Oceania secrets they don't tell you

cruzluvers

You have a choice of do-it-yourself laundry machines on Deck 7 of the old "R" ships (there are more laundry rooms on Marina) OR send it out and have it done.

We personally do our laundry ourselves -- usually once around mid-cruise -- but I know there are many people who don't want to be bothered (for various reasons) and so they opt to have it done for them.

As I said, YOUR choice!

Thanks for the quick response. Im one of those people that dont want to be bothered so I'll be sending my stuff out if need be. My cruise is 14 days and then we plan to spend a few days in Barcelona so I'm sure I'll need this service.

The stateroom bathrooms are a well-kept secret...well, from me at least. I can't make out in the 3-D pics whether or not there is a bath. Hardly a deal-breaker, I know...just don't want to fill my suitcase with bath salts, only to find no bath. :eek:

Cannot find anything on website - perhaps I'm not looking in the right places!

Can anyone give a description of bath/shower setup?

Also, is there one of those retractrable clothes line in the bathroom?

I assume the Regatta is the same as the Nautica..No tubs only showers in the staterooms.. Up to and including the cons. level. Don't know about the suites. I don't think we had a clothes line in 7021 but the laundry was handy and hangers can be used for in bathroom drying which we did not need or use. :)

The stateroom bathrooms are a well-kept secret...well, from me at least. I can't make out in the 3-D pics whether or not there is a bath. Hardly a deal-breaker, I know...just don't want to fill my suitcase with bath salts, only to find no bath. :eek:

Yes to the clothes line

Depends on the cabin Cat you are in

I think on the R-ships they have bathtubs in PH and above all other shower only

Marina has tubs in all except the insides

In the Penthouse suites and above (Vista and Owners suites) the bath is a combo tub/shower. In all standard cabins from category A on down, there is a shower stall, somewhat narrow but long enough for two if they are good friends, with a shower curtain.

The PH level and above will already have bath salts. The shower/tub combination in the PH suites has a glass half-door, and the long shower wall is a mirror. :eek:

The probably would prefer you use their products as they are environmentally safe.

The emphasize all their products do not pollute the ocean.

In the self service laundry you have to use their soap and not your own (although I am sure there are those who do use their own soap)

Well now, that's interesting about the laundry soap. I knew they provide it for you and I have always used it because it's a lot more convenient than bringing my own. But I had no idea they insist that you use their own! How they enforce such a rule since there's never been a guard on duty when I've been in the laundry room is another question! I think you're quite likely right that some people bring their own. (Of course, since they don't charge you for the soap ...)

In terms of bath salts, that brings up another question. On our 2005 and 2006 cruises, I had blown out by knee before the first and had surgery before the second. The chiropractor recommended bathing with epsom salts -- which I did. Fortunately for me, those were the two (and only two) cruises when we had an OS and VS respectively, so I poured the epsom salts into the jacuzzi and it really helped me. But I never thought to ask if the use of epsom salts was prohibited!

And you know what? Now that I am aware of restrictions, I don't think I would. I'm as environmentally conscious as anyone I know, but when I was hobbling around on a broken knee ... then I think my consciousness takes a back seat to comfort!

Fortunately, I don't need to soak in those epsom salted waters anymore ... until the next time.

The probably would prefer you use their products as they are environmentally safe.

The emphasize all their products do not pollute the ocean.

I do not think they dump the grey water into the ocean ... isn't there a law against that now anyway:confused:

I do not think they dump the grey water into the ocean ... isn't there a law against that now anyway:confused:

That's what I would have thought (had I ever given it a moment's thought before this discussion.... I have never cruised before) Actually I wouldn't have thought that the environmentally eco-friendly detergents/powders on the market would be any different to the ones the ships supply (whether they are free or there is a charge).

Fortunately, for me, I will not have the problem of bath salts as I won't have a bath. :(

But I will have extra room for souvenirs! :p

Thanks everyone for all the feedback regarding the bathroom.

Interesting to know about tubs in most categories aboard the Marina & I assume her sister ship - I must study their itineries. Well here I am, planning my second cruise before setting sail on my first. Another secret Oceania hasn't told me...it's addictive.

Nothing is dumped into the ocean anymore, all ships have complete recycling systems for everything.

Not correct. Ships have treatment plants. Some do a better job than others in treating grey water (water from showers, laundry etc.). Older ships tend to pollute more than the newer ships that have better treatment plants.

Grey water is dumped overboard. . There is no way a ship can store all of this "dirty" water. Some treatment systems make the water clean enough to drink (but it never is used that way).

If you bring your own, you are wasting space in your luggage. You don't have a choice as to whether you will use O's detergent or your own...O's detergent is AUTOMATICALLY dispensed into the washing machine when you push the start button.

.O's detergent is AUTOMATICALLY dispensed into the washing machine when you push the start button.

You have to push the dispenser button at least that is how it was on the Insignia & Regatta

On Marina you have to fill the cup from the dispenser & add it to the machine

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2645545540101934561tAxBPQ

As you all know, the showers are a bit small in most of the cabins. I went to the spa and found out that there are showers in each spa restroom with wonderful showers. The cruiseline provides a better grade of liquid soap, shampoo and conditioner in each shower. The spa also has hand and body lotions available for use as well that were fanastic. I went out and asked if they sold the hand lotion but unfortuately the spa does not. I did not like the one they had for sale.

The rooms open at 8 am which precludes using the showers after exercising early morning( gym opens at 6 am). There is a door from the gym to the restroom but it does not open until 8 am.

The perfume prices in the boutique were good. I saved tax plus a few dollars on my purchase.The boutique does allow for returns on clothing purchased on board.

While the specialty restaurants have a limitation on them, if there is an opening, they will let you come after you have exceeded your 1 or 2 visits.

If you are stopping at Cayo Levantado, you have time to do an excursion and go to the beach. The tour manager really does not make this clear during his talk.

Shhhhhhh!

What time does the spa close? I usually like to use the sauna before dinner. Very relaxing.

Saves on cocktails and negative calories (yes, I know it's just water weight)!

Shhhhhhh!

What time does the spa close? I usually like to use the sauna before dinner. Very relaxing.

Saves on cocktails and negative calories (yes, I know it's just water weight)!

JPR - I usually get my cocktail and bring it with me to the sauna before dinner - have the best of both worlds....:p

If you are using the Miami airport, to arrive or return home. Do not take the cruise line's transportation to or from the airport. A taxi costs $26. The line uses buses to transport their passengers and charges $60 each to pick up and $75 each to take one to the airport. There is a taxi line upon leaving the ship and it moves quickly. No reservations are needed to take a taxi. There are even mini vans that can take at least 3 people(we had 3 and the luggage space we filled the space so that's why I say 3) for the same fee.

Save some money and have better service!

Archived