Celebrity Cruisers don't like kids

gelo7

There is a thread on the Carnival board about many cruisers not wanting kids on Cruises. It was started on March 22, and it already has over 450 posts. A few of those posts intimated that people that sail Celebrity really don't like to see kids cruising. We are taking our first Celebrity cruise a week from today, please say that it isn't so.

There is a thread on the Carnival board about many cruisers not wanting kids on Cruises. It was started on March 22, and it already has over 450 posts. A few of those posts intimated that people that sail Celebrity really don't like to see kids cruising. We are taking our first Celebrity cruise a week from today, please say that it isn't so.

That's not true for most people on Celebrity, including me. It is true that Celebrity attracts fewer children than Carnival, but it has an excellent children's program. Don't worry about it.

Celebrity is just like any other cruise line. Those that prefer to cruise without children on board take longer cruises during time periods when kids are in school. No one expects to go on a seven day cruise, during spring break to the caribbean, and not have families with children as a large percentage of their fellow cruisers. You will have a great time.

We don't have kids and I absolutely am not bothered by children on cruises, as long as they are well behaved.

That said, I think that people on ANY cruise wouldn't want children (or adults) who run up and down the halls screaming, talk loudly in the hallways late at night, push all the buttons on the elevator, play nicky nicky nine doors on the cabin doors, push in front of people in line at the buffet or shows, etc.

Depending on when you cruise there may not be many kids, but they'll still have a great time.

We personally are not great fans of children on land or sea (No offence) and when we booked at our next holiday for June 2011 we told the TA this and she suggested Celebrity suggesting 3 points the first was Celebrity was more a older cruiser and not so much geared towards family and the second was the itinery we had chosen Russia again most familys from the UK prefering to cruise the Med and the third being the time of year you holiday/vacation.

Our first cruise on IOS had 130 children on board and to be honest you would have thought there was no children on board however last year on IOS there was 400-500+ children on board and most was very well mannered however there was a few parents who had the attuide "Where on holiday/vacation we can let the children run riot this included diving into the pools incuding adult only pools,swearing and running around the MDR.

I'm sure if your a good parent or don't have children you would agree a few bad apples spoil it for everyone.

Fingers crossed for a more peacefull cruise this June :)

We don't have kids and I absolutely am not bothered by children on cruises, as long as they are well behaved.

That said, I think that people on ANY cruise wouldn't want children (or adults) who run up and down the halls screaming, talk loudly in the hallways late at night, push all the buttons on the elevator, play nicky nicky nine doors on the cabin doors, push in front of people in line at the buffet or shows, etc.

Depending on when you cruise there may not be many kids, but they'll still have a great time.

I am of a similar opinion. I really don't care if there are kids on board or not. I have a problem with UNDISCIPLINED children and their PARENTS. There is simply no reason for kids to be running in the halls after about 10PM. Cannonballs in the pool? Kids taking over the Hot Tubs when it says that those under age 10 are not supposed to use the hot tubs without their Parents?

Kids are not the problem, zygote producers are (I suppose that using Parents is actually too kind to them) (Like Dr. Laura and the term "Sperm Donor" for unconcerned fathers. There really ain't one for unconcerned mothers)

So bring your kids, but remember they are in public and should behave!!!

I don't mind children on cruises, as long as the parents realize that other cruisers aren't there to control their children. In other words if the children behave, great, I'm happy they are there and having a good time. If on the other hand they are out of control, and not supervised, then I wouldn't want them on a cruise that I am on. In my opinion young children (under the age of 16)should never be left alone in a cabin, day or night because it more convenient for parents,because that is giving them free rein to do what they want, when they want.

I know cruise lines state that children must be accompanied by an adult in each cabin, but parents break this rule all the time. It definitely is not fair to other passengers.

We personally are not great fans of children on land or sea (No offence)

however there was a few parents who had the attuide "Where on holiday/vacation we can let the children run riot this included diving into the pools incuding adult only pools, swearing and running around the MDR.

I'm sure if your a good parent or don't have children you would agree a few bad apples spoil it for everyone. :)

I agree, whether it's children or adults a few can spoil it for everyone...

I found that the parents can be ignorant and have a 'I'll do whatever I like and go wherever I like mentality'.. Such as the parent with the child that hadn't been potty trained insisting on taking him into the spa hot tub.. It's clearly marked for guests 16 and over .. When challenged he said he'd paid good money and can go wherever he liked.. I pointed out that his baby could pee or poop in the hot tub and it would be nice if he would consider other guests that want to enjoy the facility, it's not like the water is drained after each visit... oh and BTW the water temp wasn't suitable for what looked like a 18th month. Oh Boy !!

I've met some awesome well behaved children and some absolute horror's ... The same can be said for the parents/ adults..;)

We have been on 3 Celebrity Cruises in the last few years with our small boys. (Now ages 4 & 6). The adult atmophere really brings out their best behavior, and earns the respect of fellow passengers. I am continually impressed at how they "sense" it is a special and fancy place and turn on their best etiquette.

They also really enjoy wearing the tuxes and suits, and I can't tell you how many other cruisers said they looked foward to seeing their outfits each day and watching their proper behavior during dinner in the MDR. It really means a lot to hear this from people. Since there typically not a tons of kids on board, we felt our children were treated exceptionally by other passengers and staff. Also, a lot of people get to know them on the ship, so it if fun for them.

I think you and your family will enjoy Celebrity quite a bit. It's not a "go wild, crazy environment", but it is fun and fancy....and that's how we went about it with our kids.

Here's the real deal: Celebrity IS family-friendly. It's just not child centered and is very much a more "grown-up" atmosphere. We cruised Eclipse recently with our 4-year-old DS. The Fun Factory is excellent, and we felt welcomed in general. In fact, since there weren't a huge number of children on board, we felt our DS got lots of individual attention at the Fun Factory.

That said, the Eclipse is designed for adults and has lots of chic bars but no waterslides. It comes down to what you expect from a family vacation. My DH and I liked the upscale vibe on Eclipse. Our DS had fun. Were there times when I was worried what other people would think if my DS had a meltdown? Yes. Were there times when I felt like we were running out of things for him to do on the ship? Yes. But, for the most part, DS did very well, and we had a wonderful time. I wouldn't trade the service and style of X for a more child-centered experience that might not be as upscale as I'd like. Disney might be the exception to that statement. JMHO.

One of the things that we are looking forward to on Celebrity is more of an adult environment.

This doesn't mean that we don't think that children shouldn't be on the cruise, it just means we don't want to be around the next Charlie Sheen or Lindsay Lohan in training. ;)

H

I have been on this board since its inception, and unfortunately there are people who don't believe children should be on cruises and in particular should not be on Celebrity cruises. This used to be one of the most hotly contested subjects years ago but thankfully no longer. Every once in a while you get some ignorant post as occurred last week on one of the threads but there are very few of those now. Celebrity has excellent childrens programs. You have to remember that without families with children on cruise, I doubt many of the cruise lines including Celebrity would exist or at the very least have all these fabulous ships going to great locations.

I don't have (or want) kids, and I prefer to cruise when there are few children on board. If there was an adult-only cruise line that was affordable and did the Southern Caribbean, that would be the only line DH and I would book. We choose Celebrity because we heard it was more of an "adult" cruise line, and it does not try to market itself as a family line. We used to cruise Royal Caribbean, and it was becoming more like Disney. That is when we made the switch. If I had kids, or when I know of families who are looking to cruise, I point them to Carnival, RCCL, or Disney because I think those lines have more to offer families than Celebrity.

Have been on 50+ cruises, 30+ on Celebrity and can't remember a single time when children on board have been an issue. On the other hand, we've come across way too many rude, loud, self-indulgent, obnoxious adult pax whom we would have gladly traded for kids in a heartbeat.

I'll disagree with pointing families to other cruise lines. Celebrity has an excellent kids and youth program and the crew go out of their way to accommodate families. Our daughters cruised with us as youth and Celebrity was our cruise line of choice. We now have taken our daughter and granddaughter on 2 cruises and they loved it. Our waiter always had a snack and drink ready for her and all went well there. The FunFactory was great and we used the babysitting which was 2 of the girls from the FunFactory.

Yes, no water slides and the Line is adult-oriented - that's why we cruise on it and why other families do too. I don't want to be in the middle of DisneyWorld on the ship. My kids learned a great deal being in adult venues instead of everything being catered and aimed at them.

I guess we were selfish in having our kids learn to be with us in various venues. Personally, I think that is healthy for us And the kids.

Den

I'll disagree with pointing families to other cruise lines. Celebrity has an excellent kids and youth program and the crew go out of their way to accommodate families. Our daughters cruised with us as youth and Celebrity was our cruise line of choice. We now have taken our daughter and granddaughter on 2 cruises and they loved it. Our waiter always had a snack and drink ready for her and all went well there. The FunFactory was great and we used the babysitting which was 2 of the girls from the FunFactory.

Yes, no water slides and the Line is adult-oriented - that's why we cruise on it and why other families do too. I don't want to be in the middle of DisneyWorld on the ship. My kids learned a great deal being in adult venues instead of everything being catered and aimed at them.

I guess we were selfish in having our kids learn to be with us in various venues. Personally, I think that is healthy for us And the kids.

Den

Denny

We did the same thing with our kids who grew up on Celebrity....Kids are now adults and elite due to all those cruises...I agree with you, Celebrity's childrens programs are very underated and I would not hesitate to recommend Celebrity to them.

gelo ~ We've sailed with our daughter since she was six, many times on Celebrity ships. While you won't typically see the number of children on Celebrity that you see on other lines, I've never gotten the feeling from other passengers that they didn't like seeing kids on board. Celebrity has awesome facilities for kids today and a very well run kids program. We always felt our daughter was welcome by crew and passengers alike.

What people don't like are out of control kids just like they don't like unruly passengers (I've seen them on Celebrity and all cruise lines); inconsiderate passengers; the list goes on.

Have a fantastic time on your cruise and please come back and let us know how it goes!

We don't have kids and I absolutely am not bothered by children on cruises' date=' as long as they are well behaved.

Depending on when you cruise there may not be many kids, but they'll still have a great time.[/quote']

Well said...I would add that well supervised children are a delight to observe as well as parents who follow the rules by not insisting that their children should be admitted to adult-only restaurants or in hot tubs, or the adults only pool during non-family time, or children without swim diapers in the pool!!

We've seen many beautifully behaved & well dressed children on board, esp. on Celebrity versus some other lines.

It depends on how you read that thread. Carnival is mostly a lower budget family cruiseliners, who have lots of families onboard,and therefore lots of kids too.

Celebrity has more adults on board, certainly not anti-kids, just less of them.

X caters to a MUCH different demographic than Carnival. Kids are welcome. Prehaps its that Carnival parents cannot control/have not taught their children how to behave-much like the kids that kick the seat on flight.

Carole

It seems that the majority of children I see in public lately have been poorly behaved. Whether it's children being allowed to tantrum in airports or being rowdy in restaurants, parenting seems to be a lost art. On our last vacation, we were waiting for our plane and watched as a mother gave into a tantrum and fed her child candy before our red-eye boarded. That being said, we've sailed on Celebrity 4 times in the past and I couldn't tell you if there were a lot of children on board. Not because there are no children, but because their behavior doesn't draw attention. We do tend to sail in non child friendly times, but that's not it. People who sail on Celebrity and bring children seem to expect their children to behave and the children respond.

Archived