If ship is rocking....

tyrod15

Wife, daughter, and I are going on the Dream in January 2012. Going western caribbean. Have seen many posts on Dream. Many talk about how much movement is felt. Others don't. So, alot of movement or not?? Getting ready to book and still trying to decide whether to go middle or up front...thanks;)

I have been on the Dream in 30 foot seas and in dead calm conditions... on the same cruise.

I don't believe she moves any more than any other ship I've been on. The motion I noticed most was pitching... the bow and stern rising and lowering... very little roll from port to starboard...

:)

Wife, daughter, and I are going on the Dream in January 2012. Going western caribbean. Have seen many posts on Dream. Many talk about how much movement is felt. Others don't. So, alot of movement or not?? Getting ready to book and still trying to decide whether to go middle or up front...thanks;)

Motion is dependent on:

1. Weather and wave conditions (the worse the weather, or the larger the waves, the more you'll feel)

2. Boat size and weight (ever been on a 40 ft sailboat in 10 foot waves? It moves a lot more than a megaton cruise ship)

3. Personal sensitivity (everyone has different vestibular sensitivity. Its why some of us can go on spinny rides and others get sick just looking at them)

4. Alcohol consumption :) (the more you drink, the more ethanol permeates your inner ear. Its why some drunk people experience the spins)

I took a southern caribbean cruise last year and repeated a similar one on a different line this year. When we were in "moderate" seas (as the bridge report told me) we had 4-8 foot swells and could certainly feel it. Although it was by no means bothersome

When we were in "slight" seas we had 1-4 foot swells and couldn't feel it at all.

If you're concerned, I'd recommend starting a regimen of 1-2 bonine per day for 24 hours prior to your trip and continuing every day regardless of conditions. At least you won't get sick that way!

I think there is a common mis-conception out there that the larger the ship the less the movement.

Iv been told the newer bigger ships have much better stablizers and thats why you feel less movement.

I know several people who only get seasick on Fantasy class ships.

All modern cruise ships have stabalizers which help with the roll of the ship. However, if its rough you will feel it no matter the size of the ship or stateroom location.

A transantlantic, bermuda, or a crusie from a port north of Florida will have the greatest chance of rough seas. Western Carib. is not usually as rough as the atlantic (except for hurricane season then all bets are off).

Ginger ale and fresh air are your friends if you feel a little off.

All modern cruise ships have stabalizers which help with the roll of the ship. However, if its rough you will feel it no matter the size of the ship or stateroom location.

A transantlantic, bermuda, or a crusie from a port north of Florida will have the greatest chance of rough seas. Western Carib. is not usually as rough as the atlantic (except for hurricane season then all bets are off).

Ginger ale and fresh air are your friends if you feel a little off.

Good post!!!

If you're concerned, I'd recommend starting a regimen of 1-2 bonine per day for 24 hours prior to your trip and continuing every day regardless of conditions. At least you won't get sick that way!

I agree 100%, been doing this for years. Also, stay away from the front of the ship...to me that's where you feel it the most if there is any movement due to rough seas. Been thru some bad seas on a few cruises and the bonine has done the trick. Good luck and enjoy the cruise. We leave for Western Carribean on Valor on Sunday and I will be starting my bonine on Friday night.

I agree 100%, been doing this for years. Also, stay away from the front of the ship...to me that's where you feel it the most if there is any movement due to rough seas. Been thru some bad seas on a few cruises and the bonine has done the trick. Good luck and enjoy the cruise. We leave for Western Carribean on Valor on Sunday and I will be starting my bonine on Friday night.

i totally agree with the Bonine. I also take it for a day or two after I am home. Have never had a problem!

Was on the Dream November 2010 and for the first time I felt more rocking than normal. This was in both directions, front to back and side to side. I have been on over 18 cruises and never once felt ill, but I did on this one. DH says it is because the waters doing the Caribbean in the winter months of Nov, Dec, and Jan. can be rougher than other months.

I will tell you that our cabin was directly front on Deck 9. When we would leave the room and go lower and more towards the center of the ship, I felt nothing.

I would recommend a mid ship cabin around decks 5,6,7. Of course this is only one persons opinion.

We are sailing her again in end of May and took a cabin more central. The ship is beautiful and would not want to give up the opportunity to sail her again when all we have to do is change cabin location.

Enjoy your cruise.

Has anyone been on the Triumph and the Dream? When I was on the Triumph there was some movement, nothing that bothered me but, can someone compare the two ships for me? Like, is one worse than the other? I read that the dream is pretty bad

Has anyone been on the Triumph and the Dream? When I was on the Triumph there was some movement, nothing that bothered me but, can someone compare the two ships for me? Like, is one worse than the other? I read that the dream is pretty bad

Any ship regardless of size is going to move or not move in response to the conditions of the sea. The higher the waves the more the movement.

Waves are caused by 'fetch'... wind moving a distance over the water. The stronger the wind and the farther it travels the bigger the swells. The bigger the swells the more movement.

Little can be done about it. The purpose of the stabilizers is to minimize roll... the left to right action. Not much at all can be done about pitch, however...

:)

Archived