Please don't shoot me-looking for a staight answer

CanadaDeb

"please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues" seems clear to me as to what is expected.

I agree.

What i was referring to was the Patters, which simply say Formal. I think that if some explanation of what is expected was added here then it might help stop the general dumbing down of what is - as some have already said - a special occasion.

I also think it might be nice for Princess to explore the possibility of making specific areas of the ship formal dress for that night, so for example the atrium areas, art gallery and some lounges. This would prove that that they are taking formal night seriously, it would reinforce the specialness of the evening and would leave those who feel that they can erode or flout the occasion in no doubt that they are out of step. Perhaps in order not to alienate those who do not wish to take part some 'special' events could be held in other areas such as the Horizon Court etc.

Hi All,

Is a dress for me and cotton dress pants and an open neck dress shirt acceptable for formal nights in MDR? Would people be offended if we showed up dressed like that? We did the gown and tux thing on our last cruise but thought we'd tone it down this time around. As I said, please don't shoot me :o Thanks

NO!!!! It is NOT acceptable per the Princess Answer Book dress code guidelines. There are some on this forum that are trying to push their personal agenda of "dressing down" who will tell you it is OK. You may or may not be let in the MDR depending on the Maitre de.

I agree.

What i was referring to was the Patters, which simply say Formal. I think that if some explanation of what is expected was added here then it might help stop the general dumbing down of what is - as some have already said - a special occasion.

I also think it might be nice for Princess to explore the possibility of making specific areas of the ship formal dress for that night, so for example the atrium areas, art gallery and some lounges. This would prove that that they are taking formal night seriously, it would reinforce the specialness of the evening and would leave those who feel that they can erode or flout the occasion in no doubt that they are out of step. Perhaps in order not to alienate those who do not wish to take part some 'special' events could be held in other areas such as the Horizon Court etc.

The front page of the Patter on the 3/28 Emerald Princess Caribbean Cruise stated the Dress Code ( their words) for Formal and Smart Casual as follows,

"Formal: A Dinner jacket or dark business suit for gentlemen and a full length evening gown, cocktail dress or trouser suit for ladies."

"Smart Casual: An open neck shirt and slacks for gentlemen and a dress, skirt,and blouse or trouser suit for ladies."

It can't get any clearer than this. Perhaps that is why this cruise had few people who did not follow the dress code in the dining rooms.

Why not do a poll and ask what the women are wearing? Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. :D;)

Because it seems that it's mainly the men who protest dressing up. According to the poll, the men are wearing jackets etc. so one can assume that the women are also properly dressed.

Hi All,

Is a dress for me and cotton dress pants and an open neck dress shirt acceptable for formal nights in MDR? Would people be offended if we showed up dressed like that? We did the gown and tux thing on our last cruise but thought we'd tone it down this time around. As I said, please don't shoot me :o Thanks

Yes, in all honesty I would be offended.

I think if hubby wears a tie it will pass. I wouldn't go in without a tie on it's just not appropriate to go with an open shirt. A tie and sports jacket would be more appropriate I guess, but at the very least a tie. We no longer attend formal nights, but when we did I wore a cocktail dress and hubby wore dress pants, a nice dress shirt and tie. We were in the caribbean at the time so a sports jacket was too hot for him and he was fine without the jacket - not many were wearing them on our cruise, but we saw some wearing a full blown tux. You'll get a million answers here! :) A tie is a must though for the dining rooms on formal night.

We were in the caribbean at the time so a sports jacket was too hot for him and he was fine without the jacket - not many were wearing them on our cruise, but we saw some wearing a full blown tux. .

Odd...on my Caribbean cruises, I recall the dining room - the whole ship, in fact - being air conditioned. Has Princess cut back to the occasional ceiling fan?

The front page of the Patter on the 3/28 Emerald Princess Caribbean Cruise stated the Dress Code ( their words) for Formal and Smart Casual as follows,

"Formal: A Dinner jacket or dark business suit for gentlemen and a full length evening gown, cocktail dress or trouser suit for ladies."

"Smart Casual: An open neck shirt and slacks for gentlemen and a dress, skirt,and blouse or trouser suit for ladies."

It can't get any clearer than this. Perhaps that is why this cruise had few people who did not follow the dress code in the dining rooms.

That seems a little odd....they have "trouser suit for ladies" on smart casual nights then also "trouser suit for ladies" on Formal nights??

Why would this offend you? According to Wiktionary these are the definitions of offend and I cant see how someone wearing what the OP described as offensive.

1. (transitive) To hurt the feelings of; to displease; to make angry; to insult.
    Your accusations offend me deeply.
  2. (intransitive) To feel or become offended, take insult. Don't worry. I don't offend easily.
  3. (transitive) To physically harm, pain Strong light offends the eye.
  4. (transitive) To annoy, cause discomfort or resent. Physically enjoyable frivolity can still offend the conscience
  5. (intransitive) To sin, transgress divine law or moral rules
  6. (transitive) To transgress or violate a law or moral requirement.
  7. (obsolete) (transitive, archaic, Biblical) To cause to stumble; to cause to sin or to fall.

Odd...on my Caribbean cruises, I recall the dining room - the whole ship, in fact - being air conditioned. Has Princess cut back to the occasional ceiling fan?

They're going for that whole "Rick's Cafe" vibe. Haven't you noticed on your recent cruises, everything is in black and white?

That seems a little odd....they have "trouser suit for ladies" on smart casual nights then also "trouser suit for ladies" on Formal nights??

You must be a guy. Two different kinds of trouser suits, which can vary widely by fabric, cut, level of detailwork. I own a handful of matching jackets/slacks for daytime/work but which are definitely not "formal," and then I also own a women's tuxedo (forgive me, I was having an Annie Hall moment -- it seldom leaves the closet!). But lots of women have evening trouser suits with blazers that are sequined, etc., and often the pants have flowy legs and are made out of a chiffon-type fabric, which are acceptable formal wear (in Princess's definition).

I wear a tux, but never pay much attention to what others are wearing. I have seen men without jacket and tie on every cruise and no one seemed to pay much attention. And if you get turned away, you will find virtually the same food the buffet, except the rubbery tasteless lobster.

And a cruisline that charges you for their service is NOT a host. It is a service provider and we are paying customers, and should be treated as such.

I wear a tux, but never pay much attention to what others are wearing. I have seen men without jacket and tie on every cruise and no one seemed to pay much attention. And if you get turned away, you will find virtually the same food the buffet, except the rubbery tasteless lobster.

And a cruisline that charges you for their service is NOT a host. It is a service provider and we are paying customers, and should be treated as such.

Why not do a poll and ask what the women are wearing? Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. :D;)
As mentioned in the recent poll comments, us guys lack the vocabulary to adequately describe women's options.

Perhaps you would like to try?

Go here to see the results of a recent poll.......

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1390285

Thanks for the reference.

That poll clearly answers the issue by saying " I can't answer for what you should wear, but here is what I wear on Formal Night "

Trying to tell anyone what they must wear is rather pointless, as they will make their personal choice anyhow, regardless or according to guidelines.

Personally speaking, I dress well for a nice romantic "evening out" with my wife, and if our tablemates choose to dress casually I believe it takes away from the ambience that we, and Princess Cruise lines, are trying to establish. On two such occasions when I wore a tuxedo and my wife a formal gown we were approached at the end of the meal by the Maitre'D and asked if we would like to change tables (to move away from inconsiderate tablemates). Princess believes that much in pleasing passengers by these special nights and they can see the mismatch in attire can impact the enjoyment.

this is what dw always says on a princess cruise.the women dress horrible, no formal in their attire whatsoever.Cheap sundresses or dressy tops with skirts that looked like they were from wal-mart.

Don't forget the women who wear black polyester pants with the glitter top that leaves a clump of glitter on the back of the chair and a trail throughout the ship. I get offended when my wife has to brush the glitter off the back of my dark suit.

It would not bother us in the least. Offended? Not at all...after all it is a vacation.

And if you decide to skip dinner in the MDR you will really not be missing that much ...just another banquet style meal (lobster will be tough, well overcooked, and lacking in taste).

Hi All,

Add a tie...a long tie..a clip on tie..a bowtie.............and have a ball. You will laugh when you hear my story. I found a black knit short, A-line nightgown at a store.(on sale) It was totally simple, A- line with a square neck. I went to JoAnn's, bought some pre-sequented ribbon...fairly wide..and sewed it around the neck, front and back. Then I bought the pre ruffled black silky ruffles they sell...sewed it ( hand sewing..no machines involved) around the bottom, front and back, ..and then added the sequined ribbon around the bottom....where I sewed the ruffle on. Then I did put on black stockings..nylons and wore black sandals. I looked slim too.

I KID YOU NOT..I GOT more compliments on that "dress" than anything I have ever worn. It packed easy because it was knit. It was like ..wearing your nightgown. I wore a small black hair ornament..to give it sort of a drop waisted 20"s look....some dangling cosmetic jewelry ear rings..and nothing out.It cost pennies and a minimum of $$$$............Now that I have learned how easy it is to 'fancy" up ANYTHING BLACK, short AND SIMPLE.........I will never pack or wear uncomfortable clothes on formal night again.

Why not, no formal night at all.let everyone enjoy themself with good food without having to dress up and hostile stares..

i wish that princess would try this. Designate one of the dining rooms as formal dress required. That way there would not be any misunderstanding......the formal people would all be happy and the informal people would be happy......but you know what, i"ll bet you the same people would be at the formal dining room door balking that they paid good money and they want in........

.........Personally speaking, I dress well for a nice romantic "evening out" with my wife, and if our tablemates choose to dress casually I believe it takes away from the ambience that we, and Princess Cruise lines, are trying to establish. On two such occasions when I wore a tuxedo and my wife a formal gown we were approached at the end of the meal by the Maitre'D and asked if we would like to change tables (to move away from inconsiderate tablemates). Princess believes that much in pleasing passengers by these special nights and they can see the mismatch in attire can impact the enjoyment.

EXACTLY!! Thank you! (Princess is simply doing what most all upscale restaurants in major cities do: require at least a minimum of decorum.)

Yes, they are a service provider. And part of that service is to provide a certain ambience in a few areas for 4 hours out of 168 hours. That's 2% of the time. I simply do not understand the controversy.

Why not, no formal night at all.let everyone enjoy themself with good food without having to dress up and hostile stares..

Because there are a lot of us who truely enjoy it and Princess knows there is a market for it. Why not cruise Carnival where they have no formal evenings? Your choice

We found that there were just as many men in suits and tuxes on our one Carnival cruise as there were on any Celebrity, Hal, or Princess cruise that we have taken.

I am not quite sure why people direct others who prefer casual to select a Carnival cruise.

I usually do not respond to this topic...I try to keep my blood pressure down....as I find it so annoying.....

Wear what you want...as long as it covers you and your bits. I would say that a woman with her breasts hanging out .....is just as wrong as others would find a person not wearing (their opinion of) formal wear. I do not feel you are nearly as rude and disrespectful when you where more casual clothes as you are when you are doing something that may put others in danger....or are being insensitive....

But these are just my thoughts....mind yourself....and most everything else will work out....

Hi All,

It's not too different from what I wear on formal nights (dark colored dress slacks and long-sleeved dress shirt, no tie) and I've yet to ever be turned away from the dining room. Make sure the dress shirt has long sleeves, the chance of being turned back appears to be higher if there's short sleeves involved.

Archived