Celebrity Cruisers don't like kids

gelo7

I really really love well mannered kids. I really do. They are fun to be with and so forth. Generally their parents apologize for behavior that is no big deal and are aware of the rules and are conscious that there kids follow the rules. You know why, because they, as parents, follow the rules.

We've had little ones as tablemates on several cruises -- they have always been well behaved and really SO much fun. Some things that I have become jaded about over the years, when shared with a seven or eight year old really become fun again -- the little "floor shows" that the wait staff puts on and some of the special flourishes. I've discovered when there are well behaved kids at the table, most of the time the wait staff is a bit more engaged.

We have found that the children that we see on Celebrity Cruises are very well behaved. Only once have I even noticed less than appropriate behaviour from children on a Celebrity cruise, and this was from a 12-13 year old boy that never seemed to have any adult supervision that I could see.

There is a thread on the Carnival board about many cruisers not wanting kids on Cruises. It was started on March 22, and it already has over 450 posts. A few of those posts intimated that people that sail Celebrity really don't like to see kids cruising. We are taking our first Celebrity cruise a week from today, please say that it isn't so.

I posted on this thread in April 2011 when it was in its original incarnation. I was surprised to see it get resurrected, but I guess we CC'ers just can't get enough of certain favorite topics. Anyway, I quoted the original question in case anyone wonders what it was.

We've taken our kids on 11 cruises, of which 3 have been on Celebrity. They would jump at the chance to go on another, especially on a Solstice-class ship. Our experiences have been very positive, and we would go again in a heartbeat.

Like many things in life, children are appreciated in moderation. It seems to me that most complaints come when there are hordes of kids and things spiral out of control. By contrast, on cruises where there are smaller numbers of kids, the fellow passengers seem to view them with a more kindly, tolerant eye. Of course there are always exceptions to every rule, and a few misbehaving kids can give the whole group a bad rep. But for us, we have always found Celebrity cruisers to be a very pleasant group to cruise with.

Most (but certainly not all) people have no problem with well behaved children acting normally. It is the unsupervised badly behaving brats and their trailer trash parents that we have a problem with.

DON

On my celebrity cruise there were very few children, but they all seemed to be well behaved. The few times I saw them.

On the princess cruise there were more kids and some of parents did not parent them. This included hands in the buffet, dropping the tongs and putting the back in the buffet and my favorite.....taping their parents beer bottles together right at the bottom of the stairs. An accident waiting to happen and no parents around to supervise them. At the pool the outdoor pool there was always screaming while the parents sucked back buckets of beer. I really enjoyed the indoor pool on that cruise.

What is "trailer trash"? Is it economic status, educational level, professional status, blue blood status or is it "attitude"? I have seen very well to do parents who are professionals and whose children are total brats because their parents have instilled in them a sense of entitlement and a sense of superiority. I don't like the term trailer trash. :mad:

What is "trailer trash"? Is it economic status, educational level, professional status, blue blood status or is it "attitude"? I have seen very well to do parents who are professionals and whose children are total brats because their parents have instilled in them a sense of entitlement and a sense of superiority. I don't like the term trailer trash. :mad:

I think it's attitude and how one presents themselves in public. When I'm shopping and people show up in flannel sleep pants and slippers I think they are trashy. When people behave in public like they are on a Jerry Springer show.....I think trashy.

I think it's attitude and how one presents themselves in public. When I'm shopping and people show up in flannel sleep pants and slippers I think they are trashy. When people behave in public like they are on a Jerry Springer show.....I think trashy.

And when wealthy kids act like they are entitled they are trashy.

Well if to answer the question of the OP- I don´t think that X does not like children- they have nice and new facilities there for them. X is just not know for lot´s of kids sailing on their ships.

As for the " Trailer Trash" ( parents or whatever) it is a bit on the harsh site- agreed- and it is definatly not a very nice " title" - but nevertheles it is is a fact that it or they exist. Whether we like ot not!

Michael

I personally find the term "trailer trash" to be very offensive because it implies that poor people who can only afford to live in trailer parks don't know how to behave.

Hi All,

Agreed it is another "bigoted" stereo-type... and inappropriate for the Internet which is a WORLD WIDE Global medium.

It is right up there with classifying people by COLOUR, RACE, NATIONALITY, LANGUAGE, RELIGION, CULTURE, ABILITIES / DISABILITIES, GENDER or SEXUAL PREFERENCE.

This one is a stereo-type based on ECONOMICS.

Painting a whole group with one brush stroke... is bigotry, period !!

As such I have contacted the CC Mods and requested that the posts which contain the "offensive" term be removed. Hopefully, others who see this to also be true, will also take similar action.

Internet Forums are meant for fair discussion and exchange of info... not for the persecution of others or the perpetration of "hateful" stereotypes.

This is the 21st Century... we should be better than this as human beings !!

Cheers!

I was very happy there was an adult only area. Splitting the pool in half would not stop all the noise children generally make when they play. Other full paying passengers appreciate not having to deal with that. Probably why they have the outside pool for the kids. Their noise won't be inclosed and echoing inside the indoor pool.

Personally I would never go on a disney cruise. There would just be to many kids around for me to enjoy it. However it's good there is a cruise line who caters to children. :)

Actualy we did a Disney cruise when my daughter was eleven and it was a great cruise. I do jot remember any misbehaving children.

Its kind of like choosing a restaurant. When I go into a Cracker Barrel, a Bob Evans, or something similar, I know that there are going to be screaming kids, guys wearing ball caps, and chicks with tramp stamps showing. I know that going in, so it doesn't bother me too much. There are going to be famiilies etc. When I go to a Bonefish Grill, an Applebees (God forbid), or Buffalo Wild Wings, other similar chain restaurant, I know there could be children there, there also is a strong chance that the local softball team will be there knocking back pitchers of beer, or similar twenty somethings or even 40 somethings hooting and hollering about a ball game. I know that going in as well, so I don't get too upset about it. Now, when I go into a local French restaurant, or Winery Bistro, or expensive steak house, I know that I am going to drop about mid 3 figures for a supper for two, I better not see or hear any whiny kids or screaming babies. Sorry, get a sitter. Nor do I want to see jorts, ball caps, and other similar things from adults. When I see well mannered children, I nod my head and smile and I look at their parents and give them silent praise. Same goes for a cruise. If you want to turn your kids loose on the rest of us, take a Disney cruise or Carnival. Same goes for boorish adults. Hit the Carnival Cruise to Cozumel, drink all the upside down margaritas you can handle and so forth. Have at it. If your husband gets turned away at the MDR for wearing shorts in the evening, tough luck, you know the rules. There are reasons many of us choose Celebrity. I know lots of great kids that behave better than most adults. They say yes sir and no sir and are respectful. Unfortunately, all it takes is the family with Ghenghis Khan and Attila the Hun for kids, who think their little rays of sunshine can do no wrong and are just so cute as they knock over people and generally run wild, to ruin it for everyone else. For those of you appalled at the rules for adults only places, take your indiginity to Disney or live with the rules. It is really that simple. There is no bullying involved. Just live by what few rules Celebrity imposes and we will all get along. Same goes for adults too.
My sentiments exactly...

Archived