NCL Paradise Point - heads up for those with young kids

cp1824

NCL will sell you (and tell you that a ticket is needed) if your kids are age 2-12. Upon getting to Paradise Point today the Skyway operator told us that NCL "ripped us off". Tickets are only needed if the kids are over the age of 6.

Shame on NCL for telling folks otherwise. They should step up and admit they are doing this and correct their excursion order forms for this trip.

This isn't a matter of the small amount of money for me, but basic human honesty.

We have read these boards in preparation for cruises, cruised for our first time on a Carnival cruise where the boat got noro-virus, never thought we would cruise again and tried the Epic. We are having an Epic time and will cruise NCL again (actually booked Epic again this morning before the April 1st price increase).

In short so far this cruise has exceeded all expectations except for small things like this that make you question the integrity of NCL. Watching a company actively do things that are counter productive to their reputation is hard to see and watch - especially for those who do end up losing their hard earned money that could have gone to an extra dinner at a freestyle restaurant or souvenier for the kids.

NCL will sell you (and tell you that a ticket is needed) if your kids are age 2-12. Upon getting to Paradise Point today the Skyway operator told us that NCL "ripped us off". Tickets are only needed if the kids are over the age of 6.

Shame on NCL for telling folks otherwise. They should step up and admit they are doing this and correct their excursion order forms for this trip.

This isn't a matter of the small amount of money for me, but basic human honesty.

We have read these boards in preparation for cruises, cruised for our first time on a Carnival cruise where the boat got noro-virus, never thought we would cruise again and tried the Epic. We are having an Epic time and will cruise NCL again (actually booked Epic again this morning before the April 1st price increase).

In short so far this cruise has exceeded all expectations except for small things like this that make you question the integrity of NCL. Watching a company actively do things that are counter productive to their reputation is hard to see and watch - especially for those who do end up losing their hard earned money that could have gone to an extra dinner at a freestyle restaurant or souvenier for the kids.

How do you figure they ripped you off? They charged you for something that someone else would have given you for free.

That's no different than saying ANY retailer has ripped you off when the manufacturer might sell for less.

Cruise Critic never ceases to amaze me ! ! !

The OP comes here to tell us she purchased tickets on NCL for an excursion. NCL tells her that she must pay for her child who is under 6 years old. She says okay and buys the tickets.

Once she arrives at the excursion with her child, she finds out that she never needed any ticket for her child since all children under the age of 6 ride for free.

The OP gets answers here like "you think you were ripped off?" , NCL has to make money, too", etc., all because she came here to warn others with young kids.

How about some admission of guilt on NCL's part? Doesn't NCL check out all of their excursions as far as reliability, insurance, safety, licenses and all of that stuff....so how about charging the correct prices for kids???

I checked the NCL website and that excursion involves no transportation at all and it clearly states that all children will be charged $9.00 which is nothing but an outright lie...or a rippoff, mistake or whatever.

Children 6-12 years old are charged $9.00. Children under 6 years old are free.

NCL is clearly wrong and it would certainly be refreshing to hear that once in a while on this site........and I don't know why the OP didn't attempt to get her money back.

Just so everyone knows....THAT particular "excursion" (which really isn't an excursion, but just a ticket to ride the skyway up to Paradise) is the ONLY tickets that NCL sells on there that is completely refundable IF you DO NOT use the tickets.

They will flat out tell you at the desk when you buy the tickets that if YOU decide not to use the ticket for ANY reason...you ran out of time to go, it wasn't open, you decided not to do it...whatever reason, you can bring the ticket back for a full refund.

Just to clarify...I'm not yelling or anything at anyone...just letting anyone that might buy tickets in the future to be aware that you CAN get your money back on this particular NCL excursion. :)

Just wondering OP, did you go back to the excursion desk to present the ticket and let them know that there was no need to buy one in the first place?

I just want to thank the OP for their warning! Kuddos for sharing the tip from another mom of young children!!

I used to only book shore excursions from NCL until I found that I was purchasing unnecessary or hugely overpriced tickets for my two kids (current ages 2 an 4). I have now found that by going direct, I not only save money, but my kids are welcome on more excursions. Too many of the fun excursions have age limits through NCL, but direct we have been able to have soo much fun!! My kids are adventurous and I am always with them to determine the safety of our excursions. As a parent I feel it is my decision to determine what my kids are capable of- not NCL (this being when the excursion allows for young children and NCL put the age guideline on).

Don't worry about all the naysayers OP (which I will be hearing from shortly :P). I love NCL, we are gold latitudes and heading quickly for platinum- and will continue too because there are SO many components of NCL that we do love; but no company is perfect and it is okay to acknowledge flaws, or how else can they improve and if the don't then others be warned.

Cruise Critic never ceases to amaze me ! ! !

The OP comes here to tell us she purchased tickets on NCL for an excursion. NCL tells her that she must pay for her child who is under 6 years old. She says okay and buys the tickets.

Once she arrives at the excursion with her child, she finds out that she never needed any ticket for her child since all children under the age of 6 ride for free.

The OP gets answers here like "you think you were ripped off?" , NCL has to make money, too", etc., all because she came here to warn others with young kids.

How about some admission of guilt on NCL's part? Doesn't NCL check out all of their excursions as far as reliability, insurance, safety, licenses and all of that stuff....so how about charging the correct prices for kids???

I checked the NCL website and that excursion involves no transportation at all and it clearly states that all children will be charged $9.00 which is nothing but an outright lie...or a rippoff, mistake or whatever.

Children 6-12 years old are charged $9.00. Children under 6 years old are free.

NCL is clearly wrong and it would certainly be refreshing to hear that once in a while on this site........and I don't know why the OP didn't attempt to get her money back.

It amazes me how the NCL apologists and cheerleaders always find a reason to justify anything NCL does.

Unbeleivable is right. There's no lie, ripoff or mistake.

Children of all ages WERE charged $9.00, by NCL.

When I buy tickets to a concert at Ticketmaster, they're listed at $89 with a $7.50 CONVENIENCE FEE...and in THAT case, it isn't as though I can go & buy the tickets elsewhere.

You obviously bought the tickets through NCL in the first place, because it was more convenient for you (otherwise you'd have just bought them all at the lift)....why shouldn't convenience have a premium cost?

Richie....all you ever do is make inane comments that people are defending the cruiseline without cause...but you fail to note that their usually IS cause.

As a parent I feel it is my decision to determine what my kids are capable of- not NCL (this being when the excursion allows for young children and NCL put the age guideline on).

Wow.. if every parent felt that way it would be a great protection from lawsuites when children get hurt doing things that are not age appropriate. Maybe that is why any place puts age limits on activities. To protect themselves since most parents feel it's everyone elses responsibility to protect their children, not their own.

Unbeleivable is right. There's no lie, ripoff or mistake.

Children of all ages WERE charged $9.00, by NCL.

When I buy tickets to a concert at Ticketmaster, they're listed at $89 with a $7.50 CONVENIENCE FEE...and in THAT case, it isn't as though I can go & buy the tickets elsewhere.

You obviously bought the tickets through NCL in the first place, because it was more convenient for you (otherwise you'd have just bought them all at the lift)....why shouldn't convenience have a premium cost?

Richie....all you ever do is make inane comments that people are defending the cruiseline without cause...but you fail to note that their usually IS cause.

This is my first time writing a comment on the website. I've been looking and reading the stories for about three weeks now. I'm I'm checking out all the cruise lines and read a lot about Norwegian and the other ships.

This lady write in to warn everyone that Norwegian is selling tickets on the ship to the Paradise Point Tram Ride in Saint Thomas and is charging kids under six years old $9.00 for the ticket to get on the Tram Ride when the TRam Ride company says that you never needed a ticket for the kids because kids under 6 can ride for free amd are never charged.

And you answer that lady by telling her that Norwegian provided her with a convenience to sell her a ticket and convenience has a cost?

I say Norwegian robbed her of her money. How can you charge someone for something that is free?

And a bunch of you people here agree with the cruise ship? I can't wait to tell this story about Norwegian to everyone I know.

This is my first time writing a comment on the website. I've been looking and reading the stories for about three weeks now. I'm I'm checking out all the cruise lines and read a lot about Norwegian and the other ships.

This lady write in to warn everyone that Norwegian is selling tickets on the ship to the Paradise Point Tram Ride in Saint Thomas and is charging kids under six years old $9.00 for the ticket to get on the Tram Ride when the TRam Ride company says that you never needed a ticket for the kids because kids under 6 can ride for free amd are never charged.

And you answer that lady by telling her that Norwegian provided her with a convenience to sell her a ticket and convenience has a cost?

I say Norwegian robbed her of her money. How can you charge someone for something that is free?

And a bunch of you people here agree with the cruise ship? I can't wait to tell this story about Norwegian to everyone I know.

A bunch of us people know that NCL (like any other cruise line) marks up shore excursions and that it's almost always a better deal to book your own. (And for everyone's info Carnival offers the same excursion and they charge $9.99 for children).

Excursions booked on the ship are always marked up, usually by a lot. So it's a $9 mark-up. I don't understand why people don't research excursions before a cruise, especially small, simple ones. A lot of the time, it's easy to book them on your own, and almost always a significant money saver.

AMEN! These people are crazy! I would consider it fraud. Selling you something that does not exist or is needed.

OP, did you check back with the desk and what did they tell you? Yes, when any tour, regardless of what type is purchased via a 3rd party there will be extra charges. That being said, I think the fact that you brought it to the attention of others is a good thing. What causes the hostility here and I would think others would realize this is: you could have gotten your point across by simply mentioning there should be no charge for kids under a certain age. You didn't have to add the attack on NCL.

Nita

Just an FYI but Disney also charges $9 for children.

When I check the Disney website it says that the $9.00 charge is for children 6-12 years of age. Disney's website is specific and states that it DOES NOT charge for kids under six years of age for that excursion.

As you recall, NCL charged the OP $9.00 for something that was available to her and the children (under 6) for free.

I bought this tour from NCL last November mainly because it was cheaper then buying tickets directly. NCL gets a volume discount and they pass part of the savings on to the customer. If the ticket taker didn't take the kids tickets then NCL will refund the price if you turn your tickets back in. I was referred to the tour by a friend who had taken it and said it was worth it. Next time I would see how much a taxi cost because the sky-tram wasn't worth it but the view at the top was good and the bushwhacker was tasty.

I just want to thank the OP for their warning! Kuddos for sharing the tip from another mom of young children!!

I used to only book shore excursions from NCL until I found that I was purchasing unnecessary or hugely overpriced tickets for my two kids (current ages 2 an 4). I have now found that by going direct, I not only save money, but my kids are welcome on more excursions. Too many of the fun excursions have age limits through NCL, but direct we have been able to have soo much fun!! My kids are adventurous and I am always with them to determine the safety of our excursions. As a parent I feel it is my decision to determine what my kids are capable of- not NCL (this being when the excursion allows for young children and NCL put the age guideline on).

Don't worry about all the naysayers OP (which I will be hearing from shortly :P). I love NCL, we are gold latitudes and heading quickly for platinum- and will continue too because there are SO many components of NCL that we do love; but no company is perfect and it is okay to acknowledge flaws, or how else can they improve and if the don't then others be warned.

Going direct has a lot of advantages; 1-yes,cost for sure, remember when you book via the cruise line and this goes for all cruise lines, they have to make a profit and they have to pay the tour company: 2-you get a more personalized tour and the tour groups are usually much smaller. The only time I would advise booking via a ship is:1-if the tour is going to be long: example, ship in port 6 hours, tour is 5 hours, go with the ship just to make sure you are not waving good-bye to your friends from the pier or 2-you are a brand new cruiser and not comfortable with booking on your own. Oh, one more time, there are some ports, like Panama that are not as safe as others. It is better to be with the ship tours in that case. There is one other time we have booked via the ship: on rare occassions we have found the ship to actually be a little less.

Now as for your deciding what your chrildren can and can not do, yes, you are the best to decide, but companies have to use precausions as well: do you have any idea what kind of a law suit a company would be facing if a child, that might be considered to young for an acitivity, was allowed to do that activity? Why do you think the kids club councilors do not take the kids swimming?

Nita

Going direct has a lot of advantages; 1-yes,cost for sure, remember when you book via the cruise line and this goes for all cruise lines, they have to make a profit and they have to pay the tour company: 2-you get a more personalized tour and the tour groups are usually much smaller. The only time I would advise booking via a ship is:1-if the tour is going to be long: example, ship in port 6 hours, tour is 5 hours, go with the ship just to make sure you are not waving good-bye to your friends from the pier or 2-you are a brand new cruiser and not comfortable with booking on your own. Oh, one more time, there are some ports, like Panama that are not as safe as others. It is better to be with the ship tours in that case. There is one other time we have booked via the ship: on rare occassions we have found the ship to actually be a little less.

Now as for your deciding what your chrildren can and can not do, yes, you are the best to decide, but companies have to use precausions as well: do you have any idea what kind of a law suit a company would be facing if a child, that might be considered to young for an acitivity, was allowed to do that activity? Why do you think the kids club councilors do not take the kids swimming?

Nita

Once again, this is when the excursion has already set their safety guidelines via age and/or minimum weight/height and NCL changes them and imposes their own views.

On multiple excursions that we have booked direct because NCL states their is an age limit there have been special safety precautions for the younger kids. It is up to the parent whether with these precautions it is right for their children- not NCL!

My children are excellent swimmers, but I know to still watch them and have them wear life vests- and if they are allowed to go cave tubing through booking direct and they allow our children to be on our laps or on their own tubes depending on the parents knowledge of their child's capabilities why would NCL say no one under age 10? Not saying that this is the ideal excursion for us, but my 8 year old nephew would LOVE it and NCL is taking that decision into their own hands.

One example for us personally, is in Alaska we are able to do small individual boat tour. My kids are on speed boats all the time.

Nita

All excellent points Nita. I ONLY book through NCL when an excursion is lengthy. Unfortunately they do need to make a profit (in St. Thomas in November we went the same place others that others paid twice the price for, unfortunate for them. In Belize, I paid full price for 6 of us for an excursion that lasted 8 hours-would not have taken the chance on that one!!!).

That said SHAME on NCL for charging for young children where the cost is free. Can not BELIEVE some people are defending it. Convenience my butt. It is preying on people's naivete, as they did with us our first cruise. Cruise Critic made me an experienced cruiser faster than any number of cruises could have.....JMHO

That said SHAME on NCL for charging for young children where the cost is free. Can not BELIEVE some people are defending it. Convenience my butt. It is preying on people's naivete, as they did with us our first cruise. Cruise Critic made me an experienced cruiser faster than any number of cruises could have.....JMHO

What's amusing in this thread is that the people who have bought this excursion through NCL did so because it was cheaper than buying from the vendor, due to volume discounts that NCL gets.

So it's NOT robbery for the guest to accept a LOWER price than the vendor would have charged them, but it IS robbery for the cruiseline to charge for every ticket, regardless of whether the vendor would have?

Double-standard much?

Archived