Celebrity Cruisers don't like kids

gelo7

WOW! I feel its best to be a positive role model for my children. Its too bad that you feel the way you do. Its all good. I always bring my children with me on all vacations and I show them that their mom is so proud to bring them along and I show them that even us adults make mistakes and NO ONE IS PERFECT. I teach my kids to be kind and to be respectful.....even to the grumpy senior that just peed on the deck pool.

I was about the various versions though it still is true, but no I wasn't about the legal part, guess being a business owner and having people use the name in auctions etc I would find it offensive and undermining, if you are going to make a contract with rules that are indeed not in the Celebrity contract then you should not use their name but your own and not make it like Celebrity was part of it. So if that is too serious so be it I can live with that.

I guess it is no worse than making a child sign a contract to go on a cruise... I would venture than 80% of us would have failed miserably with a contract on our vacations as a child LOL...

Seriously??? :rolleyes: Its not like I am selling the contracts lmao You are really too much!

Oh and BTW You signed a contract w/ Celebrity or any other cruise line that you will follow their rules while on board. Why wouldnt you hold your children accountable to the same thing?

I started this thread, and I can't believe that it is still going. We had an awesome cruise, and Celebrity is now our favorite cruise line.

I am glad you started it. Beleive me there are sooo many parents out there that get the impression Celebrity is not for children/families. That simply is not the case. Like you we love Celebrity and they are our favorite line :)

Some people really NEED to complain about something (or someone) no matter what. It's not kids that they "hate" or bad parents that they "hate" or senior citizens that they "hate" or whatever.

A co-worker just returned from a trip to an adult-only all-inclusive resort because she and her husband needed to "get away" from her child.

• She complains about how rude some of the other guests were - loud, roughhousing in the pool, getting sick in public, butting in line, etc. I was really surprised when she said that one group like to "race" in elevators -- calling elevators, holding them, hitting the "close door" button on other guests, etc -- she referred to it as "juvenile" - but I believe minimum age was either 20 or 21 for the resort and that the group in question was in their 30s and 40s.
  • She complains about how her ds is still out-of-sorts since her MIL refused to keep him on his schedule (MIL took care of a 9MO for 10 days for free for her. And she complains that his bed time is "all messed up" because MIL picked up the GS from daycare 15 minutes later than normal. She pouts because MIL wouldn't change her work schedule for the week! :eek:)

So it appears that a child-free vacation STILL was not perfect.

Rude people are always around. I've seen about the same proportion of poorly behaved kids as I have seen of poorly behaved people of any age.

Some people really NEED to complain about something (or someone) no matter what. It's not kids that they "hate" or bad parents that they "hate" or senior citizens that they "hate" or whatever.

A co-worker just returned from a trip to an adult-only all-inclusive resort because she and her husband needed to "get away" from her child.

• She complains about how rude some of the other guests were - loud, roughhousing in the pool, getting sick in public, butting in line, etc. I was really surprised when she said that one group like to "race" in elevators -- calling elevators, holding them, hitting the "close door" button on other guests, etc -- she referred to it as "juvenile" - but I believe minimum age was either 20 or 21 for the resort and that the group in question was in their 30s and 40s.
  • She complains about how her ds is still out-of-sorts since her MIL refused to keep him on his schedule (MIL took care of a 9MO for 10 days for free for her. And she complains that his bed time is "all messed up" because MIL picked up the GS from daycare 15 minutes later than normal. She pouts because MIL wouldn't change her work schedule for the week! :eek:)

So it appears that a child-free vacation STILL was not perfect.

Rude people are always around. I've seen about the same proportion of poorly behaved kids as I have seen of poorly behaved people of any age.

While this is not relevant to the OP, it is very true.

I heard a saying many years ago that rings more true now than it ever did in my 20s or even 30s for that matter.

"Where ever you go, there you are."

Some people just complain about everything! And the worst offenders have no clue that they are part of this population.

Also, the World According to Garp Syndrome. We all suffer a little bit from it, but I see it played out time and time again on these boards. If I do it, it's okay and perfectly acceptable. If you don't do it, you are flat out wrong or you are nit following the rules. (These folks are silent about all the rules that they don't follow and completely justify not following ones that they don't think matter). It's like an old George Carlin skit.....if you are driving faster than I am, you are a menace to society...if you are driving slower than I am, you are going to cause a wreck!

I recently read a post that reminded me of this....it went something like this....I don't know why anyone would ever have a table in the MDR and only come 3 or 4 times....how rude. Really? What is so rude about choosing a few of the options available on a ship these days (although that type of thinking is a non issue for us....we stopped dining in the MDR a few years ago, and when we did, we always had a table for two.

Relax, enjoy.....life is getting shorter by the minute.

:-)

I was reading about what some had to say about kids on cruises. i am a mother of three and I will be bringing my children with me on our Celebrity cruise in March. I sent off an e-mail to Celebrity stating my disapproval and disappointment with how the Solarium (which is the ONLY INDOOR POOL) is for "ADULTS" only. I pointed out to them that I paid full price for my children for this cruise and that my children will not be able to enjoy the Solarium.

I agree that some children can be overwhelming and boisterous, however, it isnt fair that they are excluded.

I disagree. It is entirely appropriate that there is an adults only pool. Many nicer resorts offer the same thing.

I was reading about what some had to say about kids on cruises. i am a mother of three and I will be bringing my children with me on our Celebrity cruise in March. I sent off an e-mail to Celebrity stating my disapproval and disappointment with how the Solarium (which is the ONLY INDOOR POOL) is for "ADULTS" only. I pointed out to them that I paid full price for my children for this cruise and that my children will not be able to enjoy the Solarium.

I agree that some children can be overwhelming and boisterous, however, it isnt fair that they are excluded.

I disagree. It is entirely appropriate that there is an adults only pool. Many nicer resorts offer the same thing.

Well said. There needs to be an ADULT only area.

Well said. There needs to be an ADULT only area.

IMO posters are missing/skipping a point. How old are the kids? Toddlers, teens or 20+.

When choosing a cruise most people compare itineraries and cruise line atmosphere. X brochure clearly states that solarium is adults only so this should not be a surprise to the poster.

It breaks down to the behavior of the "kids" as well as their parents and the rights of other FULL PAYING Pax.

Disclaimer- my kid is an adult and has been traveling since age 6 months( FF membership at age 2) but I always knew it was my responsiblity to take care of my child.Too often parents take a cruise for an abandoment of their resposnibilities and allow their kids to roam unsupervised at all hours of the day & night.Let's all take a deep breath and remember that we all paid for our vacation and have a right to cruise w/o dealing with OP's inappropriate behavior

Carole

My family originally planned our first cruise for last summer to Alaska on HAL, but were forced to cancel. We switched to celebrity because of smoking policies and because if the attitudes I saw in the cc boards. Many there seemed unwilling to have children assigned to their dinner table etc. They said the staff was welcoming to families, but not the passengers.

I occasionally see posts here from those who would prefer a child-free world , but it is far less often. My DH and I would be less comfortable on some of the "family" lines where the proportion of kids is much higher. I have worked with kids, and prefer not to vacation with unmanaged packs of kids where I automatically start to monitor their safety. We would prefer that our sons' attention be on the ports and our activities as a family rather than on wandering without supervision. We could send them to camp if we wanted to escape parenting responsibilities.

Note: we are choosing select dining to avoid possible child unfriendly table mates.

I admit to being less then thrilled if I were to discover children under, say, age ten assigned to my late seating dinner table.

Ive read the different opinions on kids on a cruise or resort. When I first posted my opinion referring to the adults only in the Solarium I was trying to make a point....put simply I just think that its unfair to "catergorize" all children as misbehaving or running around unsupervised by their parents.

Even though I knew when booking this cruise that this was the case, it doesnt mean that I have to like it. I think its unfair.

Having said that I know that the restriction of my kids (or any kids) in the Solarium wont change and I will find other ways to entertain my kids (not at the youth programs either)

As I stated before, we were all kids at one point in our lives and it is nice to remember to have patience and tolerance and an open mind to say that maybe not all kids behave badly... many adults/seniors can be worse...dont think its not so

Ive read the different opinions on kids on a cruise or resort. When I first posted my opinion referring to the adults only in the Solarium I was trying to make a point....put simply I just think that its unfair to "catergorize" all children as misbehaving or running around unsupervised by their parents.

Even though I knew when booking this cruise that this was the case, it doesnt mean that I have to like it. I think its unfair.

Having said that I know that the restriction of my kids (or any kids) in the Solarium wont change and I will find other ways to entertain my kids (not at the youth programs either)

As I stated before, we were all kids at one point in our lives and it is nice to remember to have patience and tolerance and an open mind to say that maybe not all kids behave badly... many adults/seniors can be worse...dont think its not so

If I recall correctly I do remember reading several other review/threads that have made mention that on colder sailings they have a set time/times that they allow children to use the solarium.

I am quite sure I will be in the minority, but I would be fine w/ that. An hour in the morning & in the afternoon wouldnt be too bad. People who wish to have it an adult only pool could just avoid the solarium those hours.

Hear hear!!

And for the parents that bring them into the Solarium anyways, and then argue with you that its not an adults only area (as happened to us a couple of years ago on the Equinox), you are teaching them that its okay to flaunt the rules and annoy the other passengers as long as you are happy.

These are the same parents who would complain if the adults took over the kids area and restricted their enjoyment.

The adults have and did take over the kids area....the shallow end of the pool is children's but that didn't stop the "oh please don't splash" "oh please be more quiet" "oh please don't swim too close to me" "oh please don't get my hair wet with your kicking to swim" further more, the only hot tub for children, was all adults filling it... "oh you can't use a hot tub it is for adults only" when it was pointed out that it was not, that the others were, did they move? Hardly...:eek: they clucked about us getting in and moaning and groaned as they got out.

When it was pointed out that they were in the children's pool did they stop complaining? Not a chance. We never let the boys in the solarium to swim, but we did use it to get to the OVC on cold days and rainy, they made not a sound just walked with the 6 adults to the cafe, could people have been ruder with their tisking and clucking... probably not. What was sadder is that the solarium was empty 3/4 of the time because all the adults were around the pool chairs complaining about the splashing of the people in the pool during the day and at night it was closed up by 7P because there was no one there so they were already stacking the chairs. :rolleyes:

Amen to that!

If I recall correctly I do remember reading several other review/threads that have made mention that on colder sailings they have a set time/times that they allow children to use the solarium.

I am quite sure I will be in the minority, but I would be fine w/ that. An hour in the morning & in the afternoon wouldnt be too bad. People who wish to have it an adult only pool could just avoid the solarium those hours.

That would have been nice but no they didn't on the last one we did in January....:cool: I am sure there would have been mutiny if they had of...:eek:

I am looking forward to our cruise with my kids. I am gonna make it fun and happy for my family. We are gonna have a great vacation regardless of who is around or whatever they say. I am confident that I have taught my kids well and they know how to be respectful and behave in any situation. As for others, maybe they were rotten kids and were never taught how to treat others with respect, which is why they behave the way they do as adults/seniors. My kids are beautiful and smart and I cant wait to show them off to the world!!

I am going on my first Celebrity cruise in January 2013. I will be taking along my 3 1/2 year old daughter. I have taught her (most of it's just her innate personality, though) manners and to be respectful of others. Sometimes she gets excited (childhood exhuberance) seeing new things, etc, and talks loudly, etc. I calm her down and she's fine. I ensure she doesn't disrupt others' dinners (never have I had to take her from a restaurant due to screaming, throwing things, etc). I'm sure she'll have a great time in the kid club (Fun Factory) on our cruise. She is better behaved than many adults I know.

That being said, I wholeheartedly agree with "adult-only" areas. In fact, certain parts of my home are "adult-only." My office, my bedroom, etc. Unless I invite her in, she is not permitted in these areas. Even people with children need a little "adult" interaction without our little darlings. I hope we can all just "get along" and enjoy our respective cruise vacations! :D

I am going on my first Celebrity cruise in January 2013. I will be taking along my 3 1/2 year old daughter. I have taught her (most of it's just her innate personality, though) manners and to be respectful of others. Sometimes she gets excited (childhood exhuberance) seeing new things, etc, and talks loudly, etc. I calm her down and she's fine. I ensure she doesn't disrupt others' dinners (never have I had to take her from a restaurant due to screaming, throwing things, etc). I'm sure she'll have a great time in the kid club (Fun Factory) on our cruise. She is better behaved than many adults I know.

That being said, I wholeheartedly agree with "adult-only" areas. In fact, certain parts of my home are "adult-only." My office, my bedroom, etc. Unless I invite her in, she is not permitted in these areas. Even people with children need a little "adult" interaction without our little darlings. I hope we can all just "get along" and enjoy our respective cruise vacations! :D

What a sensible mother and what a wonderful post. One of our granddaughters was the same personality and knew how to behave in publiuc from the time she was 3.We had one problem with her on a cruise and she was confined to the cabin to think about it for a few hours, she still remembers it and she is 31.Keep up the good work.Wish there were more parents like you.:cool:

I have taken our grandchildren on Celebrity and they LOVED it! They had a wonderful time and enjoyed all of the activities, both those for children and many of those for adults. We ate in BLU and the Tuscan Grill. I will say that our grandchildren have exception manners and are VERY well behaved. My granddaughter (she was 9) got out of the pool, at one point, because a 12 year old boy was exhibiting very poor behavior. His parents were in the hot tub and he would get in the hot tub and jump off of the edge of the tub into the very crowded pool (this is prohibited). His parents thought it was wonderful! In my opinion I would not welcome "this" child on "any" cruise. He was dangerous and his parents needed some additional brain cells to function. Every other child we encountered were mannerly and well behaved and our grandchildren made many friends. DH and I love children and welcome ALL well behaved, mannerly children. Many children get excited on vacations, parents just have to remember to watch their children. If we do not give them these wonderful experiences now, while they are young, they miss so much. A chance to dress and attend a formal evening is a great experience for young people too. Our grandson was only 8, but we rented him a tux and he was so proud and handsome and watched the adults like a hawk, so that he was sure to behave properly. He stood up, if one of the ladies at the table stood and he held the door for all of us. He "always" takes his hat off when entering a building. . . his parents have taught him well and we are so very proud of both of them.

We have made many friends aboard Celebrity ships and this includes many wonderful "kids". We have sailed Carnival and Royal Caribbean also and can say the same. If I had young children today I would not hesitate to take them on Celebrity, they have great programs for children of all ages.

Teajack - thank you for the kind words. I am trying to raise my daughter (as my parents tried to raise me and my sister) to be a responsible, respectful, contributing (and happy) member of society. She is learning to treat people in the same manner she would like to be treated. When she acts out (very rarely - so far), I need only give her the "stern" look - and she understands what that means. I don't give her "time outs," etc. No need for those - my authoritative voice and consistency in actions/consequences seem to be enough. She knows who is the boss.

To all those Celebrity cruisers who are apprehensive about children, I can assure you that in the event you have us for neighbors, you will not hear anything. For those future tablemates, rest assured my child will not dampen your festivites. She will not be running throughout the ship, throwing food, etc. She will be a well-mannered, delightful young lady whose Mother loves her and loves cruises!:o

I completely understand cruisers who would like to avoid children but honestly I feel like I have B.O. And no one wants to choose me for their dodge ball team. Trying to network on the roll call with young children is very difficult. I'm assuming the average age on my cruise will be SENIOR! Oh well, I'm know we'll have a great time on our cruise. And if anyone has a problem with me bringing my 8 month old on a cruise they are more than welcome to come and chat with me over a glass of Veuve Cliquot. Their paying of course!

I really feel that Celebrity is adult oriented and that is why I choose them. I have no problem admitting that I don't want to spend my vacation in a family oriented atmosphere. Perhaps when kids become adolescents and are able to understand more the concept of cruising they should be allowed.. Just my opinion and not ashamed of it-it is what it is...and I should add that I am not a senior-yet...lol

dogsrule - I respect your opinion but it's neither here nor there given Celebrity welcomes childrens onboard. As I have said before - my child is extremely well-mannered - that is - until someone who doesn't think children should be onboard makes a nasty comment, disapproving look, etc while my child is present - then the gloves come off. :)

All this makes me think of a rather humorous post (from long ago) where the poster said that she and her husband bring their two young children on their cruises. I guess they had been on several cruises and she just didn't understand why they were always seated in the MDR at a table that had other young children.:rolleyes: She said it would be nice if she and her husband and their children could be seated with JUST other adults so they could have adult conversation. :cool:

I'm thinking - am I missing something here?

Archived