earlier.

So I guess it would be safe to assume no one left an additional tip to the waiter nor said goodbye and thank you !!! :eek:

But the OP was in open dining. If there was exceptional service, I'm sure there were tips earlier. That last night's service rarely merits a tip "above and beyond" the standard gratuities. Not the waiters' faults, inherent in the specialness, but...

OP, I am more of a lurker and learner than poster and educator, but I have to tell you that

you have provided a great lesson for HAL newbies.

Like you, we were blindsided by our first experience of the Master Chef's Dinner on the

Oosterdam in 2009.

In January this year we were joined by my brother and SIL and her parents on the

Eurodam. While making our reservations for the Tamarind on the first day for the last

night, I encouraged the other members of our party to join us. I gave them all the reasons you mention: lack of choice, lack of service, length of dinner, etc...

They remained unconvinced although I brought it up several more times.

We did not see them the last evening. As we joined them at disembarkation the first words

out of my DIL's mouth were: "You were so right, I wish we had listened."

OP, I am more of a lurker and learner than poster and educator, but I have to tell you that

you have provided a great lesson for HAL newbies.

Like you, we were blindsided by our first experience of the Master Chef's Dinner on the

Oosterdam in 2009.

In January this year we were joined by my brother and SIL and her parents on the

Eurodam. While making our reservations for the Tamarind on the first day for the last

night, I encouraged the other members of our party to join us. I gave them all the reasons you mention: lack of choice, lack of service, length of dinner, etc...

They remained unconvinced although I brought it up several more times.

We did not see them the last evening. As we joined them at disembarkation the first words

out of my DIL's mouth were: "You were so right, I wish we had listened."

Glad to be of service!

Hello Larry from Doug and Pam!!

Sorry your last dinner did not work out. It was a bizarre event to say the least.

It was a real pleasure to cruise with you and Amy, and the day you had setup on the sailboat in St. Thomas was awesome.

We look forward to seeing you guys again on a future cruise.

Hello Larry from Doug and Pam!!

Sorry your last dinner did not work out. It was a bizarre event to say the least.

It was a real pleasure to cruise with you and Amy, and the day you had setup on the sailboat in St. Thomas was awesome.

We look forward to seeing you guys again on a future cruise.

Thanks Pam...we hope to cruise with you again also...check your facebook as I just posted some pics...

Larry

Hey everyone from the March 12-19 Eurodam sailing! I also hope to post a review soon.

Larry, excellent post! I remember the Master Chef's dinner being mentioned when I was preparing for previous cruises, but never saw it mentioned for this recent itinerary. We had always avoided it in the past as the menu leaned towards a lot of mushroom dishes and we are not fans of mushrooms. This time though when we were told about it on the ship we just went with it since we had never been. I was very concerned when I was given the menu that evening, but ended up really enjoying the oxtail soup and I believe it was meat medallions. Although, we were never even offered to have any other dessert than the baked Alaska. Sounds like it was more hassle though than it was worth. Overall it was a fun experience with the family, but we probably wouldn't do it again.

Larry we also owe you a big thanks for the tip on Godfrey Tours. They were fantastic and so professional. We saw another operation while we were out and it seemed like a party bus, we were very glad we were not on that bus.

Hope everyone had safe travels home. It was nice meeting!

I am very confused!! Our first cruise was on the Celebrity Century, and the dining experience in the MDR was perfect. Our next cruise was on the Carnival Glory with dancing waiters, goofy hats and wigs, and other annoying practices--we decided Carnival was not for us. Our last cruise was on the Zuiderdam. I don't remember any dancing waiters--the experience was close to that of the Celebrity cruise. In a few days we sail on the Maasdam. Our TA comp'd us a dinner in the Pinnacle. What night should we book that for? Do you know in advance what night it is you want to avoid the MDR or do you have to look at the daily activity schedule? Thank you in advance for clarifying (we have no bias against baked alaska, however).

In January on the Statendam, we were told by one of the senior dining room staff that this fiasco is going away.........no time mentioned, no details.

The Prinsendam does not participate in this program and so it was much to our surprise when we cruised on the Volendam a year and a half ago to find this. We were on a B2B and went to the first one and definitely skipped the 2nd. And then on another Volendam B2B, last fall, we immediately made alternate plans for both last nights of the cruise. :eek:

The dining room staff member that told us it was going away also mentioned that the dining staff really doesn't like it either.......as one would imagine.

So, hopefully HAL will really do away with this "entertainment" and get back to just providing a nice dining venue.

Here's hoping!!!!

I was planning for a Pinnacle dinner....just not sure of the day. Now I know....just booked for Pinnacle at 730 the last night:D

Although it was fun....on our first cruise....it gets REALLY old really fast.

(Although if they had dutch hats.......:rolleyes:)

one outstanding memory.....a tablemate being seasick into her 'dutch hat'....how handy!

.......ready to start planning for packing, cruise is getting close....and still wishing for the upgrade fairy!

May 2 can't come fast enough:rolleyes:

I thought it was kind of stupid also, but the dinner was not all that bad. Why they keep doing is beyond me. I guess they don't read the boards. We did it on the Maasdam, wore the dum hats and everything. I liked the Dutch Night much better, but HAL is not listening. DBA where are you??? help.

Since this will be our first HAL cruise I had no idea what the "master chef dinner" was, although I had seen lots of posts about it. Calling it by name but not describing what it is does not tell new cruisers to HAL what to expect. Thanks so much for filling us in. I am torn. I can't eat cream in any form and hearing that we can't order anything else makes me very warry. That said we will be sailing with our two children who will be 7 and 19 at the time and it sounds like they would love all the carryings-on and they would love to see all the adults acting like children flipping their napkins over their heads....:D

We have a fixed early dinner time in the dining room at a table of 4. We also like baked alaska and it was our dessert at our wedding as it was the dessert at my parent's wedding in 1955 so I wanted to do that for them. The kids would love it as they have never had it.

I will now talk to my husband and see what we should do. I may even talk to the TA about this. Most things in restaurants come in cream sauce which has ruined more than one meal for me. I remember going to one of the top restaurants in Barbados where they absolutely refused to serve scollops without their cream sauce and the chef suggested I try the roasted vegetables!:mad: I wasn't about to pay that price for flippn' roasted vegetables....I left hungry.

This would have been a very nasty surprise at the end of our long-awaited cruise and I really appreciate you describing what Master Chef Diner was all about.

Gail

countdown.pl?image=alaska&name=1of4&date=8-24-2011&text=Heading to Alaska!&ship=Volendam

Archived