Please don't shoot me-looking for a staight answer

CanadaDeb

Hi All,

Is a dress for me and cotton dress pants and an open neck dress shirt acceptable for formal nights in MDR? Would people be offended if we showed up dressed like that? We did the gown and tux thing on our last cruise but thought we'd tone it down this time around. As I said, please don't shoot me :o Thanks

Suggest you go to the buffet on those nights. You will look out of place dressed like that. We don't do final either and on our last cruise the head waiter told us ton come anyway but we didn't because we knew we would look and feel out of place. The buffet will have many of the dining room menu options for you to choose from.

Suggest you go to the buffet on those nights. You will look out of place dressed like that. We don't do formal either and on our last cruise the head waiter told us to come anyway but we didn't because we knew we would look and feel out of place. The buffet will have many of the dining room menu options for you to choose from.

Personally I'd suggest adding a tie and/or jacket for the male of the group, just to cover the bases. You can always take the jacket off and put it on the back of the chair.

Also, TD versus AD is a factor. If you are in TD and your tablemates dress up, will that be an issue? You can't know until you get there.

Hi All,

Is a dress for me and cotton dress pants and an open neck dress shirt acceptable for formal nights in MDR? Would people be offended if we showed up dressed like that? We did the gown and tux thing on our last cruise but thought we'd tone it down this time around. As I said, please don't shoot me :o Thanks

Your companion may or may not be allowed in the dining room, but chances are that he won't be turned away. It's a gamble if you're willing to take it. As for whether it's acceptable, I have yet to see a definition of Formal as you've described. Most passengers respect the request to be dressier, if not exactly formal.

Hi All,

Occasionally we don't take any formal clothes--but....we would never go to the MDR not dressed properly--On a larger ship we will go to the Crown Grill--dressed well--ut, no tux or long gown--In the summer all the sundresses are long and look nice---On the Tahiti cruises we don't always take formal clothes. Do you have a reason to not dress for formal night--Many times we are in a full suite and have our meal brought to the room.

It's not diffiicult to dress for formal night--just don't know why it seems to be a problem --since the same people want to go to the MDR--Just go to a specialty dining room if you don't care to dress for the MDR.

Nancy:D:D

I think you will be just fine! My husband and i have 20 plus cruises with princess and he has always worn cotton pants , a turtleneck and a sport coat to formal night in the dining roon--no problem. However jeans and a t-shirt would be inappropriate. Just have fun, and don't worry what a few people might think!

It sounds like I'm in the minority, CNDDB1, but I totally disagree with all the advice that you've been given.

That's EXACTLY how my husband and I dressed for both formal nights last year on the Island Princess. (Dress for me, slacks and a open shirt/no jacket for him). Absolutely NOBODY, including the Maitre D', gave any indication that they cared in the least that we weren't as dressy as some people. And we didn't care in the least that some people were more dressy than us.

I really wish that people would stop obsessing about this formal dressing thing. As long as you aren't in shorts or a bathing suit, wear what you want and go have dinner in the Main Dining Room. There's no reason that you should have to feel like a 2nd class citizen and be relegated (whether it is self-relegated or not) to the buffet.

If your host, Princess, requests you dress formal for the dining room on a particular evening, then the polite and respectful thing to do is dress formally or make other arrangements for the evening. Slacks and shirt is not formal dress.

Occasionally we don't take any formal clothes--but....we would never go to the MDR not dressed properly--On a larger ship we will go to the Crown Grill--dressed well--ut, no tux or long gown--In the summer all the sundresses are long and look nice---On the Tahiti cruises we don't always take formal clothes. Do you have a reason to not dress for formal night--Many times we are in a full suite and have our meal brought to the room.

It's not diffiicult to dress for formal night--just don't know why it seems to be a problem --since the same people want to go to the MDR--Just go to a specialty dining room if you don't care to dress for the MDR.

Nancy:D:D

On our 14 day cruise on the Grand in February - the Princess Patters specified formal wear was also required in the specialty restaurants - not sure if it's a new thing or just something the Grand does.

Hi All,

Hi: No one is going to shoot you. A simple answer to a simple question: No. cotton dress pants/open shirt is NOT acceptable for a FORMAL NIGHT. Sorry. Perhaps the buffet would do nicely for that attire.

Enjoy your cruise.

It sounds like I'm in the minority, CNDDB1, but I totally disagree with all the advice that you've been given.

That's EXACTLY how my husband and I dressed for formal night last year on the Island Princess. Absolutely NOBODY, including the Maitre D', gave any indication that they cared in the least that we weren't as dressy as some people. And we didn't care in the least that some people were more dressy than us.

I really wish that people would stop obsessing about this formal dressing thing. As long as you aren't in shorts or a bathing suit, wear what you want and go have dinner in the Main Dining Room. There's no reason that you should have to feel like a 2nd class citizen and be relegated (whether it is self-relegated or not) to the buffet.

I am in the minority as well, but not really. I think if your husband takes a tie (no jacket is really required - and why would it matter if you are going to put it over the back of your chair anyway??), he should be fine. It takes up very little space and he can always take it off right after dinner. My DH owns a tux and it has gone on well over 25 cruises but now just takes a pair of black slacks (usually Dockers), with a dress shirt and tie. He never tries to sneak past anyone but simply asks if they would prefer he eat at the buffet. He has always been told he is perfectly welcome in the main dining room on formal night and that is on every cruiseline which with we've sailed.

You know, with the airlines being so stingy about the luggage you can haul, we really just try to pack lighter and a man's suit? there is just no need to carry all that extra stuff along. I think the cruiselines are getting wise to this and allowing a more relaxed / casual atmosphere. And -- it doesn't bother me at all what someone else is wearing at dinner -- the only time anything like that would bother me is if they stunk to high heaven because they or their clothes were filthy dirty. And that, I haven't seen but if I did, then I would just get up and ask to be reseated elsewhere.

I think you will be just fine! My husband and i have 20 plus cruises with princess and he has always worn cotton pants , a turtleneck and a sport coat to formal night in the dining roon--no problem. However jeans and a t-shirt would be inappropriate. Just have fun, and don't worry what a few people might think!

Sorry to respond as I do, but it is JUST MY OPINION. I personally think it's rude of guests to ignore the request of their host, i.e. the cruise line, to wear cotton pants, turtlenecks, open shirts for Formal Night!

The only exception I have found, also being on as many or more cruises on Princess and other lines, was NCL...They do not really have a "formal night"..It's called "dress up or not"...not a request from the Host, to dress more formally.

Please, no flaming...This was JMHO.!

Dress as you choose, but I wouldn't recommend to advise others to as well. I have seen people turned away at the DR entrance for not being dressed appropriately for the evening's dress requests.

Princess Cruise Line is not a "host". In this respect, they are nothing more than a floating restaurant and I am a paying customer. Like any restaurant, they have the right to set a dress code and they do this by forbidding shorts and bathing suits in the dining room at dinner. However, for "formal nights", they do NOT have a dress code regarding a particular level of "formality". They do not require women to wear dresses; they do not require men to wear a coat and tie.

If and until Princess establishes a REQUIRED dress code for formal night, you and I have the right to wear what we want (short of bathing suits and shorts, of course, because those are expressly forbidden).

On the cruise I recently took, my Dad didn't get let into the dining room on the second formal night in a short sleeve button-up shirt with a tie. He had to go back to the room to get a jacket. I wore a similar outfit with the exception of wearing a long sleeve shirt, and got in with no problem. We all wore suits on the first formal night.

We had persons at the adjacent table on last cruise who did not dress formally on the formal nights. Our table who followed the ship's request were insulted that they would come dressed so inappropriately. We also felt that the maitre'd should not have allowed them in the main dining room. Their behavior during the meals was about as rude as their dress!

Princess Cruise Line is not a "host". In this respect, they are nothing more than a floating restaurant and I am a paying customer. Like any restaurant, they have the right to set a dress code and they do this by forbidding shorts and bathing suits in the dining room at dinner. However, for "formal nights", they do NOT have a dress code regarding a particular level of "formality". They do not require women to wear dresses; they do not require men to wear a coat and tie.

If and until Princess establishes a REQUIRED dress code for formal night, you and I have the right to wear what we want (short of bathing suits and shorts, of course, because those are expressly forbidden).

I agree with your sentiment completely. Princess is in no way a "host". They are a service provider. And you are right, the formal definition is a recommendation not a requirement, although it is requested that it be observed "for the enjoyment of all guests". The enforced code is no pool/beach-wear, shorts, ball caps, frayed/casual jean (at dinner anyway), and shoes must be worn.

I will be going on my first Alaska cruise in June, I have been on a number of cruises and have always dressed quite formal for the formal nights. I am wondering, (because I have heard), people dont dress quite as fancy or formal on Alaska sailings.

So all you experts out there, is formal night on an Alaska cruise really formal or a nice black dress from my daughters wedding ok?

Thanks!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GradUT viewpost.gif

That's EXACTLY how my husband and I dressed for formal night last year on the Island Princess. Absolutely NOBODY, including the Maitre D', gave any indication that they cared in the least that we weren't as dressy as some people. And we didn't care in the least that some people were more dressy than us.

I am in the minority as well, but not really. I think if your husband takes a tie (no jacket is really required - and why would it matter if you are going to put it over the back of your chair anyway??), he should be fine. It takes up very little space and he can always take it off right after dinner. My DH owns a tux and it has gone on well over 25 cruises but now just takes a pair of black slacks (usually Dockers), with a dress shirt and tie. He never tries to sneak past anyone but simply asks if they would prefer he eat at the buffet. He has always been told he is perfectly welcome in the main dining room on formal night and that is on every cruiseline which with we've sailed.

You know, with the airlines being so stingy about the luggage you can haul, we really just try to pack lighter and a man's suit? there is just no need to carry all that extra stuff along. I think the cruiselines are getting wise to this and allowing a more relaxed / casual atmosphere. And -- it doesn't bother me at all what someone else is wearing at dinner -- the only time anything like that would bother me is if they stunk to high heaven because they or their clothes were filthy dirty. And that, I haven't seen but if I did, then I would just get up and ask to be reseated elsewhere.

You are not in the minority, I totally agree. Formal night is becoming what used to be called "smart casual", neatly dressed, no jeans, shorts, or t-shirts, and more and more of us are opting for no suits and gowns.

Hi All,

So, the title of your thread is "please don't shoot me, looking for a straight answer". Well, the answer isssssss..... you are NOT GOING TO GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER. Ever. Never. Not going to happen. :(

Therefore, do what you want. You have cruised before. You know what to expect. You know what is expected. To ask for a "straight answer" to base your clothing options on is not a good plan, because what you WILL end up with are 160 opinions. Mine won't be one of them. Have a great cruise....... :rolleyes:

From the Princess "Cruise Answer Book"

Formal:

o Evening gowns, cocktail dfresses, or elegant pant suit for women

o Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

Etiquette:

o When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all of our guests.

Looks to me that Princess does "have a dress code regarding a particular level of formality."

From the Princess "Cruise Answer Book"

Formal:

o Evening gowns, cocktail dfresses, or elegant pant suit for women

o Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

Etiquette:

o When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all of our guests.

Looks to me that Princess does "have a dress code regarding a particular level of formality."

And, those abiding by and answering based on their own personal experience whereby the vast majority of passengers respect the request, are not obsessing. Formal night is meant to be a very special night, including a special menu, and dressing in casual clothing degrades the specialness.

Archived