gelo7

I assume you mean the outdoor pool :)

If so, then I will stay out of:

1- The ladies room

2- The Fun Factory

3- The teens program

4- The crew lounge

5- Your cabin

I would hope that I would be tossed out of any one of these, whether I felt that I had a right to be there or not. :)

Well played Mr. Julius, well played.

FIXIT2010 - Sorry - ain't gonna happen. My child's cruise fare is no less than anyone else's. As such, I will gladly take her anywhere in the ship that Celebrity allows and I deem appropriate for a child her age. She will NOT be "stuck" in the kids' area the entire cruise. Get used to it - there might/will be children on your cruise. If you don't like it, stay in your cabin and order room service. :)

There is a thread on the Carnival board about many cruisers not wanting kids on Cruises. It was started on March 22, and it already has over 450 posts. A few of those posts intimated that people that sail Celebrity really don't like to see kids cruising. We are taking our first Celebrity cruise a week from today, please say that it isn't so.

Most people associate kids with undisciplined running around accompanied by loud screaming and urinating in the pools. Give you three guesses as to my opinion :mad:

A number of people have commented that children don't enjoy adult oriented activities so why take them. One thing I have learned between raising our daughter, who is now married, and taking cruises, which include our grandchildren, that there are many experiences in life that can be appreciated at different levels.

When my daughter was only four years old, we were living in Manhattan and had out of town guests who wanted to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. So we reluctantly took our daughter with us thinking she would be so bored. In every room we entered at the museum, I asked her to look at each painting and then decide which one she liked best and why. To my surprise she had a wonderful time at the museum and made some interesting observations. While she obviously didn't appreciate that museum the way an adult would, she loved the art game I created for her.

A similar analogy can be made for cruising. Earlier this year when my daughter's family was getting their luggage after a cruise, my three year old granddaughter's face lit up when she saw someone she met during the cruise saying "That is my new friend" :)

FIXIT2010 - Sorry - ain't gonna happen. My child's cruise fare is no less than anyone else's. As such, I will gladly take her anywhere in the ship that Celebrity allows and I deem appropriate for a child her age. She will NOT be "stuck" in the kids' area the entire cruise. Get used to it - there might/will be children on your cruise. If you don't like it, stay in your cabin and order room service. :)

Anyone should be allowed to go anywhere that is permitted if they follow the rules. It's the people who think the rules are made for everyone but them and are disrespectful that I don't like to cruise with. Age doesn't matter. And a bad attitude should stay home also.

Sounds like some of the posters on this thread need to check out Holland America Line. The "kids" on those ships can be in their 40's.

Just as you feel that some posters should check out Holland American, I'm sure they would feel that others need to check out Disney Cruise Line. It really goes both ways, doesn't it.

Anyone should be allowed to go anywhere that is permitted if they follow the rules. It's the people who think the rules are made for everyone but them and are disrespectful that I don't like to cruise with. Age doesn't matter. And a bad attitude should stay home also.

Amen! I don't think many have said they don't want children everywhere on the ship that is not "adults only", they are saying please, please watch your children and don't allow them to run amuck unsupervised.

Everyone pays for their cruise and expects to have a great time. Just as I am sure that it is not fun for an adult to be run over by a child or having to listen to a screaming child when they are trying to enjoy their dinner. It is not fun for a child to hear grumpy people snarking at them or adults giving them dirty looks. There is a real easy solution so that everyone can have a great time. It is called respect. Those with children should respect the rules (the adults only areas or no children in the pools unless potty trained, etc.) and teach their children good behavior when in public areas. The adults need to respect and realize that children will be children (they are going to make mistakes) and the adults need to show some restraint and remember when they were young or their children were young. If the children's parents are watching them and explain to them what they have done is wrong so they won't do it again and the adults let the small things slide, everyone should be able to have an enjoyable vacation. And there is certainly nothing wrong with and adult complimenting a child on their good behavior, you would be amazed what kind of smile will come to their face.

And if none of this works, instead of fighting or making rude comments, if an adult is making your child or you uncomfortable with their comments or a child or children is/are bothering you or is in the position to hurt themselves or someone else, talk to a crew member about it and let them sort out who is right and who is wrong; neither party should want a child to see that fighting about something or making rude comments is okay to do.

I really don't understand something. If you have little kids and you want to take them on a cruise, why would you book a cruise that you are already complaining about the rules for where and when your child might be allowed? :confused:

I happen to like children, raised 2 of my own and hope one day to take the GKs on a cruise. Will I sail Celebrity with them? Probably not, RCCL seems more appropriate to me. Why do you chose Celebrity when you're already annoyed that they will not be allowed in the Solarium? Not expected at late seating dinner, banned from some venues? If they are well behaved then great, I look forward to taking excursions with them, eating next to them in the buffet, sitting next to them during the show, etc. Kids are kids and if well behaved are a treasure to be with, if not, don't be surprised to get 'Stink eye' when they are around.

BTW, I have the same attitude towards adults that can't behave and wish I could send some of them to timeout!:)

Have you ever tried to relax and read a book when there are kids running around screaming "aaaaaahhhhh" and "eeeek" all day?

There needs to be child free zones on a ship to get some peace. Like wise there needs to be child only zones (with supervision).

If your kid is buzzing around me while I am trying to read and is behaving inappropriately and you are the kind of parent who thinks they can behave as they like, then be prepared for someone to ask you to control them. Infact probably best you do teach them boundaries before they get their first ASBO.

FIXIT2010 - no one is saying there shouldn't be "adult only" and "children only" zones. However, if you're reading in an area that is co-ed (so to speak), be prepared to see and hear (at reasonable, appropriate levels) children. Most children are not mute and do speak from time to time. :) Now - if you're in an adult-only area and there is a babying screaming - that's different and you have every right to ask the parent to remove the child or notify someone to ask them to leave. Just don't expect everyone in all access areas to prescribe to your desired level of quiet.

Have you ever tried to relax and read a book when there are kids running around screaming "aaaaaahhhhh" and "eeeek" all day?

There needs to be child free zones on a ship to get some peace. Like wise there needs to be child only zones (with supervision).

If your kid is buzzing around me while I am trying to read and is behaving inappropriately and you are the kind of parent who thinks they can behave as they like, then be prepared for someone to ask you to control them. Infact probably best you do teach them boundaries before they get their first ASBO.

Simple solution.

Book longer cruises. The longer the cruise, the less children will be onboard. And don't book a cruise during school vacation periods.

FIXIT2010 - we no longer live in the Victorian era - get used to it.:p

And what era do we live in may I ask? But your general responce and demeaner reminds me of a quote by Henry Adams: "Nothing in education is so astonishing as the amount of ignorance it accumulates in the form of inert facts".

.:cool:

If you are bringing kids, stick them in the kids area until your cruise ends.

AND

If there is one thing worse than a noisy screaming child, its a spoilt noisy screaming child. All I want is some peace and quiet on deck. The Victorians had it right with "children should be seen an not heard".

Been following this thread for a few days. Here are my thoughts. I think it is a generational thing. Folks my parents age (mid to late 50s) didnt really do much travelling with their kids. They typically had larger families and did more local travel.

With my peers (early 30s) many of us have limited the number of children we are having or delayed having kids until we could afford a more affluent lifestyle. Travelling is something I have always enjoyed. We took a hiatus from when my son was born until he was about 4. During that time we did local road trips to the beach etc. But now that he is properly mannered we are more comforable taking him on nicer trips. He enjoys the experience in his own way and we make time for child centered activities.

Of course we are mindful of the rules whether on a cruise or land vacation. But I completely disagree with "dumping" him in the kiddie area just so others don't have to look at him. I also want to interact with him and haven't required his silence during our trip.

We are going on a cruise while school is in session (due to a late birthday our son has not yet started school) and we anticipate a lot less kids than our prior cruise. He has been coached that there won't be many children on board and that he needs to be mindful of his inside voice. I will take extra care to insure he doesn't disturb anyone else's trip.

We paid a pretty penny for this trip and won't be bullied. Very much looking forward to it.

A number of people have commented that children don't enjoy adult oriented activities so why take them. One thing I have learned between raising our daughter, who is now married, and taking cruises, which include our grandchildren, that there are many experiences in life that can be appreciated at different levels.

When my daughter was only four years old, we were living in Manhattan and had out of town guests who wanted to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. So we reluctantly took our daughter with us thinking she would be so bored. In every room we entered at the museum, I asked her to look at each painting and then decide which one she liked best and why. To my surprise she had a wonderful time at the museum and made some interesting observations. While she obviously didn't appreciate that museum the way an adult would, she loved the art game I created for her.

A similar analogy can be made for cruising. Earlier this year when my daughter's family was getting their luggage after a cruise, my three year old granddaughter's face lit up when she saw someone she met during the cruise saying "That is my new friend" :)

I absolutely agree. My daughter is 5 years old and has been on a Norwegian Fjords cruise (where she was one of only 10 children on board) and to Australia (land based trip). On both occassions she surprised us with her observations and the experiences enriched her beyond anything we could've hoped for.

She loves looking at the photographs of both holidays and looks forward to the Med cruise we have booked in July on Silhouette. Earlier she was drawing the Italian flag as we are leaving from Venice. I have also showed her a You Tube video of a Gondola and told her about Venice.

I will not stop travelling with my children (my son is only 2 and has only been to Australia) for the enriching experience that travel gives them. Yes, they are well behaved but they also have moments of exuberance and sheer joy - which means these times are louder than others. But we will always be there to check on them.

Don't assume that all children are the same!

For those of you "appalled" at the rule pretaining to no children in adult only pool, you knew that going in to this. It's explained very well in several locations that there is a solarium pool for adults only. Now that you went ahead and booked this cruise, you are appalled at the rule? I'm sure anyone with an ounce of sense could figure out that in late winter/early spring outdoor pools out of New Jersey would be a problem. Why not book a cruise out of Florida? Area's that are open to everyone are fine, although it brings to mind a saying I was taught....your rights stop where mine begin...so if children are not being overly loud are inconsiderate there should not be a problem with them in most areas. Of course there's going to be splashing in a pool, but not in someones face. Of course a child might drop or even throw a cracker at dinner, but not at someone. Get my drift....And adult only areas are just that, just as R rated movies are limited to certain ages, certain amusement rides are limited to certain heights, you don't get to circumvent the rules because you are appalled.

I have been reading this thread for the last two days...I read and write this with great sadness, as it is a commentary on our society in general. Extremes on both sides of the issue and very little, if any, willingness to meet in the middle. I am 40, so...don't think I am old, yet would not consider myself young. I started cruising with my parents in the late 70's, the beginning of the "modern" cruising era. I personally, as an adult, choose to cruise on Celebrity because I prefer the atmosphere of the ships, I enjoy the adult only areas and would NEVER choose to sail on a ship with a water-slide, just not my thing. There are very respectful children and adults and the opposite holds true for both groups as well. I tend to take longer cruises and at times other than holidays and summer breaks, again...my choice. However, if I wanted to take a 7 day cruise during the summer, where I know there will be a larger percentage of children, it is my right to do so and I would expect everyone...kids and adults to follow the rules, for kids that might be staying out of the adults only solarium and for adults it might be not saving a chair or chairs near the pool all day that you are not using. We all know what the rules are when we sign up to sail, if we don't, then we didn't do our research properly. If on a day, when the weather is not great, Celebrity decides to open the solarium to families...I might not be happy about it, but it would never ruin my vacation. I would simply expect the children to be respectful of others. If they are not, I would not blame the children, but instead, blame the parents for abdicating their parental responsibilities in controlling their children. To this day, I still use "yes sir", "yes ma'am"', "no sir" and "no ma'am"...this is what I was taught and it's a simple example of respect for our fellow human beings. My mom, who instilled in me, my love for travel and cruising, passed away, after a battle with cancer, just before this past Thanksgiving at the very young age of 60. In January I went home to spend some time with and check in on my dad...one evening we pulled out boxes of photos. Many of the photos were of course from family vacations and most of those were cruises. Awesome memories of a beautiful and classy woman who loved spending time with her family and loved the high seas. Let's all just try and get along, understand what we signed up for and follow the rules accordingly, be respectful of one another and different points of view and by all means put an end to the snarky comments back and forth. Wishing everyone safe and happy cruising, and wonderful memories created with family, friends and our fellow passengers. Happy sailing mom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been reading this thread for the last two days...I read and write this with great sadness, as it is a commentary on our society in general. Extremes on both sides of the issue and very little, if any, willingness to meet in the middle. I am 40, so...don't think I am old, yet would not consider myself young. I started cruising with my parents in the late 70's, the beginning of the "modern" cruising era. I personally, as an adult, choose to cruise on Celebrity because I prefer the atmosphere of the ships, I enjoy the adult only areas and would NEVER choose to sail on a ship with a water-slide, just not my thing. There are very respectful children and adults and the opposite holds true for both groups as well. I tend to take longer cruises and at times other than holidays and summer breaks, again...my choice. However, if I wanted to take a 7 day cruise during the summer, where I know there will be a larger percentage of children, it is my right to do so and I would expect everyone...kids and adults to follow the rules, for kids that might be staying out of the adults only solarium and for adults it might be not saving a chair or chairs near the pool all day that you are not using. We all know what the rules are when we sign up to sail, if we don't, then we didn't do our research properly. If on a day, when the weather is not great, Celebrity decides to open the solarium to families...I might not be happy about it, but it would never ruin my vacation. I would simply expect the children to be respectful of others. If they are not, I would not blame the children, but instead, blame the parents for abdicating their parental responsibilities in controlling their children. To this day, I still use "yes sir", "yes ma'am"', "no sir" and "no ma'am"...this is what I was taught and it's a simple example of respect for our fellow human beings. My mom, who instilled in me, my love for travel and cruising, passed away, after a battle with cancer, just before this past Thanksgiving at the very young age of 60. In January I went home to spend some time with and check in on my dad...one evening we pulled out boxes of photos. Many of the photos were of course from family vacations and most of those were cruises. Awesome memories of a beautiful and classy woman who loved spending time with her family and loved the high seas. Let's all just try and get along, understand what we signed up for and follow the rules accordingly, be respectful of one another and different points of view and by all means put an end to the snarky comments back and forth. Wishing everyone safe and happy cruising, and wonderful memories created with family, friends and our fellow passengers. Happy sailing mom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perfectly stated. As I have posted my "kid" started flying @ 6months. I knew he was my resposibility & took steps (food, water, juice extra diapers, favorite stuffed toy etc) to insure that he would not disturb others. Travel with a child can be exhausting but what is gained from looking through their eyes is amazing. IMO if we all READ the rules & regulations and abide by them then there should not be a problem. Rude adults are a larger problem (they should know better) than rude kids. Everyone is entitled to a peaceful cruise-we have all paid $$$.

Carole

PS the "kid" is past 30

Ok I will come clean, I have just been having a bit of fun trying to get a good debate going. It seemed like a good topic to find out if anyone would really challenge my views and if anyone felt the same.

In reality I do think that some areas of the ship should be adult only, I do like to get away from the shrieking. However I also agree that children on the lose should be well behaved enough to be let lose and not used as an excuse by parents to let them off the leash and run wild everywhere. Some areas should be for that purpose, where kids can let off steam. I also feel there should be outlets that are catered for child activities and supervised by the ship's staff. On a 120,000 tonne ship approx 1000 feet long and about 15 stories high, there should be enough space to allow a bit of everyones preferences.

CI 66774 you are very easy to wind up, the only other person I know to bite back like that is mrs fixit.

Archived