Please don't shoot me-looking for a staight answer

CanadaDeb

Go here to see the results of a recent poll.......

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1390285

A recent poll showing only the results of a few hundred people only here on CC, not indicative of the general cruising population at all. It's an interesting survey but it's no more accurate than going to a political rally and asking for a survey response to any of the hot-button topics of the day. It's not going to be representative of the general public.

I cannot imagine taking a relaxing and an enjoyable cruise vacation and being so uptight about what others may be wearing-let alone find it 'insulting' We hardly notice and frankly we just don't care.

In the grand scheme of things it is truly not worth getting hot and bothered about. As for polls....we know what dogs use them for.

Because it seems that it's mainly the men who protest dressing up. According to the poll, the men are wearing jackets etc. so one can assume that the women are also properly dressed.

A vast number of women wear dress slacks and a "dressy "shirt, how is that any different from men wearing dress slacks and a dress shirt?

You must be a guy. Two different kinds of trouser suits, which can vary widely by fabric, cut, level of detailwork. I own a handful of matching jackets/slacks for daytime/work but which are definitely not "formal," and then I also own a women's tuxedo (forgive me, I was having an Annie Hall moment -- it seldom leaves the closet!). But lots of women have evening trouser suits with blazers that are sequined, etc., and often the pants have flowy legs and are made out of a chiffon-type fabric, which are acceptable formal wear (in Princess's definition).

Nope...I am a woman and I am aware of the differences of a formal pantsuit and a casual daytime pantsuit. I do find it very silly for Princess to have both listed as to what is acceptable for the different nights which I think causes more confusion or excuses. While many women are aware of the differences, there are also many women who don't or simply choose to make an excuse that their cotton pants with their dressy top with glitter is their definition of acceptable formal wear. IMO, and I know many will disagree, I don't think Princess should have added "trouser suit for ladies" to their list of formal wear. It just gets way to tricky and creates a "anything goes" attitude for the formal nights on women's dress.

Because there are a lot of us who truely enjoy it and Princess knows there is a market for it. Why not cruise Carnival where they have no formal evenings? Your choice
I believe Carnival does have formal nights...it is NCL where formal is optional.

A recent poll showing only the results of a few hundred people only here on CC, not indicative of the general cruising population at all. It's an interesting survey but it's no more accurate than going to a political rally and asking for a survey response to any of the hot-button topics of the day. It's not going to be representative of the general public.

This appears to be contradictory to your post #101??? which stated you do not need a tie. What is this based on? All ships and all Maitr de's in the fleet or just your personal sampling?

This appears to be contradictory to your post #101??? which stated you do not need a tie. What is this based on? All ships and all Maitr de's in the fleet or just your personal sampling?

Explain how you believe the two posts are contradictory. In #101 I posted that I do not wear a tie with my dress slacks and dress shirt, never have and likely never will. In post #103 I don't reference my choice of attire at all, I describe that the results of the poll are biased because of the targetted audience. As for my sample size, it's 14 cruises with Princess, 34 formal nights total and never having been turned away on any ship (or ever seeing anyone else turned away in similar attire) while wearing the same choice of clothing every time. I have seen a couple people turned away wearing short-sleeves but never have seen someone turned away with long-sleeves and no tie, hence the specific reference to long-sleeved shirts.

Why not, no formal night at all.let everyone enjoy themself with good food without having to dress up and hostile stares..
Because many do enjoy themselves by dressing up for a special evening. Dressing formally does not equate to not enjoying oneself but rather puts everyone participating in a celebratory mood. It's not the same old, same old but a special evening that many enjoy.

If you don't want to dress up, there are other options. Princess is pretty clear about the existence of formal nights and you book the cruise knowing that. I don't always do formal nights and when I don't, I go to the buffet, a specialty restaurant or room service.

Odd...on my Caribbean cruises, I recall the dining room - the whole ship, in fact - being air conditioned. Has Princess cut back to the occasional ceiling fan?

Cute. No they haven't cut back - it just wasn't as cold in the caribbean as it was in Alaska and the Baltics, even with the A/C on it was warmer walking by the doors to the outside near where we sat having cocktails and things. Also, when you've had a lot of sun during the day and come in from outside you can tend to feel a little warm and therefore be happy feeling cooler with your jacket off at night. Don't get me wrong, as a lady I needed a little sweater some nights inside, but not as often as I did during our cooler climate cruises. Maybe it's just me!! :)

Archived