Review: 3/15 – 3/22 Whisper Caribbean cruise w/Seabourn comparison

AllisonJames

We though you meant the Marriott BUT maybe somewhere else . Wife knows someone at Avis so they are doing it for us.

Our ports are call seem to a bit different from yours . This is the first time on Silver Sea We hope it will better that Oceania we did over Christmas and New Years

Everyone has their own tastes, and sometimes even the best cruise lines have bad cruises due to staff turnover, bad weather, passenger demographics, mechanical problems, and other factors you might not be aware of. Holiday cruises can be hit or miss because passenger demographics can be very different (families, expectations). We've been on Seadream, Silversea, Oceania, and Seabourn within the past 7 years and would happily go on any of them again. We've also been in suites on Celebrity and Holland America, and aren't planning to go back any time soon unless we were traveling with friends. Some day I suspect we'll try Regent, Crystal, and Azamara.

Eileen,

Your review was very balanced and is very much appreciated. You have managed to make us even more excited than we were to go on our transatlantic cruise on the Whisper next month. We are packing lots of preventative medications for seasickness as I hear the seas can be rough when approaching Ireland.

Thank you for taking the time to share your cruise with us.

Jackie

Eileen,

Thankyou so much for your wonderful review on the Whisper. My wife and myself are sailing on the Shadow xmas of 2012 from Singapore to Sydney, your review has us both longing for it to hurry up and get here.

Karaoke:

I for one will be very interested in hearing your review of recent Silversea / recent Crystal, since if you read some recent member reviews of Crystal, it seems to have lost part of its sparkle, at least for those passengers writing the reviews.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Everyone has their own tastes, and sometimes even the best cruise lines have bad cruises due to staff turnover, bad weather, passenger demographics, mechanical problems, and other factors you might not be aware of. Holiday cruises can be hit or miss because passenger demographics can be very different (families, expectations). We've been on Seadream, Silversea, Oceania, and Seabourn within the past 7 years and would happily go on any of them again. We've also been in suites on Celebrity and Holland America, and aren't planning to go back any time soon unless we were traveling with friends. Some day I suspect we'll try Regent, Crystal, and Azamara.

The problem we had with Oceania is there class system

concerning fresh oysters and clams :

i heard both SS and SB oppose to serve it - on seabourn a chef confirmed it once

so far i only saw fresh oysters on Crystal and many years ago on QE2:rolleyes:

and i also enjoyed the Whisper twice last 6 months:) ...after a very bad Odyssey in October last year:mad:

i found the wine list on the Whisper - non complimentary - great especially the champagne selection and Italian

We have sailed SB more than 10 times and SS only once. I am holding this suite on the Whisper Barbados to NYC in May. I am wondering if there is a noise/.vibration problem towards the front on all deck levels? Should I move. I like this itinerary but recall thinking that the food and service on SS was not up to SB.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the Whisper We had suite 501 no vibration at all only when they used the side thrusters > Since all suites are forward there really should be none

Even in the dining room which are over the props and drive shaft nothing

AllisonJames,

Just getting around to reading the review and comparison now. Thanks for all the interesting points of view. The one thing I find a but odd is that you find the Whisper with 388 guests a great size but dismiss the new Seabourn ships with 450 as too large. Having sailed both I'd say there is virtually no difference in passenger/space ratio or feeling. By this logic I assume the SS Spirit is way too large. I'll be sailing her in October for the first time so will be able to judge for myself. Thanks again.

I've enjoyed reading your report as we are veteran Regent cruisers but considering trying Silversea someday.

I agree with you about debarkation--it is a rude awakening. What we have learned after many cruises is just to carry our own luggage off the ship (we carry it at the airport and everywhere else we travel after all), get off at our leisure rather than waiting for a color to be called, then get our own taxi to the airport. This method GREATLY reduces stress.

Hi Wripro -- Regarding SS/SB size of ships -- when I wrote the review I thought the new SB ships were larger than they are and someone actually suggested I might like the new SB ships so I haven't ruled them out at all -- I later posted a question seeking comparisons between the Whisper and the Odyssey, Sojourn and soon to be Quest, but no one responded. Would love to hear your impressions. I do feel the new SS Spirit is probably too large and really do not want to sail the SB Triplets again after the wonderful Whisper experience.

Hi Wripro -- Regarding SS/SB size of ships -- when I wrote the review I thought the new SB ships were larger than they are and someone actually suggested I might like the new SB ships so I haven't ruled them out at all -- I later posted a question seeking comparisons between the Whisper and the Odyssey, Sojourn and soon to be Quest, but no one responded. Would love to hear your impressions. I do feel the new SS Spirit is probably too large and really do not want to sail the SB Triplets again after the wonderful Whisper experience.

Just got off the whisper thought the size was really great BUT there was only 240 guests on the ship. It almost seemed empty, reservations for the two restaurants where easy to get. It was really different for us as it was our first time. Have done mass market for the last 30 years. We where on Oceania but that is no comparison either

Archived