Pre/Post Antarctica Hotel Stays

ShyOne60

Hello! My husband and I are booked on our first Silversea cruise on the PAII in February. Apparently, no details are set this far out on pre-and post-Silversea trips, such as a stay in Buenos Aires or Igauzo Falls. As we are trying to arrange our air in advance, we are trying to decide whether it is better to arrange these "side trips" ourselves or to wait to see what Silversea has to offer. Is there anyone who has used Silversea's hotel programs on their Antarctica voyage? Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, the last review of the PAII was somewhat discouraging after so many wonderful reviews. Should we take this with a grain of salt?

We stayed with Silverseas' pre-cruise hotel program in the Park Tower (right next to the Sheraton) and thought the hotel was really quite nice. The location was convenient for us; we did almost everything on foot and it was close to what we wanted to see. The transfers were flawless, and the room was ready for early check-in after we arrived in the morning on an overnight flight which was a big plus.

Can't comment on Iguazu Falls - didn't have time for that.

You have to take ALL reviews with a large grain of salt. Read our review (link below) and you'll think we sailed on a different ship. Everyone has different expectations and if the cruise doesn't meet them then you won't enjoy it. Enjoy Antarctica; it's spectacular, and hope your experience matches ours!

Although we have not sailed on the PA II to Antarctica, we did sail out of BA this past January on the Silver Whisper. We booked the Sofitel in BA and were quite pleased with the service and location of the hotel. We made our own reservations to go to Iguazu Falls for one night and stayed at the Sheraton Hotel on the Argentine side of the falls. The transfer from the airport to the Sheraton is very easy by taxi. If you stay at the Sheraton, pay up and get a room with the falls view. It is worth every penny to wake up to that view.

We had considered doing the Silversea excursion to the falls, but by doing it ourselves, we saved over $1,000 per person. Because I had "saved" so much money, we actually kept our room at the Sofitel for the night we were gone. In that way, we didn't have to pack and unpack. Our evening flight back from Iguazu was cancelled, but we were fortunate to get the last flight back that night. We didn't get back to the hotel until 2 am. It was nice that our things were already unpacked at that hour of the morning.

If I were to do that portion of the trip again, I would spend an extra night in BA so that we could see more of the city. Since we were so late getting back from the falls, we had no time that evening to go out. The next morning, we slept in until it was time to embark. One word of caution - if you go to the falls, get an early flight out from BA and do not reserve the last flight in the evening for your return. Give yourself an extra day upon your return before sailing day just in case...

The falls are magnificent and well worth the trip. We thought that an full afternoon and most of the following day was enough to see them adequately. We did not go to the Brazilian side.

Do not take a good camera when you go to La Garganta del diabolo falls (the horseshoe falls), or at least take a really good plastic bag. I took an underwater camera which worked perfectly.

A fellow cruisecritic.com member gave us the name of his driver in BA. That worked out fabulously well - he even picked us up at the airport at 1:30 in the morning when we returned.

Thank you both for your replies, as they were very helpful in our planning. Maybe the thing to do will be to use Silversea's pre-hotel stay, but plan our own trip to Iguazu Falls.

ShyOne, Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We have been to Buenos Aires several times. First time excluding traveling there for business was with Seabourn and we used their hotel program. This is one of those places that if I could do it again I would not have used the hotel program so I just wanted to mention that.

If you are interested in a couple of very nice hotels here are two to consider ranked in priority order.

Alvear Palace

Four Seasons (club floor if possible)

Do try to spend a few days in Buenos Aires. It is very European and there is much to do day and night. At night try to take in a tango show.

Your cruise will be wonderful.

Best to you as you finalize your travel plans.

Keith

Thanks, Keith. We are sure that we are going to stay a few days post cruise in Buenos Aires, as it has been a dream of my husband's for quite a few years, and we have already looked into the Alvear Palace, so we're pleased that you mentioned it as well. Thanks also for giving your thoughts on not doing the hotel program, which was my original question, and what we needed feedback on. As with anything, there are always pros and cons, and I guess it will come down to what we think the "airport transfers" are worth!

I go often to BA. I stay either Sherathon Libertador or Tryp Buenos Aires (Accor) both downtown. But there are plenty of options.

You can find my review of PA II at : http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=66321

Next August I am doing Artic with PA II.

I will be glad to answer any question about PA II or about BA, the Falls.

• 2 weeks later...

4 Seasons BA for us, it was incredible, not that pricey compared to their stateside locations, and there were some really nice local food choices nearby for a non-tourist local lunch and or supper

Though, it is 'touristy' I highly reccomend 'La Cabrera' for dinner - It does not open until 10:00p, but we had a simple cheese app that rivaled anything we've ever eaten in Greece, and the filet mignon literally was to die for, single-handidly one of the best meals of my life

jc

toronto

Thanks, Keith. We are sure that we are going to stay a few days post cruise in Buenos Aires, as it has been a dream of my husband's for quite a few years, and we have already looked into the Alvear Palace, so we're pleased that you mentioned it as well. Thanks also for giving your thoughts on not doing the hotel program, which was my original question, and what we needed feedback on. As with anything, there are always pros and cons, and I guess it will come down to what we think the "airport transfers" are worth!

ShyOne, good luck with all of this. The airport is about a one hour drive to the city. You could possibly write to the concierge at the Alvear Palace to see what the cost of a private car would be.

Keith

Archived