Celebrity Cruisers don't like kids

gelo7

Can you imagine if this thread were about how people don't like seniors on cruises because they walk too slow or speak to loud because of hearing loss, or become irritable too quickly because of aches or pains?!:eek:

Or if it were about females because they like to chat and I can't enjoy my dinner because of the constant chatter from the two women at the table beside me :mad:

Or about persons with physical disabilities because the cruiseship is not universally wheelchair accessible and think of the inconvenience of having to accommodate

etc. etc. etc.

Really, it's about tolerance (or intolerance), and if a parent chooses to bring their kids along, more power to them. And don't tell me yeah, but we're talking only about those kids that misbehave, because way more adults misbehave and they aren't being targeted by saying "I'd prefer an adult free cruise".

That is hysterical!! I absolutely love it!! Thanks you actually had me LOL.

I am taking my 4 year old daughter on X in less than 2 weeks. She cruised last year on RCCL and everything went smoothly because we know her limits. She knows the rules, and I don't play as a parent. You act up -- back to the room we go. Responsible parents (key word responsible) try to be as vigilant as possible. We don't want to ruin fellow passengers vacations. But if you hate just the pure sight of kids, then too bad, I can't help you out there. :eek:

I agree with pp's, X is catering to families now too. Like it or not, they are. Kids menus, Kids Fun Factory, and Kid Friendly excursions (I am going on an excursion in St. Maarten that is a carousel ride and gelato. :D If that's not geared towards children, I don't know what is!)

And for the record yes, I did request a private table in the MDR for my family because:

a) I know some people don't want to sit with kids. Completely understandable. I have no problem with that. In fact, I don't blame you. :)

b) I don't want to have to make idle chit chat about something I care less about with you! :rolleyes: I've always asked for private tables since my honeymoon when we were told we were drinking the "devils juice" when enjoying a cocktail at dinner. I kid you not.

This is an interesting thread.

It's funny though...if you have 3 or 4 children of your own and you come out and say that you DON'T want to be around other people's children because you are on vacation from your OWN kids, that's okay.

If you chose not to have children of your own and say that, you are, well, you are called a child-hater.

Anyway, my best friend and I discuss this topic and she has some really great points. She has four children, all planned, and I have none, which was also planned. We are best friends and have been for 20+ years. I was present during the birth of her last two (just to point out the closeness and that we are not "allergic" to children). I am "Aunt Dawn," and my husband is "Uncle Lee." The kids' know nothing else.

Having said that, I would rather not vacation around children. It changes the environment, completely changes the ambience in a New York second, and just their sweet, sometimes high pitched screams/cries/laughter, well, it is just not a substitute for romantic music playing in the background.

What is funny is my best friend SAYS THE SAME THING! She knows she is "immune" to her own chidren's noises but admits that she wouldn't want to sit and listen to anyone else's children if she were traveling just with her husband.

She said the funny thing is--all the people that get really irritated and give you those mean-spirited looks when you bring your six month old baby around to an adult-oriented gathering, and simply cannot understand why everyone isn't just falling head over heals in love with the most adorable/cutest/brightest baby they had ever seen--well, she says, that was YOU before you had kids! I may not be saying it right or correctly, but she has me rolling on the floor when she talks about it.

I have told the story before...we went on an 11 day So. Caribbean Cruise in August. We were assured there wouldn't be that many kids because it was 11 nights and that Celebrity didn't attract many kids---uh....WRONG, well, we walked from $5,000 and got off the first day we docked near land! Two days after we left port, we got off and spent a week in St. Marteen. There were 600+ kids on board and it was a nightmare. Just awful. The t-pool was turned into a kiddie pool and no one could locate any parents to do anything about it. There are so many stories that ultimately led to us getting off the ship, but suffice it to say, we knew the only way to salvage our vacation was to get off and stay off!

One time, we decided we would take a Carnival Cruise (it was on the new Spirit of the Seas and it was a 17 day Panama Canal Cruise). We paid a lot of money for that cruise (whoever said Carnival is cheap, well, they weren't on our cruise). But to this day, it was one of the most beautiful ships we have ever been on and we have been on the Grandeur of the Seas, Vision of the Seas, Splendour of the Seas, Millie (only for 2 days), Souverign of the Seas, Grand Princess, Emerald Princess, Star Princess, Dawn Princess, Diamond Princess, and the Veendam. So we have seen a few ships. I still remember the most handsome young man, maybe around 12 years old, we were seated next to him during dinner. He was so well behaved. And we didn't mind this one bit. My husband often spoke to the young man and the young man shared his cruise stories. There were probably quite a few kids on board, but because Carnival is prepared for a massive amount of children, you really don't have to worry about kids taking over adult areas.

I completely agree (and have for some time now) that there should be a designated family room in the MDR. Certainly families wouldn't mind dining with other families....so why not make a designated room with a little soundproofing in it so the kids don't have to be sushed every five minutes and if they get up and want to stretch their legs a bit and make a little noise, who cares?

We just stayed at the Hilton Paris-ADT in November. Twice, we went down to breakfast in the restaurant and were seated next to kids. We asked to be moved. The restaurant is HUGE, but for some unknown reason, the families with kids were scattered in just about every corner of the restaurant. Each nook that appeared to be nice, quiet and romantic, had kids seated there and they were running, jumping, hollering, and really being loud (they were obviously bored). We didn't stay...we just left the hotel and went elsewhere for breakfast (even though it was free for us in the hotel restaurant). I was thinking the same thing there....as big as that restaurant was, why in the world wouldn't they have a designated area so kids can be kids.

I don't mind well-mannered kids anywhere I am...but at the same time, I don't want to be sitting right next to a family that has a few kids at the dinner table, making all the regular kid noises that kids make. I don't want to hear the screeching and really loud talking and shouting they do so mom can hear what they have to say over their brother/sister/dad. I want to spend time with my husband and that is just not an environment we choose to spend our time.

Before you flame me, remember, my best friend with 4 of her own says the same thing!

Yes, we get a table for 2...have for nearly 20 years. And if we are seated near very young children that aren't even old enough to have learned "manners," well, I just don't want to be part of the backdrop where they are being taught what is acceptable or not and belting out screams because they need their diaper changed or, well, because they feel like it. I'll take the older, more well-mannered ones--they don't bother us a bit. It's just the decibel level of the younger ones change our entire atmosphere so we often exercise our other dining options when that happens. We don't feel like we "own" the ship. Aren't alternative restaurants great?

That is one reason we are exciting about trying the Aqua Class cabins. If you are only allowed to have 2 in a cabin, I'm thinking there is a lot less likelihood of having neighbors with multiple children on either side of us. We have had this before and the rooms are just not built to buffer this type of noise. I am not saying there won't be children in Blu (or the Aqua Class cabins), but I think the likelihood of having a LOT of children running around all over the restaurant is far less than in the MDR.

We met a woman on our last cruise that told us she hadn't seen her 6 and 8 year old for nearly 8 hours. She had no idea where they were or what they were doing, but she felt entirely "safe" and that he was in good hands because he couldn't get off the ship!

:)

To me, children are no different from other human beings. If they are pleasant and polite, I like them. If they are unruly I don't like them. And I resent their parents for allowing the bad behavior.

Now thats a good comment. And I for one do not, and will not hesitate to say something to the child or the adult if theres a problem.

I don't mind when children are there as long as I don't have to hear them scream, cry or whine. It seems some people don't believe in parenting while on vacation.

There were a few children on our X cruise. They were very well behaved.

Here is the letter I made up if anyone else wants to try it with their tweens/teens. Of course you can add or remove anything that doesnt pertain for your family.

__________________, the undersigned, agree to the terms of this contract allowing me the privilege to be aboard the ship, Celebrity Summit, without adult supervision. I understand there are rules of the ship which must be obeyed at all times. Failure to obey the rules of the ship will result in an immediate termination of this contract and suspension of all non-adult supervision privileges.

Celebrity Cruises Rules for non-adult supervision privileges:

• Do not leave the ship without a parent or adult.

• No one else is to enter our cabins.

• Treat all staff with respect.

• You are expected to be well mannered at all times. Please, thank you, no thank you, etc… Please hold doors open for adults, stand back allowing people to exit the elevators before entering, etc…

• Floors are for walking upon/standing upon. Chairs, tables, railings, etc are not. Do not climb onto / stand upon anything that is not designed to be stood upon. Do not climb onto / stand upon anything that is a restricted area.

• Do not go into any restricted areas or Celebrity staff areas.

• Do not throw ANYTHING overboard the ship.

• Inside voices in the hallways between the hours of 8pm-9am (Regular voices may be used around the cabins during the other hours)

• You are not to enter any cabins other than ours. (Unless you are given prior approval).

• Do not go out onto balcony w/ out a parent/adult present.

• If you are in your cabin alone – hang the do not disturb sign on the door. This should prevent any Celebrity employee from entering. Please ensure you remove it when you leave the room.

• Please carry your SeaPass card with you at all times. Guard it as you would cash$$.

• Your SeaPass is tied to our credit card. It is to be used only by you. You have a budget of $_____. This amount is expected to last you the entire cruise. You are not to you exceed this budget without prior approval. (Please keep all receipts)

• If you lose your Seapass you are to immediately notify one of us.

• You are not to drink any beverage unless it is handed to you by a family member or a Celebrity staff member.

• You are not to drink from anything you have left out of your sight. Some people have been known to slip drugs into other people’s drinks.

• We expect to know where you are on the ship. We will use notes in our cabin to let each other know where we can be found.

• You are not to loiter or play in the stairwells, hallways, or elevators. Activities such as “knock and run”, pressing all the buttons in elevator, calling other cabins to hang up will not be tolerated.

• The curfew will be decided on each day. It will vary depending on the organized activities that are planned on the ship for the teens, and what time we need to start the next day.

• You will be expected to be washed and dressed for dinner 15 minutes before our allotted dining time of _______. You must be on time to be courteous to other guests who are dining at the same table.

• If you order room service, you must tip the delivery person. We will provide a small amount of money for this use only. (please do not order more food than you plan on eating)

• There will be pre arranged check-in times if for some reason you miss one of these you will lose your privileges for the following 24 hours. This means that you must stay with us or in your cabin.

• Absolutely no visiting upper/open deck areas in the evening w/ out parent/adult supervision

• Please stay out of adult only pools & Jacuzzis

• While swimming please be courteous no diving, belly flops, cannon balls, splashing, etc…

• Please make good use of hand sanitizing stations on the ship. Before eating all meals and snacks please sanitize your hands.

By signing this contract I agree to the follow all above said rules.Failure to obey the rules of the ship will result in an immediate termination of this contract and suspension of all non-adult supervision privileges.

Parent/Guardian_______________________________ Date_________

Minor Passenger_______________________________ Date_________

I love this idea, and I'm not even cruising with kids!

Can you imagine if this thread were about how people don't like seniors on cruises because they walk too slow or speak to loud because of hearing loss, or become irritable too quickly because of aches or pains?!:eek:

Or if it were about females because they like to chat and I can't enjoy my dinner because of the constant chatter from the two women at the table beside me :mad:

Or about persons with physical disabilities because the cruiseship is not universally wheelchair accessible and think of the inconvenience of having to accommodate

etc. etc. etc.

Really, it's about tolerance (or intolerance), and if a parent chooses to bring their kids along, more power to them. And don't tell me yeah, but we're talking only about those kids that misbehave, because way more adults misbehave and they aren't being targeted by saying "I'd prefer an adult free cruise".

Yep yep and Yep totally agree!

In all honesty when we were getting ready to go on our cruise ( last month) I had to repeatedly warn the others in my party about how much of the cruise populous was going to be well over 70, and it was, but I would never say they shouldn't be one there even when they pushed ahead in line, walked away with two sets of tongs ( or didn't use them at all) at the bread station to pick their choices out, so no one else could get anything, got in line then when it was their turn let 4-5 other people "in" of the same age(their friends) to get theirs too( primarily the egg station, the ice cream machine and the Mast grill. My grandsons would notice the budging, and say Nana that is not good cruise manners.

When my grandsons were in the children's pool( yes it was definitely the children's) they began to play and splash and all around the edge were many older people who complained, I politely said " It IS the children's pool where do you expect them to splash?" many didn't realize that and moved others said it was the shallow end where they didn't go in to deep water so they continued to complain, but I told the DGS to continue to play as it really was their side of the pool, there is a hot tub for the Children guess who took it over?? When we went to get in they were all up in arms until I said again politely.... Well it is the children's tub, there are three others and 4 more in the solarium ( course they were all full too guess who with?)

I got many compliments o the behavior of my grandsons, and they were the hit of the formal nights in their tuxedos, the oldest coming around ( age 8) to help me be seated by attending to my chair!

I never had a drunk child be rude, I never had a child push in to the elevator that was already full( because we can squeeze in a few more) I never had a child run me over with a scooter, hit me in the foot with a wheelchair, place a cane on my foot in the elevator, save a row of seats for others, hog a pool chair, or give me a dirty look because I was an adult in their space!

It takes all kinds to make the world and tolerance is the key, so should I request that there be a no elderly policy? a no drunks policy( remember it was not a child that peed on deck while in a chair, in that infamous video and sit their exposed for what 20 minutes?) I taught my DGS and the rest of my family to respect all ages, period, but respect goes both ways. That is what it all comes down to respect. Not privilege, not age, not anti /pro children anti/pro senior, but respect and that can be bad in any age, the parent that doesn't care, the drinker that doesn't think they should, the elderly that think they are owed more for their age( haven't figured out why) it all comes down to respect. ;)

I would not stop cruising for any of it, I go to have a great time and if I choose to go with children with me(even babies) then who is anyone to say otherwise? If I choose to go with a scooter who is to say other wise? Obnoxious knows no age boundaries.... neither does rude or disrespect.... just sayin':rolleyes:

Again when you choose to cruise you choose to share your vacation with 2000+ others so if that is what you want is alone time or adult only time or us time then maybe being on a enclosed space like cruising is just really not for you..... after all they have to share with you too...

My kids are pretty well behaved but I think all kids get a little silly/mischievous at times. To try and combat that I made up list of rules/guidlines, printed it out on Celebrity letter head. I told my older boys that Celebrity Cruise line has a list of "rules" that all minors under 18 needed to read and sign before they were allowed to board.

We sat down as a family a few weeks before our sailing and read over the "rules" We also discussed how there was a lot of security in the ways of video cameras all over the ship and that they would need to be on their absolute best behavior. Basically said the eye in the sky was watching them all the time and that we would know if they were misbehaving.

It worked perfectly! I was so pleased w/ how well their behavior was on the cruise.

Here is the letter I made up if anyone else wants to try it with their tweens/teens. Of course you can add or remove anything that doesnt pertain for your family.

__________________, the undersigned, agree to the terms of this contract allowing me the privilege to be aboard the ship, Celebrity Summit, without adult supervision. I understand there are rules of the ship which must be obeyed at all times. Failure to obey the rules of the ship will result in an immediate termination of this contract and suspension of all non-adult supervision privileges.

Celebrity Cruises Rules for non-adult supervision privileges:

• Do not leave the ship without a parent or adult.

• No one else is to enter our cabins.

• Treat all staff with respect.

• You are expected to be well mannered at all times. Please, thank you, no thank you, etc… Please hold doors open for adults, stand back allowing people to exit the elevators before entering, etc…

• Floors are for walking upon/standing upon. Chairs, tables, railings, etc are not. Do not climb onto / stand upon anything that is not designed to be stood upon. Do not climb onto / stand upon anything that is a restricted area.

• Do not go into any restricted areas or Celebrity staff areas.

• Do not throw ANYTHING overboard the ship.

• Inside voices in the hallways between the hours of 8pm-9am (Regular voices may be used around the cabins during the other hours)

• You are not to enter any cabins other than ours. (Unless you are given prior approval).

• Do not go out onto balcony w/ out a parent/adult present.

• If you are in your cabin alone – hang the do not disturb sign on the door. This should prevent any Celebrity employee from entering. Please ensure you remove it when you leave the room.

• Please carry your SeaPass card with you at all times. Guard it as you would cash$$.

• Your SeaPass is tied to our credit card. It is to be used only by you. You have a budget of $_____. This amount is expected to last you the entire cruise. You are not to you exceed this budget without prior approval. (Please keep all receipts)

• If you lose your Seapass you are to immediately notify one of us.

• You are not to drink any beverage unless it is handed to you by a family member or a Celebrity staff member.

• You are not to drink from anything you have left out of your sight. Some people have been known to slip drugs into other people’s drinks.

• We expect to know where you are on the ship. We will use notes in our cabin to let each other know where we can be found.

• You are not to loiter or play in the stairwells, hallways, or elevators. Activities such as “knock and run”, pressing all the buttons in elevator, calling other cabins to hang up will not be tolerated.

• The curfew will be decided on each day. It will vary depending on the organized activities that are planned on the ship for the teens, and what time we need to start the next day.

• You will be expected to be washed and dressed for dinner 15 minutes before our allotted dining time of _______. You must be on time to be courteous to other guests who are dining at the same table.

• If you order room service, you must tip the delivery person. We will provide a small amount of money for this use only. (please do not order more food than you plan on eating)

• There will be pre arranged check-in times if for some reason you miss one of these you will lose your privileges for the following 24 hours. This means that you must stay with us or in your cabin.

• Absolutely no visiting upper/open deck areas in the evening w/ out parent/adult supervision

• Please stay out of adult only pools & Jacuzzis

• While swimming please be courteous no diving, belly flops, cannon balls, splashing, etc…

• Please make good use of hand sanitizing stations on the ship. Before eating all meals and snacks please sanitize your hands.

By signing this contract I agree to the follow all above said rules.Failure to obey the rules of the ship will result in an immediate termination of this contract and suspension of all non-adult supervision privileges.

Parent/Guardian_______________________________ Date_________

Minor Passenger_______________________________ Date_________

Now where is the adult version and the senior version??? Just sayin' it goes for all ages.... :rolleyes: Oh and just for the record I guess I understand the idea but not the lie to the means, especially on a business's letterhead that I had no legal right to use.... if it were my business's letter head I would be perturbed... why not just be honest and say it was YOUR contract with your children?

Now where is the adult version and the senior version??? Just sayin' it goes for all ages.... :rolleyes: Oh and just for the record I guess I understand the idea but not the lie to the means, especially on a business's letterhead that I had no legal right to use.... if it were my business's letter head I would be perturbed... why not just be honest and say it was YOUR contract with your children?

If you actually read the contract it is very obvious it was our contract as well. The kids knew that hence lines like Do not enter anyone else's cabins but ours, your sea pass is linked to our credit card. This was given to 10, 12, & a 13 year old who were able to realize that.

I dont really see their being a lie involved at all in the contract. This quote is taken from Celebrity's website

1. When the guest's conduct creates an unreasonable risk of offense or annoyance to other guest.

I'd say most of the stuff listed would be an annoyance to other guest...but thats just my interpretation.

Also it is not my job to make a contract for adults or seniors, I am responsible for my actions and the actions of my children. We thought it was important before boarding a cruise that we go over what was and was not acceptable. You may not think that is necissary. To each their own. :)

Yep yep and Yep totally agree!

In all honesty when we were getting ready to go on our cruise ( last month) I had to repeatedly warn the others in my party about how much of the cruise populous was going to be well over 70, and it was, but I would never say they shouldn't be one there even when they pushed ahead in line, walked away with two sets of tongs ( or didn't use them at all) at the bread station to pick their choices out, so no one else could get anything, got in line then when it was their turn let 4-5 other people "in" of the same age(their friends) to get theirs too( primarily the egg station, the ice cream machine and the Mast grill.....

It takes all kinds to make the world and tolerance is the key, so should I request that there be a no elderly policy? a no drunks policy( remember it was not a child that peed on deck while in a chair, in that infamous video and sit their exposed for what 20 minutes?) I taught my DGS and the rest of my family to respect all ages, period, but respect goes both ways. That is what it all comes down to respect. Not privilege, not age, not anti /pro children anti/pro senior, but respect and that can be bad in any age, the parent that doesn't care, the drinker that doesn't think they should, the elderly that think they are owed more for their age( haven't figured out why) it all comes down to respect. ;)

While I agree with some the points made in your post, but the "so should I request that there be a no elderly policy?" is kind of ridiculous because anyone that has been on a couple cruises realizes that without seniors, THERE WOULD BE NO CRUISES!!!!

If your post was about a recent experience at Disneyland or some park that is geared specifically toward children, I would get it.

But you have to understand, the typical cruise is not marketed for children. That is why Disney Cruiseline does so well!!!!

So while I understand your frustration, it is not a good analogy given that when you think of a "cruise," you are not thinking, "wow...great place to take my kids (like you would when you were talking about Disneyland or Legoland).

I'm not saying there shouldn't be mutual respect. And I think it was spot-on that you mentioned that "this IS the kid's pool." That was perfectly legit and for the folks that didn't appreciate the splashing at the kid's pool either needed to move or get wet. I'm w/you 100%. And it doesn't sound like your kids are the rude children that run amuck.

When people talk about disappointing or disrespectful passengers, be it children or seniors, it is the small percentage of people that either feel entitled, don't know better, don't really care, never had good role models or have bad ones....but it is really the small percentage.

I don't mind kids at all...but when a 9 mo. old baby screams the entire time they sit down in the MDR and the parents just sit there the whole time and carry on like nothing is going on and slowly but surely, it is really inappropriate. For the parents that are on top of this and one of them gets up and removes the screaming child from the dinner table, I have ZERO issues and I applaud them.

It is about respect, no matter how you slice it.

:)

As a general rule, I have found children on cruises we have been on to be more polite than many of the senior citizens...of which I am close to being one. I much prefer the normal "noise" of children being children than adults complaining about everything on the ship, breaking line in the buffet and elevator, and thinking the world owes them something.

As a general rule, I have found children on cruises we have been on to be more polite than many of the senior citizens...of which I am close to being one. I much prefer the normal "noise" of children being children than adults complaining about everything on the ship, breaking line in the buffet and elevator, and thinking the world owes them something.

actually senior citizens are the best behaved.Parents of the kids worse by a landslide

:cj

actually senior citizens are the best behaved.Parents of the kids worse by a landslide

:cj

If indeed as stated in the other post that "without seniors there would be no cruises" how could what you have stated possibly be true? the percentages of elder vs parent/child has got to be 10 to 1 so it would only be prudent that seniors would indeed be more often badly behaved by sheer numbers. :o. to be a landslide(not that I think or agree with that.)

That said, I am not far from being a senior, ( 58 and counting) and yes I did have my grandsons who behaved well, we had a saying called cruise manners that we began over 2 years ago that we applied in restaurants and stores that would become habit for them ( they were 4&6 at the time we started) and the other was "cruise rude, stay in room" which if we said that they knew that they were in the zone for room time..(aka time out), there were a few times when it was used with the youngest (now 6) for meltdowns as he is a bit OCD by diagnosis, but over all they did very well, and we did get compliments about them often, but they were not perfect, we taught them that they had to respect that it was a shared vacation with 2000+ other people who also wanted to enjoy their time on the ship.

Most of the time they were in the Fun factory because that is where they wanted to be, I literally had to visit them :D for lunch and dinner they loved it there so much. All the children in there were well behaved, played well and had fun.

I would not believe that an all senior cruise or all this or that cruise was in order, it was a comparison to an all adult cruise, the very adults that were once children and will be seniors. The child that cruises today will be the reason the senior will still have great prices in the future, as they will have grown up knowing what a great thing it is!

As far as being a parent or childless, I have one of each in my life, one daughter is a parent the other chose not to, and of course she dotes on her nephews and does not hate children, but she also doesn't understand that if being a childless couple, why you would be so against children on a cruise as seh states "mom I have plenty of alone and romantic time with my husband everyday why would I need to go on a cruise for it, personally, I don't worry about it" :rolleyes: So from the mouth of a "not wanting to have children" I too have plenty of alone and romantic time with my husband as the girls are in their 30's and married so I too don't espect it on a cruise with 2000+ others around. I get romance everyday. MBJM:p?

Unfortunately I have to agree...:(

I was reading about what some had to say about kids on cruises. i am a mother of three and I will be bringing my children with me on our Celebrity cruise in March. I sent off an e-mail to Celebrity stating my disapproval and disappointment with how the Solarium (which is the ONLY INDOOR POOL) is for "ADULTS" only. I pointed out to them that I paid full price for my children for this cruise and that my children will not be able to enjoy the Solarium.

I agree that some children can be overwhelming and boisterous, however, it isnt fair that they are excluded. Might I add that some ADULTS act worse than children at times.

Anyways, seeing as how the first couple of sea days will not be appropriate for us to go and enjoy the outdoor pool, I am stuck with having to find alternative activites for my kids.

In my email I was STRONG to suggest that perhaps a better solution instead of alienating the children altogether were to split half the pool for the children and the other half for the adults.

Shall we remember that we were ALL CHILDREN at one point in our lives and that if we teach our children they can grow to become bright, intelligent and respectful adults. What message are we sending to our kids that are our future??

Ditto...and lets not forget the scooter "hit and run" incidences.

.....As far as being a parent or childless, I have one of each in my life, one daughter is a parent the other chose not to, and of course she dotes on her nephews and does not hate children, but she also doesn't understand that if being a childless couple, why you would be so against children on a cruise as seh states "mom I have plenty of alone and romantic time with my husband everyday why would I need to go on a cruise for it, personally, I don't worry about it" :rolleyes: So from the mouth of a "not wanting to have children" I too have plenty of alone and romantic time with my husband as the girls are in their 30's and married so I too don't espect it on a cruise with 2000+ others around. I get romance everyday. MBJM:p?

While I appreciate you sharing your childless daughter's position about having plenty of romantic time at home and why would she want it on a cruise, that's just one more person's opinion. It counts but it doesn't carry any more weight than someone on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Again, I don't think anyone says they don't think kids should be on cruises....the ones that stick out in our minds are the ones that have parents that don't know better!

And don't forget, like my best friend with 4 kids says, the parents that are all upset that everyone doesn't fall head over heels in love with their kid(s) were the same people giving the dirty looks at the screaming baby just a year or so BK (before they had kids).

Most people I know, w/or w/out kids don't want to sit next to screaming babies ANYWHERE....restaurant in their neghborhood, their church, or anywhere else...some say listening to someone else's kids scream is way more difficult than hearing your own.....so why would it be different on a cruise? It doesn't really have a whole lot to do with the average age on a cruise ship.....just that people plan and save all year long for a lousy week or two away from their hectic schedules, and they would prefer not to be within earshot of a screaming child. If that is not you and/or would never let your child just throw a tantrum and stand back and watch, then none of these threads will offend those type of parents.

:-)

I was reading about what some had to say about kids on cruises. i am a mother of three and I will be bringing my children with me on our Celebrity cruise in March. I sent off an e-mail to Celebrity stating my disapproval and disappointment with how the Solarium (which is the ONLY INDOOR POOL) is for "ADULTS" only. I pointed out to them that I paid full price for my children for this cruise and that my children will not be able to enjoy the Solarium.

I agree that some children can be overwhelming and boisterous, however, it isnt fair that they are excluded. Might I add that some ADULTS act worse than children at times.

Anyways, seeing as how the first couple of sea days will not be appropriate for us to go and enjoy the outdoor pool, I am stuck with having to find alternative activites for my kids.

In my email I was STRONG to suggest that perhaps a better solution instead of alienating the children altogether were to split half the pool for the children and the other half for the adults.

Shall we remember that we were ALL CHILDREN at one point in our lives and that if we teach our children they can grow to become bright, intelligent and respectful adults. What message are we sending to our kids that are our future??

I was very happy there was an adult only area. Splitting the pool in half would not stop all the noise children generally make when they play. Other full paying passengers appreciate not having to deal with that. Probably why they have the outside pool for the kids. Their noise won't be inclosed and echoing inside the indoor pool.

Personally I would never go on a disney cruise. There would just be to many kids around for me to enjoy it. However it's good there is a cruise line who caters to children. :)

I am going to just laugh it off and know you were just making a "funny."

If not, me thinks you take yourself a little too seriously.....no legal right to use....OMG.

Anyway, kudos to the author of that contract! Everyone knows kids respond better to rules set by ANYONE OTHER than their own parents!

Great job....I would be DELIGHTED to have you and your family next to us anywhere on a cruise ship!

You must have had some pretty good role models.

We frequently enjoy 3-generation cruises on Celebrity; and in fact, our 4-year-old grandson is already elite. That being said, I must say our grandchildren (ages 4-13) actually prefer RCI because there are generally more kids on board and more activities geared for their age group. I certainly don't think Celebrity cruisers are opposed to kids, but I do feel other lines cater more to families.

I am going to just laugh it off and know you were just making a "funny."

If not, me thinks you take yourself a little too seriously.....no legal right to use....OMG.

Anyway, kudos to the author of that contract! Everyone knows kids respond better to rules set by ANYONE OTHER than their own parents!

Great job....I would be DELIGHTED to have you and your family next to us anywhere on a cruise ship!

You must have had some pretty good role models.

I was about the various versions though it still is true, but no I wasn't about the legal part, guess being a business owner and having people use the name in auctions etc I would find it offensive and undermining, if you are going to make a contract with rules that are indeed not in the Celebrity contract then you should not use their name but your own and not make it like Celebrity was part of it. So if that is too serious so be it I can live with that.

I guess it is no worse than making a child sign a contract to go on a cruise... I would venture than 80% of us would have failed miserably with a contract on our vacations as a child LOL...

My mother had a wonderful expression in regards to how people feel about others parenting skills....."If we all raised each others children we would all have perfect children wouldn't we?? Because we all know how to do it better than the other!"

I have been in rooms with screaming children and stores and restaurants etc. I just put it down to possibly a tired child in need of a nap or a tired parent in need of one too... ;).

That in order to enjoy adult priviliges, they must become respectful adults. They must be able to exercise self control, and delay gratification. They must be able to be considerate of others.

That in order to enjoy adult priviliges, they must become respectful adults. They must be able to exercise self control, and delay gratification. They must be able to be considerate of others.

Hear hear!!

And for the parents that bring them into the Solarium anyways, and then argue with you that its not an adults only area (as happened to us a couple of years ago on the Equinox), you are teaching them that its okay to flaunt the rules and annoy the other passengers as long as you are happy.

These are the same parents who would complain if the adults took over the kids area and restricted their enjoyment.

Archived