First Cruise - Which One? - The real thread

faynce

Hello again, folks. Sorry for noobing up my first thread. This one is actually correct and will replace the previous one, now that I know not to add links.

Hello, folks. The wifey and I are taking our first cruise. We're buying the cruise in a week. We know for sure we want a Carribbean cruise. We don't really want to spend a ton of time in Cozumel and such, unless they're on their way to something more interesting or if they have good, clear water for snorkelling with the wildlife. We really want to go to more relaxed or exotic locations for our first cruise - places that aren't full of 4 for $10 T-shirt shops and party locations. I would *really* love a stop or two where I can snorkel in crystal clear water.

These are the cruises we are considering. Please weigh in on which one would be the best.

This first one is the most expensive (because we have to buy plane tickets to San Juan). This ends up being, with tax, $2300 for the two of us. We like the idea of this cruise the most, but the idea of spending that much for a first cruise makes us choke a bit. The itinerary:

"Departs From San Juan, Puerto Rico visiting Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas >> Bridgetown, Barbados >> Castries, St. Lucia >> Basseterre, St. Kitts >> Philipsburg, St. Maarten"

This second one goes through mutliple countries and is only $699 each before taxes.

"Departs From Tampa, Florida visiting Cozumel, Mexico >> Belize City, Belize >> Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras >> George Town, Grand Cayman"

This next one is also $699, but stops at Costa Maya. Don't they have some neat ruins there? I do love me some ancient ruins. We were in Scotland not too long ago and the best part was climbing through the castle ruins. I'm tempted to just buy this one right now, but what will the rest of the locations be like? Will there be crystal-blue water for snorkelling?

"Departs From Port Canaveral, Florida visiting Cozumel, Mexico >> Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras >> Belize City, Belize >> Costa Maya, Mexico"

This next Eastern Carribbean one looks neat, including a private island. Are private islands nice? $799 per.

"Departs From Miami, Florida visiting Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island) >> Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas >> San Juan, Puerto Rico >> Grand Turk Island"

There was also another one for $100 more that went to St. Maarten. Is St. Maarten that good?

Which one do you recommend? Why? We are just so stumped. Please help us! Also, what is the difference between a "Western Carribbean" and an "Exotic Western Carribbean" cruise? I really would like to know!

Thank you so much in advance!

Erik and Tonya

You said in your other post you didn't want to spend time in Cozumel, so that takes out choices 2 and 3. I would favor choice one, as it has some places I haven't been. But too expensive for your tastes. So that narrows it down to choice 4, which I would be fine with.

What cruiseline(s) are you considering?

You might want to think about an Eastern or Southern Caribbean cruise, rather than Western, if you want to avoid tourist trap ports like Cozumel. (I really dislike Cozumel, as you can tell. But that's only MO!)

I just got back from an Eastern Caribbean cruise a couple of weeks ago, on the Emerald Princess, and we visited Antigua, St Lucia, Barbados, St Kitts, St Thomas, and Princess' private island, Princess Cays. I didn't snorkel, but some friends did, and said it was excellent in Antigua and St Thomas. We did a really great catamaran sailing at St Lucia. Antigua has gorgeous white sand beaches.

And the cruise was round trip Ft Lauderdale.

Just something to think about!

Hello again, folks.

Erik and Tonya

Just my opinion. You have not given any consideration to the ship. For me, that is the most important part of selecting the cruise.

Why? Because the islands have little significance to me. I like to either plan sailing or snorkeling trips or visit a beautiful beach. No shopping, no sightseeing, no walking around any cities, etc.

And I love the days at sea on the ship.

Hello, folks. The wifey and I are taking our first cruise. We're buying the cruise in a week. We know for sure we want a Carribbean cruise.

Firstly, welcome to the world of cruising! :D All your cruises look great to me, so you should have a wonderful time no matter what! Be aware that cruising is addictive, so you'll probably have a chance to check out all these itineraries eventually ;)

We don't really want to spend a ton of time in Cozumel and such, unless they're on their way to something more interesting or if they have good, clear water for snorkelling with the wildlife. We really want to go to more relaxed or exotic locations for our first cruise - places that aren't full of 4 for $10 T-shirt shops and party locations. I would *really* love a stop or two where I can snorkel in crystal clear water.

Please don't be so quick to dismiss Cozumel. Snorkeling there is FANTASTIC - great visibility, lots of bright corals, lots of different types of fish. There are boat tours and also places to snorkel on your own (try Chankannab Park). Highly recommended to get in that beautiful turquoise water - nice and warm and lots to see! And if you head to the far side of the island after a snorkeling trip, you'll completely avoid the crowds, shopping, and tourist traps. There are some great beach restaurants and bars with a more authentic experience.

This first one is the most expensive (because we have to buy plane tickets to San Juan). This ends up being, with tax, $2300 for the two of us. We like the idea of this cruise the most, but the idea of spending that much for a first cruise makes us choke a bit. The itinerary:

"Departs From San Juan, Puerto Rico visiting Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas >> Bridgetown, Barbados >> Castries, St. Lucia >> Basseterre, St. Kitts >> Philipsburg, St. Maarten"

Ah, yes, the dilemma of a Southern Caribbean cruise. I am actually in the same debate right now...western Caribbean from Florida or suck up the expense and fly to Puerto Rico to do the Southern Caribbean. This is a lovely itinerary with varied excursions - some great beaches, snorkeling stops, and island tours available. Look into some excursion activities that interest you and add up their cost along with the airfare & cruise fare to come up with a total cost. Even though it's expensive to get to San Juan, you may find the total cost difference isn't as great as you originally thought - for example, a taxi on St. Thomas will bring you to some great places for snorkeling from shore and will cost much less than for example a tour to the ruins in Mexico. So you may make up some of the cost difference.

This second one goes through mutliple countries and is only $699 each before taxes.

"Departs From Tampa, Florida visiting Cozumel, Mexico >> Belize City, Belize >> Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras >> George Town, Grand Cayman"

Great snorkeling in each of those ports, and it sounds like that is a priority for you. Take advantage of it! Also, you'll find ruins in Belize (another priority for you) or, if you're willing to put in a long day, the Tulum ruins are accessible from Cozumel.

This next one is also $699, but stops at Costa Maya. Don't they have some neat ruins there? I do love me some ancient ruins. We were in Scotland not too long ago and the best part was climbing through the castle ruins. I'm tempted to just buy this one right now, but what will the rest of the locations be like? Will there be crystal-blue water for snorkelling?

"Departs From Port Canaveral, Florida visiting Cozumel, Mexico >> Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras >> Belize City, Belize >> Costa Maya, Mexico"

Yes, there are ruins in Costa Maya - Chacchoben are closest (I found them interesting when I went, but now that I've been to other ruins as well, I would rank them only "okay" compared to others). Kohunlich and another set (can't remember the name) are also accessible from Costa Maya, though further away. We found snorkeling in Costa Maya to be so-so, but as mentioned before, good snorkeling in Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel. Ruins out of Belize are also available.

This next Eastern Carribbean one looks neat, including a private island. Are private islands nice? $799 per.

"Departs From Miami, Florida visiting Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island) >> Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas >> San Juan, Puerto Rico >> Grand Turk Island"

Really can't comment a whole lot since I'm mostly unfamiliar with the Eastern Caribbean. Snorkeling for sure in St Thomas. From my research, usually the port stops in San Juan & Grand Turk are fairly short - is that an issue for you? I like long days, with plenty of time to explore, but a lot of people are content with half a day in port and a lot of time on the ship sundeck :) I've only been to the Princess private island, so can't comment specifically for Half Moon Cay - but the Princess island was a beautiful beach with limited activities. But if there's good snorkeling at HMC, maybe that doesn't matter to you.

Also, what is the difference between a "Western Carribbean" and an "Exotic Western Carribbean" cruise? I really would like to know!

"Exotic" is just a word that cruise lines use to distinguish itineraries. Perhaps at one point ports like Roatan were "exotic" but now so many ships go there, that each of these itineraries is fairly well-traveled and not really "exotic". Don't worry about the title, just look into the itinerary that best suits you.

Based on the limited information you shared, I'd choose either the cruise with Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Grand Cayman OR the cruise with Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Costa Maya. These are the itineraries that offer both of your touring preferences - snorkeling and ruins. Pick a day for each of those, and use the other port stops for more snorkeling and ruins if they are a huge interest to you or something entirely different to add variety to your trip :) But seriously, none of these are bad choices, so no matter which you choose, you'll enjoy your cruise!

My husband loves to snorkel and we have done 5 Caribbean cruises, his favorite spot for snorkelling is Roatan, Honduras......says it's the best he has seen. We took an excursion to Tabyana Beach, the guys snorkelled and the girls enjoyed the beach, drinks and the music. It was awesome!!

I second the fact that Cozumel has amazing snorkeling~!! I've snorkled there and could see about 60+ feet below to the scuba divers below us~! Also talked to people who have snorkled all over the Caribbean and said that Coz is one of the best spots~

Also I've heard that Belize is another fabulous site for snorkling~~

Well! With all the glowing recommendations for Cozumel as an excellent snorkeling site, I will put it back on my list! Perhaps I can use Cozumel as a definite snorkeling day, leaving the other days for excursions.

Thank you for your input! Please keep giving me more opinions!

this is my choice:

cozumel -- ruins and snorkling tours

belize -- also snorkling and ruins

roatan -- snorkling

george town -- swim the stingrays

It looks like I'll be doing a Carnival cruise. The trip will be in late June/early July.

Hate to be the one to mention this but if a storm/hurricane happens to be near or around you're path when you are traveling even though you are on a Western Caribbean it could turn into an Eastern Caribbean or even a cruise to nowhere. Should be prepared because the cruiselines have the right to change the destinations.

Hello again, folks. Sorry for noobing up my first thread. This one is actually correct and will replace the previous one, now that I know not to add links.

Hello, folks. The wifey and I are taking our first cruise. We're buying the cruise in a week. We know for sure we want a Carribbean cruise. We don't really want to spend a ton of time in Cozumel and such, unless they're on their way to something more interesting or if they have good, clear water for snorkelling with the wildlife. We really want to go to more relaxed or exotic locations for our first cruise - places that aren't full of 4 for $10 T-shirt shops and party locations. I would *really* love a stop or two where I can snorkel in crystal clear water.

These are the cruises we are considering. Please weigh in on which one would be the best.

There was also another one for $100 more that went to St. Maarten. Is St. Maarten that good?

Which one do you recommend? Why? We are just so stumped. Please help us! Also, what is the difference between a "Western Carribbean" and an "Exotic Western Carribbean" cruise? I really would like to know!

Erik and Tonya

The Carnival Legend and the Carnival Valor are both going to the same ports, just in a different order. Of those two I would take the Legend over the Valor because I thing the Spirit class ships (the Legend is a Spirit class ship) offer a better experience than the Conquest class ships (the Valor is a Conquest class ship). Note, both go to Belize. Belize requires a long tender ride. Of course the Carnival Dream also goes to Belize. Basically the Dream is offering the same cruise, except it goes to Costa Maya instead of Grand Cayman.

All the islands have the four shirts for $10 stores. In fact I can find those stores in Santa Barbara, California too. Nonetheless, based on what you are looking for, Grand Cayman seems to fit your description the best. Also, you can find ruins in Belize also.

The Western Caribbean has the better snorkeling sites. That said, you can find good snorkeling at almost any island in the Caribbean. All you need is clear shallow water with some rocks. I am not a big fan of of port intensive cruises, and thus shy away from the one week cruises out of San Juan (I have been on one and visiting five ports in a row was tiring).

Private islands are highly rated. The other three stops on the Carnival Liberty cruise are also nice ports to visit. For a first time I would suggest the Carnival Liberty.

Welcome to Cruise Critic

What cruise line(s) and ship(s) are you considering? There are far greater differences across cruise lines and ships than you will encounter across the various Caribbean ports. You will have similar opportunities for snorkeling or what not in the various Caribbean ports. You will be spending about six times more time on the ship than on land. IMHO you first need to decide on a cruise line, then what class of ship within that cruise line and then narrow down the itinerary. If this were a Europe cruise, then itinerary would be very important, but for a Caribbean cruise the itinerary really should not be the main issue.

Hate to be the one to mention this but if a storm/hurricane happens to be near or around you're path when you are traveling even though you are on a Western Caribbean it could turn into an Eastern Caribbean or even a cruise to nowhere. Should be prepared because the cruiselines have the right to change the destinations.

Most hurricanes in June or early July go up the East Coast. Late season hurricanes go into the Gulf Coast.

Archived