Princess vs Celebrity

BosoxI

And I don't understand how some people can't understand plain English, as your post is the first to mention "drunkeness", much less "uncontrolled drunkeness". My original post commented on the high price of an unlimited drink card, $57 per day per person. You can't get your money's worth out of it drinking only juice, water, and cappucini, so what's left? Or have some clever people found a way to get multiple people drinking on one card? That would make it cost effective. The rest of your comment is just silly.

Originally Posted by BosoxI

With a diet like that. you'd be way ahead on the road to cirrhosis of the liver, that's for sure. I couldn't handle it, nor would I want to, but that is my point, that Celebrity encourages heavy drinking by people getting their money's worth. BTW Princess' pizza reigns supreme. No comparisonl Ecllipse's was terrible.

Maybe if you would remember what you have typed through out this thread, then it would make perfect sense to you. You are saying that Celebrity encourages heavy drinking.....and all I am saying that just because something is unlimited does not mean its going to be abused.

Also the drink package you pointed out is the highest priced one on Celebrity. If you don't drink Martini's you could probably make do with the $39 one which includes all beverages up to $8. Coffee and juice in the morning, beers by the pool, bottled water throughout the day, couple of glasses of wine with dinner with some san pellegrino, not hard to go through $39. Plus if you're into nightlife at all with the shows or discos, you're way ahead of the game. The drink packages are getting great reviews on the Celebrity board without people drinking their faces off or witnessing others doing it.

Not totally true. With RCI and X if you request MTD in advance, yes you will pay your tips in advance. However, if you request Traditional Dining, then change when you get onboard, you will not be paying your tips on Final Payment.

Just booked on X for 2012 and X is over $1,000 cheaper for basically the same ports and 1 extra day, plus a new ship, The Silhouette, that comes out this May.

So, there are always + and - on each cruise/line.

Happy Cruising!!

Obviously they can't bill gratuities in advance if you get on the ship with Traditional Dining, but they do bill it all the first day if you change to Select. I tried to change to Select and they denied my request. So, it's a risk which I took and lost. So, if you want to be guaranteed Select Dining you have to pay your gratuities in advance at final payment.

The reason I booked Celebrity last year is because it was $1000 cheaper when I booked it. By the time final payment came, Princess had dropped to an equal prices. No way of know in advance, of course, but I still wanted to try Celebrity. I'm glad I did, but I learned a lot about it and will know more the next time I cruise with them.

No worries...Celebrity pizza is "better" in my humble opinion. More choices too! :D

Pat :)

Food is always so subjective, but for me Princess is far better. I don't think it's the best pizza in the world, but it's the best I've had on a cruise ship.

This fascination with pizza tickles me. I have yet to eat even one piece on any cruise (and I like pizza). But when I can eat shrimp and crab and fresh strawberries and unlimited salads and desserts, pizza kind of doesn't make the cut (neither do burgers, fries and soft serve ice creams). But DH more than makes up for me in the pizza area.

ETA- Now with breadsticks there is no competition. Celebrity reigns supreme. If I could sneak a suitcase-ful home I would.

Obviously they can't bill gratuities in advance if you get on the ship with Traditional Dining, but they do bill it all the first day if you change to Select. I tried to change to Select and they denied my request. So, it's a risk which I took and lost. So, if you want to be guaranteed Select Dining you have to pay your gratuities in advance at final payment.

The reason I booked Celebrity last year is because it was $1000 cheaper when I booked it. By the time final payment came, Princess had dropped to an equal prices. No way of know in advance, of course, but I still wanted to try Celebrity. I'm glad I did, but I learned a lot about it and will know more the next time I cruise with them.

Both RCI and X follow the same policy since X is owned by RCI. However, been on both LOS and Solstice and never had a problem changing to Select. So, we both had a difference experience. I would rather see the price correct when I book, rather than hope it goes down before I make my final payment. JMHO! Happy Cruising!

Agree on the Princess pizza being the best at sea--of the five lines I've sailed anyway.

I do want to try a Solstice class ship too. I sailed Celebrity first time last year on the Summit and I was not impressed. That ship needs refurbishment badly and they're putting it off till 2012.

Have had great cruises on all the lines and I appreciate their differences for the most part.

Obviously they can't bill gratuities in advance if you get on the ship with Traditional Dining, but they do bill it all the first day if you change to Select.

Why can't they bill gratuities in advance for TD? They could also do it for Trad, too. There is no reason that they could not do it. In fact, I foresee that any or all cruise lines will do it in the future. Many people don't want to tip. At one time HAL did really mention tipping or require it. Now, they do. Tips are also going up on the cruise lines.

There are cruise lines that use Auto Tipping and charge your account daily. You have to request to be removed from Auto Tipping. Others will allow Auto Tipping if you sign up for it.

We like both lines and find pros and cons to each line and ship. But we find that variety in cruising makes things more exciting and we have cruised on 12 different lines. We agree with the OP that the Princess buffet set-up is awful and generally results in too much congestion in a small space. That being said, the Pizza on Princess is the best at sea. As to the shows, we think its somewhat hit and miss. Oh, regarding Elite benefits (we are Elite with both Princess and X) we think that Celebrity currently has the best program. Elites on Celebrity have a special breakfast lounge with free booze and very good service. They also have a 2 hour cocktail hour every evening (except the first night) with free cocktails and decent hors d'oervres.

Hank

I think most people find themselves, much like you, enjoying both cruise lines for different reasons, and open to either one, depending on itinerary and price. Some people are simply more comfortable with what they know best (or where they get the best benefits), and there's nothing wrong with that either. But I have a hard time understanding how people who LOVE Princess can HATE Celebrity, or vice versa. There are differences, but most open minded people enjoy both of them.

Exactly! It's hard for me to understand as well. Once you're in a similar category (like Princess and Celebrity), the cruiselines really are more similar than different. It's not like one offers a radically different experience: both emphasize service, food quality, nice ships, and a more relaxed cruising style. So unless you have a serious issue (i.e. you can't abide by the smoking policy on X, or you were personally wronged by the cruiseline somehow), how can you hate the other? Frankly, I think most people who bash another line have not actually sailed the line themselves, and are just operating on hearsay. "I haven't personally sailed them, but I heard that..." is so common on the cruise boards when comparing lines.

I think it's mainly an issue of open-mindedness. People get comfortable with one line and are wary of trying another. That part is understandable. Cruises are expensive and one doesn't want to throw away that kind of money on a potentially bad experience. But if people do try another line, they often go into it with preconceived notions and no matter what, it will never live up to their favorite. It's hard not to compare, but if you try to stay open-minded and appreciate each line for its strengths, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Archived