Please don't shoot me-looking for a staight answer

CanadaDeb

When booking cruises for my clients the question I get everytime is "Do I have to wear a formal dress or a tux?"

My answer is this: It is your vacation you can wear what ever you want, however the cruiseline does have restrictions on what can not be worn in the MDR. If you want to eat in your swimming suit and shorts, eat at the buffet, eat by the pool, get room service.

However if you want to eat in the dining room on Formal Night, dress the part. Formal can be interpreted in many ways based on where you come from and what kind of lifestyle you live.

I went to a formal event over Thanksgiving and the men where sporting their new Wranglers, a cowboy shirt and a jacket with their cowboy boots shined up for the occassion. The gals were wearing nice dresses, some long some short some tight some loose. Everyone looked great.

I am not easliy offended if someone is not dressed like me or is wearing a cotten dress in the dining room. If we all could get off our high horses and stop judging others we would all have a real good time.

So thats my 2 cents and I wont be offended if you disagree because those who care don't matter and those who matter don't care.;)

I really don't care if people dress formally or not, but wish they would just admit that if they don't dress formally, it's because they choose not to. It has nothing to do with airline luggage restrictions.

Thank you!

How much luggage space, after all, would a presentable vest and bow tie take up? (OK, it may not be up to code, but at least it looks like you're making an effort.)

Seems to me that in these endless threads, some primal political drama is being played out: the individual vs. the community. "I have the money to buy what I want, so I'll do what I want, and if those around me don't like it, tough." vs. "You signed on to be part of a community, be it ever so temporary and artificial, so act like it." And then there's "I'm going against the masses; ain't I a rugged individual because I'm underdressed?" silliness.

If the underlying conflicts weren't so basic, I bet these threads wouldn't generate such heat.

I wish that Princess would try this. Designate one of the Dining Rooms as formal dress required. That way there would not be any misunderstanding......The Formal people would all be happy and the informal people would be happy......but you know what, i"ll bet you the same people would be at the formal dining room door balking that they paid good money and they want in........

I wish that Princess would try this. Designate one of the Dining Rooms as formal dress required. That way there would not be any misunderstanding......The Formal people would all be happy and the informal people would be happy......but you know what, i"ll bet you the same people would be at the formal dining room door balking that they paid good money and they want in........

Conversely, Princess has designated the Horizon Court for casual dining on formal night. So, in essence, they have determined the remaining dining rooms to be formal.

Sounds like a good idea, except...you'd probably end up with the same problem as with the erstwhile four specialty dining rooms on the Sapphire: capacity control. Some cruises the formal room would be overbooked, others the non-formal, and either way you'd have guys who lugged tuxes miffed to be in a room full of polo shirts.

For what its worth, and its usually not worth much I find on here. I have no problem with there being a dress code on formal nights. Its as easy as if you choose not to participate by dressing formally, then there are other dining options for you. One thing that I do find hypocritical is that all the discussion is always about what the male is wearing. How about what the woman is wearing? If a man must wear a coat and tie, then I think the women should have the the same scrutiny in their outfit as well. Sun dresses are not formal wear, neither are skirts with a cotton top that has been bedazzled. I just think that in all fairness, women need to pay a lot more attention to what they are wearing then they are criticizing what the men are wearing. Like i said, for what its worth.......

living in Arizona I have seen very sharp tuxedos made of denim. Then there are tuxedos for the formal scottsman. We have not seen the dress pants or dress shirt the op is talking about. These threads usually focus on the guy. I wear a tux because it is the only time in the year I get to wear it. I do find it very uncomfortable and remove the jacket the first chance it get. Formal night is always the night with the best food and I am supposed to enjoy it with a tie on. The tie gets loosened when the food arrives. Ladies please try eating a lobster with a tie on.

Respectfully suggest you check the fit. I find no reason to remove the jacket or loosen the tie on either my tux OR formal attire. If it fits properly, it shouldn't be uncomfortable. (And I'm a retired guy who rarely wears a tie, or even a watch.)

OK so what you are telling me is that I have waisted 17.5 hours of my life dedazzling my lime green tshirt that I planned to wear with a black skirt in the dining room on formal night on my upcoming cruise? :D Geez thats alot of life I will never get back. Guess I will just have to wear it at the pool.:p

For what its worth, and its usually not worth much I find on here. I have no problem with there being a dress code on formal nights. Its as easy as if you choose not to participate by dressing formally, then there are other dining options for you. One thing that I do find hypocritical is that all the discussion is always about what the male is wearing. How about what the woman is wearing? If a man must wear a coat and tie, then I think the women should have the the same scrutiny in their outfit as well. Sun dresses are not formal wear, neither are skirts with a cotton top that has been bedazzled. I just think that in all fairness, women need to pay a lot more attention to what they are wearing then they are criticizing what the men are wearing. Like i said, for what its worth.......

Wow, I've never seen a wedding invitation with a dress code. How snobby!!!!

I have received several wedding or event invites indicating "black tie". I wouldn't dream of dishonoring their request by arriving in anything but formal attire.

This would all be resolved if everyone who wants to participate in formal night dress as requested AND if Princess would enforce it's guidelines for appropriate dress.

Kuddo's to you PescadoAmarillo for calling it like it is. I too am very tired of hearing the packing excuse for not dressing on formal evenings. Please, do we not need X number of items of clothing for X number of days. We pack a val pack with our formal clothes, husband's suit, dress shirts, shoes, ties. I also toss in my formal wear. This is just what we do and have done for the past 17 cruises, flying or not. We will be sailing in just over two weeks on the Sapphire, driving to the pier so luggage weight is no issue, but for this cruise we have decided not to do formal nights. This is a first for us and this will be our 18th cruise. The first formal evening we will "dine" in the Horizion Court, our second formal evening we will do the Sterling Steakhouse, we will however be dressed in very nice clothes, not a suit for DH or velvet pantsuit for me, but dressed in slacks and dress shirt for hubby, and black slacks and a dressy top with some bling for me. We will give it a go and see how it feels, who knows we may decide we like not doing formal evenings in the dining room any more . Always a new adventure!:)

this is what dw always says on a princess cruise.the women dress horrible, no formal in their attire whatsoever.Cheap sundresses or dressy tops with skirts that looked like they were from wal-mart.

Kuddo's to you PescadoAmarillo for calling it like it is. I too am very tired of hearing the packing excuse for not dressing on formal evenings. Please, do we not need X number of items of clothing for X number of days. We pack a val pack with our formal clothes, husband's suit, dress shirts, shoes, ties. I also toss in my formal wear. This is just what we do and have done for the past 17 cruises, flying or not. We will be sailing in just over two weeks on the Sapphire, driving to the pier so luggage weight is no issue, but for this cruise we have decided not to do formal nights. This is a first for us and this will be our 18th cruise. The first formal evening we will "dine" in the Horizion Court, our second formal evening we will do the Sterling Steakhouse, we will however be dressed in very nice clothes, not a suit for DH or velvet pantsuit for me, but dressed in slacks and dress shirt for hubby, and black slacks and a dressy top with some bling for me. We will give it a go and see how it feels, who knows we may decide we like not doing formal evenings in the dining room any more . Always a new adventure!:)

I couldn't agree more - either pack formal clothes and go to the MDR, or don't and eat at HC or in your room. Its your choice, but you should own that choice, however you decide. Excuses about this are lame. Period.

As I posted earlier...... there is NO STRAIGHT ANSWER and, there is no point in beating each other up over this!

Agree to disagree.....

Live and let live.....

Que sera sera....

I've run outta cliches...... ;)

Time to move on and put the lock on this thread! :cool:

It sounds like I'm in the minority, CNDDB1, but I totally disagree with all the advice that you've been given.

That's EXACTLY how my husband and I dressed for both formal nights last year on the Island Princess. (Dress for me, slacks and a open shirt/no jacket for him). Absolutely NOBODY, including the Maitre D', gave any indication that they cared in the least that we weren't as dressy as some people. And we didn't care in the least that some people were more dressy than us.

I really wish that people would stop obsessing about this formal dressing thing. As long as you aren't in shorts or a bathing suit, wear what you want and go have dinner in the Main Dining Room. There's no reason that you should have to feel like a 2nd class citizen and be relegated (whether it is self-relegated or not) to the buffet.

I totally agree! I've only been on the one Princess cruise (a recent b2b on the CB) and found that my husband, dressed much as you describe (except he wore a sport coat as well) "fit in" just fine! I saw dudes in sandals on formal night, saw some suspenders, and, yes, I saw tuxedos as well, but non of it seemed to bother anyone. I caution that you may be turned away (this wasn't happening to anyone on our cruise(s) but there is always that risk that the dress code will be enforced).......but if that happens, I myself wouldn't be mortified as others claim they would be - I'd just shrug and head to the buffet where, in my opinion, the food was far superior anyway.

Discussing Dress code on Cruise Critic is like discussing politics. It gets very heated and very ugly and at the end of the day no one changes their opinions on the matter. Its the ultimate exercise in futility on Cruise Critic.

My husband and I are cruising for the first time next week. We are thinking about not participating in formal nights either by eatting in the HC or getting room service those nights. My concern was with regard to what else might be going on on formal night (that I didn't want to miss :) - are there events that follow dinner that are "formal attire" (like shows, etc)? Am I correct in assuming that if we were watching a movie (MUTS) we wouldn't be in the vicinity of the formally attired folks?

Thanks for any feedback.

My husband and I are cruising for the first time next week. We are thinking about not participating in formal nights either by eatting in the HC or getting room service those nights. My concern was with regard to what else might be going on on formal night (that I didn't want to miss :) - are there events that follow dinner that are "formal attire" (like shows, etc)? Am I correct in assuming that if we were watching a movie (MUTS) we wouldn't be in the vicinity of the formally attired folks?

Thanks for any feedback.

The only thing on formal night that is considered "formal attire" is the dinner itself and maybe the captain's cocktail party. Of course, there is picture taking and the champagne waterfall, but you don't have to be dressed up to enjoy these activities. However, I will say that for my wife and I when we do not participate in formal night, we tend to avoid the piazza area because we feel out of place in our shorts and sandals. MUTS is certainly not formal at any time, and you will see people wearing smart casual and casual clothing to shows on formal nights.

You might also consider the specialty restaurants, as they are not required formal attire even on formal nights. There is a charge for them. We were on the Crown last week and went to the Crown Grill on the two formal nights and had a wonderful time.

Mike

The only thing on formal night that is considered "formal attire" is the dinner itself and maybe the captain's cocktail party. Of course, there is picture taking and the champagne waterfall, but you don't have to be dressed up to enjoy these activities. However, I will say that for my wife and I when we do not participate in formal night, we tend to avoid the piazza area because we feel out of place in our shorts and sandals. MUTS is certainly not formal at any time, and you will see people wearing smart casual and casual clothing to shows on formal nights.

You might also consider the specialty restaurants, as they are not required formal attire even on formal nights. There is a charge for them. We were on the Crown last week and went to the Crown Grill on the two formal nights and had a wonderful time.

Mike

Thanks Mike! I'll make a mental note to avoid the piazza for the same reason. We just want to keep it "low key" with dinner and a movie! Thanks for the tip!

As I posted earlier...... there is NO STRAIGHT ANSWER

Well, of course there is. There is a very explicit dress code stated in the answer book, and Princess requests (not "suggests") it be followed. The only thing that is not explicit is "We reserve the right to turn away inappropriately dressed guests," but many of us have seen it happen.

Why not do a poll and ask what the women are wearing? Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. :D;)

What I've noticed, as a veteran of many rancorous dress threads, is that at least 99% of the objections to dressing properly come from (or pertain to) men. I leave it to Freudians and sociologists to figure out why.

Archived