Live from the Zuiderdam - Panama Canal

that is quite a high percentage that got off the ship in Gatun Lake -- on our cruise barely 50 - 60 percent got off the ship

we enjoyed le cirque as well -- as to the beef -- when this dinner first started there was no choice but to order it for 2 -- which meant both people had to eat -- too large a portion for one -- glad to see that hal has wised up changed that option

Great review and great news on the beef at Le Cirque. Thanks for letting us know. i feel like I'm back on the Panama again with your great reviews.

Thanks so much :)

Great review and great news on the beef at Le Cirque. Thanks for letting us know. i feel like I'm back on the Panama again with your great reviews.

Thanks so much :)

Me too! I wonder how those on the Embera tour fared with the rain. Did it rain all day?

Thanks for taking the time during your cruise to share your experiences with us. Your comments and vivid descriptions take me back to October 2006 when we retired and sailed on the Zuiderdam on an 18-day Mexican Riviera and Panama Canal cruise. It was our all time best cruise. We tried to repeat it on the Oosterdam the following year and were disappointed. Since then we have not sailed Holland, preferring to try other lines. I'm ready to return.

Thanks again.

I, too, liked the library apart from the Crow's Nest. It was so quiet and beautiful there. Sorry to hear about the rain through the canal. We had a beautiful day when we went through and we'd love to do another passage.

Me too! I wonder how those on the Embera tour fared with the rain. Did it rain all day?

Yes, it did rain most of the day, unfortunately. But there were times that it was only light sprinkles instead of downpours. Everyone we talked to said they had a good time on their tours.

that is quite a high percentage that got off the ship in Gatun Lake -- on our cruise barely 50 - 60 percent got off the ship

we enjoyed le cirque as well -- as to the beef -- when this dinner first started there was no choice but to order it for 2 -- which meant both people had to eat -- too large a portion for one -- glad to see that hal has wised up changed that option

KKruizer....always love your posts, & can count on your very knowledgeable

advice! Question; we will be in an SA cabin on an upcoming Panm cruise on Zuiderdam, do you suggest tipping the concierge (s) in the Neptune Lounge at the end of the cruise or any other times?

thanks for your help!

Karen

Hi WeLoveCruising...

So great you are back aboard an HAL ship. I lost track of the date of your cruise and was so happy to find this thread. It's terrific and is great reading. Thanks for taking us along with you.

Continue to enjoy.

Sounds like you're having a 'dam' good cruise. :)

(Hi to you both. )

How does one determine the percentage of passengers that get off the ship in any given port? Does the Shore Excursion office provide this information? How did you learn this? Thanks.

How does one determine the percentage of passengers that get off the ship in any given port? Does the Shore Excursion office provide this information? How did you learn this? Thanks.

No idea, mine was just a guess-timate, I could be way off. The night before the cruise director asked by a show of hands how many people had booked excursions, and it was nearly the whole audience. I dont really know for sure.

Hi WeLoveCruising...

So great you are back aboard an HAL ship. I lost track of the date of your cruise and was so happy to find this thread. It's terrific and is great reading. Thanks for taking us along with you.

Continue to enjoy.

Sounds like you're having a 'dam' good cruise. :)

(Hi to you both. )

Hi Sail!

We are enjoying very much! Just checked email quickly this morning while having another latte in the Neptune Lounge. I'll write more today...

Hope you and your DH are doing well.

KKruizer....always love your posts, & can count on your very knowledgeable

advice! Question; we will be in an SA cabin on an upcoming Panm cruise on Zuiderdam, do you suggest tipping the concierge (s) in the Neptune Lounge at the end of the cruise or any other times?

thanks for your help!

Karen

we do tip the concierges in the neptune lounge as we do have them take care of things for us

the amount we tip them depends on how long the cruise is and how many times we have had them help us

on our cruise we just happen to be wondering around the ship while we were anchored in Gatun Lake and ran into the CD and i asked him about how many people had booked tours and he said that about 50 - 60 percent had booked

some cruises it will be a high per centage -- some low

we didn't take a tour as we have done several partial panama cruises and had done several excursions

we do tip the concierges in the neptune lounge as we do have them take care of things for us

the amount we tip them depends on how long the cruise is and how many times we have had them help us

If it is of any help, we also tip the concierges:) we use the same criteria as KK:)

Yes, it did rain most of the day, unfortunately. But there were times that it was only light sprinkles instead of downpours. Everyone we talked to said they had a good time on their tours.

Thats is good.

BTW On the cruise just before yours, I think it was the MDR manager who mentioned to us that over 1000 got off the Zuiderdam in Gatun Lake.

Archived